Westmeath Forum

Senior & U17 Football Finals

(Oldest Posts First)

So the countdown is on to the biggest day on Westmeath's football calendar.
In the U17, it's a repeat of last year's U16 Final between The Downs and Kinnegad.
Tight one to call. The Downs have already won the U18 final and reached the semi of the U16.
Kinnegad had an impressive win over a strong Loman's in the semi so anyone's game.
I beleive it's a young Kinnegad team so I give The Downs the nod.

Interesting senior final in store. All pressue on Loman's as favourites etc and nothing expected of Shamrocks.
However that has been the case all along and Shamrocks keep proving so many of us wrong.
For me it's their tigerish and pacy defence that has got them this far and could get them across the line.
They have tightened up as the season went on and Fagan at midfield is flying.
Despite the lads that are missing, Loman's still have top class performers and will be favourites.
I just think that if Shamrocks keep their discipline and no silly cards then they could do the business.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 589 - 16/10/2018 16:03:07    2146821

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "So the countdown is on to the biggest day on Westmeath's football calendar.
In the U17, it's a repeat of last year's U16 Final between The Downs and Kinnegad.
Tight one to call. The Downs have already won the U18 final and reached the semi of the U16.
Kinnegad had an impressive win over a strong Loman's in the semi so anyone's game.

Interesting senior final in store. All pressue on Loman's as favourites etc and nothing expected of Shamrocks.
However that has been the case all along and Shamrocks keep proving so many of us wrong.
For me it's their tigerish and pacy defence that has got them this far and could get them across the line.
Despite the lads that are missing, Loman's still have top class performers and will be favourites.
I just think that if Shamrocks keep their discipline and no silly cards then they could do the business."
Few quid on a draw......

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 752 - 16/10/2018 17:14:08    2146835

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "So the countdown is on to the biggest day on Westmeath's football calendar.

I just think that if Shamrocks keep their discipline and no silly cards then they could do the business."
Re U17 County Final, saw nothing in papers so far about this game on Sunday, which is disappointing. Re who might win, Kinnegad had better of 2 semi-finals with The Downs struggling to overcome Killucan. This along with senior game should be entertaining matches.

Convert1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 4 - 17/10/2018 09:44:18    2146924

Link

I see Paul Sharry was listed among the subs the last day. Will they be flying him home for Sunday?

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 81 - 17/10/2018 14:46:42    2146981

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "I see Paul Sharry was listed among the subs the last day. Will they be flying him home for Sunday?"
He came on as a sub. Fly him home from where? It's Dempsey that went to UAE and missed the semi. I'm sure he will be home this weekend though.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 226 - 17/10/2018 15:31:48    2146988

Link

Shamrocks lack of discipline and key players picking up cards is one of the reasons that Luke will not be too worried.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 436 - 17/10/2018 19:24:12    2147010

Link

Seem to remember a couple of Lomans players seeing red when the chips were down against Tpass. Lomans would have preferred any other team in the final rather than Shamrock....that's a fact.

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 18/10/2018 08:12:09    2147060

Link

Super senior football final, probably best final in last 20 years. Shamrocks better team, led for almost entire match. Corroon, fagan, Donal o d, mick Curley were awesome.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 34 - 21/10/2018 20:25:08    2147522

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Super senior football final, probably best final in last 20 years. Shamrocks better team, led for almost entire match. Corroon, fagan, Donal o d, mick Curley were awesome."
Agreed. It was a great game. No overly defensive stuff. Just 2 teams going at it. Enjoyed every minute of it.

JoeytheLips (None) - Posts: 43 - 21/10/2018 21:30:54    2147542

Link

Great game. Shamrocks improved game by game and never feared Lomans. Heslins free taking was top class and kept Lomans in it. Bringing players back from abroad was always a dodgy policy. Sherry was way off the pace and Dempsey didn't do much either. Expect some Lomans players to retire after that game.

Baldy1 (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 21/10/2018 21:48:08    2147548

Link

Good game today. The big crowd lent to the great occasion. Curley, Corroon and O Donoghue showed great fitness at the end to drive on for a victory. Efe came on and won some vital turnovers. Throughout the game the extra man meant shamrocks could get important turnovers.
Lomans visibly tired after playing with 14 for most of the game. Sharry and Heslin faded in the last 5 mins after having brilliant games. Dempsey lacked sharpness but Cox was excellent. Played with no fear.
Fagan's goal in the first half was a brilliant instinctive finish.
Fairplay to shamrocks after a slow start to the year they really got it together and battled all the way.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 14 - 21/10/2018 21:51:20    2147550

Link

Great for football in the county for a different winner. Shows every club it is winnable

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1548 - 21/10/2018 22:28:23    2147562

Link

Super game Donohoe and Corroon unbelievable. Shamrocks had the better bench. Team that kept 15 on the pitch for that length of time will always win out.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 436 - 22/10/2018 07:47:37    2147584

Link

Good to see Killucan win the U16 Championship
Beating St Lomans in final and The Downs in SF

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 339 - 30/10/2018 15:56:51    2148747

Link