Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The pain of Saturday is still pretty raw. Going to totally blank All Ireland final weekend now just couldn't take watching either of them win. It should come as no shock that we could have won despite not showing up. At different stages Kilkenny had 8 maybe 9 players on the field from the average U21 team that we beat easily 3 years ago. The reality is we choked this is a v average Kilkenny team and we should have put them to the sword. Huge mistakes were made. I'm not looking for a pound of flesh here simply saying that if history is not to repeat itself people need to accept responsibility for their blunders. Everyone I've spoken to all talk about the same 5 or 6 mistakes so no need to discuss them on here. Fact is we lost a game we should have won to a team who couldn't believe their luck. We are good enough to come back that's for sure. Let's hope we do.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 694 - 02/08/2019 15:26:19    2219802

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "The pain of Saturday is still pretty raw. Going to totally blank All Ireland final weekend now just couldn't take watching either of them win. It should come as no shock that we could have won despite not showing up. At different stages Kilkenny had 8 maybe 9 players on the field from the average U21 team that we beat easily 3 years ago. The reality is we choked this is a v average Kilkenny team and we should have put them to the sword. Huge mistakes were made. I'm not looking for a pound of flesh here simply saying that if history is not to repeat itself people need to accept responsibility for their blunders. Everyone I've spoken to all talk about the same 5 or 6 mistakes so no need to discuss them on here. Fact is we lost a game we should have won to a team who couldn't believe their luck. We are good enough to come back that's for sure. Let's hope we do."
The only thing worth adding to that analysis of kk is the "7/8 average u21s we beat easily 3 years ago " had the comfort blanket of a few old stagers with 3/4 Celtic crosses or at least several sf and final appearances.

We froze when it all started to go wrong and it was 2013 part 2. What was reassuring was pre halftime we had fixed it. We'd retrieved the situation. However we didn't then kick on. Needed to just draw level. Poor shot selection. It Happens. Everything went right in 18. Nothing went right on sat. The lads will have gained a lot from the fuuck up. Remember how Cody's kk had 2 failed all Ireland's before they broke thro.

Need to learn the lessons of the year. Cork tipp ( in thurles) and kk all unlocked our link up play. Need a plan b when it doesn't work.

Sugary_tae (Limerick) - Posts: 6 - 02/08/2019 16:26:45    2219821

Link

Replying To higgins:  "One of the few decisions I could not understand is why Brynes took the last long range free when Dowling was on the field, Dowling much more accurate with long range frees"
Have to agree with you 100% here. Dow is one of the best long range free takers in the country. I'd put him well ahead of Burns. He scored a huge one after coming on against Cork last year. I wonder what has changed since?? I was tearing my hair out at that time when I I saw Burns going over it

Seeking_silver (Limerick) - Posts: 179 - 02/08/2019 19:45:54    2219873

Link

Replying To Sugary_tae:  "The only thing worth adding to that analysis of kk is the "7/8 average u21s we beat easily 3 years ago " had the comfort blanket of a few old stagers with 3/4 Celtic crosses or at least several sf and final appearances.

We froze when it all started to go wrong and it was 2013 part 2. What was reassuring was pre halftime we had fixed it. We'd retrieved the situation. However we didn't then kick on. Needed to just draw level. Poor shot selection. It Happens. Everything went right in 18. Nothing went right on sat. The lads will have gained a lot from the fuuck up. Remember how Cody's kk had 2 failed all Ireland's before they broke thro.

Need to learn the lessons of the year. Cork tipp ( in thurles) and kk all unlocked our link up play. Need a plan b when it doesn't work."
Good post. Agree with all that you said. The experience of Hogan, Reid, Fennelly etc must have been invaluable.
The absence of a plan B when we hit a wall is obvious, hope management stick together and what they come up with interesting.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 594 - 02/08/2019 19:56:13    2219875

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Good post. Agree with all that you said. The experience of Hogan, Reid, Fennelly etc must have been invaluable.
The absence of a plan B when we hit a wall is obvious, hope management stick together and what they come up with interesting."
Should be no question about management sticking together , came within a cats whisker of getting to another final.
Why are we reading that limerick are hoping to hold on to J Kiely.
The experience of what happened in semi final could be the spur that could lead to multiple all Ireland wins as these players become more seasoned competitors.
All of this assuming they are kept together , kept focused and kept grounded.
As far as I can see John Kiely is the manager that can do this.

mickey24 (Limerick) - Posts: 3 - 03/08/2019 13:12:41    2220046

Link

Replying To mickey24:  "Should be no question about management sticking together , came within a cats whisker of getting to another final.
The experience of what happened in semi final could be the spur that could lead to multiple all Ireland wins as these players become more seasoned competitors.
As far as I can see John Kiely is the manager that can do this."
I'd say we have no idea what toll senior inter County management takes.. Most only last a few years. The likes of Davy Fitz and Cody are exceptional.
Look at Sheedy. Walked away after he won the all ireland, back after a 9yr break!!

Kiely shared last year about the box of anonymous hate mail he got in 2017..
Great when you're winning but thankless job when things not going you're way.

Its not like he's got lots of free time on his hands either, young family and secondary school principal..
All that said hope he stays on. Think it's essential for the development of what could be a Limerick team better than anything we've had since Mackey and Co.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 594 - 03/08/2019 14:35:29    2220078

Link

Replying To mickey24:  "Should be no question about management sticking together , came within a cats whisker of getting to another final.
As far as I can see John Kiely is the manager that can do this."
Agree completely , silly talk re " hoping to hold onto " John Kiley. He is th Moses if Limerick. We ( our county board) fell asleep and foot dragged on the job several years ago on renewing Dónal O'Grady. Water under the bridge but let's not be-labor the point and repeat the same stupidity. Give John Kiely and crew whatever he needs to re sign. Nobody does it better!

Come Ye Boys In Green .

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 03/08/2019 17:29:57    2220129

Link

Replying To PatOLogical:  "Agree completely , silly talk re " hoping to hold onto " John Kiley. He is th Moses if Limerick. We ( our county board) fell asleep and foot dragged on the job several years ago on renewing Dónal O'Grady. Water under the bridge but let's not be-labor the point and repeat the same stupidity. Give John Kiely and crew whatever he needs to re sign. Nobody does it better!

Come Ye Boys In Green ."
Like someone said earlier, it's whether Kiely himself wants the job for another while is the only barrier. He's given every ounce of energy so far I just hope he still wants the position with all the demands the job puts on him. It's important to keep as much of the backroom team as possible for continuity ideally with an additional fresh voice.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 109 - 03/08/2019 18:51:26    2220172

Link

Replying To Sugary_tae:  "The only thing worth adding to that analysis of kk is the "7/8 average u21s we beat easily 3 years ago " had the comfort blanket of a few old stagers with 3/4 Celtic crosses or at least several sf and final appearances.

Need to learn the lessons of the year. Cork tipp ( in thurles) and kk all unlocked our link up play. Need a plan b when it doesn't work."
The wides are something that will raise their head again. Theyve been an issue for years and were never tackled. Tonnes last year and tonnes this year. Until they get thought that wides suck the life out of teams they ll still lose games they should win. When was the last time Limerick kept wides to single figures.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 03/08/2019 22:14:51    2220310

Link

Rumours circulating tonight I just hope that's all they are.....

daveboy (Limerick) - Posts: 433 - 06/08/2019 01:19:10    2221410

Link

I agree John Kiely should be kept without hesitation.
Looking back on the Kilkenny game
where despite terrible wide's and so many players below par we still only lost by a point.
Looking back on the game Hannon should have been taking off after 20 minutes and Flanagan or Dowling should have been brought on full forward before or at half time as Casey and Mulcahy were not working out at all against the Kilkenny full back line.
John Kiely is the best thing that happened to Limerick hurling in years but his performance against Kilkenny like his team was below par

[email protected] (Limerick) - Posts: 23 - 08/08/2019 14:16:14    2222686

Link

Replying To [email protected]:  "I agree John Kiely should be kept without hesitation.
Looking back on the Kilkenny game
where despite terrible wide's and so many players below par we still only lost by a point.
Looking back on the game Hannon should have been taking off after 20 minutes and Flanagan or Dowling should have been brought on full forward before or at half time as Casey and Mulcahy were not working out at all against the Kilkenny full back line.
John Kiely is the best thing that happened to Limerick hurling in years but his performance against Kilkenny like his team was below par"
What supply of ball was Mulcahy getting and he got two points from play anyway, as well as working his butt off further out the field. He along with Will O'Donoghue was the last man I would have taken off.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 2341 - 08/08/2019 20:29:30    2222808

Link

Kevin o Donnell and peter Casey great games tonight for kilmallock & na p.

brud (Limerick) - Posts: 917 - 08/08/2019 22:23:14    2222863

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "What supply of ball was Mulcahy getting and he got two points from play anyway, as well as working his butt off further out the field. He along with Will O'Donoghue was the last man I would have taken off."
Agree 100%. thought WOD was doing fine, type of game suited him better than Lynch and Mulcahy worked like a demon, but was asked to do it out the field. Small margins lads............

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 214 - 09/08/2019 08:43:47    2222914

Link

Replying To brud:  "Kevin o Donnell and peter Casey great games tonight for kilmallock & na p."
Brud how did Kevin Downes, Ronan Lynch and the Dempseys do for Na Piarsaigh any chance they could play their way back into the Limerick panel.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 543 - 09/08/2019 15:48:52    2223087

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Brud how did Kevin Downes, Ronan Lynch and the Dempseys do for Na Piarsaigh any chance they could play their way back into the Limerick panel."
David Dempsey and Downes did ok, Lynch and Alan Dempsey didnt stand out. Boylan, O'Doneghue and both Caseys were exceptional. Very disappointing fare from Kilmallock, Oisin O'Reilly scored a good goal but must be very frustrating to manage / play with. O'Mahoney and O'Donnell did ok, otherwise none of the Kilmallock players turned up. Second year in for Brudair and Wall; having seen them against Doon and again this week, Kilmallock seem to be going backwards. They will definitely qualify but next week v the Well will be a serious test of character.

McFan88 (Limerick) - Posts: 371 - 10/08/2019 07:10:52    2223269

Link

Replying To McFan88:  "David Dempsey and Downes did ok, Lynch and Alan Dempsey didnt stand out. Boylan, O'Doneghue and both Caseys were exceptional. Very disappointing fare from Kilmallock, Oisin O'Reilly scored a good goal but must be very frustrating to manage / play with. O'Mahoney and O'Donnell did ok, otherwise none of the Kilmallock players turned up. Second year in for Brudair and Wall; having seen them against Doon and again this week, Kilmallock seem to be going backwards. They will definitely qualify but next week v the Well will be a serious test of character."
Thanks for that Mcfan

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 543 - 10/08/2019 14:44:03    2223383

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Thanks for that Mcfan"
There is about 8-10 minutes from the second half up on the Limerick GAA youtube. Not sure what happened to the rest, I thought they were supposed to be streaming whole match.

ancientrush (Limerick) - Posts: 22 - 13/08/2019 17:51:02    2225213

Link

Disappointed to hear of Joe O'Connors departure from the Limerick hurlers a talented and well respected s&c coach he will be a loss to the management team, but he gave 4 years to his county and I wish him and his family the best and I hope he will be involved with Limerick again in the future.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 543 - 15/08/2019 18:55:53    2226139

Link

Just saw the news there. Definitely a huge disappointment. credit where it was due, he gave absolutely everything to the cause. May not have the top prize this year but it was certainly nothing to do with the conditioning of players. Didn't realise he was commuting from Tralee. Huge commitment. Hopefully there won't be too many more departures to the current set up.

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 109 - 15/08/2019 21:21:20    2226177

Link