Westmeath Forum

Westmeath V Laois

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To valley84:  "As far as I'm aware Westmeath has one of the highest spends on coaching and games in Leinster. Go ahead and ask for a plan and breakdown of costs.

If you develop a centre of excellence you will get grants
Offaly and Laois have got their centres finished

Buy some land around Mullingar backed by croke park loans and get something built. NAMA have land banks around the town. Approach them

Our previous county boards wasted time and energy with the farcical army barracks project."
How long have we been talking about this? This was talked about 15 years ago and we are still no closer to having one. We are throwing money at mediocre senior hurling and football teams and underage teams can't afford the basics such as tracksuits, socks, togs and jerseys. How many times have we had county board officials whinging over a few jerseys going missing, it a pathetic setup. Can't blame young lads for switching to soccer or rugby when they are far better looked after.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 746 - 29/05/2018 17:55:03    2105374

Link

From what I've heard plan is to play the two postponed league games this weekend (Loman's v TPass and Rosemount v Castledaly, I think). Rounds 8/9 of the league over next 3 weeks of June. League final early July and keep championship first round as expected around 21st July.

anon (None) - Posts: 293 - 29/05/2018 18:17:11    2105378

Link

A good performance by our u20s tonight v Dublin, imagine if they had their captain and main threat still playing for them, CRAZY decision from Colin Kelly

Moorehead (Westmeath) - Posts: 67 - 04/06/2018 21:02:07    2107437

Link

Replying To Moorehead:  "A good performance by our u20s tonight v Dublin, imagine if they had their captain and main threat still playing for them, CRAZY decision from Colin Kelly"
Questions to be asked of Kelly for sure. I heard today that Heslin declared himself out of the Armagh game last week and hasn't been at training since. That's his captain and vice captain who aren't around the squad any more, along with a few other important players not committed for various reasons. Then there's the few decisions that look foolish, such as the one you mention.

anon (None) - Posts: 293 - 05/06/2018 13:54:44    2107688

Link

Replying To anon:  "Questions to be asked of Kelly for sure. I heard today that Heslin declared himself out of the Armagh game last week and hasn't been at training since. That's his captain and vice captain who aren't around the squad any more, along with a few other important players not committed for various reasons. Then there's the few decisions that look foolish, such as the one you mention."
I think its fairly ominous for kelly,he won't be around next year,hence he did not care about finbar coyne,he owes it to coyne to guarantee the boy a starting position against armagh,it was a disgraceful decision and a lot of people should hang their heads in shame that this was done to a young man,this westmeath u20 team appears to be decent if they had finbar coyne they would be very strong,it annoys me to think what could have been if he had not played the senior game

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 733 - 05/06/2018 15:15:08    2107731

Link

Under 20s performance against Wexford was average. Wexford were better team for entire second half and would have won only for missed penalty. Coyne is a good player but seniors surely get priority.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 22 - 05/06/2018 17:24:27    2107781

Link

Replying To Bellewest:  "Under 20s performance against Wexford was average. Wexford were better team for entire second half and would have won only for missed penalty. Coyne is a good player but seniors surely get priority."
U20's were excellent against Wexford for 40 mins. They were 11 points up, how is that average Bellewest? Wexford had a penalty saved but Westmeath hit the crossbar once and the post 4 or 5 times so to say that Wexford should have won that game is ridiculous.

Lakesidegaaa (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 05/06/2018 18:51:37    2107811

Link

Replying To Lakesidegaaa:  "U20's were excellent against Wexford for 40 mins. They were 11 points up, how is that average Bellewest? Wexford had a penalty saved but Westmeath hit the crossbar once and the post 4 or 5 times so to say that Wexford should have won that game is ridiculous."
Agreed good performance, and even better 1 against Dublin. Future looks good, however don't think Coyne has ever done anything to merit such a statement that missing him against Dublin would have made much difference. Hopefully a result against Longford who were poor at the weekend will get us back on track...

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 87 - 05/06/2018 19:02:37    2107815

Link

Replying To footiemad:  "I think its fairly ominous for kelly,he won't be around next year,hence he did not care about finbar coyne,he owes it to coyne to guarantee the boy a starting position against armagh,it was a disgraceful decision and a lot of people should hang their heads in shame that this was done to a young man,this westmeath u20 team appears to be decent if they had finbar coyne they would be very strong,it annoys me to think what could have been if he had not played the senior game"
Can I ask what makes you think they are decent? 2 years ago they beat Longford by a few points and got hammered by Kildare. I wouldn't be getting excited just because they held a Dublin u20 team to 6 points.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 68 - 07/06/2018 11:48:01    2108324

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "Can I ask what makes you think they are decent? 2 years ago they beat Longford by a few points and got hammered by Kildare. I wouldn't be getting excited just because they held a Dublin u20 team to 6 points."
Very unfair to be making statements based on two years ago really...., were you at the Dublin match ? Thought they were excellent, and with a few changes to there game it would make a big difference. If you look at the minor team from two years ago, the full forward on this u20 team Sean Pettit was not on the starting team, now he is there main threat. They are by far a better team now this year than they were two years ago.

winghalf10 (Westmeath) - Posts: 15 - 07/06/2018 13:57:38    2108379

Link

Is Theo Watts still playing? He looked a decent prospect two years ago.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 837 - 07/06/2018 15:02:27    2108407

Link

Replying To winghalf10:  "Very unfair to be making statements based on two years ago really...., were you at the Dublin match ? Thought they were excellent, and with a few changes to there game it would make a big difference. If you look at the minor team from two years ago, the full forward on this u20 team Sean Pettit was not on the starting team, now he is there main threat. They are by far a better team now this year than they were two years ago."
I was not at the game but don't see how anyone can say they are a decent team on the back of one game. They where still 6 points off the pace. Our seniors beat Fermanagh in the league. Does this make them a decent team? This u20 team hasn't been developed since u14 like in the bigger counties. Damien Gavin turning up in a dressing room when they are 19/20 years of age wont make them any better at football. If these guys really cared they would be going back in with u14/15 development squads. Nothing personal against any member of management or players but these are facts. Agree on Sean Petit. Seen him in a few clubs games recently and he was shooting the lights out.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 68 - 08/06/2018 10:08:25    2108600

Link

Replying To the21yardline:  "I was not at the game but don't see how anyone can say they are a decent team on the back of one game. They where still 6 points off the pace. Our seniors beat Fermanagh in the league. Does this make them a decent team? This u20 team hasn't been developed since u14 like in the bigger counties. Damien Gavin turning up in a dressing room when they are 19/20 years of age wont make them any better at football. If these guys really cared they would be going back in with u14/15 development squads. Nothing personal against any member of management or players but these are facts. Agree on Sean Petit. Seen him in a few clubs games recently and he was shooting the lights out."
I think they are a decent team playing good football. Hopefully they will keep going for another while as the football needs a bit of the lift the way the seniors and minors have gone....
Are you suggesting coaches don't care because they don't get involved with development squads?

Lakesidegaaa (Westmeath) - Posts: 3 - 08/06/2018 17:49:04    2108762

Link

Replying To Lakesidegaaa:  "I think they are a decent team playing good football. Hopefully they will keep going for another while as the football needs a bit of the lift the way the seniors and minors have gone....
Are you suggesting coaches don't care because they don't get involved with development squads?"
to an extent yes.

the21yardline (Westmeath) - Posts: 68 - 13/06/2018 20:18:46    2111236

Link