Tipperary Forum

Tipp Management

(Oldest Posts First)

Much thanks to Mick Ryan and his management team for their hard work, sacrifice and dedication to the advancement of Tipperary hurling.
It's a disappointing end to their management of this 'golden generation' of Tipp hurlers. In my very humble opinion there were a number of reasons why.
1. EOS must take an amount of credit for the win in '16. I believe if he had stayed for the '16 season Tipp would have won anyway. Tipp's style/tactics of hurling in that period 2013-2015 is now copied by successful teams such as Limerick and Cork. Mick Ryan moved away from that style/tactics completely and I believe that was unfortunately the beginning of the end. A good example of this was GMcInerney cleaning up in the 2017 semi-final. Drive it, drive it, drive it became the tactic and there wasn't a plan B.

2. Player indiscipline has blighted Tipp hurling since 2009. As we are all aware key players got involved in crazy stuff. I don't need to go on about this but that golden generation only won 2 all irelands in 9 years. It's a shame particularly as what is coming through at u21 and minor certainly won't set the hurling world alight.

3. The new players that Mick Ryan was trying to blood just aren't good enough. We hear all this talk about development squads but the players being produced are good club hurlers at best. As I have already alluded to, Tipp hurling is going to go through a barren spell.

4. The county board doesn't understand what it takes to win an All Ireland. They allowed that Polish S&C coach to leave, a coach that is renowned throughout Europe. A good S&C coach is probably worth 2-3 points in a game. Just ask Galway.

I hope the county board make the right decision and bring in an outside coach. None of the Tipperary coaches mentioned by the media have proved themselves imo. I know people will say TD is the best candidate but I look back to the recent Waterford minor game and I shake my head.

fergo (Tipperary) - Posts: 45 - 03/08/2018 12:29:31    2128724

Link

Not sure if relevant but I wasn't mad on Bubbles Dwyer's post all ireland win comments on tv, he seemed to think they had proved everyone wrong or something when really you could argue they underachieved especially if you compare with KK.

gahfan (Wexford) - Posts: 365 - 03/08/2018 17:16:32    2128787

Link

Hard to disagree with most of the points you make there Fergo except about a lack of talent coming through. I think there is plenty of talent in the current under 21 team. Feehan and Browne did well in the league. Morris was good in championship. I'd be excited about the prospects of McGrath, Cadell, Cahill and Kehoe too.

If only 3 or 4 of them make it we will be doing well. I thought Kehoe was one of the best minors I saw in a long time.

GahFan, bubbles is a very frustrating character and not representative of the mindset of the current group of players.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2329 - 04/08/2018 05:36:48    2128860

Link