Dublin Forum

Championship Vs. Champions League

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To waynoI:  "could have it as a 4pm game on the Saturday if they wanted, that way It wouldn't clash with the champions league final.

Didn't they move the Dublin v Meath throw in time in 2016 to accodate Ireland v France in the euros ?

As a Liverpool fan, If we get to the champions league final (a first since 05) and it happens to clash with a Dublin game then I personally feel ive more than enough credit in the bank to dodge this absolute non-event and fly into Liverpool amd spend the weekend there to watch the match as Kiev is just a bit out of my financial capabilities at the moment."
To honest to me supporting an English soccer club or any foreign club as an Irish person is an anathema to me.
But Ireland is not alone in "supporting" English soccer teams they do it in the far East, Africa, Scandinavia and the likes.
It is just consumers following a brand claiming to have this "identity" with a foreign club in a foreign country it is a joke.
You can tell the age of most Premier League supporting Irish people by the team they support - they were doing well when they were 10. (A few exceptions where the Irish father ropes in the Irish son)
Most fellas in thier 40 ish / 50 ish supports liverpool/leeds
Fellas in thier 30 ish Manchester united / Liverpool
There are lot of fellas in thier 20 ish support chelsea/man city (there would have been f**k all of those jerseys 20 years ago).

It is just brand following like those people who turn up on AI final day because of the hype.
I can't understand how the brand and marketing completely blinds people to thier own domestic soccer.
The real kick in the teeth is that there are full houses in the aviva for meaningless soccer friendlies during the summer when the Premier League team is barely breaking a sweat.
For good money as well!
Meanwhile most Irish soccer games wouldn't get near to filling Parnell Park!

I don't get it have people not got minds of thier own when it comes to soccer?

I wonder are thier many Meath people who are supporting Dublin because they have done well for last seven years?
:D

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 934 - 15/05/2018 21:01:41    2101166

Link

Replying To gormdubhgorm:  "To honest to me supporting an English soccer club or any foreign club as an Irish person is an anathema to me.
But Ireland is not alone in "supporting" English soccer teams they do it in the far East, Africa, Scandinavia and the likes.
It is just consumers following a brand claiming to have this "identity" with a foreign club in a foreign country it is a joke.
You can tell the age of most Premier League supporting Irish people by the team they support - they were doing well when they were 10. (A few exceptions where the Irish father ropes in the Irish son)
Most fellas in thier 40 ish / 50 ish supports liverpool/leeds
Fellas in thier 30 ish Manchester united / Liverpool
There are lot of fellas in thier 20 ish support chelsea/man city (there would have been f**k all of those jerseys 20 years ago).

It is just brand following like those people who turn up on AI final day because of the hype.
I can't understand how the brand and marketing completely blinds people to thier own domestic soccer.
The real kick in the teeth is that there are full houses in the aviva for meaningless soccer friendlies during the summer when the Premier League team is barely breaking a sweat.
For good money as well!
Meanwhile most Irish soccer games wouldn't get near to filling Parnell Park!

I don't get it have people not got minds of thier own when it comes to soccer?

I wonder are thier many Meath people who are supporting Dublin because they have done well for last seven years?
:D"
Couldn't have put it better myself

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 342 - 15/05/2018 21:28:30    2101171

Link