Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

FT Limerick 0-11 Leitrim 0-12. Well done to all. That win means promotion is as good as secured now.

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2438 - 23/02/2019 16:39:23    2167176

Link

What a win!! Fair dues never say die!!

liatroim_abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 82 - 23/02/2019 16:42:59    2167179

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "FT Limerick 0-11 Leitrim 0-12. Well done to all. That win means promotion is as good as secured now."
It would take a calamity of Devon Loch proportions for us not to make the top two in Division 4 now. It's turning into an unbelievable season to be a Leitrim supporter, and the support that will surely be in Carrick for the two home games against London and Waterford will be something else! After so many unhappy and bad days this is unreal.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 436 - 23/02/2019 16:56:16    2167192

Link

The most important thing about today was the result and many of us would have taken the draw but we got over the line.

We didn't create too many goal chances limerick created 4 and only for our keeper there might ha r been a post mortem on here this evening.

Another point in the second half we were in possession between the 65 and 45 and our inside left forward made great runs but our ball carriers didn't lift their heads at least 4 times this happened

Don't want to be over critical but both teams showed why this was a division 4 match at times kicking easy wides in both half's in front of goal

How many times have we come away on the wrong side of those results over the years

Look we take it and move on and a trip to hq on March 30th, London is a potential banana skin for us as they always seem to raise their game against us and deeley has them in good order right now win that and hotels buses can be booked, let's get it done next week and let the players express themselves in the last 2 games with hq on the horizon

manchesterbhoy (UK) - Posts: 11 - 23/02/2019 23:30:23    2167350

Link

Spirit and Result are the two stand out factors from yesterday's game. I think complacency had crept in and team underestimated Limerick. Limerick had two powerful midfielders, one exceptional wing back and overall a well balanced outfit. Our full back line were pushed back more this year yesterday than any other game even if Paddy got up to score his trademark point. Aiden Flynn made some huge turnovers in the second half that were so vital in the result. Ray Mulvey shone from start to finish. He covered ground with ease and his use of the ball exceptional. Mark is still learning the centre back role but he is smart enough to get there. His point was a beauty. Quinn was more like his old self yesterday, hasn't yet reached last years level. Shane and Pearse struggled at times but stuck at it, certainly didn't things got any better when Pearse was taken off. The forwards were ok, Domhnall Flynn had great first half but was out on his feet for all of the second half before being subbed. Evan was showing a lot but retreated too much with possession. Ryan seemed afraid to shoot but showed well and won a lot of primary posssession. Dara needs room and half forward suits him best. Was disappointed for him yesterday. Nothing went right for him. Subs did okay but the worry is the goal chances we conceded and kick outs we lost. Work needed in both those areas. But we are almost certainly going up. What a year... so far!

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 24/02/2019 08:46:48    2167396

Link

Another heart stopping finish yesterday great to grind put another victory because no more than the Antrim and Wicklow games we'd have lost that in years gone by. The spirit and battling qualities are impressive but been honest we were poor yesterday and if we'd lost couldn't have had any complaints. Our defence was cut open far too easily in first half limerick could have had 4 goals and we were fortunate to be within 2 points at half time. Limericks two giant midfielder and attacking wing back caused us a lot of bother. We tightened up at the back second half and had a lot more possession but on a very tight pitch and with Ryan O'Rourke double marked and limerick flooding defence we really struggled to get scores and could never pull away. Our decision making in possession was poor throughout and this really needs to be worked on. Magnificent point from Gary Plunkett to win it the right man to take a long range point like that too. Huge improvement needed going forward but the positive is we're almost at our goal of promotion at last. One more win I think will do it. Great support there yesterday well over 600 of the 750 crowd were from leitrim. Hope to see a big crowd in Carrick next Sunday and hopefully a win too.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 24/02/2019 10:25:09    2167421

Link

Keep it up Leitrim hope you go on do the business
Be a proud day for Leitrim and Connacht to see you in croke park
and winning a league title and promotion as well
Connacht championship is gonna be very interesting this year

rhudson (Galway) - Posts: 1072 - 24/02/2019 11:51:21    2167452

Link

If Derry win today and we beat London next Saturday we will be promoted I believe???......league is based on head to head records so we would be 4 points clear (at least) heading into the final 2 rounds having beaten the teams who are likely to be 4 points behind.

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 24/02/2019 12:39:03    2167474

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Another heart stopping finish yesterday great to grind put another victory because no more than the Antrim and Wicklow games we'd have lost that in years gone by. The spirit and battling qualities are impressive but been honest we were poor yesterday and if we'd lost couldn't have had any complaints. Our defence was cut open far too easily in first half limerick could have had 4 goals and we were fortunate to be within 2 points at half time. Limericks two giant midfielder and attacking wing back caused us a lot of bother. We tightened up at the back second half and had a lot more possession but on a very tight pitch and with Ryan O'Rourke double marked and limerick flooding defence we really struggled to get scores and could never pull away. Our decision making in possession was poor throughout and this really needs to be worked on. Magnificent point from Gary Plunkett to win it the right man to take a long range point like that too. Huge improvement needed going forward but the positive is we're almost at our goal of promotion at last. One more win I think will do it. Great support there yesterday well over 600 of the 750 crowd were from leitrim. Hope to see a big crowd in Carrick next Sunday and hopefully a win too."
Great win but I agree that Limerick cut through us too easy. We need to tighten at the back and at midfield also. Having said that this team never gives up and we have forwards that can take pressure scores.
Whilst it will be great to see Leitrim in Croke park for division 4 final, we don't want a hammering there from Derry in the wide open spaces to end our season, that wouldn't bode well going into the championship.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 24/02/2019 13:01:15    2167482

Link

Limerick made it very hard for us.They play with 15 behind the ball.But a wins a win.Whens the last time we won 4 on the trot?

moesyzlack (USA) - Posts: 160 - 24/02/2019 15:35:00    2167505

Link

If my maths are correct we only need to win one of the last 3 games to guarantee promotion. What a time to be alive.

MagnumPIG (Leitrim) - Posts: 125 - 24/02/2019 18:27:42    2167611

Link

In a weird way I'm enjoying coming on here after another win and seeing people criticising aspects of our game (and rightly so in many cases). For so many years I've watched us fade away in games like this and accept defeat. We've leaders in every line of the pitch now.

Diarmuid produced a few great saves but had a few clangers. He will be under pressure now with how brilliant McCranns Kickouts are on the bench.

Cut open through the middle 5 or 6 times yesterday. I do think a lot of the issue is our sweeper system. It means that at times some of our defenders don't take responsibility as they are waiting for others to step up. Our defence scrambled well but I do think we are going to have to make a few tweaks. McWeeney had a great second half but struggles for gas at times but after being away from inter-county football for so long as is to be expected. Not much more to say about Paddy Maguire, he's outstanding! Plunkett at 6 is a necessary evil, he would be a game changer at 11 but it seems like Terry Hyland doesn't want to rob Peter to pay Paul and put Paddy at 6 who is probably the only other solution. Ray Mulvey is beginning to look settled and comfortable being a inter-county wing back, he is another who fast ground should suit.

In our forward unit: I thought Rooney showed very well on a tight pitch but just couldn't get the space to get his shot off. Dean McGovern apart from his point had very little impact and will be under pressure for his place. Domhnaill is very calm on the ball but once the pace gets picked up the game seems to pass him by. Ryan was double and tripled marked and will get more spaces on bigger pitches no worry about him atall.

When we name D.Flynn, S.McWeeney and McGovern in our forward line it's no surprise we struggled for scores as none of them are heavy scoreres to say the least, especially against a flooded Limerick defence on a tight pitch.

Midfield worked tirelessly and Morans interception near the end was immense. Dolan hasn't dominated a game yet but he's improving with every game against much older and stronger men his workrate was outstanding yesterday.

Unfortunately Fergal McTague has had a recurrence of his Hamstring injury and won't see any league football. Now that we should be promoted its less of a blow, we desperately need him for championship though!

Jack Heslin should be back in contention very soon but I'd nearly leave him until Croke Park and this stage to fully recover and he should throve in the Wide open spaces in Croker, we missed his runs with the ball.

Oisin Madden and Noel Plunkett are back in full training which is great to hear and should see game time over the next few weeks. Sean Flanagan seemed to hurt his ankle during the warm up but it's said he's not to bad. 6 or 7 players have been cut in the last week so what we have on our panel is us for the year now.

Some Cajones by Gary Plunkett to take the kick on from where he did, he destroyed most teams in our club championship so it was no surprise. He will be really pushing on now to get a start. Would love to see a full forward line with Plunkett, Rooney and O'Rourke.

Great atmosphere in Limerick and every player commented on it which says a lot. London will be very tuff in the first half next weekend but hopefully we can finally get over the line!

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 145 - 24/02/2019 19:30:24    2167643

Link

Eddie 1 here

Just back from Kilmallock

What a performance from the team. They stood up like men yesterday and never took a backward step and it was only right when the final whistle went the supporters stood up too . In fact the supporters came on to the pitch and congratulated the players individually and when the players were walking back to the dressing room Leitrim supporters gathered and applauded them in to the dressing room. It was pure magic to be there. For meself and herself it brought back great memories and herself was complaining of a pain in her chest afterwards. Could the team win the next game by a few points and take off a bit of pressure of the supporters . I thought some of the old time supporters were going to keel over with the excitement near the end.

Well done to all anyway , it is great to be alive and be a part of the journey to Croke Park .

Long may the good days continue

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 24/02/2019 21:29:33    2167721

Link

Wonderful reaction from Supporters -I have not seen anything like it in my time following Leitrim .

I expect our match with London to be a dog fight and a big home crowd will help.

Win this and we are promoted.Lose it and two tough games could de rail all the good work.

Well done again to the team and excellent management

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 24/02/2019 22:22:02    2167758

Link

Them close games don't make it easy on the heart at all.

Firstly, the support was incredible. Shows when Leitrim people believe in something they will go great lengths to support it. 90 mins beforehand a pub in Kilmalock was already packed with Leitrim people!!

Nervy performance on Sunday! Carried the ball in to contact far too many times and our decision making in the final third was letting us down big time. 10 different scorers yesterday again against a very defensive team which is impressive.
Thought O'Rourke showed great temperament when double marked and always tried to do the right thing. We missed Heslin on the half forward line, we were too easy to predict as everything became too slow. When Rooney, Heslin and O'Rourke click it's going to be brilliant to watch. Don't see how Gary Plunkett can be looked over any more. Feel he's a far better scoring option than McGovern or Sweeney also its taking him a while to get to the pace of the game when he does come on so I don't see why they wouldn't start him from the beginning.

Proud to be a Leitrim supporter, All credit to Terry, Gary Donoghoe, Jason, Pauric and the squad.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 66 - 25/02/2019 11:49:51    2167926

Link

It's great to be a leitrim supporter this season. For the first time I ever remember. Each game they play is the biggest game for leitrim in years. This weekend beat London we are promoted so that's the biggest game we will play in years. Game after that Derry in celtic park that will be a real test and one the players will relish. Last game at home to waterford will see the fringe players get a run out and try to stake a claim for the league final the following week. What an occasion Croke Park will be on March 30th especially against Derry. Park the league their then and give everything against roscommon and see what we can achieve their. we are long enough in the doldrums

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 166 - 25/02/2019 12:18:33    2167941

Link

Thought the oul ground seen better days, pitch wasn't that great considering we were in the Golden Vale, tight, and the oul rickety stand where the sun wasn't shining into must be built in 1890.
Anyway it was very tight, no room to maneuver and of course Limerick decided they'd play like it was an All-Ireland final. They kicked points with half the buildup of Leitrim. Anyway great atmosphere and Leitrim kept at it. Thought Paddy Maguire was immense, what a save by McKIernan!! Leitrim fought like tigers for the ball in that second half. I know there was a lot of silly mistakes but for sheer heart you'd have to commend the lads. I would have settled for a draw near the end. To get the winner was unbelievable!
I remember going to Leitrim games in the past, and it wasn't that we were beaten but we didn't even try. I used to say if only they gave it their all I would be happy. Great days for a Leitrim supporter, fair play to those who made the trip. There's older men from my parish that shouldn't be able for a trip like that, but went all the way.

Grey_Wolf (Leitrim) - Posts: 226 - 25/02/2019 13:01:45    2167971

Link

4 from 4. What a feeling. To win our last 3 games in the manner we have shows what this group of men are made of. And the most pleasing thing about it all is that we can all see room for improvement and are aware that this team is not the finished article.

I said before a ball was kicked that 10 points would be the magic number and it certainly seems now that will be the case. Whilst the job is not fully done yet i do not expect us to implode in the manner that would be required from here and i think we will beat London on Sunday with a bit of spare. Probably 5 or 6 points if not more.

It is very hard not to think of the day out in Croker. It will be great to see our county taking to the field in HQ. Lots of counties take it for granted but i do hope we all (fans and players) enjoy the day out because who knows when we will be back there again. I can see our team being an even better outfit playing on the hard ground and wide open spaces of Croke Park. Bring it on.

Croke Park on the 30th of March will be our biggest game since when?

Connacht Final in 2000? All Ireland Semi Final 1994?

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 25/02/2019 13:12:09    2167974

Link

I think we need to fully focus on London game and no further than that. We only have to go back to 2013 to know London more than capable of causing an upset, keep our feet on the ground perform against London and hopefully this time next week we'll be planning for croke park. Think these lads are grounded enough to realise that too. Great to see the buzz back in the county long may it last.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 25/02/2019 14:13:45    2168007

Link

Back to the game on Saturday my synopsis of it was that we were perhaps lucky to get out of there with the win in the end but the never say die attitude of these lads can not be questioned. The one thing I always say about this current squad is that every single one of them want to represent the county and love putting on that famous jersey. In the recent past we had players that held the county team to ransom who made it feel like they couldn't be done without and had the attuide of we can come and go as we please this current crop seem to have the reverse attuide.
On the last day I thought ray mulvey was outstanding followed closely by the Leitrim full back line. Flynn was the best forward we had. Again when some of our other players were well marshalled or didn't just get going properly other lads stood up to the plate. The biggest concern for me would be the lack of pace on our half forward line. I would say the 3 lads work rate and honesty gets 10/10 but I'd also say they are the 3 slowest lads on the team to have them all on one line is a slight worry. But not for a second will I question the management as results prove it has worked so far. I'd be more concerned for the hard ground of championship but that's for another day!!!

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 166 - 25/02/2019 14:28:38    2168022

Link