Leitrim Forum

County Panel 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bananapublican:  "Team v Mayo

LEITRIM: Diarmuid McKiernan, Paddy Maguire, Fergal McTague, Michael McWeeney, Conor Reynolds, Ray Mulvey, Shane Quinn, Dean McGovern, Mark Plunkett, Sean McWeeney, Cillian McGloin, Jack Heslin, Evan Sweeney, Pearce Dolan, Domhnaill Flynn

Not expecting much in terms of the result considering the mayo team named but would like to see our lads have a cut.
Delighted to see Ray Mulvey back, McTague well deserving of his shot at full back. It is an interesting selection. Thought Shane Moran might be in full forward and Pearce out the field further.McGloin and Heslin are exciting especially with the way they progressed last year.
Hoping for an encouraging start to the year on Sunday and from there build on it."
A lot of us cavan fans will be watching with interest tomorrow to see how you get on. Good luck to ye.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1173 - 05/01/2019 12:04:48    2155728

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Team v Mayo

LEITRIM: Diarmuid McKiernan, Paddy Maguire, Fergal McTague, Michael McWeeney, Conor Reynolds, Ray Mulvey, Shane Quinn, Dean McGovern, Mark Plunkett, Sean McWeeney, Cillian McGloin, Jack Heslin, Evan Sweeney, Pearce Dolan, Domhnaill Flynn

Not expecting much in terms of the result considering the mayo team named but would like to see our lads have a cut.
Delighted to see Ray Mulvey back, McTague well deserving of his shot at full back. It is an interesting selection. Thought Shane Moran might be in full forward and Pearce out the field further.McGloin and Heslin are exciting especially with the way they progressed last year.
Hoping for an encouraging start to the year on Sunday and from there build on it."
Interesting team, Good spread of clubs that the line-up comes from, 9 clubs represented.

Drumshanbo = Diarmuid McKiernan
Annaduff - Conor Reynolds
Glencar/Manor = Evan Sweeney, Paddy Maguire
Aughnasheelin = Sean McWeeney
Mohill - Shane Quinn, Domhnaill Flynn
Aughawillan = Fergal McTague, Mark Plunkett and Pearce Dolan
Gortletragh = Jack Heslin
Ballinamore = Dean McGovern
St Mary's = Michael McWeeney, Ray Mulvey
Melvin Gaels = Cillian McGloin

Personally I think the team named will wither be changed or a good few positional changes will be made. We only have one recognised inside forward in Evan Sweeney starting which is strange although at times Mark Plunkett and Pearce Dolan have played at 14 for the Willies. Does that say we are just going to try and pack the Middle third and make it a battle until we bring on some subs in the last 20?
Here's how I would guess they will line up.
McKiernan
Paddy Maguire McTague M.McWeeney
Conor Reynolds Sean McWeeney Shane Quinn
Dean McGovern
Mark Plunkett
Mulvey McGloin Heslin
Sweeney Dolan Flynn

I have heard that Dean McGovern has been tried at Full Forward in a few games which seems strange but he might end up here tomorrow. Looks like Sean McWeeney will be Centre back, he is named in the half forward line but I can't recall him ever being a forward. Mulvey, McGloin and Heslin would be a very exciting Half-Forward line. Flynn would obviously be dropping out as an extra man in the middle third also.

Going to this game with no expectations as Mayo have an extremely strong team name but looking forward to seeing some of our players in action. The Goalkeeper, The whole fullback line and Shane Quinn will all be in our starting 1 - 7 come the championship so it is a good chance for them to get used to playing with eachother. Ray Mulvey and Lee Keegan is something I'd like to see! Will test where Ray is to say the least!

Very decent team named and still no Shane Moran, Ryan O'Rourke, Gary Plunkett, Emlyn Mulligan, Darragh Rooney, Oisin Madden, Conor Cullen, Damien Moran, Sean Flanagan, Jack Gilhheany, Noel Plunkett which is something I never thought I would say. Talk is that a massive Mayo crowd will be there so Leitrim fans need to do the same!

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 57 - 05/01/2019 14:51:45    2155737

Link

Eddie 1 here

I am pure excited with the year ahead
New management - new team - there is a buzz about the place

Wishing the lads the best of luck for the year ahead

Can't make the match tomorrow due to injury but I will be listing to the wireless

I will be fit for the National League

keep the faith

up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 05/01/2019 15:16:10    2155740

Link

Replying To Eddie1:  "Eddie 1 here

I am pure excited with the year ahead
New management - new team - there is a buzz about the place

Wishing the lads the best of luck for the year ahead

Can't make the match tomorrow due to injury but I will be listing to the wireless

I will be fit for the National League

keep the faith

up Leitrim

Eddie 1"
Great buzz indeed. Leitrim are normally jumping at the bit this time of year to get going. I hope this continues right through to the summer and come the qualifier time we are not scratching around looking for a team to put out.
Good luck to New management and I cant wait for the season to start.

Buzzcagney62 (Leitrim) - Posts: 106 - 05/01/2019 18:44:38    2155760

Link

I was at the game today. Leitrim showed huge heart to come back from 7 down and were desperately unlucky not too win it. I know mayo were missing players but there defence had most of the regular names Harrison, cafferky, Vaughan, kegan and when leitrim drove at them they couldn't cope. Our full back line was suspect and will need tighten up a lot. Although Micheal McWeeney would have been a huge help. Great too see a strong squad with subs making an impact and not just token jestures like previous years. The big test is going to be Wexford on the 26th another performance like that and small bit more clinical on front of goal they have a real chance of making a stab at promotion.

Champotime18 (Leitrim) - Posts: 102 - 06/01/2019 16:52:20    2155811

Link

First thing first, that was tremendous fun and the buzz was back being a Leitrim supporter. Secondly, the result is of little consequence in the long run. We now know for a fact that we have the quality of footballers to begin competing at a good standard again.

Now to the game: Here's how we started for anyone that wasn't at the game.

Diarmuid McKiernan
Conor Reynolds Fergal McTague Aidan Flynn
Ray Mulvey Sean McWeeney Cillian McGloin
Pearce Dolan
Shane Moran
Paddy Maguire Jack Heslin Shane Quinn
Domhnail Flynn Dean McGovern Evan Sweeney

Paddy was placed at Wing Half Forward to tag Lee Keegan after a while though he became our sweeper which I thought was strange seen as he is such a good man marker. Shane Quinn and Domhnail Flynn were also dropping deep and it looked as though we were trying to play on the counter attack.

The first half was a mixture. Going forward it was clear that when we ran at them we could really make inroads. I never would have placed him at Full Forward but it has to be said Dean McGovern showed brilliantly and a good few scores came off him. Pearce Dolan was one of our best performers all game and picked off two great scores and another came back of the post in the first half. We got sucker punched for two very soft Mayo goals in the first ten minutes when we were controlling the game. Fergal McTague and Conor Reynolds both got caught badly for each of them. Shane Moran also hit the post when a goal was at his mercy so at half time we were down by 7 which didn't really reflect the run of play in my eyes. The main issue was every time we dropped a shot short or gave a cheap turn over they transitioned quickly and punished us which you expect from a team of Mayo's calibre and experience. A few times in the first half Moran and Paddy Maguire brought the ball needlessly into contact and got stripped of it which was stupidity.

The second half was great stuff altogether. An unfortunate injury to Aidan Flynn meant that Paddy Maguire had to go back into corner back where he then turned in a Man of the Match performance and Mark Plunket came on and went to Centre back and Shane Quinn moved into Wing Back with Sean McWeeney excelling as the sweeper, these positional switches seemed to give us a lot more balance and Young McTague turned his game around and had an exceptional second half. We really went at Mayo, Jack Heslin tormented them the whole game and when Ryan O'Rourke came on they couldn't deal with us atall. Ray Mulvey was also coming into his own running from deep at Wing back. Once we got level we had oodles of opportunities to kill the game and are shot election or decision making let us down which will only improve with time. Heslin missed two, Ray Mulvey had a poor shot when Gary Plunkett was free, Ryan O'Rourke also missed two he would usually score and Damien Moran also had a poor wide. Dean McGovern's cheekiness after getting sent off was a stroke of luck that we deserved and Damien Moran kicked a brilliant equaliser off the outside of his boot. Wouldn't get to hung up on the penalties. Terry and co will now have 3 weeks to drill into these boys what he is looking for and in turn they will know that whatever they have been doing has been working which is good for morale. There is so many players to come back in so competition for places will be strong.

Few things we need to work on, Our kick outs seemed to all go to Shane Moran which became very obvious and a lot of them were to lofted and gave the Mayo boys a chance to win them. We need to make sure that the full back line isn't left so exposed especially when the likes of McTague and Reynolds were making their debuts. Then we need to find a way of getting O'Rourke and Heslin in to as much space as possible and just let them rip and have players coming off their shoulder. We created six good goal scoring opportunities today. Scored two, hit the cross bar and a post and squandered another two.

It's only the FBD and it's only January but it was hard not to enjoy that today and be positive looking at our prospects in Division Four.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 125 - 06/01/2019 18:20:49    2155828

Link

Leitrim last two FBD results before today v Mayo was a draw and win so this time Leitrim need to build on this and aim to get out of Div 4. If Carlow can so can Leitrim!

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 2345 - 06/01/2019 18:59:40    2155838

Link

Eddie 1 here

Appeal the result

That's the last match I am listening to on the wireless

Totally confused I am.

From what I understand Leitrim GAA team drew with Mayo GAA Team at 2-13 each and that was exciting
with all the new rules and everything

I don't know what happened then but they decided to have a soccer match between the two counties and whoever scored the most penalties won the match. And they penalised Leitrim by stating you could not score a point from the penalty. Lord god I was confused. Mayo won the soccer match 4- 1 and because they won the soccer match they threw in the Gaelic match as well. I did not know you were allowed play soccer matches on GAA grounds

So Leitrim are eliminated from the FBD. I think Leitrim should appeal.

So Wexford up next and if its a draw what happens?. Fifteen penalties each , one for each player.

I hope not, as Wexford Youths are good at the soccer.

Just when we are getting good at the Gaelic , matches are decided by how good we are at soccer

One thing for sure ,no more wireless for me, I am going to the match the next day

Up Leitrim

Eddie 1

Eddie1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 215 - 06/01/2019 19:03:23    2155839

Link

A lot of positives;
Paddy MaGuire, Aidan Flynn before his injury, Fergal McTague in the second half, Shane Moran if he could move the ball quicker, Pearse Dolan, Sean McWeeney sweeping, Conor Reynolds second half, Jack Heslin's angle of running even if his finishing didn't match, Evan Sweeney's debut, Shane Quinn's work rate and our use of the bench being highlights of a rather useful run out for the team.
Domhnall Flynn while he tried didn't contribute a whole pile, Mark Plunkett likewise, worked hard for the team.
But I thought overall Ray Mulvey brought us something different, with a more settled back 6 he is only going to get better. He is in serious shape, thinks fast and his speed is a huge asset that we have been lacking for years.
Terry and his selectors are lucky compared to previous managers in the sense that they have the best players making themselves available. The aim should be to build on today and aim to have at least 6 points after 4 games and be in the hunt for promotion. A good league would augur well for the lads going into the championship. Well done to the lads today. They renewed my hope and showed a fighting spirit to come from so far behind to almost snatch an improbable win.

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 850 - 06/01/2019 20:12:39    2155855

Link

Really Enjoyable Leitrim Performance.

It's been years since I could say we could physically stand up for ourselves on the field and not get pushed around in contact.

After a hairy first 15 mins Fergal McTague showed why that number 3 jersey will be his if he wants it.

Shane Quinn and Paddy Maguire were simply immense in the second half. Think it's not overstating things to say Maguire is in the top 3 corner backs in Connacht and that's over a period of time

Jack Heslin glides across the surface and is so hard to pin down for defenders. He does need to become more ruthless infront of goals however

Pearce Dolan continued his form for Aughawillan into the Leitrim jersey for such a rangy player he is so composed on the ball.

Shane Moran is a powerhouse and put in a huge amount of work and will only get better with more training. His physicality makes such a difference to our team from last year.

Sean McWeeney was very comfortable in everything he did and you could see how good his communication was with the other players on the field. A bit of leadership and a cool head is something we have been missing over the last few years with such a young team.

Evan Sweeney is one of the less talked about forwards on the team was very good and picked off a few lovely scores when we needed them

Mark Plunkett coming on at number 6 was the most interesting aspect of the whole day. In my eyes he's arguably the best all round footballer in Leitrim but I don't ever recall him playing centre back at any level for club or county before? It could be a solution to our main issue but are we taking away from his talents by not having him further up the field?

Not often we have brought on 4 forwards of the standard of Ryan O'Rourke, Darragh Rooney, Gary Plunkett and Damien Moran!!

Also heard that Micheal McWeeney is captain for the year which is good to hear, he has improved a considerable amount in the last three years!

I'd say up on 11 or 12 positions are filled for the first league game including 1 -9 after today! Will be very hard to pick the final few and Terry will have the even harder job of cutting the panel now before the league! Hopefully none of our players get injured in training or in Sigerson games before January the 27th. Today won't make any difference if we don't hit the ground running in Division 4

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 239 - 06/01/2019 20:34:12    2155859

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "A lot of positives;
Paddy MaGuire, Aidan Flynn before his injury, Fergal McTague in the second half, Shane Moran if he could move the ball quicker, Pearse Dolan, Sean McWeeney sweeping, Conor Reynolds second half, Jack Heslin's angle of running even if his finishing didn't match, Evan Sweeney's debut, Shane Quinn's work rate and our use of the bench being highlights of a rather useful run out for the team.
Domhnall Flynn while he tried didn't contribute a whole pile, Mark Plunkett likewise, worked hard for the team.
But I thought overall Ray Mulvey brought us something different, with a more settled back 6 he is only going to get better. He is in serious shape, thinks fast and his speed is a huge asset that we have been lacking for years.
Terry and his selectors are lucky compared to previous managers in the sense that they have the best players making themselves available. The aim should be to build on today and aim to have at least 6 points after 4 games and be in the hunt for promotion. A good league would augur well for the lads going into the championship. Well done to the lads today. They renewed my hope and showed a fighting spirit to come from so far behind to almost snatch an improbable win."
Well done today. Terry will get what he calls honesty from players, ie hard work and playing to his system. If the players work with him in confident ye will be in the mix for promotion. Great character to come back like that against a seasoned Div 1 team.

fredflint (Cavan) - Posts: 1173 - 06/01/2019 22:53:40    2155878

Link

Really Enjoyable Leitrim Performance.
It's been years since I could say we could physically stand up for ourselves on the field and not get pushed around in contact.

After a hairy first 15 mins Fergal McTague showed why that number 3 jersey will be his if he wants it.

Shane Quinn and Paddy Maguire were simply immense in the second half.

Jack Heslin glides across the surface and is so hard to pin down for defenders. He does need to become more ruthless infront of goals however

Pearce Dolan continued his form for Aughawillan into the Leitrim jersey for such a rangy player he is so composed on the ball.

Shane Moran is a powerhouse and put in a huge amount of work and will only get better with more training. His physicality makes such a difference to our team from last year.

Sean McWeeney was very comfortable in everything he did and you could see how good his communication was with the other players on the field.

Evan Sweeney is one of the less talked about forwards on the team was very good and picked off a few lovely scores when we needed them

Mark Plunkett coming on at number 6 was the most interesting aspect of the whole day. In my eyes he's arguably the best all round footballer in Leitrim but I don't ever recall him playing centre back at any level for club or county before? It could be a solution to our main issue but are we taking away from his talents by not having him further up the field?

Not often we have brought on 4 forwards of the standard of Ryan O'Rourke, Darragh Rooney, Gary Plunkett and Damien Moran!!

Also heard that Micheal McWeeney is captain for the year which is good to hear, he has improved a considerable amount in the last three years!

I'd say up on 11 or 12 positions are filled for the first league game including 1 -9 after today! Will be very hard to pick the final few and Terry will have the even harder job of cutting the panel now before the league! Hopefully none of our players get injured in training or in Sigerson games before January the 27th.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 239 - 07/01/2019 11:27:41    2155920

Link

heartening performance from the lads yesterday and a sign that the Hyland era could be a promising one. He has huge questions ahead of him, ones that any manager would like. I think after seeing the performance of the forwards yesterday that Mulligan will find it very hard to get a starting spot when he's back and may be used in the last 10 mins as an impact sub in games.

i was at the game with the earphones firmly in and i must say the disparity of the quality and length of time being given to the game between the two local radio stations covering the game were stark, and this isn't the first time i have noticed that Roscommon FM does not give the coverage Leitrim deserve.

spiritofeslin (Leitrim) - Posts: 76 - 07/01/2019 15:30:28    2155960

Link

A right proper performance yesterday - hard not to get excited about the year ahead. It wasn't that we drew with Mayo (we've done that and even beaten them before), it was just the all round quality. Still questions at the back but the way our new manager dealt with them on the fly, showed just why he was wanted so badly by Longford and others. Evan Sweeney was a revelation; Jack Heslin gets better every time I see him and when was the last time you saw Leitrim dominate midfield?

My hunch watching yesterday is that Terry likes the big men - and that line-out was probably bigger than Mayo which was the biggest surprise of all. Wexford will be a HUGE challenge; but being at home will be a great help and hopefully the Leitrim support will return in numbers - as some one said in an earlier post, this team is seriously entertaining to watch. Their attacking play really is a joy

More of the same please!!

leitrimlhady (Leitrim) - Posts: 71 - 07/01/2019 16:59:22    2155988

Link

Replying To spiritofeslin:  "heartening performance from the lads yesterday and a sign that the Hyland era could be a promising one. He has huge questions ahead of him, ones that any manager would like. I think after seeing the performance of the forwards yesterday that Mulligan will find it very hard to get a starting spot when he's back and may be used in the last 10 mins as an impact sub in games.

i was at the game with the earphones firmly in and i must say the disparity of the quality and length of time being given to the game between the two local radio stations covering the game were stark, and this isn't the first time i have noticed that Roscommon FM does not give the coverage Leitrim deserve."
Mid west radio covered the match from start to end. Vary impressed with Leitrim and hard luck. Hope ye get promoted.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9572 - 07/01/2019 17:39:51    2155995

Link