Limerick Forum

Official Limerick Senior Hurling 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To pj_mcmanus:  "All your posts over the last few pages have been having a go at Pat. Are you not doing exactly what you are accusing him of?"
Very true, Pat merely defended the selection of the team for last Sundays Munster Hurling Final, with justification.
He is obviously a passionate Limerick supporter.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 03/07/2019 19:35:55    2205089

Link

Pat's a Bully.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1176 - 03/07/2019 19:40:22    2205095

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "Very true, Pat merely defended the selection of the team for last Sundays Munster Hurling Final, with justification.
He is obviously a passionate Limerick supporter."
No. Pat doesn't 'merely defend selection' as a passionate supporter.

He attacks, insults and pontificates all in the same post.
Re team selection. There was a question mark over Peter Casey in the run up to Sunday, his form hadn't been great when starting.
It's legitimate to ask would he have been an better option off the bench. Thankfully Casey was fantastic and proved doubters wrong.

Everyones entitled to offer an opinion on this forum.
But that doesn't seem to click with him..
He hounded DF off this forum a few years ago.. Guys obnoxious in his comments sometimes.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 596 - 03/07/2019 20:20:47    2205111

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "Very true, Pat merely defended the selection of the team for last Sundays Munster Hurling Final, with justification.
He is obviously a passionate Limerick supporter."
Appreciate that a few posters recognize and got my point. Thank You.

I did respond to a few posters before Munster final who thought Peter Casey did not deserve to start or maybe did not deserve to be on the panel v Tipp. "Lost form from Last year" ...."Can't see it" (meaning Peter Casey being in the lineout). My response to these and a few others was "I will go JohnKiely's selection as he is with the team at least 3 or 4 days a week , not to mention that he is getting input from several other sets of eyes also at ground level . This seems to have been an affront to some who perhaps who don't like others to disagree.
Not too long ago some of these also could not understand why Declan Hannon, Dan Morrissey and Grame Mulcahy were getting one more chance. (Sorry if cause some to wince.)

JimBob50? did come back and say on here on Monday, that he misjudged Peter Casey. Fair Play!!

Some of the others who bashed me appeared to be touting my stance on the National forum the next day.
Strange world we live in. Maybe its all about getting an audience from the safety of anonymity that we all enjoy on here.

Wonderful time to be Limerick hurling supporter after listening to Micael O'Hehir on RTE (waaay back) tell us in graphic detail about "the barefoot Babs Keating " or Jimmy Doyle or Dinny John Daly send another point sailing, soaring over the bar and another nail in Limerick's coffin- heartbreak for a schoolboy.

Savor the moments and Thank You to the current crop of Boys in Green and men on the line.
Love also the hear the maturity and coolness coming from players and management.

Am left to wonder Given that we all

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 03/07/2019 21:59:40    2205170

Link

Replying To someday:  "You'd swear casey was a jnr hurler I hope to god you'll be squirming on here tomorrow night"
Pat

above is what I posted early morning of the match I wasn't on after Casey's magnificent display hounding those who criticised him yet you were, plus if I remember correctly you were fair critical of a certain defender not too long ago yourself so a little decorum wouldn't go astray

someday (Limerick) - Posts: 1075 - 03/07/2019 22:12:59    2205188

Link

Replying To blackspot91:  "Alot of people are talking up the threat of cork and for good reason to be fair, especially saying they should have beat us last year, but imo we've improved alot more that them since then. Were a young team on an upward graph but I feel like cork have pretty much had the same team at the same level for the last 3 or 4 years. They do have good underage coming through but I'd be confident this year. Limerick would definitely want to put that rivalry to bed too and prove they're the better team with the talk of them not suiting us and beating us this year and being lucky against them last year etc"
Yes they had a substantial lead in the last 10 mins but I think I have to point out in ordinary time cork were the ones that relied on a Patrick Horgan free to level up the game. In the end they were the ones trying in vain to claw back the lead. A lot of people think Cork should have one but they didn't have the panel to close out the game therefore they didn't deserve to win.
If they get through the Kilkenny match this year, it's an advantage that they will have got a game in Croker for the likes of young Niall O'Leary who has not experienced croke Park on a big match day. I do think their panel has improved this year especially with Alan Cadogan back in the fold. They're able to leave Lehane and Kingston on the bench. 2 lightning fast forwards. This time I would not want to be 6 points down with the clock running out.
Little did I think in the Gaelic grounds that the loss to Cork might be a good thing. There's nothing like a loss to refocus the minds. If we do end up playing Cork in the semi I'm sure they'll be met with much more intensity all over the park. Also we can't underestimate the influence of will O'Donoghue disrupting play. Cork wouldn't have faced that yet. He gives our half backs more of a defensive cover which would definitely help to deal with their forwards. If our boys could add goal scoring it would bury teams much earlier too

Mads (Limerick) - Posts: 112 - 03/07/2019 22:29:24    2205196

Link

Stand your ground Pat, you're a grand poster.

Can everyone try and be nice to each other and respect each others opinions and stop using Pat as something to kick.

70_laps (Limerick) - Posts: 26 - 03/07/2019 22:35:45    2205205

Link

Replying To 70_laps:  "Stand your ground Pat, you're a grand poster.

Can everyone try and be nice to each other and respect each others opinions and stop using Pat as something to kick."
By and large everyone is nice to each other.70 laps. The only poster who continuously attacks others and looks for confrontation is Pat. I say again if he is intolerant of the views of others then he should not be on a public forum the sole purpose of which is to air the views of others. There is a lot of BS posted on here and we can all be a little intolerant from time to time but no one is anywhere as near to being confrontational as Pat and I for one have grown weary of his never ending attacks on others.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 694 - 04/07/2019 07:28:00    2205267

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Yes they had a substantial lead in the last 10 mins but I think I have to point out in ordinary time cork were the ones that relied on a Patrick Horgan free to level up the game. In the end they were the ones trying in vain to claw back the lead. A lot of people think Cork should have one but they didn't have the panel to close out the game therefore they didn't deserve to win.
If they get through the Kilkenny match this year, it's an advantage that they will have got a game in Croker for the likes of young Niall O'Leary who has not experienced croke Park on a big match day. I do think their panel has improved this year especially with Alan Cadogan back in the fold. They're able to leave Lehane and Kingston on the bench. 2 lightning fast forwards. This time I would not want to be 6 points down with the clock running out.
Little did I think in the Gaelic grounds that the loss to Cork might be a good thing. There's nothing like a loss to refocus the minds. If we do end up playing Cork in the semi I'm sure they'll be met with much more intensity all over the park. Also we can't underestimate the influence of will O'Donoghue disrupting play. Cork wouldn't have faced that yet. He gives our half backs more of a defensive cover which would definitely help to deal with their forwards. If our boys could add goal scoring it would bury teams much earlier too"
Our style of play seems to suit Cork and games against them are often more open than with others and we have ended up with both teams putting up big scores in championship games with both teams being able to impose their own style of play. I have a feeling if we were to meet Cork in the semis things might be slightly different this time around and we may try to impose ourselves more physically and limit the space the Cork lads love. Alan Cadogan is a savage forward and would take minding alright he went to town on us the last day we met.

Niall O'Leary is a cracking cornerback but I would be testing him out early a few times and telling the likes of Hayes or Hegarty to run direct down his channel to see how he stands up. I'm thinking of Seamie Hickey in 2007, wasn't he young hurler of the year that year when KK targeted him.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 167 - 04/07/2019 08:06:24    2205275

Link

Dreadful that words like bully get thrown around here, it's immature and it's not happening here. And that DF guy is still on this forum, just posting under a different name. I always found him to be far more disagreeable than Pat

pj_mcmanus (Limerick) - Posts: 426 - 04/07/2019 09:05:15    2205296

Link

Replying To fainleog:  "Yes, Anthony Daly has been predicting Limerick with some time, Ger Loughnane did go for Limerick prior to last years
All-Ireland final, Nicholas English did likewise."
The only pundit that called Limerick last year correctly was Nicky English. He rated them as potential winners before a ball was thrown in based on his involvement in Fitzgibbon and he was spot on.

I'm rather pleased that there's a lot of pundits out there that haven't gotten the memo about the capabilities of this team. That's a good thing as a bandwagon of media admirers does not suit us as we're not a county with a history of clinical performance consistency like Kerry, Dublin or KK. We need the doubts running around in our heads. I thought that it was noteworthy that the shades of opinion seemed to favor Tipp before last Sunday despite the fact that it was Limerick that were reigning All Ireland champions. Pundits normally back the holders but not last Sunday which relieved the pressure of excess expectation which has infected us in the past.

At this point, t looks to me that Cork are the biggest threat even though Tipp are second favorites with the bookies. I'd worry for Tipp against Dublin who gave us a very tough game up in Nowlan Park. They're the type of robust team that the likes of Bubbles struggle against.

Another random thought is that the majority of the really top forwards in the game (Horgan, Canning, Callinan, Reid, Conlon) are either in going into or are in their 30's. To me, that's a leading indicator that's pointing to a window of opportunity for Limerick to make hay in.

These are wonderful times. We haven't seen them before and should enjoy them because time will move on and the beat goes on.

I

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 690 - 04/07/2019 10:48:25    2205340

Link

Replying To Dealer:  "The only pundit that called Limerick last year correctly was Nicky English. He rated them as potential winners before a ball was thrown in based on his involvement in Fitzgibbon and he was spot on.

I'm rather pleased that there's a lot of pundits out there that haven't gotten the memo about the capabilities of this team. That's a good thing as a bandwagon of media admirers does not suit us as we're not a county with a history of clinical performance consistency like Kerry, Dublin or KK. We need the doubts running around in our heads. I thought that it was noteworthy that the shades of opinion seemed to favor Tipp before last Sunday despite the fact that it was Limerick that were reigning All Ireland champions. Pundits normally back the holders but not last Sunday which relieved the pressure of excess expectation which has infected us in the past.

At this point, t looks to me that Cork are the biggest threat even though Tipp are second favorites with the bookies. I'd worry for Tipp against Dublin who gave us a very tough game up in Nowlan Park. They're the type of robust team that the likes of Bubbles struggle against.

Another random thought is that the majority of the really top forwards in the game (Horgan, Canning, Callinan, Reid, Conlon) are either in going into or are in their 30's. To me, that's a leading indicator that's pointing to a window of opportunity for Limerick to make hay in.

These are wonderful times. We haven't seen them before and should enjoy them because time will move on and the beat goes on.

I"
Agree with ya Dealer, I have thought all along that Cork are the danger team this year. I can see us trying to crowd the half back line, cut off supply to Horgon n Cadogan, use our physicality to win ball here and work it up field. In the game in May, we never tried to close the spaces and went 15 on 15. Think Kiely will change a few things if they meet again

ImokillyMan (Cork) - Posts: 214 - 04/07/2019 10:59:40    2205346

Link

Anyone at the u20 game last night, who played well, could any of our lads make the senior panel next year. Seemed to be very little hype or interest for the game in Limerick which was disappointing.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 545 - 04/07/2019 11:43:25    2205370

Link

Replying To Mads:  "Yes they had a substantial lead in the last 10 mins but I think I have to point out in ordinary time cork were the ones that relied on a Patrick Horgan free to level up the game. In the end they were the ones trying in vain to claw back the lead. A lot of people think Cork should have one but they didn't have the panel to close out the game therefore they didn't deserve to win.
Little did I think in the Gaelic grounds that the loss to Cork might be a good thing. There's nothing like a loss to refocus the minds. If we do end up playing Cork in the semi I'm sure they'll be met with much more intensity all over the park. Also we can't underestimate the influence of will O'Donoghue disrupting play. Cork wouldn't have faced that yet. He gives our half backs more of a defensive cover which would definitely help to deal with their forwards. If our boys could add goal scoring it would bury teams much earlier too"
a lot of people are on about cork been 6 up with time running out...we shout have been out of sight by half time in that game last year with gillane missing 2 sitters......

munsterchamps (Limerick) - Posts: 810 - 04/07/2019 11:47:11    2205374

Link

Replying To munsterchamps:  "a lot of people are on about cork been 6 up with time running out...we shout have been out of sight by half time in that game last year with gillane missing 2 sitters......"
Yes agreed, that never seems to get a mention. Harnedys miss\Quaids interception was always the focus beacuse it happened near the end.

Fitzy01 (Limerick) - Posts: 167 - 04/07/2019 12:09:41    2205385

Link

Yes, Dealer, you are correct in regard to Nicky English, however, he did predict a Tipperary victory last Sunday but
Anthony Daly has been steadfast in his positivity with regard to Limerick.
The present is a great time for LImerick supporters with the All-Ireland , League and Munster trophies won, it will take
only one more All-Ireland for this team to be credited as the greatest Limerick team since the 1930s. As the team is so
young, it very much achievable. The fact that they have won the All-Ireland will relieve the psychological pressure that
would otherwise be there. All players are contributing is a good omen. I believe Limerick will be very focused and will
Know only their very best will secure victory in the semi-final.

fainleog (Limerick) - Posts: 520 - 04/07/2019 12:44:36    2205401

Link

Replying To DUALSUPPORT:  "Anyone at the u20 game last night, who played well, could any of our lads make the senior panel next year. Seemed to be very little hype or interest for the game in Limerick which was disappointing."
They did well to stay in the game for as long as they did. Cork had 2 exceptional players in the full forward line. O Brien and Connolly were already on senior panel and they looked the pick of what was on show. Connolly in particular played very well.

welpastit (Limerick) - Posts: 694 - 04/07/2019 12:44:55    2205402

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "They did well to stay in the game for as long as they did. Cork had 2 exceptional players in the full forward line. O Brien and Connolly were already on senior panel and they looked the pick of what was on show. Connolly in particular played very well."
Expectations from this group were very muted so I'm actually reasonably content that they were competitive against a very strong Cork side last night. I suspect that the only candidate for senior is Connolly who looks to have the capability to further improve his game. He's got the physical attributes and the right attitude but probably still needs to work on his technique. I could see him as a viable backup in the full back line in 2020 at least. I'd expect that we'll be much stronger in this competition next year.

Cork need to find players from this group is much greater than ours as there is a major refresh in the Cork senior team coming. If they don't get to the All Ireland final this year, I'm expecting that they will be in full rebuild mode in 2020 which is why I'd love to see them fail to do so.

Dealer (Limerick) - Posts: 690 - 04/07/2019 13:41:46    2205436

Link

Replying To Fitzy01:  "Our style of play seems to suit Cork and games against them are often more open than with others and we have ended up with both teams putting up big scores in championship games with both teams being able to impose their own style of play. I have a feeling if we were to meet Cork in the semis things might be slightly different this time around and we may try to impose ourselves more physically and limit the space the Cork lads love. Alan Cadogan is a savage forward and would take minding alright he went to town on us the last day we met.

Niall O'Leary is a cracking cornerback but I would be testing him out early a few times and telling the likes of Hayes or Hegarty to run direct down his channel to see how he stands up. I'm thinking of Seamie Hickey in 2007, wasn't he young hurler of the year that year when KK targeted him."
Can remember vividly Seamus Hickey lying ground with us after being jabbed through the helmet with the butt of a hurley. (Quickly edited out of all replays )La Regrettably, incidents like this are not only ignored but the perpetrators go on to be "highly respected" pundits and managers. Two similar incidents occurred in last Sunday's Munster Final which now also appear to be allowed to fade away by those who should stand up and take notice.
This is not confrontational or vindictive. This is calling a spade a spade.

Come On ye Boys In Green

PatOLogical (Limerick) - Posts: 1079 - 04/07/2019 14:04:19    2205448

Link

Replying To welpastit:  "They did well to stay in the game for as long as they did. Cork had 2 exceptional players in the full forward line. O Brien and Connolly were already on senior panel and they looked the pick of what was on show. Connolly in particular played very well."
Thanks for that welpastit.

DUALSUPPORT (Limerick) - Posts: 545 - 04/07/2019 14:08:31    2205450

Link