Wicklow Forum

The Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First)

Thoughts on the draw ? Cavan at home

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 98 - 28/05/2018 08:44:23    2104511

Link

Replying To WW9:  "Thoughts on the draw ? Cavan at home"
Cavan underperformed in Ulster this year I think. They won 4 u21 Ulster titles on the bounce a few yrs ago. We have always found them hard to beat. Let's hope this year changes that.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 43 - 28/05/2018 10:11:50    2104583

Link

Was in Portlaoise and though the Wicklow lads battled on it was hard to see a lot of structure. Strangely having Seanie around midfield worked but you ended up robbing peter to pay paul.

Cavan now play a more open game and if they continue with it Wicklow will get scores. Doubt it will be enough even after that mesmerizing road from Rathnew to Aughrim. The are also a few back from injury too..

ponger (Cavan) - Posts: 391 - 28/05/2018 14:38:40    2104781

Link

Replying To ponger:  "Was in Portlaoise and though the Wicklow lads battled on it was hard to see a lot of structure. Strangely having Seanie around midfield worked but you ended up robbing peter to pay paul.

Cavan now play a more open game and if they continue with it Wicklow will get scores. Doubt it will be enough even after that mesmerizing road from Rathnew to Aughrim. The are also a few back from injury too.."
I thought the same having Seanie out did work and I personally would leave Stafford in on the square although many would disagree I'm sure but his a threat in there and his saved Rathnew many times when they've put him in.

Should be a good game and a decent contest

WW9 (Wicklow) - Posts: 98 - 28/05/2018 16:01:10    2104857

Link

Fully sure that we are able and will beat Cavan. Failures of the last few years are behind us and the new county manager is doing great work. Our confidence is high and despite the score we put a resonable show against the best team that ever played(Dubs)
Not many sides can put up 1-11 against the dubs so we should be more confident and i think will have a right good go at winning. great young players coming through so our day is coming

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 165 - 03/06/2018 16:53:30    2106857

Link

Replying To hurlingnut:  "Fully sure that we are able and will beat Cavan. Failures of the last few years are behind us and the new county manager is doing great work. Our confidence is high and despite the score we put a resonable show against the best team that ever played(Dubs)
Not many sides can put up 1-11 against the dubs so we should be more confident and i think will have a right good go at winning. great young players coming through so our day is coming"
Hurlingnut by any chance were you in the blue horrors typing out that muck. I went down to the match to watch possibly the worst game of football in my life. The only player that accounted for himself today was James Stafford. Our corner forwards spent the game down in the full back line, like that tactic is absolute rubbish. Where we go from here I just don't know.

kodak13 (Wicklow) - Posts: 50 - 09/06/2018 22:56:22    2109180

Link

Can take positives from the championship this year.
Beat a D3 team in the Leinster championship.
Defeated by Dublin (D1 & All Irel Champions) in Leinster QF. A lot of counties have suffered this fate over the years. Donegal the last team to defeat them in Leinter in 2013
Defeated by Cavan (D1) in the Qualifiers. A tough draw against a decent Ulster team.

In saying that they were the worst team in the league, finished bottom of D4, Remember, they only played 5 matches. The remaining two were winnable.

Next year, there will be progress.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2724 - 11/06/2018 14:17:49    2109959

Link

Replying To Jack L:  "Can take positives from the championship this year.
Beat a D3 team in the Leinster championship.
Defeated by Dublin (D1 & All Irel Champions) in Leinster QF. A lot of counties have suffered this fate over the years. Donegal the last team to defeat them in Leinter in 2013
Defeated by Cavan (D1) in the Qualifiers. A tough draw against a decent Ulster team.

In saying that they were the worst team in the league, finished bottom of D4, Remember, they only played 5 matches. The remaining two were winnable.

Next year, there will be progress."
Go away Jack will ya.

They who are they? You not even from this county.

Saturday was an embaressment to the county. No reason to hope for progreGoal man ends the year top scorer and only for Jim Stafford

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 308 - 11/06/2018 21:38:27    2110251

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Go away Jack will ya.

They who are they? You not even from this county.

Saturday was an embaressment to the county. No reason to hope for progreGoal man ends the year top scorer and only for Jim Stafford"
Calm down Pat M. It was unfortunate to have to play two D1 teams in the championship. Cavan like a lot of Ulster teams play a very defensive brand of football which very few teams can counteract. Matches invloving Ulster teams are seldom classics.

Playing in D4 is not preparation for playing against the Dubs or any of the top sides. You have got to remember Wicklow have not played top class sides since the Micko era.

I believe in Evans. Lets get behind him and get competitive in D4. Have to get a game plan and work on it. Carlow were very defensive by all accounts yesterday. While it is not easy on the eye, they have a game plan which worked all year.

Evans is the man to stamp his mark on the team. Be patient with less of the negatives.

Jack L (None) - Posts: 2724 - 11/06/2018 23:16:15    2110324

Link

Replying To Jack L:  "Calm down Pat M. It was unfortunate to have to play two D1 teams in the championship. Cavan like a lot of Ulster teams play a very defensive brand of football which very few teams can counteract. Matches invloving Ulster teams are seldom classics.

Playing in D4 is not preparation for playing against the Dubs or any of the top sides. You have got to remember Wicklow have not played top class sides since the Micko era.

I believe in Evans. Lets get behind him and get competitive in D4. Have to get a game plan and work on it. Carlow were very defensive by all accounts yesterday. While it is not easy on the eye, they have a game plan which worked all year.

Evans is the man to stamp his mark on the team. Be patient with less of the negatives."
Have to agree with Jack L above. I was never happy with the thinking that we would best Cavan. They could go a fair way in the qualifiers. We haven't played them very often and have fewer victories over them. We are bottom of the pile - plain and simple. I too am a believer in Evans and from our position, the only way is up. I am particularly happy with the minor/ u17 team. But for the now expected Wicklow glitches / misfortunes we would have 6 pts from 3 games - but at least we are competing. The feedback from other underage panels is also positive. Keeping all this undoubted talent interested in Gaelic Games into their late teens and early twenties is just another major hurdle that we face in this county. Let's be honest with ourselves, GAA or being associated with it is not as "cool"or "sexy " as in some other counties. Generations of false dawns and hidings have bred this. A lot of our aspiring athletes transfers to other codes or mix codes with the result that they never ready reach the top in any. Dare I ask anybody to check the professional profiles of our senior footballers or hurlers over the decades ?. How many players from the professional classes - doctors, teachers, solicitors, etc have graced our intercounty teams as in other counties ? To improve our situation is going to be a long process but we have to start somewhere and Ballinakill is the best chance we have had to change things for generations. I'm afraid Pat Mustard that one or two clicks of the fingers would only be a sticking plaster solution and inevitably pull us down even further in the long term.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 43 - 12/06/2018 09:02:47    2110375

Link

I completely agree with Freethinker. Wicklow won their first Leinster Championship match in 5 years away in Portloaise and after the league campaign that they had that's a great achievement. I've stated before that Wicklow needs to build up from the bottom and heavily invest in their youth set up in both codes and it's great to see that Wicklow has a competitive minor football team this year. These are green shoots and hopefully the only way is upwards for John Evans and Wicklow!

Fullartj (Dublin) - Posts: 10 - 12/06/2018 12:47:45    2110489

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "Have to agree with Jack L above. I was never happy with the thinking that we would best Cavan. They could go a fair way in the qualifiers. We haven't played them very often and have fewer victories over them. We are bottom of the pile - plain and simple. I too am a believer in Evans and from our position, the only way is up. I am particularly happy with the minor/ u17 team. But for the now expected Wicklow glitches / misfortunes we would have 6 pts from 3 games - but at least we are competing. The feedback from other underage panels is also positive. Keeping all this undoubted talent interested in Gaelic Games into their late teens and early twenties is just another major hurdle that we face in this county. Let's be honest with ourselves, GAA or being associated with it is not as "cool"or "sexy " as in some other counties. Generations of false dawns and hidings have bred this. A lot of our aspiring athletes transfers to other codes or mix codes with the result that they never ready reach the top in any. Dare I ask anybody to check the professional profiles of our senior footballers or hurlers over the decades ?. How many players from the professional classes - doctors, teachers, solicitors, etc have graced our intercounty teams as in other counties ? To improve our situation is going to be a long process but we have to start somewhere and Ballinakill is the best chance we have had to change things for generations. I'm afraid Pat Mustard that one or two clicks of the fingers would only be a sticking plaster solution and inevitably pull us down even further in the long term."
Freethinker. Are you suggesting that there is a correlation between a players chosen career and his ability on a football/hurling pitch?. Curious

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - Posts: 199 - 14/06/2018 09:55:00    2111393

Link

Absolutely not. I didn't think there would be any be any confusion over what I said. Perhaps to clarify. Some of my friends have been involved with various coaching roles over the year with different clubs. They all remarked that there was a difficulty in holding onto some of the lads when they moved onto college and beyond. The children of "dyed in the wool" GAA people were in it for the long haul, but kids from shall we say, less committed backgrounds, tended to drift away from the games as they got older no matter what their ability was. My friends seemed to think that they might not be getting wholly enthusiastic encouragement from home to stick with Gaelic Games. That just had me wondering if this was the case in all counties, particularly the more successful ones. There is a whole debate could be generated from this. Has our lack of success over the generations bred a feeling of detachment from our national games in the county ? Look at our population and compare it to counties with much smaller numbers and with which we are no longer able to compete. I know that I have slated the county board here on occasion but does the problem run deeper than that ?? Anyway, I hope this goes some way to clearing up what I meant previously and, again, Up the minors.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 43 - 14/06/2018 19:53:23    2111607

Link

Truth is a lot of people living here are not from Wicklow and have no local club loyalty and even less to the county. same goes in Meath and Kildare I know but i think clubs here need to do more and county board do a lot more.

You wont get people commited Unless they have really got in to something and the lack of underage matches week in week out is a problem Much more games in kildare for definite and that helps i think. Clubs are asleep as well not enough being done so no connection they just dont come back after exams or they go to collage unless they are lifers like some of us

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 308 - 15/06/2018 10:10:28    2111728

Link

Replying To Pat Mustard:  "Truth is a lot of people living here are not from Wicklow and have no local club loyalty and even less to the county. same goes in Meath and Kildare I know but i think clubs here need to do more and county board do a lot more.

You wont get people commited Unless they have really got in to something and the lack of underage matches week in week out is a problem Much more games in kildare for definite and that helps i think. Clubs are asleep as well not enough being done so no connection they just dont come back after exams or they go to collage unless they are lifers like some of us"
That's definitely a huge problem in Bray, with half of the town coming from a Dublin background etc, leading to little or no identification with Wicklow.
The county teams should be teeming with youngsters from Bray, but alas, that's not the case.
To be fair, great work has been done by Bray Emmet's across all age levels. The other club in the town is a shambles unfortunately.

WicklowGael87 (Wicklow) - Posts: 5 - 15/06/2018 13:49:14    2111853

Link

I'm afraid our great organisation has done itself a disservice once again and fair play to Kildare, part of me is hoping they stick to their guns while the other part lies with the players who have gotten Kildare into this game with Mayo. All my life I have leapt to the defence of our association particularly when the sniggerers were calling it the Grab All Association. And to see that great Gael, Nicky Brennan, wheeled out to give a pretty garbled account of health and safety concerns at St Conleths Newbridge brought a wry smile. I had visions of wild and woolly Mayo hordes descending on Newbridge drinking, carousing and possibly worse because they couldn't gain access to the grounds. A bit like all those thousands of Dublin season ticket holders who would be denied the spectacle of their heroes putting Wicklow to the sword in Aughrim. An old friend of mine when describing the difference between the GAA and the FAI said that to his mind there were too many bicycles chains to the railings in Merrigan Sq for his liking. To my mind we have now gone too far down the corporate path. Too many paid officials. Too many vested interests protecting their own patch. The real strength of the association was always its grass roots, it's foot soldiers. No more. We have moved on from bikes, too many cars in the reserved parking in Jones Road now.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 43 - 26/06/2018 11:33:05    2115264

Link

Replying To Freethinker:  "I'm afraid our great organisation has done itself a disservice once again and fair play to Kildare, part of me is hoping they stick to their guns while the other part lies with the players who have gotten Kildare into this game with Mayo. All my life I have leapt to the defence of our association particularly when the sniggerers were calling it the Grab All Association. And to see that great Gael, Nicky Brennan, wheeled out to give a pretty garbled account of health and safety concerns at St Conleths Newbridge brought a wry smile. I had visions of wild and woolly Mayo hordes descending on Newbridge drinking, carousing and possibly worse because they couldn't gain access to the grounds. A bit like all those thousands of Dublin season ticket holders who would be denied the spectacle of their heroes putting Wicklow to the sword in Aughrim. An old friend of mine when describing the difference between the GAA and the FAI said that to his mind there were too many bicycles chains to the railings in Merrigan Sq for his liking. To my mind we have now gone too far down the corporate path. Too many paid officials. Too many vested interests protecting their own patch. The real strength of the association was always its grass roots, it's foot soldiers. No more. We have moved on from bikes, too many cars in the reserved parking in Jones Road now."
Very well put Sir. You've summed it up to an absolute tee.

Passer_By (Carlow) - Posts: 434 - 26/06/2018 22:24:58    2115649

Link