Clare Forum

Clare Hurlers 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Id say Ger Loughnane wont be too popular with the Fitzgeralds after him comments toady in the Star wont worry him of course. He is right about change though we all get stale & run out of fresh thinking.

I do think that Davy got good results here but dident change the thinking it finished him in the end.

If Donal Moloney gets the nod to stay on or wants to stay he needs to freshen up thinking as well we has plenty of Ex Clare hurlers coaching with top success in Limerick so we have some knowledge i would prefer that he would go for somebody withing County as selectors.

My wish list would be Anthony Cunningham Or Eddie Brennan thoigh

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 06/09/2019 15:52:00    2233333

Link

Clooney, the problem is that a lot of those ex-county players for whatever reason don't seem to get roles in coaching in Clare...why is that? They appear to be more valued outside of the county. It's not right.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 09/09/2019 08:05:47    2233726

Link

Clooney, the problem is that a lot of those ex-county players for whatever reason don't seem to get roles in coaching in Clare...why is that? They appear to be more valued outside of the county. It's not right.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 971 - 09/09/2019 08:05:47 22

I don't have the answer but when they talk of tradition as far as i am concerned tradition means to me somebody who played the game knows what they are doing and passing on the experience and we had double all Ireland winners only slightly over 20 tears ago, who you imagine should have been brought into the under age set up in some guise or other.

I realise that we dont have the funds for under age coaching like Limerick for instance but i have seen some under age managers over the years and it leaves a lot to be desired.

This years u17 management were apparently very professional got flax for the sweeper ect but still made progress beat Waterford/Tipperary/Cork lots to do obviously.

I think Sixmilebridge is a very good example of where it pays when people who know what they are about are in charge of teams. Always A in under age always in the hunt for senior honours.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 09/09/2019 16:20:14    2233897

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Clooney, the problem is that a lot of those ex-county players for whatever reason don't seem to get roles in coaching in Clare...why is that? They appear to be more valued outside of the county. It's not right.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 971 - 09/09/2019 08:05:47 22

I don't have the answer but when they talk of tradition as far as i am concerned tradition means to me somebody who played the game knows what they are doing and passing on the experience and we had double all Ireland winners only slightly over 20 tears ago, who you imagine should have been brought into the under age set up in some guise or other.

I realise that we dont have the funds for under age coaching like Limerick for instance but i have seen some under age managers over the years and it leaves a lot to be desired.

This years u17 management were apparently very professional got flax for the sweeper ect but still made progress beat Waterford/Tipperary/Cork lots to do obviously.

I think Sixmilebridge is a very good example of where it pays when people who know what they are about are in charge of teams. Always A in under age always in the hunt for senior honours."
Clooney I totally agree with your post and wish that was the case but it's not.

Dalo, Lohan, Davy, Sparrow, Jamesie, Hego all have coached with good success at different levels. None of them are involved with Clare. Sad to see.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 10/09/2019 10:13:58    2234036

Link

what the mood in the camp folks? Who will be manager next year?

kerryforsam19 (Kerry) - Posts: 95 - 10/09/2019 10:30:05    2234048

Link

Replying To kerryforsam19:  "what the mood in the camp folks? Who will be manager next year?"
there's no actual camp at the minute so its quiet difficult to answer that question.
second question isnt any easier, although it would appear to be donal moloney.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 10/09/2019 12:55:34    2234107

Link

Loughnane hits the nail on the head in his newspaper article. The Fitzgerald dynasty needs to be thanked and given a golden handshake and a nice cottage by the sea ...in Wexford.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1156 - 10/09/2019 17:58:33    2234167

Link

Clare senior championship now at semi final stage Crusheen probably the surprise package taking out Ballyea
Clonlara again failing at critical point seem to have masses of talent but fall away.

Its a huge opportunity now for the Combo Inagh/Mona but the bridge are favourites i imagine.

Tulla getting relegated is a bit of a surprise too place to come out of now Broadford should win the Intermediate

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 16/09/2019 12:05:24    2236028

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Clare senior championship now at semi final stage Crusheen probably the surprise package taking out Ballyea
Clonlara again failing at critical point seem to have masses of talent but fall away.

Its a huge opportunity now for the Combo Inagh/Mona but the bridge are favourites i imagine.

Tulla getting relegated is a bit of a surprise too place to come out of now Broadford should win the Intermediate"
The absent of Gudgie, Doohan, Lineen and Connolly finally hitting ballyea hard.They lacked steel and Crusheen well deserved it.

Should be 2 great semi finals. The intensity in the 4 1/4 finals was well up from earlier rounds, even if the hurling at times was poor in parts.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 16/09/2019 13:00:07    2236066

Link

not much new talent on show unfortunately unless i missed someone took in 2 matches and dident see anyone really shine out.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 16/09/2019 13:44:41    2236087

Link

Replying To clooney:  "not much new talent on show unfortunately unless i missed someone took in 2 matches and dident see anyone really shine out."
I agree, I saw 3 games and the only ones standing out were the ones who were on panel before but not last year..

I didnt see Feakle v Combo so cant comment on that one.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 16/09/2019 16:07:36    2236189

Link

Watched on T Na G the Cratloe Clonlara match Conor McGrath having a new lease of life out the field and Cathal McInerney still a lethal finisher might still have something to offer with Clare

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 17/09/2019 16:09:57    2236684

Link

Replying To clooney:  "Watched on T Na G the Cratloe Clonlara match Conor McGrath having a new lease of life out the field and Cathal McInerney still a lethal finisher might still have something to offer with Clare"
Cathal was on panel this year, scored 2 points against Cork. He is one of our best finishers I agree, he just seems to struggle with injuries.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 17/09/2019 16:58:39    2236707

Link

hard to pick out many possible new inclusions on the panel based on what ive seen. Although to mention 2, i think shane mcgrath and alex morey are 2 possibilities to step up. mcgrath has been putting up huge scores for the last 2-3 years, although a lot obviously are from placed balls but he is an excellent hurler outside of that. morey looked very good for the bridge on saturday also. mcgrath is a bit small as well but i think he still could have something to offer at the top level.

hurlingexpert (Clare) - Posts: 1809 - 18/09/2019 12:02:07    2237045

Link

The big concern for me is defenders, we dont seem to have too many coming through.

Crusheen lads are good defenders but most of them are late 20s or 30s are not sure they have legs for inter county. I do like their no nonsense approach though.

Clare must sort out their half back line early next year or its another short summer.

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 18/09/2019 14:24:51    2237144

Link

Replying To Clareman:  "The big concern for me is defenders, we dont seem to have too many coming through.

Crusheen lads are good defenders but most of them are late 20s or 30s are not sure they have legs for inter county. I do like their no nonsense approach though.

Clare must sort out their half back line early next year or its another short summer."
I think Diarmuid Ryan will have to be taken out of forwards (pity though) he seems excellent in the air fine striker & good off either side. Its true that there are not many that options about Paul Flanagan still appears to have a good instinct about him. IMO no matter how game plans change in hurling you still need a dominant half back line don't have to be Seanie McMahons but must be able to defend without too much fouling.

I dont envy next manager expections still high in Clare but not much in way off new talent

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 18/09/2019 16:32:39    2237216

Link

Bad news today as it is confirmed that Peter Duggan is gone for next year to Australia reports that 2 more prominent players are considering time out as well.

Thats how it is I spose but we cannot afford to lose players like these.

BAD NEWS

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 19/09/2019 08:58:49    2237452

Link

Would anyone blame them? Set up is a mess

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 19/09/2019 14:01:34    2237555

Link

Would anyone blame them? Set up is a mess

Clareman (Clare) - Posts: 977 - 19/09/2019 14:01:34 2237555

I havent heard anything about set up but if it is a mess as you say then there needs to be change & fast.
I honostly dont know whose fault that might be but players never seem to travel in KK/Tip/Cork

A strong manager is needed and if Donal is continuing he needs to bring in a top coach & management backup
There are some strong personalities in that Clare team might be hard to manage too.

clooney (Clare) - Posts: 452 - 19/09/2019 14:14:40    2237558

Link