Wicklow Forum

Club Championship Hurling

(Oldest Posts First)

That time of year again and we are only a short week away from the start of club championship hurling. We have been blessed with amazing hurling weather and long may it last. Flicking through the fixtures of Senior & Intermediate and there is lots of hurling to be played over a 10 day period all starting this Saturday 07/07/18. As always i try to determine who will come out on top of each fixture, am yet to get it right but will keep trying. Hoping a few others might share their knowledge or insight to potential championship winners this year.

Senior
Bray vs Kiltegan - Bray. Impossible to look past Bray. They've been hurling in Dublin league while Kiltegan have struggled slightly in their league campaign.
St. Pats vs Eire Og. - Eire Og. I expect this to be very close and if the St. Pats talisman can be marshaled then i believe Eire Og might just nab the result here.
Carnew vs Glenealy - Glenealy. Always bring out the best in each other and even though Carnew won the league and beating Glenealy in the last game to do so, its still very hard to look past the reigning champions and i believe the speed of fast moving ball will favour Glenealy on this occasion.

Intermediate
Avondale vs Arklow Rocks - Avondale. Both former Senior teams but Avondale should have the fire power to win this bout especially win a strong league campaign behind them. Although the Rocks are a strong championship team on any given day i still think Avondale will get the result.
Glenealy vs St. Pats - Glenealy. Strength in dept in Glenealy and have a quality mix of youth and experience. Will most likely be championship favourites with an already very impressive league performance. Glenealy to run out comfortable winners.
Carnew vs Kiltegan - Carnew. Again strength in depth here and Kiltegan struggling to fill this team for the league, I believe Carnew will win this one without too much effort.

There are lots more Intermediate games the following week too according to the fixtures, be looking forward to a feast of hurling.

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 151 - 02/07/2018 11:05:22    2117580

Link

Is it true that we have gone back to the same old rule where if a player plays senior championship then he's deemed senior for the year and not from the 1/4 final stage on like it has been the last few years,this could weaken Bray,Carnew,glenealy and st Patrick's intermediate team if so. As regarding the senior,Glenealy look the team to beat again.... Bray are staying very quiet and Carnew look a lot sharper than last year. Here's to a good hurling championship.Senior - Glenealy Inter-Avondale

brollyboy (Wicklow) - Posts: 112 - 04/07/2018 11:32:20    2118386

Link

Replying To brollyboy:  "Is it true that we have gone back to the same old rule where if a player plays senior championship then he's deemed senior for the year and not from the 1/4 final stage on like it has been the last few years,this could weaken Bray,Carnew,glenealy and st Patrick's intermediate team if so. As regarding the senior,Glenealy look the team to beat again.... Bray are staying very quiet and Carnew look a lot sharper than last year. Here's to a good hurling championship.Senior - Glenealy Inter-Avondale"
Yes I did hear earlier on in the year that this was the new format of players being locked down from the first championship match rather than the 1/4 final stage. I believe it was firstly, always to be in place but was never really sanctioned and secondly, it was to irradiate clubs having strong second teams (as in Junior/Inter) and going far in that championship before pulling those players to use for the first team. I suppose it makes sense in some way because it creates a level playing field from the start of the championship right the way through at all grades.
Previously it was a bit of a joke where some clubs were winning Junior championships with basically their first team.
Whether it will be enforced or not is another thing. But i agree that it will hamper some clubs. The likes of Glenealy and Carnew might manage this at all levels but the likes of St. Pats, Kiltegan and Avondale would be inclined to suffer from this. In fact i don't even think Avondale are fielding a Junior team because i don't see them in the fixtures for the championship but this may be due to the fact they have dropped from Senior to Intermediate and only have players to fill one championship team?

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 151 - 04/07/2018 12:33:00    2118422

Link