Mayo Forum

The Back Door

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To davittsman:  "Good win in Limerick but regardless, to concede 3-7 was bad, worrying, and downright sloppy. We found out a few things though and one of them is Stephen Coen. Where is he going in this team set up, is he good enough, has he got what's required at the top level? The answer appears to be NO. He's got so many chances at this stage, no longer a raw recruit and always making mistakes, dropping easy ball which we will pay dearly for against top teams. Cian Hanley needs an awful lot more condition and skill to make a senior grade A footballer and he's far from that. I'd love to see A O' Shea in around the square and fed with proper ball, he would create mayhem in there and we've people to feed off him. Other than that we have to be 100% alert from the very off, really tighten up at the back and win dirty ball from midfield. Can't understand not using Vaughan for the 2nd half in centrefield, either that or we should have tried Cafferkey out there because he's not needed at full back, it's not a defined full back roll anymore. Ok, Tipp are next and if our manager is as cute as some seem to think, he'll have learned a lot from our last encounter with them and I expect a good win. They've some very dangerous players, we've got the men to counteract that but will that be done? Lets hope so. or it's bye bye daisy.
Oh, fair play to everyone with the greeting and applause for Tom Parsons. It's what its all about and i'm sure he and his family were touched."
I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but not so much about AOS. The issue with Aidan at ff is that the ball has to be very precise and if it is he'll do damage. What someone like Andy, Cillian or Jason does in there is more about movement which Aidan hasn't got... Andy additionally has a very low centre of gravity, which means that any over-commitment by his marker and he'll turn him. With Aidan it has to be ball into the chest (hail Mary stuff is no good to anyone), and executing that type of pass under pressure with bodies all over the place is a fairly tall order. Aidan would be better to run as a screen or decoy without the ball directly down the middle of a defence because he's going to make space for a shooter that way or draw a foul... the real dilemma is that he has very good hands and ball retention, but is patchy as a finisher, so would be a good distributor if he was a reliable ball winner. He must be a bit of an enigma to himself at this stage. He certainly is to me anyway, but I'd much rather have him than not, and one day his game or the game in general will swing his way.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1759 - 11/06/2018 19:31:34    2110199

Link

Replying To davittsman:  "Good win in Limerick but regardless, to concede 3-7 was bad, worrying, and downright sloppy. We found out a few things though and one of them is Stephen Coen. Where is he going in this team set up, is he good enough, has he got what's required at the top level? The answer appears to be NO. He's got so many chances at this stage, no longer a raw recruit and always making mistakes, dropping easy ball which we will pay dearly for against top teams. Cian Hanley needs an awful lot more condition and skill to make a senior grade A footballer and he's far from that. I'd love to see A O' Shea in around the square and fed with proper ball, he would create mayhem in there and we've people to feed off him. Other than that we have to be 100% alert from the very off, really tighten up at the back and win dirty ball from midfield. Can't understand not using Vaughan for the 2nd half in centrefield, either that or we should have tried Cafferkey out there because he's not needed at full back, it's not a defined full back roll anymore. Ok, Tipp are next and if our manager is as cute as some seem to think, he'll have learned a lot from our last encounter with them and I expect a good win. They've some very dangerous players, we've got the men to counteract that but will that be done? Lets hope so. or it's bye bye daisy.
Oh, fair play to everyone with the greeting and applause for Tom Parsons. It's what its all about and i'm sure he and his family were touched."
Vaughan wasnt fit to play. I think Coen is a defender and its a wonder he has never been tried at 3 or 6. He is not a midfielder and does not look comfortable carrying the ball forward. When Aidan goes inside the quality of vball going in is rarely good enough and as a result our best ball winner is out of the game. He needs to be in the middle third for me winning primary possesion. He is one of the best tacklers in the game.

The Limerick game wont tell us much really. They were poor and the pace of the game was not championship standard. It was no harm to get in for a few goals, something that we havent done enough of under Rochford.

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 12/06/2018 10:12:17    2110409

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "Vaughan wasnt fit to play. I think Coen is a defender and its a wonder he has never been tried at 3 or 6. He is not a midfielder and does not look comfortable carrying the ball forward. When Aidan goes inside the quality of vball going in is rarely good enough and as a result our best ball winner is out of the game. He needs to be in the middle third for me winning primary possesion. He is one of the best tacklers in the game.

The Limerick game wont tell us much really. They were poor and the pace of the game was not championship standard. It was no harm to get in for a few goals, something that we havent done enough of under Rochford."
Vaughan has been missed so far this year but its a poor reflection on the panel that there is no replacement for him or others missing. We have had a very poor return for the recently successful minor and under 21 teams. Only Diarmuid O Connor and Stephen Coen from these teams have been regular starters. Conor Loftus shows promise but fails to deliver. Also it looks like Coen just isn't good enough for senior inter county level football. He was a fair underage prospect but lacks the pace and aggression to make it at senior level. We should try Aidan at full forward for a few games. At the minute games just pass him by. His most effective period was in 2015 when he was left at full forward and was a handful for most full backs including Neil McGee

imonmyway (Mayo) - Posts: 100 - 12/06/2018 16:58:50    2110615

Link

Replying To imonmyway:  "Vaughan has been missed so far this year but its a poor reflection on the panel that there is no replacement for him or others missing. We have had a very poor return for the recently successful minor and under 21 teams. Only Diarmuid O Connor and Stephen Coen from these teams have been regular starters. Conor Loftus shows promise but fails to deliver. Also it looks like Coen just isn't good enough for senior inter county level football. He was a fair underage prospect but lacks the pace and aggression to make it at senior level. We should try Aidan at full forward for a few games. At the minute games just pass him by. His most effective period was in 2015 when he was left at full forward and was a handful for most full backs including Neil McGee"
A O Sheas best game was against Donegal in 2013 and most of that was at midfield going forward, so leave him at midfield and let him supply Andy and Cillian , who should stay inside the 30 metre line

culmore (None) - Posts: 1262 - 13/06/2018 10:04:52    2110890

Link

Replying To culmore:  "A O Sheas best game was against Donegal in 2013 and most of that was at midfield going forward, so leave him at midfield and let him supply Andy and Cillian , who should stay inside the 30 metre line"
Agreed this was his best game - as good as a performance by any midfielder in Croke Park in recent years but IMO he no longer has the fitness to play midfield. Also he takes too much out of the ball running into troube trying to break tackles. If he would use the ball better and sooner then yes maybe play him midfield

imonmyway (Mayo) - Posts: 100 - 13/06/2018 12:00:01    2110967

Link

I see Maurice is the man in the middle again, God help us

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1236 - 13/06/2018 12:15:47    2110985

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "I see Maurice is the man in the middle again, God help us"
Ah come off giving out about the ref before the game is even played.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9084 - 14/06/2018 21:42:34    2111646

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Ah come off giving out about the ref before the game is even played."
Agree, as a county we are particularly bad for that crack. It gets you nowhere

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 15/06/2018 10:52:43    2111745

Link

I know what you guys mean but to be fair, maybe broader point is allocation of refs seems a bit weird by times

Is it just me or does Joe McQuillan and Maurice Deegan officiate for a an awful lot of Dublin matches, particularly when we are involved?

Maybe stats may say otherwise, but it appears that way?

soulman (Mayo) - Posts: 28 - 15/06/2018 13:52:07    2111854

Link

Mayo players, management and co board officials say nothing about refs yet get shafted in a number of big games, it's the supporters who are taking the bull by the horns and giving out about ref performances, for far too long too many counties are like sheep afraid to say anything and following the rest of the flock keeping stump on issues, if the people on the pitch said more then maybe we'd get better standard of refereeing. We've already had big issues around decisions especially in the hurling championship

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1236 - 16/06/2018 12:00:53    2112067

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "Agree, as a county we are particularly bad for that crack. It gets you nowhere"
We are known as moaners by other counties...time to suck it up. There is no conspiracy

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9084 - 17/06/2018 08:01:29    2112219

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "We are known as moaners by other counties...time to suck it up. There is no conspiracy"
To be fair Yew the supporters of every county complain about refs, and some far more than Mayo supporters. I think most people are just fed up with the inconsistency, although some of that is down to naivety. Having looked at the Conn final on the box today it seemed to me that only one side were really testing the ref, and they won the game. Shows that Galway are further down the road than Roscommon, because pushing the boundaries is what all top sides have to do (in all sports) to win on a consistent basis. We've been asserting ourselves in that regard for years.

I saw someone speculate that if we survive the qualifiers and so do Tyrone, we could end up in a Super 8 group with them, Kerry and Galway, assuming Kerry beat Cork in the Munster final. Only Galway there so far and a lot of football to be played to join them.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1759 - 17/06/2018 19:11:08    2112362

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "To be fair Yew the supporters of every county complain about refs, and some far more than Mayo supporters. I think most people are just fed up with the inconsistency, although some of that is down to naivety. Having looked at the Conn final on the box today it seemed to me that only one side were really testing the ref, and they won the game. Shows that Galway are further down the road than Roscommon, because pushing the boundaries is what all top sides have to do (in all sports) to win on a consistent basis. We've been asserting ourselves in that regard for years.

I saw someone speculate that if we survive the qualifiers and so do Tyrone, we could end up in a Super 8 group with them, Kerry and Galway, assuming Kerry beat Cork in the Munster final. Only Galway there so far and a lot of football to be played to join them."
True enough...it just drives me mad to see people complain about the ref before the game is even played.

I'd love Mayo to get another crack at Galway if we make it to the super 8s

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9084 - 17/06/2018 19:22:42    2112368

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "True enough...it just drives me mad to see people complain about the ref before the game is even played.

I'd love Mayo to get another crack at Galway if we make it to the super 8s"
It'd be great to meet them in Croker. Haven't done that since 2001 when we beat them in the league final. Mind you they went on to win the AI later that year... it'd be something to turn the tables on that!

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1759 - 17/06/2018 21:54:49    2112439

Link

Replying To Pericles:  "It'd be great to meet them in Croker. Haven't done that since 2001 when we beat them in the league final. Mind you they went on to win the AI later that year... it'd be something to turn the tables on that!"
We beat them in a league semi in croker in 2007 but the league means very little. I think we would take them in Croker

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 18/06/2018 14:57:09    2112675

Link

Replying To unclegerry:  "We beat them in a league semi in croker in 2007 but the league means very little. I think we would take them in Croker"
You're the superior historian Gerry... forgot about that one. But it'd be good to repeat the dose in the championship when it matters. Got to get out of Thurles first. Can't afford to give Tipp a good start... they'll be pretty motivated without giving them extra oxygen.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 1759 - 18/06/2018 18:42:35    2112774

Link