Westmeath Forum

Leinster Senior Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

No surprise with the news that Leinster Council want Westmeath vs Dublin to be played in Tullamore to generate more revenue. This game should be played in Mullingar even if capacity is 11k. Before this I would have been very cagey about calling for boycotts etc but I see no other way to address this if Leinster Council go ahead and get the game in Tullamore

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 08/10/2019 12:02:29    2242027

Link

sorry you want us to boycott a game we have no chance of winning . very sound thinking . go to tullamore take our medicine and move on . end of story

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1161 - 08/10/2019 14:58:38    2242066

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "sorry you want us to boycott a game we have no chance of winning . very sound thinking . go to tullamore take our medicine and move on . end of story"
No way it should be in Tullamore the only chance to get the dubs in Mullingar
It's Mullingar or nowhere same as Newbridge
Why should we go away for our games

nearlymadeit (Westmeath) - Posts: 74 - 08/10/2019 15:07:45    2242070

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "sorry you want us to boycott a game we have no chance of winning . very sound thinking . go to tullamore take our medicine and move on . end of story"
Mick, you are your own man so you make up your own mind. I won't be going to Tullamore for a game that you cannot argue should be played there. The game should be in Mullingar, end of story

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 08/10/2019 15:25:18    2242078

Link

I would support a Boycott.
The chances of winning the game should not have anything to do with basic fairness and level competition.
Boycotts are terrible because we all want to support our lads who put in so much work but at some stage we have to think about the next generation, will they want to play and should they have to put up with this nonsense.

The Blue wave document clearly sets out the plan to make Dublin Gaa successful (it worked!), the moving of all league and championship games to croker for them, Bertie's 5 mil, 17 years of unfair funding that is countinuing this year next year and beyond and the constant denial that any of this makes a difference and we should just volunteer harder is an insult.

At some stage people are going to have to stand up to continuing skewing of fair competition or attendances will keep falling and apathy around inter county football will set in, if it hasn't already.

Boycott and if they throw us out we can have a great extended club season!, thats what the gaa is really about anyway and you never know it might make them think.

BigRon1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 80 - 08/10/2019 15:27:05    2242079

Link

Replying To nearlymadeit:  "No way it should be in Tullamore the only chance to get the dubs in Mullingar
It's Mullingar or nowhere same as Newbridge
Why should we go away for our games"
well then i suppose its nowhere

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1161 - 08/10/2019 15:31:21    2242082

Link

Replying To BigRon1:  "I would support a Boycott.
The chances of winning the game should not have anything to do with basic fairness and level competition.
Boycotts are terrible because we all want to support our lads who put in so much work but at some stage we have to think about the next generation, will they want to play and should they have to put up with this nonsense.

The Blue wave document clearly sets out the plan to make Dublin Gaa successful (it worked!), the moving of all league and championship games to croker for them, Bertie's 5 mil, 17 years of unfair funding that is countinuing this year next year and beyond and the constant denial that any of this makes a difference and we should just volunteer harder is an insult.

At some stage people are going to have to stand up to continuing skewing of fair competition or attendances will keep falling and apathy around inter county football will set in, if it hasn't already.

Boycott and if they throw us out we can have a great extended club season!, thats what the gaa is really about anyway and you never know it might make them think."
Not getting into your figures there Ron as in my opinion this has nothing to do with Dublin. We should have the right to host our own games regardless of the opposition. Local businesses who support Westmeath clubs and county could do with having increased numbers of visitors on the streets. Westmeath kids deserve the right to watch their own county men on their own pitch against the best team in the country. Leinster Council has a chance to make the right decision here but history would say they won't budge until they are embarrassed into it

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 08/10/2019 15:59:15    2242092

Link

Replying To Darragh:  "Not getting into your figures there Ron as in my opinion this has nothing to do with Dublin. We should have the right to host our own games regardless of the opposition. Local businesses who support Westmeath clubs and county could do with having increased numbers of visitors on the streets. Westmeath kids deserve the right to watch their own county men on their own pitch against the best team in the country. Leinster Council has a chance to make the right decision here but history would say they won't budge until they are embarrassed into it"
Cusack Park is not fit for purpose when it comes to a game like this, the facilities are a disgrace for a county ground in this day and age, end of story

locklanegale (Wexford) - Posts: 17 - 08/10/2019 16:36:14    2242103

Link

Replying To Darragh:  "Not getting into your figures there Ron as in my opinion this has nothing to do with Dublin. We should have the right to host our own games regardless of the opposition. Local businesses who support Westmeath clubs and county could do with having increased numbers of visitors on the streets. Westmeath kids deserve the right to watch their own county men on their own pitch against the best team in the country. Leinster Council has a chance to make the right decision here but history would say they won't budge until they are embarrassed into it"
Yep Its not Dublins fault over the funding or the venues but I do feel it all needs addressing but anyway on this game alone I 100% agree with you. Westmeath the team or the county shold not be denied this fixture.

Will Tullamore even sell out I doubt it

BigRon1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 80 - 08/10/2019 17:13:22    2242110

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "Cusack Park is not fit for purpose when it comes to a game like this, the facilities are a disgrace for a county ground in this day and age, end of story"
This is nonsense, I have been in a sold out Cusack park and the facilities are perfectly fine for a match.

What do you think was a "disgrace"? and what would you improve as when we get a big game its taken away from us

BigRon1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 80 - 08/10/2019 17:18:15    2242112

Link

Replying To locklanegale:  "Cusack Park is not fit for purpose when it comes to a game like this, the facilities are a disgrace for a county ground in this day and age, end of story"
If it is good enough for League, qualifier games and Leinster Championship with the exception of Dublin then it's good enough for this game. The ground does need upgrading no doubt but the game should still be played in Mullingar. It's our right and should not be given/taken away purely for financial reasons

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 08/10/2019 17:20:45    2242114

Link

What was the last sold out game in Mullingar?

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1672 - 08/10/2019 17:34:41    2242116

Link

Replying To valley84:  "What was the last sold out game in Mullingar?"
The biggest crowd I saw in Cusack Park was the O Byrne Cup final against Meath in 2004. Westmeath definitely should insist this game is in Mullingar; a joke otherwise.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 897 - 08/10/2019 17:52:31    2242120

Link

There probably hasn't been a sell out for a while Valley. Would it be too much to ask for what is right and get this game to Mullingar? The benefit to businesses, the buzz for kids in the county, craic around Mullingar getting ready for it......if the game is in Tullamore then all that is gone

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 08/10/2019 18:15:51    2242129

Link

yea the one I was referring too was that meath match, great atmosphere!

BigRon1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 80 - 08/10/2019 20:03:33    2242162

Link

I see Leinster council have conveniently now said they were drawn as 'fixtures' rather than home/away venues. I don't get the Gaa obsession with the Dub supporters getting to matches. Not everyone who wants to go to the champions league final or a concert get a ticket and that's tough luck! I'd have no doubt a Dublin match in Cusack Park would be an 11,000 sell out and those without tickets it's their tough luck. As a previous poster suggested, many shops and businesses who support Westmeath clubs deserve some support in return.

Wmeath2 (Westmeath) - Posts: 91 - 08/10/2019 22:27:54    2242216

Link

This guy is new here. Every post so far shows he's just a wind up merchant best ignored. Of course the game should be in Cusack which does need to be improved. But its well fit to take 11000 that's 2k more than watched Louth and Dublin.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 698 - 09/10/2019 00:39:26    2242233

Link

Only 14K showed up for the Dubs game v Louth this year in Portlaise when it part of a double header with Meath V Carlow so I doubt Tullamore would sell out. Better to have it sold out in Mullingar

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 243 - 09/10/2019 08:21:15    2242245

Link

Replying To jobber:  "This guy is new here. Every post so far shows he's just a wind up merchant best ignored. Of course the game should be in Cusack which does need to be improved. But its well fit to take 11000 that's 2k more than watched Louth and Dublin."
Absolutely Jobber, it's just right that the game be played in Mullingar. Haven't heard or seen a word from Westmeath GAA on this, would be nice to hear their thoughts on how they plan on asking local businesses to support them in future when they allow games to be sent to Tullamore. That's not even taking into account the buzz this would generate locally and the interest we could use in encouraging our own kids to play the game. It's a massive lost opportunity if its let happen

Darragh (Westmeath) - Posts: 292 - 09/10/2019 12:29:26    2242323

Link

Lets see if our Leinster Council delegates can earn their votes this time around.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 110 - 09/10/2019 15:17:09    2242382

Link