Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Football)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To gaa190:  "Should have - If he wanted to over take Lavelle as number one.

Now he will have to wait for Lavelle to have a string of poor performances.

No player involved with their club should "have to" make themselves available to the County. In Power's case - in my opinion he should have made himself available if he wanted to over take Lavelle."
It seems the long wait is over.

StopTheLights (Galway) - Posts: 218 - 17/05/2019 11:35:23    2184858

Link

Should be a nice game for all 4 changes to come in to.
Like Power's kickouts , its more an issue with shot stopping with him I feel even though I'd probably just have him over Lavelle. Bradshaw might be a starter again this year but from a starting point of view I think it will be his last. Good to see Molloy playing, hopefully be a nice warm up for the mayo game , can see him kicking one or two points this weekend. Also good that FOC is getting some game time, no one bar Flynn has been that impressive in midfield for Galway this year , Cooke played well in a game or two but nothing like the impact Ruane has had on Mayo. FOC fetching ball against Sligo and Mayo would be a great outlet for us when the pressure starts to build up in games.
Daly a failed experiment at midfield against London, I have been saying it for awhile he will need to up his game this year and should be dictating the game against a lets be honest poor Sligo team.
A lot of people very keen on McDaid, if he doesn't play this weekend, I presume he won't be starting in the final.
Should be beating Sligo by 10+ if were being serious. I know the same was said of London, but as we have seen from other results , first game can be tricky. There will be no such excuse if they stumble over the line against Sligo.
Hope to see a good crowd up there.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 17/05/2019 12:56:44    2184904

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Should be a nice game for all 4 changes to come in to.
Like Power's kickouts , its more an issue with shot stopping with him I feel even though I'd probably just have him over Lavelle. Bradshaw might be a starter again this year but from a starting point of view I think it will be his last. Good to see Molloy playing, hopefully be a nice warm up for the mayo game , can see him kicking one or two points this weekend. Also good that FOC is getting some game time, no one bar Flynn has been that impressive in midfield for Galway this year , Cooke played well in a game or two but nothing like the impact Ruane has had on Mayo. FOC fetching ball against Sligo and Mayo would be a great outlet for us when the pressure starts to build up in games.
Daly a failed experiment at midfield against London, I have been saying it for awhile he will need to up his game this year and should be dictating the game against a lets be honest poor Sligo team.
A lot of people very keen on McDaid, if he doesn't play this weekend, I presume he won't be starting in the final.
Should be beating Sligo by 10+ if were being serious. I know the same was said of London, but as we have seen from other results , first game can be tricky. There will be no such excuse if they stumble over the line against Sligo.
Hope to see a good crowd up there."
Can some posters stop referring to playing Mayo. The Rossies on merit alone have every chance of beating them. While Horan will have our 'nearest and dearest' primed I still think Mayo will get it in bags full on Sun week. Our focus should solely be on Sunday. Anything else and asking for trouble.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1506 - 17/05/2019 13:21:54    2184910

Link

Hoping to see a good strong vocal Galway crowd up in Markievicz Park on Sunday for our first championship game on home soil. Season tickets are valid for this game also.

Excited to see Molloy getting his chance and I expect Brannigan to get game time. It would be great to see some returning injuries in the subs like McDaid, Cooke, Duggan, maybe even Comer. It's probably too soon for Conroy. My prediction for captain for the game would be Tom Flynn.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 344 - 17/05/2019 13:51:06    2184930

Link

Replying To kiloughter:  "Can some posters stop referring to playing Mayo. The Rossies on merit alone have every chance of beating them. While Horan will have our 'nearest and dearest' primed I still think Mayo will get it in bags full on Sun week. Our focus should solely be on Sunday. Anything else and asking for trouble."
That's great, that's your opinion. i think Mayo will beat them, think it's a fair assumption to make that the team that have won the league should beat the team that got relegated in the same league, they're also playing them in Castlebar , a place Roscommon haven't won a championship game in years.
The player's focus should be on Sligo yes, the Dubs fans are talking about 5 in a row. I'm sure there player's aren't. If our player's are flustered by Mayo talk when they're expected to beat a team that finished bottom of Div3, we have bigger problem's than I thought.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 17/05/2019 14:32:42    2184954

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "That's great, that's your opinion. i think Mayo will beat them, think it's a fair assumption to make that the team that have won the league should beat the team that got relegated in the same league, they're also playing them in Castlebar , a place Roscommon haven't won a championship game in years.
The player's focus should be on Sligo yes, the Dubs fans are talking about 5 in a row. I'm sure there player's aren't. If our player's are flustered by Mayo talk when they're expected to beat a team that finished bottom of Div3, we have bigger problem's than I thought."
Of course it is only my opinion but do you not think it is disingenuous to the Rossies by constantly referring to Mayo as opposed to the winners of Mayo/Ros. They are not gods. Some of their fans might think they are but the majority of national opinion I have come across think otherwise.

kiloughter (Galway) - Posts: 1506 - 17/05/2019 15:32:06    2184972

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "That's great, that's your opinion. i think Mayo will beat them, think it's a fair assumption to make that the team that have won the league should beat the team that got relegated in the same league, they're also playing them in Castlebar , a place Roscommon haven't won a championship game in years.
The player's focus should be on Sligo yes, the Dubs fans are talking about 5 in a row. I'm sure there player's aren't. If our player's are flustered by Mayo talk when they're expected to beat a team that finished bottom of Div3, we have bigger problem's than I thought."
Thinking Mayo will beat us is one thing but talking about a Mayo v Galway match up like Mayo have already won the semi final is another thing altogether and TBH i would expect better comments from Galway posters than that.

For the record we could easily have stayed up Monaghan had the rub of the green and would they be written off as much v Mayo? we were longer waiting for a win Pearse Stadium before we won in 2017 and the last time we took on the newly crowned Div 1 champion Mayo team in the championship we won.

The_analyser (Roscommon) - Posts: 2398 - 17/05/2019 15:45:01    2184975

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Thinking Mayo will beat us is one thing but talking about a Mayo v Galway match up like Mayo have already won the semi final is another thing altogether and TBH i would expect better comments from Galway posters than that.

For the record we could easily have stayed up Monaghan had the rub of the green and would they be written off as much v Mayo? we were longer waiting for a win Pearse Stadium before we won in 2017 and the last time we took on the newly crowned Div 1 champion Mayo team in the championship we won."
Last time Mayo won D1 ye beat them yes, but who won the All Ireland? I believe the year was 2001..

Townee2018 (Galway) - Posts: 152 - 17/05/2019 16:11:00    2184984

Link

Don't get me wrong I would love if the Rossie's did. I just can't see it, they caught Galway in 17 , think it would be a bigger shock if they bet Mayo this year though! Monaghan are getting written off against Cavan never mind Mayo. Sligo caught us in 2007 as well but doesn't mean I expect them to beat us this weekend .
Here's hoping for a Galway Roscommon final

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 151 - 17/05/2019 16:20:12    2184988

Link

Replying To The_analyser:  "Thinking Mayo will beat us is one thing but talking about a Mayo v Galway match up like Mayo have already won the semi final is another thing altogether and TBH i would expect better comments from Galway posters than that.

For the record we could easily have stayed up Monaghan had the rub of the green and would they be written off as much v Mayo? we were longer waiting for a win Pearse Stadium before we won in 2017 and the last time we took on the newly crowned Div 1 champion Mayo team in the championship we won."
Very true and I would be delighted if ye did manage to take the smirk of Horan's face!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2214 - 17/05/2019 16:30:22    2184993

Link

Replying To candlewax:  "Don't get me wrong I would love if the Rossie's did. I just can't see it, they caught Galway in 17 , think it would be a bigger shock if they bet Mayo this year though! Monaghan are getting written off against Cavan never mind Mayo. Sligo caught us in 2007 as well but doesn't mean I expect them to beat us this weekend .
Here's hoping for a Galway Roscommon final"
The irony of people talking about not showing Roscommon respect by saying it will be a Galway v Mayo final, yet we have to beat Sligo this weekend first .

Galway2019 (Galway) - Posts: 16 - 17/05/2019 17:47:44    2185016

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Very true and I would be delighted if ye did manage to take the smirk of Horan's face!"
For once I agree with you..

Belclare (Galway) - Posts: 126 - 17/05/2019 17:52:45    2185020

Link

I for one would not be taking Sligo for granted I know last year we beat them well they got 2 goals that day and could have got 2 more easily enough Dublin did not have as many goal chances against us , Galway should win if they go out with right football attitude from the throw in otherwise it could be a tough afternoon everyone though last week tipp v Limerick would be a stroll didnt work out like that

Kickitout (Galway) - Posts: 308 - 17/05/2019 19:58:34    2185047

Link

Were subs named?

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 913 - 17/05/2019 23:06:09    2185085

Link

We can't go to Markievicz with even an ounce of complacency on Sunday. There's far too much talk of Mayo or Ros in the final (and it could well be the Rossies). I'm sure our lads are fully focused on this job first - and they'll have to be. Sligo are hurting badly after the league. They're just back in their home, after spending a lot of money there. Taylor respects KW but knows him so well that he'll feel they can have a right cut at Galway, particularly after the lacklustre performance in London. There's no doubt, behind closed doors in their set up, Sligo will be fancying their chances. Lets start the fire before they do.
Its an exciting team we've named. Now its time for the tactics to go up to the next level and properly unleash what we have upfront. Without singling out individuals, this team is more than capable as a unit of dismantling defences if the lateral and backwards stuff stops. Any set of backs in the country will be made sweat if they see heads-up, fast, direct, aggressive attacking from Galway. That's the Galway football other counties don't want to see back. So lets give them doses of it. Lateral and backward movement is a defenders dream and allows those precious seconds to get set as a unit. We have the players to blitz through it with intelligent movement and at speed, and they're in every line of the field now. The S&C is almost there across the board, the fitness is getting where it should be for mid-May, its from the neck up we now need to see young leaders to emerge all over the field - like previous successful Galway teams had.
Looking forward to getting up there on Sunday. I don't give a rats what club the player is from, as long as he's there on merit. If you're anywhere between Inshbofin and Ballygar, that's good enough! The maroon jersey is the maroon jersey. Do it proud lads. Up Galway!!

togoutlads (Galway) - Posts: 5 - 17/05/2019 23:33:31    2185090

Link

Good team - probably close to our best excluding Comer and McDaid
Great to see Power in goal
Liam Silke in his best spot at corner back.
Great to see Daly start.
Best of luck to Fiontain he has suffered a lot of injuries maybe this is his year to nail down spot.
Good half forward line loads of legs and good scoring potential.
Pacy and skillful full forward line. Comer will add physicality when he returns with either Cummins o O Laoi good sub.

Hopefully they are given the chance to express themselves and attack attack attack a pretty poor Sligo outfit.

hopballref (Galway) - Posts: 58 - 17/05/2019 23:45:07    2185091

Link

Sad to hear of the passing of the blue panther - Anton O'Toole - Dublin. Had an unorthodox style, but generally made things happen with a trusty left foot and intelligence. Heffo dragged him back kicking and screaming in 1983. Remember seeing him play in a challenge match v Cork in Dublin that year - he was way off the pace. Anyone else would have been shown the door - but Heffo knew a good one and persisted with him. He got his just rewards later on in Sep.

Really (Galway) - Posts: 271 - 18/05/2019 00:52:42    2185102

Link

Replying To Belclare:  "For once I agree with you.."
Hope you're not coming down with something!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2214 - 18/05/2019 01:17:50    2185105

Link

Replying To Really:  "Sad to hear of the passing of the blue panther - Anton O'Toole - Dublin. Had an unorthodox style, but generally made things happen with a trusty left foot and intelligence. Heffo dragged him back kicking and screaming in 1983. Remember seeing him play in a challenge match v Cork in Dublin that year - he was way off the pace. Anyone else would have been shown the door - but Heffo knew a good one and persisted with him. He got his just rewards later on in Sep."
Well said. Anton was brilliant footballer and a legendary figure in the game. Was such a central figure in that great Dublin team which provided so many wonderful memories. May he rest in peace

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 164 - 18/05/2019 15:35:14    2185221

Link

Replying To Rocky.Road:  "Hoping to see a good strong vocal Galway crowd up in Markievicz Park on Sunday for our first championship game on home soil. Season tickets are valid for this game also.

Excited to see Molloy getting his chance and I expect Brannigan to get game time. It would be great to see some returning injuries in the subs like McDaid, Cooke, Duggan, maybe even Comer. It's probably too soon for Conroy. My prediction for captain for the game would be Tom Flynn."
Think Farragher and Leonard are better options then Brannigan. He has a great engine and gets into good position but he never finishes it's a shame cause if he did he would be a very good player when Farragher and Leonard get into the positions 9 times out of 10 they score.

I do agree with ur point about picking Tom Flynn as captin his performances have been very consistent and would warrant getting the captaincy.

Maroonforever (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 18/05/2019 17:46:33    2185259

Link