Galway Forum

Galway V Kerry

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Belclare:  "First of all I'm arguing your point, not with you. Goals last year league and Champ Damian Comer 4, Ian Burke 1 Shane walsh 1 Johnny Heaney 1. While we could have scored more in some games we did put up high scores. However i dont get what you want? Is it Kevin Walsh reading your post and agreeing and asking Liam Sammon in to improve Ian Burke ????"
I think you're deliberately trying to skew my point. I mentioned that passing and kicking could be improved in general not just 1 or 2 players. There were many misplaced passes yesterday leading to costly turnovers which is a basic skills issue it appears. Also I mentioned slow and ponderous build-up play leading to opposition defences having plenty of time to get ready numerous times here. Are you saying that Kevin Walsh and the team are now going well as that is not what you were saying a few weeks back? At least be consistent.

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 25/02/2019 16:52:57    2168078

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "I don't think we have the defenders to play a more attacking expansive brand. Look where 'attacking expansive' football has taken Donegal to. Div2, and unlikely to promote. I believe that we have beaten Mayo 3 times in a row in championship because of the defensive system we deployed on those match days. I think KW & his backroom team know what they're at. We don't have the players of proven defensive quality to be talking BS about being 'more expansive', while seemingly making the assumption that our results won't take a battering in the process. We thought we had an unbeatable new fullback a year ago. This year he looks vulnerable, even in a blanket. Lads on here saying our best cornerback for the last few years isn't up to it? Hardly a recipe for a blanket protest at the moment. Let's 'evolve', when we have the defenders to evolve with."
Disagree Pope, you could not compare Donegal and Galway defenders, Donegal are missing McGrath, McGee, Gillespie, Thompson and O'Baoil from their defence and more importantly McNeilis, McBrearty and Murphy from their attack. 7 of them have played on All Ireland final day with McNeilis the only one of the 7 without the big medal. But I do believe Galway can play a high press attacking game but Power, Mulkerrins, Silke, Daly, Wall need to come into the reckoning, Ruairi Greene also needs to be considered. Conroy is seriously missed in the middle. They have nobody to link play like him, Daly and Walsh haven't been doing it. If you think Galway don't have the players you need to watch more club football. The issue I have is the system they are like robots. When teams step up and press the middle sector the entire backline is in trouble if the ball is turned over as evidenced by the Kerry goal chance yesterday. They look ok defensively when the other team has a slow ponderous attack until you know the stupid tackle is going to come and they concede a free out around the "D", yet when a tackle should be made like the one Tomas o' Se should have felt yesterday he didn't, he was let get momentum. He rode at least three poor efforts.

EDH (Galway) - Posts: 321 - 25/02/2019 17:16:38    2168087

Link

Replying To Pope_Benedict:  "'Scored' one. You can't be expecting one of those to 'fall out of the sky' every week. Hennelly of Mayo was on fire against Dublin. I'll predict we won't score a goal next week-end."
Mayo were opened up at the back against Dublin. Could easily have conceded 5 goals were it not for hennelly. Dublin moved the ball by foot and gave quick ball to their forwards who carved up mayo. If we adopt the same approach, I'd expect us to create goal chances.

The final scoreline flattered mayo. In reality, they were torn apart all over the field. In my opinion, this had more to do with an ageing mayo team than anything. If you are beaten for pace at this level, then its all over and that's what happened on a number of occasions. Sooner rather than later, they will ship a very heavy defeat.

As for Galway, 4 pts from 4 games is not bad considering the injury list and the absence of the corofin contingent. I'd agree with you in relation to our backs. Last year our half back line was found out. This year our half back line should be Molloy, daly, wall when they become available. Throw in Liam silke, o ceallaigh, kerin with power in goal and it's a whole different ball game.

Its still only February but I'd still give our management the benefit of the doubt until they have a full hand to choose from. I'd expect us to survive in the division 1 which will be a great achievement considering the players we are missing.

Reversepass1 (Galway) - Posts: 215 - 25/02/2019 17:30:42    2168089

Link

Replying To EDH:  "Disagree Pope, you could not compare Donegal and Galway defenders, Donegal are missing McGrath, McGee, Gillespie, Thompson and O'Baoil from their defence and more importantly McNeilis, McBrearty and Murphy from their attack. 7 of them have played on All Ireland final day with McNeilis the only one of the 7 without the big medal. But I do believe Galway can play a high press attacking game but Power, Mulkerrins, Silke, Daly, Wall need to come into the reckoning, Ruairi Greene also needs to be considered. Conroy is seriously missed in the middle. They have nobody to link play like him, Daly and Walsh haven't been doing it. If you think Galway don't have the players you need to watch more club football. The issue I have is the system they are like robots. When teams step up and press the middle sector the entire backline is in trouble if the ball is turned over as evidenced by the Kerry goal chance yesterday. They look ok defensively when the other team has a slow ponderous attack until you know the stupid tackle is going to come and they concede a free out around the "D", yet when a tackle should be made like the one Tomas o' Se should have felt yesterday he didn't, he was let get momentum. He rode at least three poor efforts."
Would agree with that. Why do Galway defenders and other players stand so far off their men without a decent tackle being put in and then when it does happen they usually foul? Sean Andy stood off Walsh numerous times yesterday - why is he and others just marking space instead of their opponents?

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 25/02/2019 17:34:00    2168090

Link

Replying To bud14:  "Good man your talking spot on here we have good footballers in galway and this defensive muck we are playing.Good footballers should be let them Express themselves."
Defensive muck? Well I would prefer if Galway kicked the ball into the full forward line. Yes that is the tactic to use. But don't concede either.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 1574 - 25/02/2019 18:20:39    2168104

Link

just watch Dublin and the acurate kick passing
theres no slow build up the ball is moved at speed all the times
the way the full back tear down the pitch the minuite they get the ball
the continuos movement of Dublin players all over the pitch
this is not easy and demands a high fitness level
and most of all the mindset and willingness to do it

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 994 - 25/02/2019 18:55:48    2168115

Link

It's funny how quickly people jump on and off bandwagons on this forum. All the talk last year was " Duggan should be starting " and look at the reaction he's getting now. Built the guy up too quickly, he was talked about as the next Ciaran Whelan after 1 good game against Mayo. As someone has previously stated Sean Andy was going to be the solution to all the full back problems, but that's certainly not the case and maybe the second season syndrome is real in his case.

candlewax (Galway) - Posts: 178 - 25/02/2019 20:23:05    2168146

Link

Calm down
We lost by a point to the team who last week were going to stall the drive for 5 with only 7-8 championship starters playing
Relax
If this was 4-5 years ago we would be heading to division three
Don't blow the lid lads

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 25/02/2019 21:26:01    2168173

Link

Plenty of deserved criticism for Kerin for the turnover near the end, but there were three subsequent missed tackles which were equally as bad. Kerin been doing well last few years, Paul Mannion took him to the cleaners but outside of that think he;s been holding his own. Surely Cummins will start the next day, two big cameos against Kerry and Monaghan think himself and Burke would be some duo up top. Again no ambition from management though which would be a concern.

WunderBar (Galway) - Posts: 221 - 26/02/2019 09:32:19    2168245

Link

Are the management deliberately telling the players not to tackle the opposition or put any pressure on them in case they give away a free? I would love to be an opposition player against that Galway "defence". As Tomas O'Se said on the League Sunday programme "Galway can be an easy team to score against"!

tommy k (Galway) - Posts: 2258 - 26/02/2019 11:54:02    2168305

Link

Replying To tommy k:  "Are the management deliberately telling the players not to tackle the opposition or put any pressure on them in case they give away a free? I would love to be an opposition player against that Galway "defence". As Tomas O'Se said on the League Sunday programme "Galway can be an easy team to score against"!"
O'Se talking nonsense.

Kerin & Sean Andy are very intense in the tackle and Bradshaw and Sean Kelly aren't far from behind. The issue is some of the midfielders and forwards who drift backwards, plenty of scores come of them.

JDF (Galway) - Posts: 313 - 26/02/2019 14:33:32    2168366

Link

Replying To WunderBar:  "Plenty of deserved criticism for Kerin for the turnover near the end, but there were three subsequent missed tackles which were equally as bad. Kerin been doing well last few years, Paul Mannion took him to the cleaners but outside of that think he;s been holding his own. Surely Cummins will start the next day, two big cameos against Kerry and Monaghan think himself and Burke would be some duo up top. Again no ambition from management though which would be a concern."
Its insane how they haven't trialed a FF line of Burke Comer and Cummins !

EugeneFox (Galway) - Posts: 158 - 26/02/2019 16:33:37    2168441

Link

Replying To EugeneFox:  "Its insane how they haven't trialed a FF line of Burke Comer and Cummins !"
its not insane when you consider we play with one in the ff line and one outside between 30-40 meters....those two ahve been comer and ian burke....people are calling for kevin to be more attacking well a simple way to do that is to put an extra player inside ie cummins and still hold a third player as the out ball on the 45 or so....comer would do the job there.... if danny was running off ian burke hand passes he would wrek havoc

squares_edge (Galway) - Posts: 524 - 26/02/2019 18:51:14    2168478

Link

Hope it goes well for Danny this year
Always a hard goer

Maroonedinlongford (Galway) - Posts: 177 - 26/02/2019 20:32:05    2168500

Link