Westmeath Forum

Westmeath U17 Footballers

(Oldest Posts First)

I see the Leinster championship kicks off on Bank Holiday Monday 7th May with a home game v Meath @ 2pm.
We are in group 1 along with Louth, Dublin, Wicklow, Offaly and the Royals.
3 games before the Leaving and then 2 after.
Top 2 teams go into semi finals.
So, where are we with these lads ?
On the back of Colaiste Mhuire's All Ireland and the Marist reaching a Leinster Final, we must be in reasonable shape.
I believe the manager is Martin McCabe of Tubberclair and Tommy Kelly from The Downs is also involved.
I hope things have improved from last year's Gerry Reilly U16 tournament where they lost to Dublin, Wicklow and Monaghan.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 538 - 29/04/2018 15:13:12    2095585

Link

I was at this game on Saturday. It was frightening how much better Meath were. The future unfortunately looks very bleak on the football front. Last year the minors were hammered by Offaly and then they were beaten at home by Carlow. I'm sure some good work is being done at underage level but perhaps we just don't have enough quality players coming through. We always seems to do well at schools levels so there must be some decent players there? I thought Jack Torpey looked a good prospect.

Does anyone know how the u20's are doing?

On a different note, number 9 (Cian McBride) for Meath is going to be a serious player! Meath really have got their house in order at underage level and they hammered Dublin in the U17 Leinster final last year.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 829 - 08/05/2018 12:23:54    2097258

Link

Meath's dominance was throughout the field but especially at centerfield. Two excellent players there but we were very slow to make changes in that area. We didn't score a point in the second half and Meath took off their key players in the last 15 mins. Darragh seery looked promising and Jack Torpey but our forwards didn't gel at all.

Bellewest (Westmeath) - Posts: 13 - 08/05/2018 14:50:35    2097296

Link

Replying To Matthew:  "I was at this game on Saturday. It was frightening how much better Meath were. The future unfortunately looks very bleak on the football front. Last year the minors were hammered by Offaly and then they were beaten at home by Carlow. I'm sure some good work is being done at underage level but perhaps we just don't have enough quality players coming through. We always seems to do well at schools levels so there must be some decent players there? I thought Jack Torpey looked a good prospect.

Does anyone know how the u20's are doing?

On a different note, number 9 (Cian McBride) for Meath is going to be a serious player! Meath really have got their house in order at underage level and they hammered Dublin in the U17 Leinster final last year."
That's if the Aussies don't get him...

ziggy320001 (Meath) - Posts: 2415 - 13/05/2018 22:46:16    2100260

Link

Offaly next up tonight, not a dicky bird anywhere on-line about it.
Westmeath website doesn't do county fixtures !

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 538 - 23/05/2018 16:37:26    2103334

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Offaly next up tonight, not a dicky bird anywhere on-line about it.
Westmeath website doesn't do county fixtures !"
Given the results, do we really want to be publicising it!!

Meridian (Westmeath) - Posts: 454 - 24/05/2018 09:36:19    2103462

Link