Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Firstly, Well done to all the lads they did themselves proud. Was an extremely proud day to be a Leitrim fan and the excitement around Drumcondra was amazing.

If anyone had of said at the start of the year that we would have been promoted and run Derry to 4 points in Croke Park we all would have taken it. On the day Derry were the better team there's no doubt in that.

From a management team that I think are immense I was perplexed by both the starting line-up and the substitutions that were made during the game. For anyone that has seen either club or county football in the last year in Leitrim it must be hard to understand firstly how Gary Plunkett didn't start and then wasn't even introduced. No-one could understand it. Why then when we were five points down with 15 minutes remaining did we introduce a defender in Conor Reynolds. Taking off Shane Moran who was playing well was also surprising to say the least.

The big call Terry has made all league was to play Mark Plunkett as a centre back when he has been one of the best midfielders/or forward in the county for the last 5 years yet he was doing well at 6 then come the day of a final we play him midfield? Now he was arguably our best player but I seen no reason why he persisted it for the whole league to then change it. Same goes for Sean McWeeney who was sweeper all league yet was then moved to a man marking job for the final? I would imagine Pearce Dolan can't be to impressed after starting every league game and getting dropped for the final to pretty much get Emlyn Muliigan into the team who unfortunately had a shocker. We also need to persist with Darragh Rooney, looks like he found it hard to impact the game when he was introduced but with his talent we need to be finding a way of getting him into the team.

I thought Ryan O'Rourke was excellent but we struggled to get him on the ball enough. Shane Quinn and Ray Mulvey were also brilliant. Plunkett and Moran were also very good at midfield and Plunkett would have been man of the match if he hadn't of missed two scoreable chances. Think we will see him at 11 or in Midfield from now on.

Paddy Maguire was quiet enough but held his own. Michael McWeeney got a bit of a run around and could be worried about his starting position come Dr Hyde with McTague being fit by then.

Been a great 3 months though and there is so much more potential in this team which is so exciting.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 145 - 01/04/2019 16:06:50    2177024

Link

Replying To Grey_Owl:  "I wonder what the story is with Gary Plunkett, cant understand how he didn't get on yesterday, scored match winner in Limerick and one of the decisive points in Aughrim too against Wicklow."
Top Scorer in our club championship by a huge distance, County Final Man of the Match, club player of the year, was brilliant when the Willies played Ballintuber, scores the winner in Limerick from 50 yards yet he can't even get on the field in a team that's kicking 13 wides? Seems either like a hugely bad management decision or that there is an issue that nobody has heard of yet?

Excellent performance by the team though just beaten by the better team.

Really think we can rattle the Rossies.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 241 - 01/04/2019 16:23:24    2177030

Link

Eddie 1 here

Just home from the smoke. What a weekend . It was great to be a Leitrim man in the city at the weekend. Wherever you went you bumped into someone from home.
Herself as she does summed it up ' we were beaten and we clapped the team off the field. Not so long ago when the team was walking of the pitch there was no one to clap them. We met hundreds of Leitrim supporters after the match and not one negative word was spoken about the team. Long may it continue'.

Eddie 1
Up Leitrim

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 216 - 01/04/2019 20:13:13    2177080

Link

Replying To harleys:  "Yes I agree with previous poster, Saturday was a great day out and hopefully we won't wait as long again to be back in Croke Pairc.

I don't think we started with our best 15 on the field I think Mc Govern is a mid fielder and when you have him and Flynn in the forward line you lack pace and scoring threat. I think Rooney should have started in the half forward line instead and switched in and out.

We were the underdogs and when you're up against it you must take your chances, the 8/9 wides in the first half were the looking of the game however the 4 frees we kicked wide should be blamed also. At this level you have to kick your frees and Flynn and O Rourke kicked two each wide and that needs to be addrrssed especially when we have an experienced free taker in mulligan on the field.

I do think this team has great potential though, besides Shane Moran they all need to significantly improve their physique. It was like men against boys at times and Derry walked through us to easy. Also we need to manage the game better, foul in the right areas slow the opposition momentum etc.. but this experience should stand to the lads.

Few weeks hard training now and give roscommon a good rattle then realistically let's hole for a few favourable draws in the back door. Hopefully the club scene unear this a few more players t o strengthen the panell and then pre season needs to commence early in preparation for div 3 because if we do a Carlos and come straight down it will be a disaster"
Good post.

3rdmidfielder (Australia) - Posts: 92 - 01/04/2019 21:41:27    2177109

Link

Replying To 3rdmidfielder:  "Good post."
Well done last weekend- great day out and very enjoyable occassion for all, including the neutral. I just think at this time it would be appropriate to acknowledge the contribution of the previous manager Brendan Guckian. I think he deserves credit for unearthing gems like Ryan O Rourke, Domhnaill Flynn, Dean MvGovern et al. He did a trawl throughout the county in fairness and maybe only for this extensive work those players may not have been uncovered.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 02/04/2019 09:19:07    2177185

Link

Tashy go write on your own page and stop talking dung on this.

MadAboutLeitrim (Leitrim) - Posts: 16 - 02/04/2019 10:57:16    2177208

Link

Replying To MadAboutLeitrim:  "Tashy go write on your own page and stop talking dung on this."
People are free to write on other pages- many Leitrim people come on our forum also and they are always welcomed to the discussion. I would safely say that opinion you gave would not be indicative of the general Leitrim football populus

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 02/04/2019 11:13:48    2177212

Link

It's a promising future for Leitrim, once some of the older players past their best retire and free up spaces for the young lads coming through the excellent underage systems in place. And excellent experienced coaches at that level too mean we are in safe hands. I agree with tashy, and have said it before, Brendan Gurkanian should be applauded for putting faith in youth

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 02/04/2019 11:16:13    2177213

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "It's a promising future for Leitrim, once some of the older players past their best retire and free up spaces for the young lads coming through the excellent underage systems in place. And excellent experienced coaches at that level too mean we are in safe hands. I agree with tashy, and have said it before, Brendan Gurkanian should be applauded for putting faith in youth"
Not surprised you'd agree with tashy considering your the same person! How are eslin gonna do this year?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 02/04/2019 11:35:08    2177220

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Not surprised you'd agree with tashy considering your the same person! How are eslin gonna do this year?"
Eslin have a five year plan in place to win the senior championship. Some might say that is ambitious but I think it is good to aim high.
I am not affiliated with tashy in any way just to clarify.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 02/04/2019 11:55:45    2177228

Link

Unearthing these players, they were all the best players in their club. Unearthing sounds like he sculpted them, this Benny did not. As for praising the underage structures, 2 recent minor teams being the exception, the team that won the minor league and the team the year after, the rest have produced nothing except for the occasional player. There are very few who weren't in Croke Park on the panel good enough to make a difference.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 862 - 02/04/2019 14:46:10    2177291

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Unearthing these players, they were all the best players in their club. Unearthing sounds like he sculpted them, this Benny did not. As for praising the underage structures, 2 recent minor teams being the exception, the team that won the minor league and the team the year after, the rest have produced nothing except for the occasional player. There are very few who weren't in Croke Park on the panel good enough to make a difference."
I disagree fundamentally- I would say that if he didn't call them up they would not have benefitted from being in a professional outfit under his stewardship and guidance and ye are seeing the benefits of that now when they are maturing. It was like he planted the seed of the apple and terry is picking the apples.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 02/04/2019 14:53:57    2177293

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "It was great to be at Croke Park today sitting amongst all you jolly Leitrim fans. The game itself was a good clean game with some great scores. Leitrim can be proud of themselves today. Fortunately for Derry Leitrim hit those 8 wides in the first half or it could have been a different story. However, I look forward to meeting youse again in the league next year. By the way had good banter with the lovely Leitrim blonde in section 329 of the Hoganstand."
Glad you acknowledged the impact of our dreadful shooting .If half of the first half wides had gone over we would have led comfortably at half time . The outcome might have been different as I'm sure the players themselves will know especially when they view the video.Put bluntly we could & should have won this game.As for the strange decision to drop McKiernan & Rooney - especially to play McCrann who as other posters pointed out played in two meaningless games did not add much to the overall team performance. In McCranns case he did no better than McKiernan would have done- but he's young enough & he needs to hang in there and take Saturdays disappointment in the chin. Fortunately Rooney got a run but should have come in earlier and nearly got us a goal in the closing stages. Jack Heslin made an immediate impact and he to should come on earlier than ten minutes from the end .McKiernan should start against Roscommon as should Jack, Rooney & Conor Cullen.Overall it was an outstanding performance by a team of emerging talent and and one that made every Leitrim person proud of where Terry & the team have brought us in such a short time. Delighted to read that he is not intimidated by Roscommon-anybody who witnessed what we did in Croke Park shouldn't be either.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 67 - 02/04/2019 21:48:39    2177386

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Glad you acknowledged the impact of our dreadful shooting .If half of the first half wides had gone over we would have led comfortably at half time . The outcome might have been different as I'm sure the players themselves will know especially when they view the video.Put bluntly we could & should have won this game.As for the strange decision to drop McKiernan & Rooney - especially to play McCrann who as other posters pointed out played in two meaningless games did not add much to the overall team performance. In McCranns case he did no better than McKiernan would have done- but he's young enough & he needs to hang in there and take Saturdays disappointment in the chin. Fortunately Rooney got a run but should have come in earlier and nearly got us a goal in the closing stages. Jack Heslin made an immediate impact and he to should come on earlier than ten minutes from the end .McKiernan should start against Roscommon as should Jack, Rooney & Conor Cullen.Overall it was an outstanding performance by a team of emerging talent and and one that made every Leitrim person proud of where Terry & the team have brought us in such a short time. Delighted to read that he is not intimidated by Roscommon-anybody who witnessed what we did in Croke Park shouldn't be either."
Leitrim were the better side for most of the first half but kicked a load of wides whereas Derry were impressively efficient. If you play like that against the Rossies and just sllghtly adjust the shot selection (most of the wides were not by much), there is no reason you can't beat them. Roscommon are a well decent team, but they are beatable - if we were playing them we wouldn't be cocky but would well fancy our chances. It was a pleasure meeting the Leitrim fans on Saturday and you have a well-decent young team to be proud of - go beat the supposed 'big teams'!

doiregael2 (Derry) - Posts: 334 - 04/04/2019 01:00:45    2177613

Link

Replying To doiregael2:  "Leitrim were the better side for most of the first half but kicked a load of wides whereas Derry were impressively efficient. If you play like that against the Rossies and just sllghtly adjust the shot selection (most of the wides were not by much), there is no reason you can't beat them. Roscommon are a well decent team, but they are beatable - if we were playing them we wouldn't be cocky but would well fancy our chances. It was a pleasure meeting the Leitrim fans on Saturday and you have a well-decent young team to be proud of - go beat the supposed 'big teams'!"
Thank you and best of luck to Derry in the championship.

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 368 - 04/04/2019 11:14:17    2177646

Link

Derry were the better team no doubt about it, good luck to them in the championship, I'd like to see them do well. They seemed to have an extra gear whenever they needed to the get a few scores. I was impresssed by their midfielder No. 8 Cassidy. I like a workhorse type player who grafts around the middle and he was one of those. Their inside line was dangerous everytime they got the ball and Leitrim played a bit of a blanket defence against them which did limit the damage. We needed twice the play to get a score. I would say our lads are young and have a lot to learn yet. We are making progress. Derry would have beat us by 20 points 2 years ago.
Things we learned from the final.
Gary Plunkett should have got a game. That wasn't fair. He saved us in Limerick.
Ditto Diarmuid McKiernan. He can't be happy. He just has to bide his time anyway.
Jack Heslin should have been on sooner.
Mulligan sadly hadn't the pace for the open spaces of Croker and time waits for no man.
Rooney has to be found a place and stop playing and dropping him.
We need more accuracy with frees. Too many missed in the league. Scoring 1 and missing 2 is not good enough.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 04/04/2019 12:45:45    2177669

Link

Replying To Ludovic_Giuly:  "Derry were the better team no doubt about it, good luck to them in the championship, I'd like to see them do well. They seemed to have an extra gear whenever they needed to the get a few scores. I was impresssed by their midfielder No. 8 Cassidy. I like a workhorse type player who grafts around the middle and he was one of those. Their inside line was dangerous everytime they got the ball and Leitrim played a bit of a blanket defence against them which did limit the damage. We needed twice the play to get a score. I would say our lads are young and have a lot to learn yet. We are making progress. Derry would have beat us by 20 points 2 years ago.
Things we learned from the final.
Gary Plunkett should have got a game. That wasn't fair. He saved us in Limerick.
Ditto Diarmuid McKiernan. He can't be happy. He just has to bide his time anyway.
Jack Heslin should have been on sooner.
Mulligan sadly hadn't the pace for the open spaces of Croker and time waits for no man.
Rooney has to be found a place and stop playing and dropping him.
We need more accuracy with frees. Too many missed in the league. Scoring 1 and missing 2 is not good enough."
I mentioned a few of the points you have made above earlier in the thread and was criticised for same. I just wonder why some players seem to get preferential treatment in some counties. I know it happens in most counties and clubs- one player with ye in particular always seems to be in the limelight and seems to revel in it and this player has not played a major role in the team at all- seems v bizarre that would be occuring. I am sure there are plenty of other lads well capable of talking to the media, do interviews etc but it always seems the same ones end up doing them???

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 04/04/2019 14:14:04    2177691

Link

Replying To tashy:  "I mentioned a few of the points you have made above earlier in the thread and was criticised for same. I just wonder why some players seem to get preferential treatment in some counties. I know it happens in most counties and clubs- one player with ye in particular always seems to be in the limelight and seems to revel in it and this player has not played a major role in the team at all- seems v bizarre that would be occuring. I am sure there are plenty of other lads well capable of talking to the media, do interviews etc but it always seems the same ones end up doing them???"
I don't know Tashy. Its bizarre allright. I wouldn't mind the interviews. Let him blather away.
You should be judged on how your performed during the league in pressure games.
My own club would be notorious for the same craic.
It just leads to young players of the future walking away.
You would think at county level that sort of thing wouldn't happen.

Reminds me of a company I worked in once. Everone was to get a payrise between 1-5%.
All the managers friends got 5% and the ones who burst themselves doing overtime all got 4%.
The 1% wasn't much to crib about but it was the principle of the whole thing.

Ludovic_Giuly (Leitrim) - Posts: 107 - 04/04/2019 16:43:52    2177724

Link

Replying To tashy:  "I mentioned a few of the points you have made above earlier in the thread and was criticised for same. I just wonder why some players seem to get preferential treatment in some counties. I know it happens in most counties and clubs- one player with ye in particular always seems to be in the limelight and seems to revel in it and this player has not played a major role in the team at all- seems v bizarre that would be occuring. I am sure there are plenty of other lads well capable of talking to the media, do interviews etc but it always seems the same ones end up doing them???"
Who talks to the media in Roscommon? Who gets preferential treatment? I'm sure your players are queing up for the opportunity to be interviewed by the infamous Willie Hegerty.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 124 - 05/04/2019 08:19:31    2177776

Link

Replying To Buzzcagney62:  "Who talks to the media in Roscommon? Who gets preferential treatment? I'm sure your players are queing up for the opportunity to be interviewed by the infamous Willie Hegerty."
I am not talking about the local media- there are several other media outlets as I am sure you know. I noticed one particular player seemed to be popping up all over the place doing interviews and I for one do not listen to local media outlets- I am talking about other media outlets which I will not name here. Everyone here knows who I am referring to and if you want to try and turn it back on me I would ask the question as to why you would do that????

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 05/04/2019 10:24:04    2177794

Link