Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Clareman:  "Lad, Clare beat Limerick 3 years on the bounce, this year ye deservedly hammered us but we are not that far off. Win with grace and don't be arrogant.

I will be in the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday supporting the minors, is that good enough for you or do you want me to post every thing that comes into my head?"
If beating Limerick is your measure of success Clareman then you have made it. Congratulations For 2 of those 3 years we were nowhere near competitive with anyone else by the way. my opinion was intended for those interested in winning silverware. Wasn't being ungracious or indeed arrogant. Quite the opposite i was v complimentary about your minors and feel my post was more in the form of the glass is half full rather than the pessimistic posts on here of late.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 649 - 25/06/2019 11:26:33    2200515

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "If beating Limerick is your measure of success Clareman then you have made it. Congratulations For 2 of those 3 years we were nowhere near competitive with anyone else by the way. my opinion was intended for those interested in winning silverware. Wasn't being ungracious or indeed arrogant. Quite the opposite i was v complimentary about your minors and feel my post was more in the form of the glass is half full rather than the pessimistic posts on here of late."
Clare were within the width of a post of being in an All Ireland final with the same squad. We had 2 bad days against Tipp and Limerick and deservedly got knocked out. Our minors are good but 3,4 or 5 years way from being seniors. You are pretty much writing off this Clare squad. Your post was intended to be a put down, dress it up all you like. Its a very arrogant thing to write off your own teams losses as 'we were nowhere near competitive'..does that also include 2013? Are all Clare wins against Limerick with an asterisk..basically ye always have some excuse?

I am not in the business off posting on the Limerick forum opining how poor/good/whatever ye are, I worry about Clare.

As I said, win with grace or become a bad winner.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 941 - 25/06/2019 13:49:31    2200603

Link

Replying To LohansRedHelmet:  "I am not too worried about our future we have a decent supply coming through. Even the under 15s won the Arabawn this year beating a fancied Tipp team in the final. We are somewhat downtrodden to be out this year as we had expectations for our senior team. The biggest blow was losing so heavily against Tipp and Limerick. The worst part of that it that I felt we were in a good position v Tipp at half time with the wind at our backs for the second half.

Typically we finally get a win over our bogey team Cork and it means nothing. That was our first win over Cork since 2013 in the championship."
I agree Lohan. I was listening to Dalo's podcast last week and he had Ken Hogan on. He said the best bit of hurling in Munster this year was the first 25 mins between Clare and Tipp and even at half time felt Clare were in a good position. The second half collapse set them back and then they got destroyed by a psyched up Limerick team. Our season was bust then although they gave it a good rattle against Cork which suggested to me they are made of good stuff and will come back. However, that game and a half has left a bad feeling and I hope they bottle it up for next year and use it as motivation.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 941 - 25/06/2019 13:58:28    2200608

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Clare were within the width of a post of being in an All Ireland final with the same squad. We had 2 bad days against Tipp and Limerick and deservedly got knocked out. Our minors are good but 3,4 or 5 years way from being seniors. You are pretty much writing off this Clare squad. Your post was intended to be a put down, dress it up all you like. Its a very arrogant thing to write off your own teams losses as 'we were nowhere near competitive'..does that also include 2013? Are all Clare wins against Limerick with an asterisk..basically ye always have some excuse?

I am not in the business off posting on the Limerick forum opining how poor/good/whatever ye are, I worry about Clare.

As I said, win with grace or become a bad winner."
If I wanted to put Clare down I would have posted the week after Tipp or Limerick games. Don't know why you bring 2013 into it you said Clare beat Limerick last 3 times on the trot that was 2018,17 and 16. In 2016 we were truly awful and if you go back to Limerick page you will see no hope from anyone at start of year and in 17 we had hope but it didn't materialise. They are not asterisks merely facts. As you point out I do write off this Clare panel but I don't do so out of arrogance I do so based on my understanding of the modern game. If you don't believe me about the deck chair on the titanic quote look back at posts on here for years. It's nearly always the same players who didn't make it the year before who are lauded as potential world beaters. From this years crop of newcomers I'd rate both McCarthys but jury is out on Ryan yet I see him being touted as a starter for next year. How many still promote Sheana when he has failed to nail down a starting place for years. Minors are for the most part 17. Tony Kelly won hurler of the year at 19. Kyles Hayes won All Ireland at 19 so I think did Galvin and a whole host of others so how you make out all minors will need 3 or 4 years is beyond me. I'd say there is hope but it's not in rearranging the same players. I think this minor team will have a right crack of it Sunday and I think they offer hope. Was only trying to point out that.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 649 - 25/06/2019 15:59:40    2200703

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "Lad, Clare beat Limerick 3 years on the bounce, this year ye deservedly hammered us but we are not that far off. Win with grace and don't be arrogant.

I will be in the Gaelic Grounds on Sunday supporting the minors, is that good enough for you or do you want me to post every thing that comes into my head?"
who will you be shouting for in the senior match.....

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 753 - 25/06/2019 16:02:52    2200704

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "who will you be shouting for in the senior match....."
Id like to see Limerick win it. Tipp have won enough and their supporters are full of it. The genuine Limerick supporter is salt of the earth. Limerick should win if they play to their maximum as Bonar is a massive loss.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 941 - 26/06/2019 08:05:16    2201044

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "If I wanted to put Clare down I would have posted the week after Tipp or Limerick games. Don't know why you bring 2013 into it you said Clare beat Limerick last 3 times on the trot that was 2018,17 and 16. In 2016 we were truly awful and if you go back to Limerick page you will see no hope from anyone at start of year and in 17 we had hope but it didn't materialise. They are not asterisks merely facts. As you point out I do write off this Clare panel but I don't do so out of arrogance I do so based on my understanding of the modern game. If you don't believe me about the deck chair on the titanic quote look back at posts on here for years. It's nearly always the same players who didn't make it the year before who are lauded as potential world beaters. From this years crop of newcomers I'd rate both McCarthys but jury is out on Ryan yet I see him being touted as a starter for next year. How many still promote Sheana when he has failed to nail down a starting place for years. Minors are for the most part 17. Tony Kelly won hurler of the year at 19. Kyles Hayes won All Ireland at 19 so I think did Galvin and a whole host of others so how you make out all minors will need 3 or 4 years is beyond me. I'd say there is hope but it's not in rearranging the same players. I think this minor team will have a right crack of it Sunday and I think they offer hope. Was only trying to point out that."
Ok fair enough you are entitled to your opinion. For me David Reidy, Jamie Shanahan and a fully fit and refreshed Conor McGrath seriously improve Clare. The first 2 had excellent 2018 campaigns and everyone in Clare knows Conor's proven talent and class, we just hope he can regain his fitness.

Diarmuid Ryan will captain Clare in the near future in my opinion. Played out of position all year yet showed a lot and scored a good bit. Really stood up v Cork, won great ball, scored 2 points but he is best suited to wing or centre back.

Not every minor is Tony Kelly or Kyle Hayes or Austin Gleeson. Brian Lohan never played minor for Clare, Henry Shefflin was bang average minor. For the most part, it takes 3 or 4 years, esp now with strength and conditioning. Kyle is a naturally strong man so that helps.

Anyways, our summer is done. Best of luck on Sunday and enjoy the game.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 941 - 26/06/2019 09:04:29    2201064

Link

wellpastit, you say clare are not the finished article and i agree. but what does the finished article look like? kilkenny in 2008 was the only complete team ive ever seen. limerick and tipp are currently the 2 best teams in the country but neither of them are the complete finished article!!

Personally i think our year changed when jason forde's free hit the post and callinan goaled the rebound. we were in a decent position until then and that changed everything, I honestly thought at the time (prior to that goal) that we were going to win that game. no excuse for the limerick game, we were beaten out the gate that day - every team has those kind of days.

i agree with clareman that the players mentioned could add hugely to the setup if they return next year. i dont see how that can be called rearranging the deck chairs, quality players were unavailable for different reasons but if we can get them back next year and tweak a few things - then i think we can be very close to challenging at the top.

there is in my opinion very little between the top 9 hurling counties in the country. tipp are looking like the best team out there this year, compare that to last year when their team was written off didnt make it out of munster and can come back then this year with the same group of players and be the leading all ireland contenders.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1786 - 26/06/2019 10:42:49    2201115

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "who will you be shouting for in the senior match....."
Between Tipp and Limerick - jaysus you would only be picking the one you dislike the least? I hope its a draw and extra time is a draw, the replay is a draw and the next replay is a draw. There are so many draws that they give up and no team wins Munster this year.

LohansRedHelmet (Clare) - Posts: 1978 - 27/06/2019 09:32:31    2201580

Link