Leitrim Forum

Division 4 - National League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The team I would pick to play Derry this weekend is below. Most of these lads haven't seen much game time in the league and they have contributed just as much as the lads that have played all the games. I have no doubt they have push the starting team all the way in training. Time to give these boys game time and see what they are Made of it and see can any of them put there hand up to stake a claim for Croke park. Against waterford next week then I'd go with the starting team for the final.

McCrann
C. Renoylds
F. McTeigue
Madden
N McWeeney
Renoylds
J Rooney
C. Cullen
S. Flanagan
Ward
Mulligan
McGloin
McCauley
D McGovern (needs game time)
D Rooney (needs game time)

Possibly Heslin if fit although maybe give him an extra week and get game time against waterford. Shows you the the dept in this panel this year.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 150 - 11/03/2019 15:27:31    2171669

Link

Replying To Champotime18:  "The team I would pick to play Derry this weekend is below. Most of these lads haven't seen much game time in the league and they have contributed just as much as the lads that have played all the games. I have no doubt they have push the starting team all the way in training. Time to give these boys game time and see what they are Made of it and see can any of them put there hand up to stake a claim for Croke park. Against waterford next week then I'd go with the starting team for the final.

McCrann
C. Renoylds
F. McTeigue
Madden
N McWeeney
Renoylds
J Rooney
C. Cullen
S. Flanagan
Ward
Mulligan
McGloin
McCauley
D McGovern (needs game time)
D Rooney (needs game time)

Possibly Heslin if fit although maybe give him an extra week and get game time against waterford. Shows you the the dept in this panel this year."
I'm sure Hyland is aware of giving everyone game time. However I think too many new faces at this stage especially against Derry may result in an almighty battering which wouldn't do morale any good especially with Croker game around the corner.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 115 - 11/03/2019 17:14:21    2171690

Link

I know I am jumping ahead to the final here but I just want to get people's opinion here about Emlyn playing for the final and in particular kicking frees for the final.

We had a woeful time with O'rourke and Flynn taking the frees in the London game, I'm not sure of the exact number but I would hazard a guess at at least 7 frees kicked wide from scorable positions. Now these two boys have had fine league campaigns and we wouldn't be where we are without them for sure, but did the pressure and occasion get to them on that day? Flynn doesnt kick frees for mohill as far as i know and i would back o'rourke from play all day long over him kicking a place ball. Would the pressure of a final in croker get to them?

Missing scorable frees could be the winning and losing of the final. Emlyn should get some game time now and if he starts knocking them over like we all know he can its big food for thought. Certainly we cannot afford a repeat of the london game. Whilst it would be tough, and may go down sour in some quarters, in my opinion Emlyn should start and be the free taker on final day.

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 429 - 11/03/2019 20:53:24    2171734

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "I know I am jumping ahead to the final here but I just want to get people's opinion here about Emlyn playing for the final and in particular kicking frees for the final.

We had a woeful time with O'rourke and Flynn taking the frees in the London game, I'm not sure of the exact number but I would hazard a guess at at least 7 frees kicked wide from scorable positions. Now these two boys have had fine league campaigns and we wouldn't be where we are without them for sure, but did the pressure and occasion get to them on that day? Flynn doesnt kick frees for mohill as far as i know and i would back o'rourke from play all day long over him kicking a place ball. Would the pressure of a final in croker get to them?

Missing scorable frees could be the winning and losing of the final. Emlyn should get some game time now and if he starts knocking them over like we all know he can its big food for thought. Certainly we cannot afford a repeat of the london game. Whilst it would be tough, and may go down sour in some quarters, in my opinion Emlyn should start and be the free taker on final day."
Mulligan should not start the final, maybe bring him on in the last ten minutes if we are well ahead, so he'll get his day out in Croke Park.

When have you last seen him knocking over frees? Three or four years ago?

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 11/03/2019 22:23:55    2171758

Link

Replying To leitrim4sam:  "I know I am jumping ahead to the final here but I just want to get people's opinion here about Emlyn playing for the final and in particular kicking frees for the final.

Missing scorable frees could be the winning and losing of the final. Emlyn should get some game time now and if he starts knocking them over like we all know he can its big food for thought. Certainly we cannot afford a repeat of the london game. Whilst it would be tough, and may go down sour in some quarters, in my opinion Emlyn should start and be the free taker on final day."
Strong case for Emlyn starting. I assume his late appearances so far is to get him up to match fitness.However There needs to be a game plan around him. He has been our go to man for years as we had few other options, His vision ,distribution and free taking should be utilized to the fullest. His presence in the half forward line in the remaining three games would be a tremendous asset. Also agree with all who think Terry should not make wholesale changes. We need to maintain the momentum and try to win all remaining games so the starting 15 in the League to date should be the policy and bring on the bench when needed or we are in a commanding position. Remember Roscommon awaits and we need to keep the winning mentality. Terry has used most of his bench with some exceptions and they will get their chance in the coming games but let's not gamble- if it ain't broke don't fix it! One game at a time,don't hold back against Derry then onto Waterford game and then win Divisional Final. Derry- like Leitrim can only play who they have used so far in the League - there won't be surprises.Terry and his Backroom team will have done their homework on them . Next Saturday should be seen as a test for Leitrim against a traditionally strong County.

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 11/03/2019 22:27:45    2171760

Link

Replying To leitrimabu1:  "Strong case for Emlyn starting. I assume his late appearances so far is to get him up to match fitness.However There needs to be a game plan around him. He has been our go to man for years as we had few other options, His vision ,distribution and free taking should be utilized to the fullest. His presence in the half forward line in the remaining three games would be a tremendous asset. Also agree with all who think Terry should not make wholesale changes. We need to maintain the momentum and try to win all remaining games so the starting 15 in the League to date should be the policy and bring on the bench when needed or we are in a commanding position. Remember Roscommon awaits and we need to keep the winning mentality. Terry has used most of his bench with some exceptions and they will get their chance in the coming games but let's not gamble- if it ain't broke don't fix it! One game at a time,don't hold back against Derry then onto Waterford game and then win Divisional Final. Derry- like Leitrim can only play who they have used so far in the League - there won't be surprises.Terry and his Backroom team will have done their homework on them . Next Saturday should be seen as a test for Leitrim against a traditionally strong County."
I'm completely baffled as to why there's people batting for a player who hasn't been on form for years to take the place of some of the young lads who have got the team to a league final. There's absolutely no logic to it. There's no justification for it. And I think Terry Hyland can see through the smoke and mirrors and hype and he has picked his best team consistently through the league and that should continue

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 12/03/2019 08:37:49    2171792

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "I'm completely baffled as to why there's people batting for a player who hasn't been on form for years to take the place of some of the young lads who have got the team to a league final. There's absolutely no logic to it. There's no justification for it. And I think Terry Hyland can see through the smoke and mirrors and hype and he has picked his best team consistently through the league and that should continue"
I'm baffled as to why everyone one of your posts seem to be about Emyln Mulligan.

Looking back at the last two games we didn't play overly well. Perhaps nerves were a factor. Especially in the forward line. I'm sure Terry and Co are well able to make their own minds up anyway.

Hudhastings (Leitrim) - Posts: 87 - 12/03/2019 10:20:22    2171807

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "I'm completely baffled as to why there's people batting for a player who hasn't been on form for years to take the place of some of the young lads who have got the team to a league final. There's absolutely no logic to it. There's no justification for it. And I think Terry Hyland can see through the smoke and mirrors and hype and he has picked his best team consistently through the league and that should continue"
If that is the case why did Terry bring on Mulligan in the last two games (if only for 10 minutes)!

1969LEITRIM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 12/03/2019 11:04:09    2171821

Link

Replying To Hudhastings:  "I'm baffled as to why everyone one of your posts seem to be about Emyln Mulligan.

Looking back at the last two games we didn't play overly well. Perhaps nerves were a factor. Especially in the forward line. I'm sure Terry and Co are well able to make their own minds up anyway."
Looking in from outside there seems to be a complete pre occupation with Mulligan. Don't know why though. We never rated him to be honest really. Good player but certainly never caused us any undue headaches now. I am sure Terry Hyland is around long enough to know not to change a winning team to get in one player. I read something last week that Liverpool's fans were losing their nerve- are ye doing the same?? Ye have wracked up huge scores without Mulligan, in fact much higher than when he was playing with ye ever. Why is that do ye think lads?? Genuine question now......is it because everything seems to go through him?? I genuinely do not think he has the pace for inter county football and in Croke Park he would be found wanting very quickly- believe me I know that from experience watching our lads last year!!

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 12/03/2019 11:20:09    2171830

Link

Replying To tashy:  "Looking in from outside there seems to be a complete pre occupation with Mulligan. Don't know why though. We never rated him to be honest really. Good player but certainly never caused us any undue headaches now. I am sure Terry Hyland is around long enough to know not to change a winning team to get in one player. I read something last week that Liverpool's fans were losing their nerve- are ye doing the same?? Ye have wracked up huge scores without Mulligan, in fact much higher than when he was playing with ye ever. Why is that do ye think lads?? Genuine question now......is it because everything seems to go through him?? I genuinely do not think he has the pace for inter county football and in Croke Park he would be found wanting very quickly- believe me I know that from experience watching our lads last year!!"
I honestly don't know what their obsession is. Was at the London game and they were calling for him to be brought on after 10 mins. I saw him in a club championship game last year and he didn't have the pace or fight for that, so he definitely doesn't have the pace for Croke Park's big open spaces. Stick with the lads that got us there and bring him on in the last few minutes as a cool head maybe. The media is also obsessed with him and hopefully will concentrate on him rather than the other players in the build-up. He loves the attention after all.

TaytoFoley (Leitrim) - Posts: 45 - 12/03/2019 11:55:37    2171837

Link

Replying To 1969LEITRIM:  "If that is the case why did Terry bring on Mulligan in the last two games (if only for 10 minutes)!"
My point exactly. Terry sees him as a steady the ship with ten mins to go type player. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at his age. I never denied he'd be a great sub to come on when the game is almost finished. But to start him in a final would send a wrong message to the younger players in my opinion.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 12/03/2019 11:57:42    2171839

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "My point exactly. Terry sees him as a steady the ship with ten mins to go type player. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at his age. I never denied he'd be a great sub to come on when the game is almost finished. But to start him in a final would send a wrong message to the younger players in my opinion."
I would agree with that- you need youth and vibrancy on the field for the duration of the game- you cannot start picking teams on sentiment. None of the good teams do that

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 12/03/2019 13:52:35    2171857

Link

Replying To TaytoFoley:  "I honestly don't know what their obsession is. Was at the London game and they were calling for him to be brought on after 10 mins. I saw him in a club championship game last year and he didn't have the pace or fight for that, so he definitely doesn't have the pace for Croke Park's big open spaces. Stick with the lads that got us there and bring him on in the last few minutes as a cool head maybe. The media is also obsessed with him and hopefully will concentrate on him rather than the other players in the build-up. He loves the attention after all."
Leitrim forwards scored 4 points from play against London, would you not think they could do with some help from a quality forward at some stage, not with 10 minutes to go?

1969LEITRIM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 12/03/2019 14:34:04    2171869

Link

Replying To 1969LEITRIM:  "Leitrim forwards scored 4 points from play against London, would you not think they could do with some help from a quality forward at some stage, not with 10 minutes to go?"
they scored huge amounts against Wexford, Wicklow, Antrim, Limerick etc- surely one off day (in what were atrocious conditions) hardly merits a major change?? I don't know as I said why there is such a clamour for Mulligan as I think ye have much better forwards than him there. Only my opinion but one player is never bigger than a team- ask Bernard Brogan, Maurice Fitzgerald. Not that I am putting Mulligan in their company (wishful thinking on everyone's part) but it proves that no matter who you are the betterment of the team comes first. I have been at a few of your games this year and I must say I was mightily impressed with the forward line movement and workrate and I genuinely feel that Mulligan is incapable of that movement or workrate and definitely not in Croke Park.

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 12/03/2019 14:40:13    2171872

Link

Replying To 1969LEITRIM:  "Leitrim forwards scored 4 points from play against London, would you not think they could do with some help from a quality forward at some stage, not with 10 minutes to go?"
Oh I agree completely with that. We just don't have it unfortunately.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 136 - 12/03/2019 14:46:11    2171874

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "Oh I agree completely with that. We just don't have it unfortunately."
yea it is a shame that Keith Beirne is unavailable to ye this year. Like everyone else I heard the rumours but I certainly think ye could have done with someone decent off the bench who has played under pressure situations before, ie in county finals recently etc. But ye have to do with what ye have I suppose. i really hope ye win

tashy (Roscommon) - Posts: 94 - 12/03/2019 14:54:29    2171875

Link

I think we should go with a mix this weekend while trying out a few things aswell.

Cathal McCrann
Conor Reynolds Michael McWeeney Aidan Flynn
Oisin Madden Gary Reynolds James Rooney
Dean McGovern
Conor Cullen
Sean Flanagan Mark Plunkett Cillian McGloin
Emlyn Mulligan Gary Plunkett Darragh Rooney

The most obvious thing about this team is that Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Ray Mulvey and Ryan O'Rourke are all rested. I think this is the sensible approach. I would have rested Mark Plunkett aswell but I think he should be tested at 11 to give us more options.

Firstly, there's no point in having McCrann there if we aren't going to test him. Reports are that his Kickouts are still brilliant.

In the full back line it's said Fergal McTague is doing all the training he can but is being protected from himself a small bit but should be in line for the Waterford game. We don't want to concede to much so I'd just bring in Reynolds here who played very well in the 2nd half against Mayo before injuring his Hamstring in the same challenge game as McTague.

In the Half Back line as strange as it may seem to say this is an untested line this year. All three of them have huge experience. Going forward if he can shrug off his injuries I think Madden with his pace will be in contention to start. It's just a must that Gary Reynolds starts. We need to see if he is fast/fit enough to release Mark Plunkett back to centre Forward as it could transform the whole team. Would be huge for the team going Forward if Reynold was good enough. James Rooney is more than capable of holding his own.

Dean McGovern should be given a run here to improve his fitness and Conor Cullen has been our only sub to have not been used but a game in Derry should show where he is at.

Not sure if Flanagan is fit and it's said that with his injury it is doubtful that he will be but he's something different to all our other players and it'd be interesting to see the impact he could make. Mark Plunkett, as most here will agree is at his best in the half forward line so deserves the chance to shine here. Probably a risk not resting him but I think everyone would like to see the difference he'd make at 11 and can also help the midfield. Same goes for McGloin, I think in the next few years he is going to be one of Leitrim main players. He just needs a good S&C plan and experience.

Gary Plunkett was our best most effective starting forward the last day and looks like a player who needs a run of games to get into his grove. Same goes for Darragh Rooney. Emlyn doesn't need any introductions but does need to show he's still up to this level which I think he is. He will be a good foil for Rooney and Gary Plunkett aswell.

If Jack is fit I wouldn't risk him just yet. Think he will be one of our most important players in Croker.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 139 - 12/03/2019 14:57:02    2171876

Link

Replying To tashy:  "they scored huge amounts against Wexford, Wicklow, Antrim, Limerick etc- surely one off day (in what were atrocious conditions) hardly merits a major change?? I don't know as I said why there is such a clamour for Mulligan as I think ye have much better forwards than him there. Only my opinion but one player is never bigger than a team- ask Bernard Brogan, Maurice Fitzgerald. Not that I am putting Mulligan in their company (wishful thinking on everyone's part) but it proves that no matter who you are the betterment of the team comes first. I have been at a few of your games this year and I must say I was mightily impressed with the forward line movement and workrate and I genuinely feel that Mulligan is incapable of that movement or workrate and definitely not in Croke Park."
If you disregard the Wexford match who London beat by 9pts they scored 14 pts against Antrim and 12 against LImerick not exactly huge in my humble opinion!

1969LEITRIM (Leitrim) - Posts: 6 - 12/03/2019 15:06:01    2171878

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "I think we should go with a mix this weekend while trying out a few things aswell.

Cathal McCrann
Dean McGovern
Conor Cullen

The most obvious thing about this team is that Paddy Maguire, Shane Quinn, Ray Mulvey and Ryan O'Rourke are all rested. I think this is the sensible approach. I would have rested Mark Plunkett aswell but I think he should be tested at 11 to give us more options.

Firstly, there's no point in having McCrann there if we aren't going to test him. Reports are that his Kickouts are still brilliant.

In the full back line it's said Fergal McTague is doing all the training he can but is being protected from himself a small bit but should be in line for the Waterford game. We don't want to concede to much so I'd just bring in Reynolds here who played very well in the 2nd half against Mayo before injuring his Hamstring in the same challenge game as McTague.

In the Half Back line as strange as it may seem to say this is an untested line this year. All three of them have huge experience. Going forward if he can shrug off his injuries I think Madden with his pace will be in contention to start. It's just a must that Gary Reynolds starts. We need to see if he is fast/fit enough to release Mark Plunkett back to centre Forward as it could transform the whole team. Would be huge for the team going Forward if Reynold was good enough. James Rooney is more than capable of holding his own.

Dean McGovern should be given a run here to improve his fitness and Conor Cullen has been our only sub to have not been used but a game in Derry should show where he is at.

Not sure if Flanagan is fit and it's said that with his injury it is doubtful that he will be but he's something different to all our other players and it'd be interesting to see the impact he could make. Mark Plunkett, as most here will agree is at his best in the half forward line so deserves the chance to shine here. Probably a risk not resting him but I think everyone would like to see the difference he'd make at 11 and can also help the midfield. Same goes for McGloin, I think in the next few years he is going to be one of Leitrim main players. He just needs a good S&C plan and experience.

Gary Plunkett was our best most effective starting forward the last day and looks like a player who needs a run of games to get into his grove. Same goes for Darragh Rooney. Emlyn doesn't need any introductions but does need to show he's still up to this level which I think he is. He will be a good foil for Rooney and Gary Plunkett aswell.

If Jack is fit I wouldn't risk him just yet. Think he will be one of our most important players in Croker."
I want to see Mark Plunkett at centre half forward to but I don't think Terry will use him here as it might distract him from his role at 6 as we really don't have a better option there unless Gary Reynolds can surprise us. Think he would give us an extra option for kick outs and his foot passing and long range shooting are brilliant so would leave more space for O'Rourke etc inside.

Would love to see M.Plunkett, Heslin, Rooney, O'Rourke and Gary Plunkett in one forward unit but can't see it happening this year. Would still leave one position free for a sweeper to…..

Don't think Conor Cullen is physically strong enough for midfield but might be worth a try at wing forward. Dean McGovern will really need to impress over the next few games to gain a starting place for the Final. Is Noel Plunkett back fit he would give another option in any of the 6 defensive positions and Oisin McCaffery from Ballinamore is still on the panel and is a huge man so he might see a few minutes off the bench at full back.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 64 - 12/03/2019 15:30:30    2171883

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "I think we should go with a mix this weekend while trying out a few things aswell.

Cathal McCrann
Dean McGovern
Conor Cullen

If Jack is fit I wouldn't risk him just yet. Think he will be one of our most important players in Croker."
Agree with most of that onthebank, starting a different team to what's been are usual 15 for the majority of the league might leave terry with abit of a headache for the final if things go well in our remaining two games. From what I heard with challenge games before the league and off course the League games themselves the starting team terry choose for them games have not changed a whole lot so we have really an ideal scenario to try and find out our best 15.
The team I would start against Derry would go like this
1)mc crann
2) mc tague
3) mcweeney
4) a.flynn
5) r. Mulvey
6) g.reynlods
7) mc gloin
8)mc govern
9) p.dolan
10) s.quinn
11) mulligan
12) d. Flynn
13)Cullen
14) rooney
15) g. Plunkett

We know terry likes to play with a permanent sweeper so I feel have Shane Quinn drop back could add abit of variety to the roll , he played the roll extremely well last year in the championship in my opinion so it could be another option to utilize him. Mc crann needs to be put in the goals to put the pressure on mc kiernan . If fit I think a start for mc tague will be ideal to get him back to match fitness . I'd start Gary Reynolds's at centre back to see what the difference is to Plunkett and see how they match up with the system we play, Reynolds's has also played number 6 for years for Leitrim so he will be comfortable there. Mc gloin started wing back against mayo and him an Ray mulvey pace for off the shoulder running could add to are attacks. I'd have Cullen drop out to wing forward and then we would have 4 big targets for kickouts across the middle with Flynn ,mc govern ,Dolan ,and Cullen. Mulligan to play as the link player at Centre forward , I feel he has a lot more to offer Leitrim football and his knowledge and kicking ability is still at a very high standard according to some of the players . Rooney and Plunkett haven't seen a whole pile of game time but on there day can be very very dangerous, Rooney form is a concern but I think he needs a full 70 min to get him back into his stride.
Id rest Shane moran ,j heslin ,o rourke ,s mc weeney ,p maguire ,d mc kiernan ,m Plunkett ,e Sweeney and filter some of them in in the second half along with some more of our subs who have not seen game time.
It's actually such a lift to see such a good panel of players with know real passengers and us in such a good position.

hurricane567 (Leitrim) - Posts: 34 - 12/03/2019 15:57:56    2171886

Link