Here's the team I would go with for Aughrim on Sunday:

McKiernan
M. McWeeney Paddy Flynn
Quinn M.Plunkett Mulvey
Dolan
Moran
Heslin G.Plunkett Flynn
O'Rourke McGovern McWeeney

After winning by 13 points I can't see there being many changes if any. It didn't really work out for Damien Moran the last day so I think I'd bring in Gary Plunkett who is a lot more explosive. The only reason I am not considering starting Darragh Rooney is the fact he is still involved in Sigerson with DCU and is still only 20 and we have options so there is no need to burn him out this early in the year! Him and McGloin are serious options to bring on with 25 mins left as they are fast and direct, by the time championship comes around I expect them to be there or there abouts for a starting role.

Much like the sod in Pairc Sean the field in Aughrim makes for a slow enough game especially in these weather conditions . Shane Moran is going to have to have a huge game again especially in the physical matters. I think I would also take McGovern out completely and have him around the middle. It would also give us 4 long options on our own kick outs. That would leave 3 players permanently in our attack in Heslin, O'Rourke and Plunkett as McWeeney has been a sweeper and Flynn also drops deep. It may sound defensive but they all have pace and then you would have runners from deep to support them.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 30/01/2019 13:15:30    2160915

Link

Yes Eddie 1 is right everyone needs to calm down we won at home against a wexford team that arent great let's be fair. However Leitrim do look well balanced, we have a good squad and we seem fitter and hungrier than other years. I think we can still improve like Ryan O Rourke was v good the last day but I think if Mulligan and Rooney start he would be better because they are quality forwards.
I'd like to see Mark Plunkett further up field because he is dangerous but having said that we have a good attacking half back line. Shane Moran needs to stop carrying into trouble and he will cause more harm to teams and if we can stop shooting outside the range and work it in we should keep up the high scores. We have a lot of lads capable of taking a score and good subs to come on too. Also with lads returning from injury competition for places will be tough which is good.
Big game this week wickla are known for being very physical and very dirty but football always wins so hopefully we come out on top. I'd say there are a few teams capable of taking points of each other and Derry are by no means unbeatable so if we win this weekend we will have the wind at our backs facing into Antrim at home. One game at a time..

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 30/01/2019 13:49:12    2160933

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Yes Eddie 1 is right everyone needs to calm down we won at home against a wexford team that arent great let's be fair. However Leitrim do look well balanced, we have a good squad and we seem fitter and hungrier than other years. I think we can still improve like Ryan O Rourke was v good the last day but I think if Mulligan and Rooney start he would be better because they are quality forwards.
I'd like to see Mark Plunkett further up field because he is dangerous but having said that we have a good attacking half back line. Shane Moran needs to stop carrying into trouble and he will cause more harm to teams and if we can stop shooting outside the range and work it in we should keep up the high scores. We have a lot of lads capable of taking a score and good subs to come on too. Also with lads returning from injury competition for places will be tough which is good.
Big game this week wickla are known for being very physical and very dirty but football always wins so hopefully we come out on top. I'd say there are a few teams capable of taking points of each other and Derry are by no means unbeatable so if we win this weekend we will have the wind at our backs facing into Antrim at home. One game at a time.."
You are not seriously suggesting Ryan shouldn't start! Few defences will handle him and we are blessed with talented forwards so it will be Wicklow's problem figuring out how to deal with us. Jack Heslin was another unsung hero from the Wexford game - a perfect partner for Ryan up front.Hopefully Emlyn will be in Aughrim although he is only resuming training in the last two weeks. Evan Sweeney will be another option if he has recovered from a hamstring problem.If we perform with the same level of intensity and belief shown over the last 2 games we will win. Let's hope the weather doesn' t stop it.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 30/01/2019 17:46:32    2161008

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "You are not seriously suggesting Ryan shouldn't start! Few defences will handle him and we are blessed with talented forwards so it will be Wicklow's problem figuring out how to deal with us. Jack Heslin was another unsung hero from the Wexford game - a perfect partner for Ryan up front.Hopefully Emlyn will be in Aughrim although he is only resuming training in the last two weeks. Evan Sweeney will be another option if he has recovered from a hamstring problem.If we perform with the same level of intensity and belief shown over the last 2 games we will win. Let's hope the weather doesn' t stop it."
No I am not suggesting that at all maybe you should 're read the post. I believe he will get better playing with more skilful forwards. There were a few lads starting in the forward line the last day that I feel may be dropped in the next game or so.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 30/01/2019 20:08:56    2161044

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "You are not seriously suggesting Ryan shouldn't start! Few defences will handle him and we are blessed with talented forwards so it will be Wicklow's problem figuring out how to deal with us. Jack Heslin was another unsung hero from the Wexford game - a perfect partner for Ryan up front.Hopefully Emlyn will be in Aughrim although he is only resuming training in the last two weeks. Evan Sweeney will be another option if he has recovered from a hamstring problem.If we perform with the same level of intensity and belief shown over the last 2 games we will win. Let's hope the weather doesn' t stop it."
No I am not suggesting that at all maybe you should 're read the post. I believe he will get better playing with more skilful forwards. There were a few lads starting in the forward line the last day that I feel may be dropped in the next game or so.

harleys (Leitrim) - Posts: 284 - 30/01/2019 23:48:13    2161091

Link

I think the team will obviously be very similar again. Goalie defence midfield will be the same might be one change with either Sweeney, Plunkett or darragh Rooney coming in for Damien Moran. I personally think the team that started the last day deserve to start again Sunday

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 31/01/2019 11:05:05    2161139

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I think the team will obviously be very similar again. Goalie defence midfield will be the same might be one change with either Sweeney, Plunkett or darragh Rooney coming in for Damien Moran. I personally think the team that started the last day deserve to start again Sunday"
I agree, I think defense and Midfield should stay the same but I would make few positional switches maybe:

- Replace Flynn who was largely ineffective v Wexford
- Bring out McGovern to the half forward line
- Put D. Moran FF where he does is best work
- Bring in Sweeney or Rooney and have [ O'Rourke - Moran - Rooney/Sweeney] in the inside line.

A few tweaks and see how that works. Conditions will be tough v Wicklow but we should have enough for them, hopefully.

Frawnci3 (Leitrim) - Posts: 63 - 31/01/2019 11:30:24    2161147

Link

I don't think there will be any more than one change for the weekend if any. If the game goes ahead we will need to be prepared for a physical battle and to protect some of our players who will surely be targeted. We will also need to cut down on the amount of frees we are giving away. It is said Hyland is a big fan of Evan Sweeney but I find it doubtful that he would go from not being fit enough to be a substitute last weekend to a starting position this week.

What's more likely to happen is that there will be a shake-up of our substitutes. There were 3 or 4 players named last weekend that I can't see making the final panel after it is cut. I would expect Sweeney if he is fit, Emlyn and Sean Flanagan to make the bench this weekend. The worry is that none of these are defenders.

We really need Fergal McTague, Oisin Madden, Noel Plunkett and Conor Reynolds to get back to fitness to provide competition and cover for our defenders. Maybe a postponement due to weather would be no bad thing an extra weeks training/recovery etc. We have to remember the league is our main competition so being as prepared for it as possible is no bad thing.
On match day you can only name 26 on a panel, come the championship or the end of the league we will need our strongest bench available. I think this would give us the most cover and impact if everyone is fit.

This is assuming Fergal McTague goes into the full back line and Darragh Rooney and Gary Plunkett both end up starting which I know many will disagree with.

A bench with:
Daire Maxwell (Sub Goalkeeper)
Aidan Flynn
Gary Reynolds
Noel Plunkett
Oisin Madden
Sean Flanagan
Cillian McGloin
Domhnail Flynn
Emlyn Mulligan
Damien Moran
Evan Sweeney

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 31/01/2019 12:49:11    2161168

Link

Replying To Leitrim1234:  "I don't think there will be any more than one change for the weekend if any. If the game goes ahead we will need to be prepared for a physical battle and to protect some of our players who will surely be targeted. We will also need to cut down on the amount of frees we are giving away. It is said Hyland is a big fan of Evan Sweeney but I find it doubtful that he would go from not being fit enough to be a substitute last weekend to a starting position this week.

What's more likely to happen is that there will be a shake-up of our substitutes. There were 3 or 4 players named last weekend that I can't see making the final panel after it is cut. I would expect Sweeney if he is fit, Emlyn and Sean Flanagan to make the bench this weekend. The worry is that none of these are defenders.

We really need Fergal McTague, Oisin Madden, Noel Plunkett and Conor Reynolds to get back to fitness to provide competition and cover for our defenders. Maybe a postponement due to weather would be no bad thing an extra weeks training/recovery etc. We have to remember the league is our main competition so being as prepared for it as possible is no bad thing.
On match day you can only name 26 on a panel, come the championship or the end of the league we will need our strongest bench available. I think this would give us the most cover and impact if everyone is fit.

This is assuming Fergal McTague goes into the full back line and Darragh Rooney and Gary Plunkett both end up starting which I know many will disagree with.

A bench with:
Daire Maxwell (Sub Goalkeeper)
Aidan Flynn
Gary Reynolds
Noel Plunkett
Oisin Madden
Sean Flanagan
Cillian McGloin
Domhnail Flynn
Emlyn Mulligan
Damien Moran
Evan Sweeney"
its worrying to see Maxwell as sub goalie there. he's not first choice for ballinamore and I don't think he's ever started a senior championship game for them. I could be wrong though.

Ouryear (Leitrim) - Posts: 253 - 31/01/2019 13:55:31    2161184

Link

Replying To Ouryear:  "its worrying to see Maxwell as sub goalie there. he's not first choice for ballinamore and I don't think he's ever started a senior championship game for them. I could be wrong though."
Completely agree but it's very hard for anyone to be convinced to be a 2nd choice Goalkeeper with the demands of Inter county football these days. Same thing happened last year when we were forced to Bring Gary Hickey to New York. Maxwell is only third choice for Ballinamore as far as I know so fair play to him. It's a pity that Benny Flynn could not commit as I feel he is on par with McKiernan.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 31/01/2019 15:08:27    2161201

Link

I wouldn't want the game being called off at all. Getting promoted is all about momentum. We have that in spades at the moment. Even with renoylds and Mcteigh back they won't get into that team that started last week. As for the forwards we had on the bench last week we still have all them this week. Mulligan and Sweeney I agree will add to that but being honest the only 2 players that might loose out is Damien Moran and Donal flynn. For either Gary Plunkett, darragh Rooney or mcglion. We have cover for midfield as dean McGovern can play there and imo he's actually the best midfielder we have. I'm very happy heading to Wicklow this Sunday if the 26 that were named on the Wexford panel are all fit and ready for another huge battle.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 31/01/2019 15:14:35    2161205

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "I wouldn't want the game being called off at all. Getting promoted is all about momentum. We have that in spades at the moment. Even with renoylds and Mcteigh back they won't get into that team that started last week. As for the forwards we had on the bench last week we still have all them this week. Mulligan and Sweeney I agree will add to that but being honest the only 2 players that might loose out is Damien Moran and Donal flynn. For either Gary Plunkett, darragh Rooney or mcglion. We have cover for midfield as dean McGovern can play there and imo he's actually the best midfielder we have. I'm very happy heading to Wicklow this Sunday if the 26 that were named on the Wexford panel are all fit and ready for another huge battle."
If your trying to say Fergal McTague once fit won't get into the full back line or that Dean McGovern is a better Midfielder than either Shane Moran or Pearce Dolan than you clearly haven't watched any football in Leitrim in the last year or simply don't have a clue what your'e talking about. McTague is very raw but he was by a long distance the most dominant defender in our club championship and by all accounts gave nothing to Cillian O'Connor in the Connacht Club championship. He's a definite starter! Looks like he will be out for another 3 or 4 weeks unfortunately. McGovern is a good player but it's easy to argue that he isn't fit enough for Midfield at Inter-county level or doesn't have the pure size that is needed. I would agree however that at times he should drop out deep to help in the middle third section.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 31/01/2019 16:54:32    2161238

Link

The only position that Mcteigh can play is full back. Paddy Maguire started there on Sunday. As for dean McGovern at midfield he changed the game in New York when he came off the bench after 20 mins. He's the best fielder we have.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 149 - 31/01/2019 23:38:39    2161310

Link

Hi Everyone,

The weather forecast for Sunday is for a dry day in Aughrim and a fair bit warmer circa 6/7 degrees than the last few days.

So no reason the match wont go ahead.Travelling support will be very important for what will be a tough battle.

Come on Leitrim

joeman123 (Leitrim) - Posts: 159 - 01/02/2019 11:52:53    2161387

Link

Ryan 0'Rourke's Indo Sports Star of the Week Award is richly deserved . Can anybody remember the last Leitrim player to be so honoured? It also recognizes that there is genuine talent in Division 4 ,rarely acknowledged by the Dublin based journalists. It was instructive to read the predictions of 8 Indo sports journalists last Saturday some of whom probably never saw a game beyond Division 2. Colm Keyes & former Monaghan great Dick Clerkin predicted a Leitrim promotion.Next Sunday is another Cup Final for the lads. Looks like there will be a big travelling support which will be a massive boost for the team in a difficult venue.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 01/02/2019 21:26:56    2161563

Link

Replying To harleys:  "No I am not suggesting that at all maybe you should 're read the post. I believe he will get better playing with more skilful forwards. There were a few lads starting in the forward line the last day that I feel may be dropped in the next game or so."
Reread your post -apologies- your point is well made but it looks like Emlyn is still working his way back to full fitness but Jack Heslin looks like the player to also cause problems for any defense.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 01/02/2019 21:31:45    2161566

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Ryan 0'Rourke's Indo Sports Star of the Week Award is richly deserved . Can anybody remember the last Leitrim player to be so honoured? It also recognizes that there is genuine talent in Division 4 ,rarely acknowledged by the Dublin based journalists. It was instructive to read the predictions of 8 Indo sports journalists last Saturday some of whom probably never saw a game beyond Division 2. Colm Keyes & former Monaghan great Dick Clerkin predicted a Leitrim promotion.Next Sunday is another Cup Final for the lads. Looks like there will be a big travelling support which will be a massive boost for the team in a difficult venue."
I agree Ryan O Rourke was immense and as you say richly deserved his award. Wicklow are also confident about Sunday and there is a feel good factor there also. It will be tough and hopefully our forwards can rack up a similar high score like last weekend. Leitrim Abu.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 02/02/2019 11:50:24    2161640

Link

Don't post a lot as over last few year can find things negative , but posts recently all full of confidence and why shouldn't we be... after yesterday's results put things into context ... last year we were caught in Belfast in first game cold, we were then only beaten by Laois in a shoot out and Carlow who were both promoted ... now I know good few games called off but even in challenges big score lines and wins were put up against Waterford sligo etc. scrapped out a result against a very good New York and beat a Louth team with a big win against Westmeath in Div 3 add in the players who for whatever reason didn't play last year for Guickan especially the aughawillan contingent. No magic potion , no messiah , we have good talented footballers in Leitrim . It's a great run in for the league giving us a massive chance. And as what was previously said momentum a great thing. No reason why we can't win Div 4 we have the players. Time to start believing

Robroy1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 119 - 03/02/2019 07:10:48    2161851

Link

Best of luck today lads another vital game, if we can get the win it will be hard earned. We will have to repeat last Sunday's second half performance to do it.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 358 - 03/02/2019 11:35:38    2161912

Link

Tremendous result from Aughrim. I admit to having reservations about the management appointment but I'm prepared to rescind these views. A battling performance that will instil confidence in the lads themselves.
Great result and full credit to all involved.

Boxtyeater (Leitrim) - Posts: 631 - 03/02/2019 16:19:46    2162009

Link