Carlow Forum

The Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Blackbog:  "I have not being on here for a while - just enjoying the reality.
you can say what you like about Kildare- we were 7/1 to win - huge odds in a two horse race - I thought the team were superb and I loved Stephen Poacher at his manic best

I forecast back in March that we would beat Louth and give Kildare a bit of a rattle but lose to them, followed by a run in the back door- well we are in bonus territtiory now

Would be great to make Leinster Final and have a crack at super 8s qualification

whilst I think we can beat Leix , we have to not just overcome them but overcome Croke Park - Its a graveyard historically for our footballers - going back to the fifities and beyond - When was the last time our footballers won there. I actually hate watching games there when there is less than 40K in attendance
Anyway we can beat Leix and history does not always dictate the future"
Agree re Croaker - much better in a provincial venue - imagine the buzz if in NCP ...

Certainly think we are in with a shout but it will be a tall order - one thing is Laois will be thinking ahead to Dublin subconsciously- they would consider a final as their rightful place and us as an inconvenient speed bump to navigate. One thing going for us is this is the best prepared Senior Carlow team ever in every respect and we had an off day against them in the final

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 407 - 01/06/2018 21:24:04    2106360

Link

County boards get a rough time when performances are poor.
I am no expert but i think hats off to Carlow CB
We are a small county with the same competition from other sports as else where.
Since January 2018 The senior hurlers and footballers have played a total of 20 league and Championship games and have won 16 lf them.
We just two narrow losses for both codes.

Not bad for a small duel county

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 316 - 05/06/2018 11:50:15    2107625

Link

On the subject of Croke Park. I don't want to be smart, but there is nothing to overcome or to be worried about. It's just a mixture of grass, metal and concrete.

If you mean we need to overcome our poor attitude to Croke Park then that's another thing. I'm certain the management will deal with this if the players have an issue with it.

As I've said before I believe this will be our toughest test yet. Laois are a talented and tenacious side and they will fancy their chances of beating us. As another contributor says they may even have half an eye on the Dublin game. I hope so.

I believe Carlow will beat Laois, but by the narrowest of margins. I have great faith in the management and this group of players. They have the momentum and confidence to pull it off.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 106 - 05/06/2018 13:19:54    2107663

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "On the subject of Croke Park. I don't want to be smart, but there is nothing to overcome or to be worried about. It's just a mixture of grass, metal and concrete.

If you mean we need to overcome our poor attitude to Croke Park then that's another thing. I'm certain the management will deal with this if the players have an issue with it.

As I've said before I believe this will be our toughest test yet. Laois are a talented and tenacious side and they will fancy their chances of beating us. As another contributor says they may even have half an eye on the Dublin game. I hope so.

I believe Carlow will beat Laois, but by the narrowest of margins. I have great faith in the management and this group of players. They have the momentum and confidence to pull it off."
Thats it exactly. I am talking about a psychological barrier. Paul Broderick admitted that it affected him
But no better tea. to right the wrongs and move on.
I am also nernous but have aot of faith

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 316 - 05/06/2018 18:00:43    2107797

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Thats it exactly. I am talking about a psychological barrier. Paul Broderick admitted that it affected him
But no better tea. to right the wrongs and move on.
I am also nernous but have aot of faith"
In golf, they say a new rookie on the pga tour needs to get himself in to contention on the final nine holes of the final round and make a complete hash of it once before he can even begin to understand what the pressure is like getting home and winning a tournament.

I suspect what our Paul experienced is not peculiar to him, Carlow or Gaelic football. Hopefully that experience will stand to him next Sunday.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - Posts: 106 - 06/06/2018 14:25:15    2108079

Link

Did I not hear on 'Off The Ball' interview with Turlough that Paul used new boots in Croker that day? Silly, but I believe he threw them in the bin that evening. Went back to his tried and trusted for the Louth and Kildare games. Paul has too much experience to be overawed by Croker. He kicked 100% of his frees vs Kildare despite players in front trying to throw him off.

fullbach (Carlow) - Posts: 203 - 06/06/2018 14:42:25    2108086

Link