Wicklow Forum

Senior Footballers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A disappointing result after an absorbing sporting game. The loss of Anto McLoughlin early on took a real threat from the attack. I would have to agree with the above poster that fresh legs were needed earlier as the pace and energy shown was extraordinary for this time of the year. The players and management despite the disappointment must have been impressed with the committment and efforts shown by all the players. It has to be a concern however that we still lack natural scoring forwards and that we had to rely upon the magical Jackson for five scores. Without him we would still have a poor scoring average as in the last few years. We must remember that this is a very young crop of mostly inexperienced county players but they did all they could to win the points today and left everthing on the field of play. A sharp learning curve but this group have to be admired for their fitness levels ,committment and never say die attitude. Well done despite the result.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 7 - 03/02/2019 20:30:36    2162223

Link

The footballers really brought the day up for me yesterday after our terrible result in the hurling. Lads will learn a lot from this game and ones like it. i think manager has got something happening and think we will have better days.

hurlingnut (Wicklow) - Posts: 179 - 04/02/2019 12:29:34    2162457

Link

Hard luck to the Wicklow footballers yesterday.. I was at the game and you gave a great battling display from a young team and are much improved from my last visit there..ye defended well and your midfield won most of the breaks...you were physical and fit... we were very lucky to get the win and were not 4 points better.

liatroim_abu (Leitrim) - Posts: 76 - 04/02/2019 22:35:32    2162652

Link

Replying To liatroim_abu:  "Hard luck to the Wicklow footballers yesterday.. I was at the game and you gave a great battling display from a young team and are much improved from my last visit there..ye defended well and your midfield won most of the breaks...you were physical and fit... we were very lucky to get the win and were not 4 points better."
Another 2 pts. Pity about that silly Leitrim goal last week. I couldn't make it today either so I had to rely on our erstwhile commentator. Again his fascination with names. Mostly gets them wrong including the score. Wrong man with the Limerick goal, wrong man sent off. I could go on. "Isn't that right Patrick"
Poor old Patrick has his hands full. Back to the game. A win is a win but I think we made it hard for ourselves. I'd like to think we are better than that or the two away games will be challenging. I know it is difficult to work things out from a commentary particularly ours, but it seems as if we are building strengths in the vital areas. The spine of the team seems to be developing. Our two imports working well. Great to see so many yoinger players being blooded. Maybe it's safe to express a little optimism at long last.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 10/02/2019 15:52:25    2164041

Link

Well done to all the players for a bàttling performance in the second half against the wind to take the points and keep our hopes alive. I honestly thought our goose was cooked after the first half with only a slender lead,a lack of bite compared to last week and the stiff wind to face in the second half. This group showed that they have grit and effort by their display in the second half and will get better I expect as fitness levels improve even more and the ground gets firmer.
However can someone explain the managements tactics of the first half of playing two extra defenders with the strong wind behind us and not pushing up on the two extra Limerick defenders or not playing our full forward line deep to threaten the Limerick goal with thhe wind or not giving even one long kickout when Jackson is capable of driving the ball 60 metres with the wind behind him or attempting the mark in the full forward line. Such poor tactics I fear will not bear fruit in future games.

Optimisticobserver (Wicklow) - Posts: 7 - 10/02/2019 18:11:11    2164163

Link

I for one was expecting a better second half display that we got . We as a county do not know how to play with the benefit of such strong weather conditions. In the second half we were more efficient with the ball and showed real grit. Limerick made better use of the offensive mark in the second half. I don't think we even had an offensive mark in the entire game, I could be wrong. Credit where credit is due , we now have two wins on the board. Onwards and upwards.

61123 (Wicklow) - Posts: 72 - 10/02/2019 18:48:40    2164181

Link

Replying To Optimisticobserver:  "Well done to all the players for a bàttling performance in the second half against the wind to take the points and keep our hopes alive. I honestly thought our goose was cooked after the first half with only a slender lead,a lack of bite compared to last week and the stiff wind to face in the second half. This group showed that they have grit and effort by their display in the second half and will get better I expect as fitness levels improve even more and the ground gets firmer.
However can someone explain the managements tactics of the first half of playing two extra defenders with the strong wind behind us and not pushing up on the two extra Limerick defenders or not playing our full forward line deep to threaten the Limerick goal with thhe wind or not giving even one long kickout when Jackson is capable of driving the ball 60 metres with the wind behind him or attempting the mark in the full forward line. Such poor tactics I fear will not bear fruit in future games."
From what I could gauge from the confusion of the commentary you appear to have a few good points on our tactics in the first half. Commentators were a bit agitated about them too. Mentioned numerous times about Wicklow not pushing up. Nearly the first move from Limerick in the first half was to drop a high one in on the full forward line and got a score. Apparently we hadn't tried that move at all in the first half. Derry and Leitrim unbeaten. That means we must beat Derry - away - and see where the cards fall as they and Leitrim have yet to play obviously. Barring a draw, that should open the league up a bit. A pretty tall order for us especially as Derry are building up a head of steam. Lots to look forward to. Two wins ?? A few yrs since we managed that.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 63 - 10/02/2019 19:04:26    2164194

Link

It actually was a strange game. Limerick were great into the win in the first half but stopped doing their good work in the second half. They took off no9 who was the best player on the pitch which was really strange. They just never seemed to push on. Their Full forward was super in the first half but they never got ball to him in the second half with the the wind.

Wicklow on the other-hand had an insane wind in the first half but never took any advantage of it. Far to much lateral passing and trying to walk the ball in. The slow play allow Limerick to fall back and cover. Both corner forwards barely got a kick at the ball which must have been beyond frustrating. The second half was a different story where more forward drive and pure grit and determination won it.

Thought Theo Smith really showed up in the second half and was surprised when he was take off. The half backs of Shane Mooney and particularly Darragh Fitzgerald were excellent.

ponger (Cavan) - Posts: 402 - 10/02/2019 22:54:43    2164330

Link

Good result - 4 pts ...maybe

curnew (Wicklow) - Posts: 440 - 11/02/2019 00:17:12    2164352

Link

Great win yesterday for you which puts you back in the promotion mix. I was delighted to see you beat Limerick as it has done us somewhat of a favour so thank you for that. Antrim away is looking like the key game for you now.

For those Wicklow follows who were in Aughrim the past two sundays what are limerick like? Having seen both us and them play what are your thoughts? We have them below in Limerick in two weeks time.

Of course you will be hoping Limerick beat us which is fully understandable ;)

juande_ramos (Leitrim) - Posts: 26 - 11/02/2019 08:10:31    2164377

Link

i was at match yesterday and it was a great display for wicklow . in my view i think there needs to be better support for wicklow in football and hurling . there was not that many from wicklow in the stand in wicklow .

lor12 (Wicklow) - Posts: 97 - 13/02/2019 15:52:22    2165160

Link