Antrim Forum

Belfast Clubs

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi folks,

Living in Belfast these days and looking to get involved with a club, I live in the shadow of Windsor Park so not sure who my local team would be. I haven't played for a good while and in my mid 30s now so it's more to get a bit of fitness up and a bit of craic!

Any info or tips appreciated,

Go raibh maith agaibh!

JoeSoap (Donegal) - Posts: 727 - 08/08/2018 11:38:27    2130786

Link

Replying To JoeSoap:  "Hi folks,

Living in Belfast these days and looking to get involved with a club, I live in the shadow of Windsor Park so not sure who my local team would be. I haven't played for a good while and in my mid 30s now so it's more to get a bit of fitness up and a bit of craic!

Any info or tips appreciated,

Go raibh maith agaibh!"
Hi Joe

First advice i would give you is to keep things to yourself about the GAA anywhere around the Windsor park area of Belfast. Sadly some parts of the city just cant accept that someone from a different background might live amongst them in 'their' community.

As for clubs. Technically, you are in county Down as the Windsor area is in the south of the city. Bredagh GAC and Carryduff are two clubs in the south but are a bit further away from you than a few Antrim clubs in the west.

Not far from you is St. Gall's who are a top division one side and just above them on the Whiterock road you have last years county finalists St.Johns and just below them on the same road you have O'Donnells. You also have St.Brigids who play at the top of the Boucher Rd at Musgrave. There are plenty of clubs in the city and in particular the west but the 4 i named would be the closest to the Windsor area.

hopefully this helps you. the county championship starts soon so it might be worth checking out a couple of games to see what you make of the teams etc. good luck

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1685 - 09/08/2018 13:16:37    2131204

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "Hi Joe

First advice i would give you is to keep things to yourself about the GAA anywhere around the Windsor park area of Belfast. Sadly some parts of the city just cant accept that someone from a different background might live amongst them in 'their' community.

As for clubs. Technically, you are in county Down as the Windsor area is in the south of the city. Bredagh GAC and Carryduff are two clubs in the south but are a bit further away from you than a few Antrim clubs in the west.

Not far from you is St. Gall's who are a top division one side and just above them on the Whiterock road you have last years county finalists St.Johns and just below them on the same road you have O'Donnells. You also have St.Brigids who play at the top of the Boucher Rd at Musgrave. There are plenty of clubs in the city and in particular the west but the 4 i named would be the closest to the Windsor area.

hopefully this helps you. the county championship starts soon so it might be worth checking out a couple of games to see what you make of the teams etc. good luck"
You have a good choice of clubs to choose from Joe my advice would be to go check them out and see what one feels right for you, some would be stronger at football while others preference would be hurling, West Belfast is the area of club u be looking, I'd recommend St Johns, St Galls, Cardinal O'Donnells, Davitts or St Brigids. Enjoy finding your new club Joe and wish you all the best. Welcome to Antrim. Ps should have moved to the glens

Saffronhurl (Antrim) - Posts: 29 - 11/08/2018 21:59:03    2131973

Link

Replying To SaffronDon:  "Hi Joe

hopefully this helps you. the county championship starts soon so it might be worth checking out a couple of games to see what you make of the teams etc. good luck"
He's in the Antrim side of Belfast, north of the Lagan if that really matters now, so St Brids would be his closest club.

bricktop (Down) - Posts: 2246 - 14/08/2018 11:23:43    2133108

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "He's in the Antrim side of Belfast, north of the Lagan if that really matters now, so St Brids would be his closest club."
Your right about the Antrim side of things actually, but it's still south Belfast so I gave two South Belfast clubs. But the Whiterock clubs O'Donnells and St johns are the closest to Windsor, not Brigid's.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 1685 - 14/08/2018 14:52:06    2133231

Link