Westmeath Forum

Intermediate Hurling 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "By jaysus the wood got out of jail but also could've won it! Poor enough game but came to life in the last 10 mins. First half was a shootout between O Mara and Loughlin. Wood shipped 3 softish goals but showed character to come from 7 down with 10 to go. Shane McGovern's goal was crucial,had the balls to do it when a pt would've been a soft option n I think the wood line told him to put it over. Replay on bank holiday Monday by all accounts, if Westmeath were any good in either codes county finals wouldn't be played till Christmas"
Either The Wood or Clonkill could have won it in the end.
But the big talking point after the game was the refereeing.
Am I being completely naieve, or was this not a complete injustice to both teams, and the paying supporters.
We pay 15 Euro and get this performance from the person in the middle.
Westmeath is a county who prides itself on good hurling referees,
So County Board lets have the best for the finals, not the performance we had to day.

Kuga (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 20/10/2018 22:40:34    2147416

Link

Replying To Kuga:  "Either The Wood or Clonkill could have won it in the end.
But the big talking point after the game was the refereeing.
Am I being completely naieve, or was this not a complete injustice to both teams, and the paying supporters.
We pay 15 Euro and get this performance from the person in the middle.
Westmeath is a county who prides itself on good hurling referees,
So County Board lets have the best for the finals, not the performance we had to day."
It was completely biased in favour of one team.
Shambolic

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1542 - 21/10/2018 13:40:32    2147461

Link

Replying To valley84:  "It was completely biased in favour of one team.
Shambolic"
Which team... examples? I thought he was brutal to both.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 346 - 21/10/2018 16:05:04    2147473

Link

It was the ref's first big game and he was always going to be under pressure here. Yeah he got a few calls wrong both ways but he definitely wasn't biased. The last 10 minutes of the game were very exciting, looking forward to the replay.

gedupoutofit (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 21/10/2018 17:07:42    2147481

Link

Examples were u at the game Clonkill should have been out of site in second half 3 blatant penalties not given moved in the free for wood goal which from where I was standing shouldn't even have been a free I'm all for best team winning on the day but when ref does everything in his power for a team to win it's a bad day for the sport I didn't mind the €15 for two finals but what an awful display from the man in the middle I heard Alfie Devine has the replay

Abu2016 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 21/10/2018 17:14:53    2147482

Link

Replying To Abu2016:  "Examples were u at the game Clonkill should have been out of site in second half 3 blatant penalties not given moved in the free for wood goal which from where I was standing shouldn't even have been a free I'm all for best team winning on the day but when ref does everything in his power for a team to win it's a bad day for the sport I didn't mind the €15 for two finals but what an awful display from the man in the middle I heard Alfie Devine has the replay"
Not a word about Loughlin who should have been sent off in the first half or the soft free for Clonkill before half time. The ref made mistakes on both sides but some top senior teams think they have a devine right to win everything

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 547 - 21/10/2018 17:50:00    2147490

Link

Replying To jobber:  "Not a word about Loughlin who should have been sent off in the first half or the soft free for Clonkill before half time. The ref made mistakes on both sides but some top senior teams think they have a devine right to win everything"
Agree with that, also Crookedwood were denied a blatant penalty in the first half. Don't like been too critical of the ref but it was the same both sides. Clonkill got a handy free to level up at the end so they can't really complain. There lucky to get the replay. Crookedwood were the better team overall.

Inspired (Westmeath) - Posts: 47 - 21/10/2018 21:31:53    2147544

Link

Don't know what game ye were looking at with a all your moaning about the referee. He'd a good Game, got the big calls right. A load of nonsense about penalties not being given. Draw a fair result.

midfield9 (Westmeath) - Posts: 5 - 21/10/2018 21:42:53    2147547

Link

Replying To midfield9:  "Don't know what game ye were looking at with a all your moaning about the referee. He'd a good Game, got the big calls right. A load of nonsense about penalties not being given. Draw a fair result."
I cannot understand how a referee who does senior games wasn't appointed for this final.
Experience has to be earned, not lads thrown in at the deep end.

And as i previously stated, the Wood got all the big calls when they needed them. As they often seem to do in games

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1542 - 21/10/2018 22:23:44    2147561

Link

Replying To valley84:  "I cannot understand how a referee who does senior games wasn't appointed for this final.

And as i previously stated, the Wood got all the big calls when they needed them. As they often seem to do in games"
Interestingly the crowd moaning about Titles won and lost have won many yet those who accept the Refs decisions here nothing. Are they used to getting decisions????

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 547 - 22/10/2018 00:23:48    2147576

Link

Replying To valley84:  "I cannot understand how a referee who does senior games wasn't appointed for this final.

And as i previously stated, the Wood got all the big calls when they needed them. As they often seem to do in games"
What?? Two years ago in the Intermediate final James McGrath gave Plunketts a free to draw with the Wood after a Wood defender had been fouled and didn't get a free out, 3 years ago in the IHC final the Wood scored an injury time goal that wasn't given, they would've beat Brownstown by a pt had the officials seen it. They're fairly big calls going against a team that you claim always get the big calls. In my opinion The Wood were the better team on Saturday, conceding the soft goals nearly undone them and if the game went on any longer they would've won it. Refs are too quick to blow up when its a draw, extra time should've been played,finish the game on the one day at this time of year.

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 346 - 22/10/2018 19:26:20    2147759

Link

Replying To stonemadbeany:  "What?? Two years ago in the Intermediate final James McGrath gave Plunketts a free to draw with the Wood after a Wood defender had been fouled and didn't get a free out, 3 years ago in the IHC final the Wood scored an injury time goal that wasn't given, they would've beat Brownstown by a pt had the officials seen it. They're fairly big calls going against a team that you claim always get the big calls. In my opinion The Wood were the better team on Saturday, conceding the soft goals nearly undone them and if the game went on any longer they would've won it. Refs are too quick to blow up when its a draw, extra time should've been played,finish the game on the one day at this time of year."
I agree about the extra time
It's a huge issue with Cusack not having lights

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1542 - 22/10/2018 20:23:00    2147772

Link

I've heard from a reliable source that the game will not be played on Bank holiday Monday one of the teams have players away in college in England which won't have a bank holiday and therefore cannot get home so unless the game goes ahead Sat or Sun the replay will not go ahead

Abu2016 (Westmeath) - Posts: 20 - 22/10/2018 21:27:55    2147784

Link

Replying To Abu2016:  "I've heard from a reliable source that the game will not be played on Bank holiday Monday one of the teams have players away in college in England which won't have a bank holiday and therefore cannot get home so unless the game goes ahead Sat or Sun the replay will not go ahead"
Yea,the McGrath twins from Clonkill work or are in college in England,but if the game is fixed it won't/can't be changed? Are you saying if it stays on Monday that Clonkill won't turn up?

stonemadbeany (USA) - Posts: 346 - 23/10/2018 12:37:05    2147880

Link