Longford Forum

Longford Championship 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Will be all the sweeter when that "certain club" come from nowhere to reclaim the crown this year!!!

I'd wait to see if Killoe can get over Colmcille first before starting to talk about winning the championship. One step at a time. (And given that they're second in the league at the moment, it's hardly "coming from nowhere" - that might be a fairer description if Clonguish, Slashers or - Lord save us - Abbey manage to win Connolly.)

As for the slagging off of Killoe, it's a rural club that has managed to stay in the senior ranks for 40 + years when many others have yoyoed up and down. Again for a rural club has had great underage success and has supplied many fine footballers for the county team.

It's a *large* rural club (population >1700) and has benefited from being close to Longford town and thereby attracting people who work there but don't want to live in the town itself. Much the same applies to Clonguish. Places like Dromard and Abbeylara have it harder in comparison, not to mention some of the serious underperformers.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 97 - 29/08/2019 16:58:54    2230483

Link

Replying To Oddball:  "From what I have heard Larry Moran is injured. I think 2 years ago they played 7 mins injury time (everyone was puzzled where it came from), gave them a free straight in front of the posts for nothing to earn a replay. Clonguish were missing 3 starters I think from that day for the replay (Sweeney, Burke and P. Barden). Their luck was bound to run out some day. Killoe full strength and Mull full strength....the boys from Clonee would have it."
God help you oddball that's a lot of anger your carrying around with you if your dragging stuff up about the championship 2 years ago. Killoe and Mullinalaghta are 2 great teams who've had a great rivalry during this decade but as it stands in the record books Mullinaghta have done the 3 in a row and Killoe haven't and have also added a Leinster on top of that so to me they would appear to be the obvious better team especially considering the base they are pulling from. But they're is a lot more mileage left in both these teams and those records could all change again. So Oddball if the basis of all your arguments is to continually moan about past refereeing decisions then you may be best served by saying nothing at all there's a good lad.

hotspur (Longford) - Posts: 5 - 29/08/2019 20:24:12    2230520

Link

Replying To Oddball:  "From what I have heard Larry Moran is injured. I think 2 years ago they played 7 mins injury time (everyone was puzzled where it came from), gave them a free straight in front of the posts for nothing to earn a replay. Clonguish were missing 3 starters I think from that day for the replay (Sweeney, Burke and P. Barden). Their luck was bound to run out some day. Killoe full strength and Mull full strength....the boys from Clonee would have it."
Oddball are you seriously suggesting that Mullinalaghta won 3 county titles and a Leinster club title purely because of referees, haha, jealousy is a terrible thing I suppose !

Wendy (Leitrim) - Posts: 2 - 29/08/2019 22:41:10    2230548

Link

Yeah how anybody could say 15 v 15 killoe are a better team after what mullinalaghta have achieved is just silly

honlongford (Longford) - Posts: 133 - 30/08/2019 08:00:10    2230581

Link

There's an old Internet proverb "don't feed the trolls", lads.

TurnipAyter (Longford) - Posts: 97 - 30/08/2019 13:57:51    2230688

Link

Anyway lets move on from that
This weekend double header.. abbey should win, slashers might pip clonguish going by there colmcille performance but i read in the paper williams is back for clonguish should be a big boost for them. Real 50-50 on that side they will all fancy there chances

honlongford (Longford) - Posts: 133 - 30/08/2019 14:59:08    2230717

Link

Well done Slashers. Peter Hanley the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

lawdan (Longford) - Posts: 91 - 01/09/2019 11:23:51    2231134

Link

Replying To lawdan:  "Well done Slashers. Peter Hanley the grass isn't always greener on the other side."
Have I missed something??? Did Slashers just win the County title??? Why the gra against young Hanly, Lawdan?? Has he not played football for Clonguish all the way from underage?

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 751 - 02/09/2019 12:55:33    2231854

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Well my Colmcille v Mullinalaghta county final scenario can't happen with the draw. If pressed I would go for last 4 of Mullinalaghta, Dromard, Abbey & Clonguish with Mullinalaghta v Clonguish decider and Mullinalaghta win. Whoever wins the Colmcille/Mullinalaghta game has one hand on the cup. Either of them are capable of winning it."
Three of your 'last 4' choices gone - just Abbey left - These predictions are really dangerous - they catch you out and then its back to the drawing board.

CHESELDORMAY (Longford) - Posts: 30 - 02/09/2019 14:18:23    2231900

Link

Any thoughs on Abbey this year. Not going well in league, but still winning championship matches. 1 match away from 5th county final in a row, can they win it? I would have thought Colmcille are the team best placed now, but that Killoe game could easily trip them up if they drop their performance from the quarter final.
Lawdan, I though personal attacks were the thing for twitter!

botheyesclosed (Longford) - Posts: 24 - 02/09/2019 14:38:37    2231910

Link

As seen from this forum predictions seem to be a bit off this year. I think the Killoe vs Colmcille will ultimately decide the winners of the senior championship. Colmcille have all the momentum but Killoe cannot be underestimated, alot of the players on this team have 3 championships in their back pockets and with a mix of youth and experience they seem to be chomping at the bit to take back the Connelly cup. Sundays game is going to be very interesting.

As for Slashers vs Abbeylara, neither team have had a great league campaign. With the boys from. Abbeylara in particular being bottom of the league. But this is a great chance for either team to make a county final and both will be very keen to take it. Could be one last chance at a county championship for some of the players from the great Slashers team of early 2010's.

Exciting stuff, can't wait to see it all unfold.

Rhyne13 (Longford) - Posts: 1 - 03/09/2019 10:58:44    2232279

Link

I really dont understand why poeple keep writing Abbeylara off. They are very poor in the league but always produce in the championship (apart from the final of course). Last year they did beat the 2 so called favorites this year Kiloe and Colmcille in the quarters and semis while also pushing the Leicester champs to a draw the first day before been blown out the next.

They manage to do this while always having injuries and people away like Robbie Smith who was missing the whole of last year and this year so far a long with a whole list of other injuries.

I think they can go all the way this year if they get afew lads back.

greengrass83 (Longford) - Posts: 2 - 04/09/2019 10:05:27    2232653

Link

Opportunity missed for Colmcille? Didn't look to have the tools to hurt Killoe yesterday.

Dreadful standard of football in the second half.

Killoe also picked up yet more serious looking injuries.

zzidane (Longford) - Posts: 12 - 09/09/2019 15:04:41    2233870

Link

Mullinalaghta lost to 14 man Colmcille…..Killoe hammer Colmcille. I think my point has been proven that Killoe are a far better team than Mullinalaghta even with a few lads still out injured.

Oddball (Roscommon) - Posts: 751 - 10/09/2019 10:20:18    2234040

Link

Replying To Oddball:  "Mullinalaghta lost to 14 man Colmcille…..Killoe hammer Colmcille. I think my point has been proven that Killoe are a far better team than Mullinalaghta even with a few lads still out injured."
A team that has never won a Leinster club championship better than a team that has actually won one. What planet are you on ? Until Killoe emulate Mullinalagtha they are just another team from Longford that took part like Clonguish, Abbeylara, Ballymahon etc etc NB Killoe have won nothing yet.

Regulator (Longford) - Posts: 1 - 11/09/2019 15:22:55    2234470

Link

Replying To CHESELDORMAY:  "Three of your 'last 4' choices gone - just Abbey left - These predictions are really dangerous - they catch you out and then its back to the drawing board."
Crashed and burned indeed. Shur no fun in it if you don't throw out a prediction and put the neck on the line.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 74 - 12/09/2019 14:30:54    2234753

Link

Killoe's championship to lose now. The remaining semi-final could go either way - both had league form which is nothing short of disgraceful, but they both can perform on the day in Championship. I feel nervous for Abbey going for 5th final in a row final. In one way it is an incredible achievement, but a 5th loss would be utterly devastating. I'd forecast (and as noted above, I am not standing on much high ground there) a Killoe v Slashers final with Killoe having an edge.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 74 - 12/09/2019 14:37:08    2234754

Link

Power Rankings

1. Killoe
2. Slashers
3. Clonguish
4. Colmcille
5. Abbeylara
6. Dromard
7. Mullinalaghta
8. Carrickedmond
9. Mostrim