Roscommon Forum

Roscommon U20s 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A very disappointing result but hats off to the players they gave everything for the cause. I really hope that's the last we have seen of Curran anywhere near a county set up - simply out of his depth. He was lucky last year and should have been well beaten by Sligo in the first round and really Leitrim should have beaten us last weekend. Well done to the players for their efforts though. Last year I could see the likes of McKeon making the jump to senior. I just don't see it this year with this group. The pick of the defenders is Evan Flynn and forwards young Dowd but apart from this I can see nobody currently making the jump. Players like Heneghan and Walsh who both were not available are players who can definitely make that jump.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 190 - 03/07/2019 21:37:19    2205160

Link

Decent showing tonight against such highly rated Galway team. 7 point margin of defeat was harsh on our lads for the effort put in and we could have made it a 3 point game in the injury time but for missing a penalty.

To win tonight we needed to get more scores from play out of Carey and Dowd but to be fair to Galway they had both well marked. I thought Ruane Higgins Brady was some of our best players tonight.

Whoever is manager next year will need a lot more luck with injuries, we basically played this connacht championship without agurably half of our 1st choice team.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2511 - 03/07/2019 22:17:05    2205190

Link

Get in fod, forgive , forget, whatever these boys need right tutoring the fiture is bright.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1323 - 03/07/2019 23:28:14    2205233

Link

Also another gripe i have is the players not wearing the number on the programme.

Patrick Fannon was down to wear 8 but it wasnt him wearing the number 8

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 432 - 04/07/2019 08:55:23    2205293

Link

So there we have it the curtain comes down on our U20 campaign with a expected defeat to Galway.

We made 4 changes to the selected 15 before throw in, Dylan Summer who wasn't named on the 24 program (a very poor Connacht GAA published one by the way) started along side Aaron Brady,James Fitzpatrick,Jonathan Hester

This was a game we certainly competed in and were in contention for large periods but to find ourselves 5 points down at half time was probably a killer as lets be honest it wasn't Leitrim we were playing this week. 2nd half we lost it 0-6 to 0-4 and long stages in that half we had Galway rattled as we narrowed the gap to one score as we defended well and fell into tackles without any fear.

Main tactics on the night by Curran and co was to not concede a goal which was achieved, Dylan Ruane played the sweeper role (a role i think he last played at minor level) and did well. The only goal chance i recall Galway creating all game was in the 2nd half against the run of play when Brady comfortably saved a shot with his legs.

We really could have put the cat among the pigeons if we had scored that penalty on 61 minutes to make the scoreline 2-6 to 0-15 but unfortunately Brian Derwin miscued it and Galway would then go on to added 2 more points in the 3rd and 5th minute of injury time to put the margin out to 7 points but they went home knowing they got a good game and plenty to think about before they play defending Connacht champs Mayo.

Like his introduction last Wednesday Ciaran Lawless brought a big influence to the game and while i know he was caught up with exams recently he is too good of a player not to be starting. Sean Hanly played well enough last week to start also and we improved a lot in defence when he was brought on in the 33rd minute. Tim Lamb not on the 24 program was a run out on 40 minutes and i found it really bizarre how arguably the best midfielder we have on the panel Cian Corcoran only got 10 minutes of action

I thought Aaron Brady looked very steady in goal and looks like a future senior goalkeeper. Evan Flynn had good game on a tricky opponent and did well to hold him to 2 points. Robbie Dolan who was the youngest defender on our team did a good marking job on Darragh Silke. Our midfield pairing did ok especially 2nd half against a far stronger and athletic Galway pairing.

Rowd Dowd and James Fitzpatrick looked the most lively of our forwards and it made no sense to me why Fitzpatrick was taken off on 45 minutes as we could have done with his scoring ability in the last quarter as the game opened up. Paul Carey didn't look write after the injury he picked up v Leitrim last week, and while i know a lot of care was done to get him to play i'd question would it be smarter to use him as impact sub.

In the end i was left to wonder what if we had Pearse Frost (Brigids) Oisin Lennon (Clann) Connall Kennelly (St faithleachs) Paul McGrath (Brigids) John Martin (Oran) Shane Cunnane (Brigids) Darragh Walsh (Oran) Ciaran Sugrue (Brigids) and Peter Gillooly (Roscommon Gaels) some of our best defenders,midfielders and forwards at this level available for selection? too many good quality players out to be capable of topping a Galway side who are one of the favourites for the All Ireland.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 2149 - 04/07/2019 12:10:17    2205386

Link

Galway beat Mayo handy enough tonight.We weren't too far off Galway last week.If all players were available,Roscommon would have had a very strong U20 team this year.We'd quite possibly be Connacht champions tonight.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1132 - 10/07/2019 21:49:53    2209266

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Galway beat Mayo handy enough tonight.We weren't too far off Galway last week.If all players were available,Roscommon would have had a very strong U20 team this year.We'd quite possibly be Connacht champions tonight."
We lost by 6...never got into the game at all. Did Galway not beatbye by 7? It's only a point in the difference in looses there so I don't know how you make out Roscommon "could" have been Connacht champs...if "could have" was reality Mayo would have 8 All Ireland's won in my lifetime.

Galway the best u20 team in Connacht this year.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9855 - 11/07/2019 11:46:12    2209420

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "We lost by 6...never got into the game at all. Did Galway not beatbye by 7? It's only a point in the difference in looses there so I don't know how you make out Roscommon "could" have been Connacht champs...if "could have" was reality Mayo would have 8 All Ireland's won in my lifetime.

Galway the best u20 team in Connacht this year."
Never mind 8 yew tree,Mayo have lost 9 senior All -Ireland Finals since 1989 so ye could have 9 titles won in your lifetime.Roscommon U20s were missing an extraordinarily high number of players who would have been on the team this Summer.I was merely expressing an opinion that if we had a full team,I think we could have put it up to Galway and won Connacht U20 this year.I hope Galway go on now and win the All-Ireland.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1132 - 11/07/2019 12:59:49    2209468

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "We lost by 6...never got into the game at all. Did Galway not beatbye by 7? It's only a point in the difference in looses there so I don't know how you make out Roscommon "could" have been Connacht champs...if "could have" was reality Mayo would have 8 All Ireland's won in my lifetime.

Galway the best u20 team in Connacht this year."
Not sure about the bit that we could have won but did we got the game back to 3 points with 15 mins to play last Wednesday and with 5 minutes of injury time to play we had penalty to cut gap back to 3 points again but missed it. Midway through the 2nd half last night Galway led by 9 points and they eased off as that game was already won.

The what if with us was the amount of players we were missing. 4 of our best defenders,our best midfielder and 3 of our best scoring forwards. When we got that close to Galway you can't help but wonder what would have happened if we had out strongest hand to choose from.

Anyway Galway are Connacht champs and best of luck to them in the AI series. Any good successful team need to be good defensively and the low scores Galway have conceded in league and championship has been the most impressive thing about them without doubt John Divilly has a major influence there

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2511 - 11/07/2019 13:39:43    2209492

Link

Is Shane Curran's term up as Roscommon U20 Manager.? Next year will be three years since we reached the U17 All-Ireland Final so we should have ambitions for a long Summer for our U20 team in 2020.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1132 - 10/08/2019 13:47:38    2223364

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Is Shane Curran's term up as Roscommon U20 Manager.? Next year will be three years since we reached the U17 All-Ireland Final so we should have ambitions for a long Summer for our U20 team in 2020."
Curran stepped down 2 weeks ago. All depends on the strength of our panel next year and we'll need a bit of luck in regard to injuries.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2511 - 10/08/2019 14:57:23    2223386

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Curran stepped down 2 weeks ago. All depends on the strength of our panel next year and we'll need a bit of luck in regard to injuries."
Thanks.I'd like to see Fergal O'Donnell manage the U20s next year but that's probably unlikely.Who are being talked about to succeed Curran.?

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 1132 - 10/08/2019 15:10:56    2223389

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Thanks.I'd like to see Fergal O'Donnell manage the U20s next year but that's probably unlikely.Who are being talked about to succeed Curran.?"
Would like to see U17 2017 manager Liam Tully take over. A Fergal return to county management is unlikely alright.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2511 - 10/08/2019 21:09:39    2223645

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Curran stepped down 2 weeks ago. All depends on the strength of our panel next year and we'll need a bit of luck in regard to injuries."
I have to say he should never have been given the job in the first place, completely out of his depth.

rossno1 (Roscommon) - Posts: 190 - 11/08/2019 00:59:52    2223760

Link

Nigel Dineen would be a good candidate

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 906 - 11/08/2019 15:05:13    2223983

Link

Tully should get it but that's not the way things work in Roscommon..

nando (None) - Posts: 33 - 11/08/2019 16:51:23    2224071

Link

Tully should get the job and i hope he does. Traditionally football man well liked around the county love if he threw his hat in the ring.

Very liked by that u17 team who should be coming of age to play u20 now so hopefully he gets a go

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 432 - 12/08/2019 10:11:13    2224490

Link