Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Club Boundaries

(Oldest Posts First)

This was posted as a new thread on the Main Forum but has been incorporated here.

JXV
Mayo

04/05/2018
00:29

Hi, I've been working on a google map that maps out every GAA club's catchment area/parish as accurately as possible. In Westmeath they don't seem to use the parish system the same way other counties do so it's hard to tell where club's draw from. A few questions, Where do players from Street and Rathowen Parishes play for? Do Athlone and Garrycastle have general areas of support or do they pick from the same area?

Administrator (None) - Posts: 2148 - 04/05/2018 08:37:55    2096566

Link

To be honest it's impossible to draw such a map.You can have neighbours playing with different clubs.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 821 - 04/05/2018 10:16:44    2096585

Link

To partly answer your question I would say Rathowen or Streete would either play with Bunbrosna or Multyfarnham. Streete once had its own club then it was amalgamated with Multy. Then Multy went out under their own banner and Streete folded . Now I think Streete has or had some underage amalgamation with Bunbrosna.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 821 - 04/05/2018 12:32:00    2096624

Link

Clonkill's catchment area ranges from anywhere this side of the Shannon.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 65 - 04/05/2018 12:51:46    2096627

Link

Replying To JohnyDuncan:  "Clonkill's catchment area ranges from anywhere this side of the Shannon."
Raharney goes from ballivor to rochfortbridge
Castletown from Ballinea to Moate

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1514 - 04/05/2018 13:25:57    2096637

Link

Replying To Administrator:  "This was posted as a new thread on the Main Forum but has been incorporated here.

JXV
Mayo

04/05/2018

Hi, I've been working on a google map that maps out every GAA club's catchment area/parish as accurately as possible. In Westmeath they don't seem to use the parish system the same way other counties do so it's hard to tell where club's draw from. A few questions, Where do players from Street and Rathowen Parishes play for? Do Athlone and Garrycastle have general areas of support or do they pick from the same area?"
This this would be a very worthwhile exercise. I know that there is no parish rule in Westmeath, and we all have our thoughts on that, but it would be good to see what the catchment areas were traditionally as some people may have forgotten or may never have known.

The parish rule is totally gone in my opinion. It has been ruined by parents chasing success for their kids by bringing them to the bigger clubs or else to the club they (the parent) played for regardless of where they live. A child should play for a club they have some connection to via either where they live or where they go to National school. If a club is too weak to allow them to compete then the club should be amalgamated with another. A child shouldnt have to leave a club because they cannot compete.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 464 - 04/05/2018 14:16:32    2096650

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "
Replying To Administrator:  "This was posted as a new thread on the Main Forum but has been incorporated here.

JXV
Mayo

04/05/2018

Hi, I've been working on a google map that maps out every GAA club's catchment area/parish as accurately as possible. In Westmeath they don't seem to use the parish system the same way other counties do so it's hard to tell where club's draw from. A few questions, Where do players from Street and Rathowen Parishes play for? Do Athlone and Garrycastle have general areas of support or do they pick from the same area?"
This this would be a very worthwhile exercise. I know that there is no parish rule in Westmeath, and we all have our thoughts on that, but it would be good to see what the catchment areas were traditionally as some people may have forgotten or may never have known.

The parish rule is totally gone in my opinion. It has been ruined by parents chasing success for their kids by bringing them to the bigger clubs or else to the club they (the parent) played for regardless of where they live. A child should play for a club they have some connection to via either where they live or where they go to National school. If a club is too weak to allow them to compete then the club should be amalgamated with another. A child shouldnt have to leave a club because they cannot compete."
Interesting topic. Some teams do take advantage....and of course the small clubs suffer. Blow ins are the problem ..remember Shamrocks in their glory days, .... and I don`t think all the Loman`s lads at the moment are home grown.

jfd (Westmeath) - Posts: 158 - 04/05/2018 15:06:18    2096664

Link

jfd - you'll always have blow in's and nothing you can do about it. And yes, some clubs are recruiting actively in areas they really shouldnt be but if the club in that area are not bothering to recruit in their own back yard then who really is at fault there. A club can no longer assume that a child is going to play for them just because he lives in the area. While i'd like that to be the case it just doesnt happen anymore.

Its just another one of those things which will be to the cost of the GAA in the future. Its Super 8 mentality at a much lower level.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 464 - 04/05/2018 15:53:17    2096680

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Raharney goes from ballivor to rochfortbridge
Castletown from Ballinea to Moate"
Get your facts right Ballivor lads play with Killdalkey
Bridge/ Milltownpass lads play with St Brigids

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 334 - 04/05/2018 21:03:42    2096726

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "jfd - you'll always have blow in's and nothing you can do about it. And yes, some clubs are recruiting actively in areas they really shouldnt be but if the club in that area are not bothering to recruit in their own back yard then who really is at fault there. A club can no longer assume that a child is going to play for them just because he lives in the area. While i'd like that to be the case it just doesnt happen anymore.

Its just another one of those things which will be to the cost of the GAA in the future. Its Super 8 mentality at a much lower level."
Why should GAA clubs have to go out and recruit? They're not professional clubs!
In every other county they just seem to have the parish rule and get on with other stuff

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1514 - 04/05/2018 23:10:31    2096752

Link

A great idea for a project - fair play to you! Looking forward to seeing your results and definitely somthing worth talking about.
I know around the Delvin/Brownstown area its a proper minefield at the moment. In nearby Clonmellon (St. Pauls) you also have the issue of the Meath-Westmeath boarder running straight the parish which causes further complications with players living in the parish playing for the neighbouring Meath clubs of Clann na nGael (Athboy) and Ballinlough - crazy stuff!
Id love to know what the official rule book says or can you just go and play with whatever club suit you.

Boarderboy (Meath) - Posts: 78 - 05/05/2018 20:48:19    2096851

Link

Replying To valley84:  "Why should GAA clubs have to go out and recruit? They're not professional clubs!
In every other county they just seem to have the parish rule and get on with other stuff"
Because there is no parish rule in Westmeath. If you dont recruit these days you wont get the players. Maybe where you are from the players come to your club willingly but in other areas where they are a number of clubs you have to put in some effort to get these players. Shouldnt be the way.

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 464 - 08/05/2018 10:30:43    2097219

Link

Replying To Meridian:  "Because there is no parish rule in Westmeath. If you dont recruit these days you wont get the players. Maybe where you are from the players come to your club willingly but in other areas where they are a number of clubs you have to put in some effort to get these players. Shouldnt be the way."
what ever about clubs actively looking for underage players they will be u 8 or 10s so still a lot of work to bring them up to minor or senior. often seen that players not from local area do not get same chances at senior compared to local players. But my issue with boundaries is when I see lotto from neighbouring clubs in there neighbours club town village especially in country villages,

madbull (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 08/05/2018 11:13:56    2097236

Link

JXV
Mayo

04/05/2018

An interesting project though the territories of various clubs seem to change over time. Taking the Bunbrosna club as an example, at one time their area stretched from Rathowen on the Longford border right up to Mullingar. Both Street and Rathowen had their own clubs at different times over the decades. At the moment Bun are quite confined as the resurgent Multyfarnham club has re-established itself. When the Rathowen club went out of existence their players saved Bun from a similar fate. Their contribution is still keeping them from sinking even though Bun blocked them from having their own club. At the opening of Bunbrosna's pitch, the then County Chairman said that Bun "were unusual in that they have no base". That said it all.

dbpcmi (Westmeath) - Posts: 30 - 09/05/2018 10:52:11    2097483

Link