Galway Forum

Starting 15 For Championship (Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To clare_sparrow:  "But where do you stop, lots of big names are already calling for promotion/relegation, bonus points will surely follow, and that would be a disaster for the game. BP for 4 goals in a game, would eliminate the long range points that the Mannions are unreal at and which was a huge factor in Clare winning in 2013. Arguably the finest sight in sport is a wing back firing over from under the stand 90 yards out... I know I am getting ahead of myself here but my point is too much change can give lads ideas. I don't think its worth changing. I think its a very good system now."
Think we may be getting bogged down and blaming the system lads. But surly we have to question why players are not been developed. Galway have won 3 All Ireland minor titles in the last few years. Very few are been given the opportunity of breaking through. Management have taken their eye off the ball and are to loyal to their core group of special ones.
There are a lot of players on that panel because of who they are rather than what they are. Its obvious MD has favourites until that stops we will continue slipping. Tadhg Haran has been on of the best club hurlers in recent years have we seen him get any opportunity...No only Davy Glennon (the special one) this has to be questioned

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 27/06/2019 12:05:09    2201652

Link

I would also go further where is the development of Kevin Cooney, Cillian Fahy, Sean Bleahene, Jack Canning etc etc
while guys sit on the panel

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 27/06/2019 12:26:39    2201664

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "I would also go further where is the development of Kevin Cooney, Cillian Fahy, Sean Bleahene, Jack Canning etc etc
while guys sit on the panel"
We wait and see how the u20 team get on....should do well against Kilkenny,,,,,,

hoppingball (Galway) - Posts: 963 - 27/06/2019 12:59:38    2201679

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "Think we may be getting bogged down and blaming the system lads. But surly we have to question why players are not been developed. Galway have won 3 All Ireland minor titles in the last few years. Very few are been given the opportunity of breaking through. Management have taken their eye off the ball and are to loyal to their core group of special ones.
There are a lot of players on that panel because of who they are rather than what they are. Its obvious MD has favourites until that stops we will continue slipping. Tadhg Haran has been on of the best club hurlers in recent years have we seen him get any opportunity...No only Davy Glennon (the special one) this has to be questioned"
Well lasts years minor winners were U17 so you can hardly expect any of them to have been trialled at senior level .
Darren Morrissey and Sean Blehane have come through from the 17 team.They are still very raw.
From the 15 team Jack Fitzpatrick ,Jack Coyne, Jack Grealish, Sean Loftus, Brian Concannon, Kevin Cooney have got game time.
Who have they missed out on? Who would you drop to make way?
I left out Thomas Monaghan from the 15 side.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 27/06/2019 14:02:56    2201709

Link

Replying To hoppingball:  "We wait and see how the u20 team get on....should do well against Kilkenny,,,,,,"
They will be up against it! It's a strong Kilkenny team.There was only a point in it when they met at minor level 2 years ago.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 27/06/2019 14:04:33    2201711

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "Well lasts years minor winners were U17 so you can hardly expect any of them to have been trialled at senior level .
Darren Morrissey and Sean Blehane have come through from the 17 team.They are still very raw.
From the 15 team Jack Fitzpatrick ,Jack Coyne, Jack Grealish, Sean Loftus, Brian Concannon, Kevin Cooney have got game time.
Who have they missed out on? Who would you drop to make way?
I left out Thomas Monaghan from the 15 side."
The only ones that have got a real chance is Loftus, Brian Concannon and Tomas Monaghan. If I were Jack Grealish I think I would walk away wasting his time . Jack Fitzpatrick has not got a real chance and Kevin Cooney, Coyne and Blehane were all let go. Some development going on there.

fireball88 (Galway) - Posts: 54 - 27/06/2019 14:25:27    2201725

Link

Replying To fireball88:  "The only ones that have got a real chance is Loftus, Brian Concannon and Tomas Monaghan. If I were Jack Grealish I think I would walk away wasting his time . Jack Fitzpatrick has not got a real chance and Kevin Cooney, Coyne and Blehane were all let go. Some development going on there."
In fairness Blehane got loads of time in the league and didn't really do much, Monaghan has played a few times for Galway, looked like a kid against Dubs.

I just think these guys are a bit off being ready, another year could make a big difference, besides Concannon who is maturing nicely, Loftus would be good in a sweeper role.

Would agree re Davy being still there but in fairness he gets stuck in.

I think if we're to win another with this group it's going to be with the majority of the old crew.

A total rebuild and we might be waiting another 29 yrs.

Galwayspur (Offaly) - Posts: 127 - 28/06/2019 12:42:02    2202060

Link

Replying To Barnowl94:  "It amuses me when people say this team got the "kick up the arse" it needed.
This team has had plenty of kicks for God's sake!
What was the 2015 final?
The 2016 semi final ?
Last year's final ?
Give me a break!"
Glad you're amused BO, sure that's why I'm here.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 2700 - 30/06/2019 16:24:22    2202955

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "He proved that he is a good coach who has done it with Cuala & who has beaten one of the favourites for this years All Ireland knocking them out of the C'ship with a county that no one rated. He has produced the shock of the C'ship."
And maybe surpassed that shock scale in the very next outing. I didn't notice you on here eulogising Mattie since he helped formulate the latest shock.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 2262 - 08/07/2019 10:25:26    2207643

Link

Replying To baire:  "Another minute in that game you were gone, same as you did against Offaly in 94. You were all shaking in your boots in those last few minutes and tried to play down the clock, I was at it. Limerick were the better team on the day but that doesn't necessarily mean a win is guaranteed. What I said about the treatment of JF by Lk in 2015 is not nonsense, I know what I saw and it wasn't on any internet thread either. But sure they're all saints down in Limerick! Good luck now."
How many more minutes did you feel you were entitled to. It makes me wonder Galway posters going on about Limerick collapsing in 94. Do ye ever reflect on the fact that it could be argued that ye were favourites going into the '81,'85, 86, 90, '93 '01, '05 and '18 finals (I was at most of them) and seemed to under perform in every single one of them. And still a small number of ye still go on about our poor record in finals. Fergal Horgan was the referee in 2015. Galway never expressed any complaints when he was appointed to referee the 2017 final and he is my opinion one of the best referees in the country. I was at the game too and felt that both teams gave as good as they got. I took the trouble to check out reports of the game and I found that three Galway men and two Limerick men were yellow carded. Perhaps you are wearing maroon tented glasses. BTW, I never suggested limerick players were angels, but fifteen of those cherubs never won an All Ireland.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2213 - 18/07/2019 13:54:53    2212761

Link

Replying To baire:  "Another minute in that game you were gone, same as you did against Offaly in 94. You were all shaking in your boots in those last few minutes and tried to play down the clock, I was at it. Limerick were the better team on the day but that doesn't necessarily mean a win is guaranteed. What I said about the treatment of JF by Lk in 2015 is not nonsense, I know what I saw and it wasn't on any internet thread either. But sure they're all saints down in Limerick! Good luck now."
How many more minutes did you feel you were entitled to. It makes me wonder Galway posters going on about Limerick collapsing in 94. Do ye ever reflect on the fact that it could be argued that ye were favourites going into the '81,'85, 86, 90, '93 '01, '05 and '18 finals (I was at most of them) and seemed to under perform in every single one of them. And still a small number of ye still go on about our poor record in finals. Fergal Horgan was the referee in 2015. Galway never expressed any complaints when he was appointed to referee the 2017 final and he is my opinion one of the best referees in the country. I was at the game too and felt that both teams gave as good as they got. I took the trouble to check out reports of the game and I found that three Galway men and two Limerick men were yellow carded. Perhaps you are wearing maroon tented glasses. BTW, I never suggested limerick players were angels, but fifteen of those cherubs never won an All Ireland.
Furthermore, do you have any memory of the '94 championship. Well I do, As it happened I attended every game of note in that years championship and it came as no surprise to me that Offaly blew Limerick away in the last few minutes, as they had done the same to other teams that year. On the way to that final they had beaten both the All Ireland Finalists of '93 and a very strong Wexford team (they were involved in 2 draws in the '93 League and also took KK to a replay in the final that year).I will never forget the performance they gave in the Leinster Semi Final against KK. They were eight points down after fifteen minutes, when they introduced Daithi Regan. This was the catalyst for Offaly to explode and by half time they had not only overhauled the All Ireland Champs but gone into an eight point lead themselves and they went fifteen points up early in the second half and after lapsing a little KK reduced to lead to 8 or 9, but they never looked like winning it. Wexford were going well in the Leinster Final until a brilliant John Troy goal was the flash point that started another blitz and the game was soon over long long before the end.
Also it should be recalled that this team inflicted one of their heaviest defeats ever on KK in the '95 Leinster Final. So the famous story that the collapse of Limerick was as inexplicable as some would have us believe is a bit over the top. Offaly were very deserving winners of that All Ireland as they were definitely the best team in the country that year.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2213 - 18/07/2019 14:28:34    2212774

Link