Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Halfway through our main competition. Here is my take so far:

Even though we have been in the position to get promoted before we have never felt fully comfortable with the pressure. This year feels different. I genuinely feel we haven't had a full 70 minutes performance yet which is exciting.

We have Limerick away, London at home, Derry away and Waterford at home to finish the campaign. Two wins and we should be safely through with a game in Croke Park to look forward to.

We are playing a pragmatic style of football. It couldn't not be said that it is overly defensive or overly offensive.

We're also starting to see our squad take shape now with players returning from injuries or extended breaks.

Competition is probably at the highest rate it's ever been on a Leitrim panel and that's without Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne and James Mitchell three players we all would have thought would have been on the panel this year but for various reasons are not.

After Darragh Rooney's performance the last day I would assume the management have to start him from now on. An attack based on a triangle of Rooney, Heslin and O'Rourke should be able to cause sufficient problems. Personally I would be adding Gary Plunkett to the other 3.

Our sweeper system with Sean McWeeney at its fulcrum has largely worked with a bit of confusion at times. I would worry that once the ground hardens that he might be caught for pace and that we might be better with Shane Quinn as the sweeper at wing forward and Oisin Madden at Wing back? He was brilliant here last year. I know he is our best man marker and consistent player but could Paddy be an option at 6 if Fergal McTague performs well in the full back line after his injury? It would release Mark Plunkett and Maguire is brilliant at coming out of defence with the ball?

One of Two big decisions that Terry Hyland made was playing Mark Plunkett at centre back. This has been a success. He is a leader, an imposing presence and his ability to use long range foot passing has been an added string to our bow. The only nagging feeling I have is that we would be an even better team if he was at 11? Gary Reynolds could be a solution but I'm not sure he has the pace? The second decision Terry made was Dean McGovern at 14. It worked brilliantly against Mayo but hasn't really clicked since. I think I would persist with it but when you're leaving quality such as Gary Plunkett, Rooney, Mulligan and McGloin on the bench to play McGovern in a position he is not used to it becomes harder to sell especially when Dean can definitely play at Wing forward or midfield.

Next goal is to gain promotion as quickly as possible. Win the next two games and then we can start experimenting with a few players who are close to the starting line-up. In the long run this would give us an added boost before the championship were I expect us to be much more competitive.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 232 - 15/02/2019 14:00:21    2165496

Link

Replying To offyertrolley:  "Thanks for that. Some bitter memories of Kilmallock from 2008. We were relegated to Div 4 on that ground. We shouldn't have lost that day. It would be good to set the record straight this time."
was there that day........ greatest robbery ever. John Mc keon kicked the ball from midfield just before the referee blew for half time; the ball ended up over the bar from his kick but the whistle went while it was in the air and the score wasn't counted! Ridiculous decision; we ended up losing by a point and in Div 4 instead of Div 3...... Was gutted that evening.

Now a chance to put it right at long last!!

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 70 - 15/02/2019 14:07:09    2165500

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "Halfway through our main competition. Here is my take so far:

Even though we have been in the position to get promoted before we have never felt fully comfortable with the pressure. This year feels different. I genuinely feel we haven't had a full 70 minutes performance yet which is exciting.

We have Limerick away, London at home, Derry away and Waterford at home to finish the campaign. Two wins and we should be safely through with a game in Croke Park to look forward to.

We are playing a pragmatic style of football. It couldn't not be said that it is overly defensive or overly offensive.

We're also starting to see our squad take shape now with players returning from injuries or extended breaks.

Competition is probably at the highest rate it's ever been on a Leitrim panel and that's without Donal Wrynn, Keith Beirne and James Mitchell three players we all would have thought would have been on the panel this year but for various reasons are not.

After Darragh Rooney's performance the last day I would assume the management have to start him from now on. An attack based on a triangle of Rooney, Heslin and O'Rourke should be able to cause sufficient problems. Personally I would be adding Gary Plunkett to the other 3.

Our sweeper system with Sean McWeeney at its fulcrum has largely worked with a bit of confusion at times. I would worry that once the ground hardens that he might be caught for pace and that we might be better with Shane Quinn as the sweeper at wing forward and Oisin Madden at Wing back? He was brilliant here last year. I know he is our best man marker and consistent player but could Paddy be an option at 6 if Fergal McTague performs well in the full back line after his injury? It would release Mark Plunkett and Maguire is brilliant at coming out of defence with the ball?

One of Two big decisions that Terry Hyland made was playing Mark Plunkett at centre back. This has been a success. He is a leader, an imposing presence and his ability to use long range foot passing has been an added string to our bow. The only nagging feeling I have is that we would be an even better team if he was at 11? Gary Reynolds could be a solution but I'm not sure he has the pace? The second decision Terry made was Dean McGovern at 14. It worked brilliantly against Mayo but hasn't really clicked since. I think I would persist with it but when you're leaving quality such as Gary Plunkett, Rooney, Mulligan and McGloin on the bench to play McGovern in a position he is not used to it becomes harder to sell especially when Dean can definitely play at Wing forward or midfield.

Next goal is to gain promotion as quickly as possible. Win the next two games and then we can start experimenting with a few players who are close to the starting line-up. In the long run this would give us an added boost before the championship were I expect us to be much more competitive."
Surely it would make more sense to play mc tague full back and paddy on the corner and drop flynn as he is not a natural corner back or man marker. I think he has a role to come of the bench for mc weeney possibly. Rooney has to start and I would like to see the bench used earlier as we run a lot so from 40 minutes we should introduce the bench. I think wicklow could be our biggest threat to second place assuming we don't top the table.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 246 - 15/02/2019 23:46:37    2165602

Link

Eddie 1 here

The B & B in Kilmmallock is booked.

We are going Thursday

See you there

Eddie1

Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 208 - 16/02/2019 10:57:46    2165626

Link