Carlow Forum

The Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Tough one lads. It has happend to us a few times. The states will not come looking for your average players. Louth have been shocking this year but I think there will be a kick somewhere!! I cant say we are dissapointed about Murphy, class act.

joej (Louth) - Posts: 1365 - 24/04/2018 17:09:50    2094798

Link

Replying To joej:  "Tough one lads. It has happend to us a few times. The states will not come looking for your average players. Louth have been shocking this year but I think there will be a kick somewhere!! I cant say we are dissapointed about Murphy, class act."
I actually wouldnt begrudge any player if they let everyone know at the begining of the year, but by decideing to go to USA in the last minute he has wasted all the coaches preperation time to make plans and tactics for our championship. This is utter betreyal and disrespect for his teammates, managemnet and his county, just when you think we can finally achieve something for the first time in years. You can call it what you want but this is a wrong stunt to pull at this time of the year, and I appreciate its an amature game but out of principle he should have commited 100% or not at all. There were 70 lads at county trials earlier this year eager to get a chance to line out for Carlow what does this move send to those?

arsebiscuits (Carlow) - Posts: 16 - 24/04/2018 19:18:28    2094815

Link

Replying To arsebiscuits:  "I actually wouldnt begrudge any player if they let everyone know at the begining of the year, but by decideing to go to USA in the last minute he has wasted all the coaches preperation time to make plans and tactics for our championship. This is utter betreyal and disrespect for his teammates, managemnet and his county, just when you think we can finally achieve something for the first time in years. You can call it what you want but this is a wrong stunt to pull at this time of the year, and I appreciate its an amature game but out of principle he should have commited 100% or not at all. There were 70 lads at county trials earlier this year eager to get a chance to line out for Carlow what does this move send to those?"
It is wrong to judge without the facts. However just to say he has a bit of previous for bailing out late.
What a shame as if you read his biography on Wikipedia it is only this year he has got his discipline together.
I am convinced we will have a good run including beating Louth.

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 270 - 24/04/2018 19:42:40    2094817

Link

We don't own the players and Brendan has soldiered with the county for a long time.

Great opportunity for a young person to travel so let's just get on with it now.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 729 - 24/04/2018 19:59:46    2094820

Link

Just came on to say good luck to you Brendan enjoy it all while you can. Getting promoted to div.3 was massive for the county but I'm not sure if it would have happened without Brendan's ability's and help.
Carlow had two chances against Laois, both playing from div 4 but missed out narrowly at the end, even with Brendan on board.
Playing Louth is a much bigger ask than any game Carlow played in the league with or without Brendan, as far back as I can remember Louth were always a serious threat going into any championship game irrespective of league results, and they are still a div. 2 side in a kind of way.
However even without Brendan for the Louth game all is not doom and gloom, perhaps it's awake up call that's coming at the right time.

Where I get my glimmer of hope from is going back to our championship win over Louth in 2011, Louth were in my view de facto Leinster champions going into that game and we beat them by 3 or 4 points, now will someone tell me when was the last time Carlow beat de facto leinster champions, I understand things have changed for both counties since 2011.??

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1720 - 24/04/2018 21:38:33    2094842

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Just came on to say good luck to you Brendan enjoy it all while you can. Getting promoted to div.3 was massive for the county but I'm not sure if it would have happened without Brendan's ability's and help.
Carlow had two chances against Laois, both playing from div 4 but missed out narrowly at the end, even with Brendan on board.
Playing Louth is a much bigger ask than any game Carlow played in the league with or without Brendan, as far back as I can remember Louth were always a serious threat going into any championship game irrespective of league results, and they are still a div. 2 side in a kind of way.
However even without Brendan for the Louth game all is not doom and gloom, perhaps it's awake up call that's coming at the right time.

Where I get my glimmer of hope from is going back to our championship win over Louth in 2011, Louth were in my view de facto Leinster champions going into that game and we beat them by 3 or 4 points, now will someone tell me when was the last time Carlow beat de facto leinster champions, I understand things have changed for both counties since 2011.??"
You are right SB it is not all doom and gloom we got 4 players on the irish indo Div 4 team. Two backs , a foward and Brendan. If we had won the final i would argue Gannon and S Murphy would have been im contention.
We have one of the best young players in the country in Jordam Morrissey, the secomd highest scorer in the league in P Broderick. We have a virtually untried but stromg bench and some real leaderss in J murphy, S Gannon , DNiel St ledger and D Foley.
We are a well balance team. Some of the forward movement agaonst Laois was brilliant.
So let Brendan enjoy the last of his youth in the US and welcome him back when we tackle Div 3 next January .
My prediction for championship is
4 point win against Louth
3 point loss to Kildare
Win round one and two and three in play offs narrowly
Lose with heads held high in Last 12 to Ulster team yet to be determined.

Roll on the Summer.
Also i predict a Laois V Dublin leinster final

Blackbog (Carlow) - Posts: 270 - 24/04/2018 22:13:41    2094850

Link

I don't think we will beat Louth, hope I'm proven wrong on that but from what I heard the training has been flat and with poacher out for a while too the whole thing has lost a bit of drive. Now there is a few weeks to get it going again but I think we maybe had our year already. There was a huge effort put in for the league I think it will be very hard to get ourselves back up to that level again this year.

Barrowsider (Carlow) - Posts: 1073 - 24/04/2018 23:07:27    2094871

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I don't think we will beat Louth, hope I'm proven wrong on that but from what I heard the training has been flat and with poacher out for a while too the whole thing has lost a bit of drive. Now there is a few weeks to get it going again but I think we maybe had our year already. There was a huge effort put in for the league I think it will be very hard to get ourselves back up to that level again this year."
Ya it wouldn't take much for the wheels to come off the wagon ... lots of wishful thinking going on here. Also Poacher must be wondering what sort of set up he is involved with ... long odds on enticing him to stay next season.

Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 396 - 25/04/2018 10:17:35    2094904

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I don't think we will beat Louth, hope I'm proven wrong on that but from what I heard the training has been flat and with poacher out for a while too the whole thing has lost a bit of drive. Now there is a few weeks to get it going again but I think we maybe had our year already. There was a huge effort put in for the league I think it will be very hard to get ourselves back up to that level again this year."
Why has Poacher not been around lately????? He is the key to the whole thing

Hometown45 (Carlow) - Posts: 109 - 25/04/2018 10:25:42    2094906

Link

Understandable enough I suppose that mentally and well as physically things might have gone flat. Might be no harm though to have a bit of a lull but it would the intensity need to pick up around now I would think. If Poacher is not around then that's a concern as, no disrespect to anyone, he is clearly the key to our success this past year or so. Brendan Murphy leaving the panel will make it harder also to pick things up unfortunately.

Having said that, we can beat Louth who are not without problems themselves, and what a buzz there will be if we do, with a game against Kildare to come two weeks later (which I presume we'll have at home).

Onion Breath (Carlow) - Posts: 999 - 25/04/2018 10:51:24    2094911

Link

Disappointed to hear about Murphy

Hugely talented player and for me could walk into the Dubs midfield

All the best to him but disappointed for yiz.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 17981 - 25/04/2018 11:53:21    2094930

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "Ya it wouldn't take much for the wheels to come off the wagon ... lots of wishful thinking going on here. Also Poacher must be wondering what sort of set up he is involved with ... long odds on enticing him to stay next season."
Ya it wouldn't take much for the wheels to come off the wagon ... lots of wishful thinking going on here. Also Poacher must be wondering what sort of set up he is involved with ... long odds on enticing him to stay next season.
Bainisteoir (National) - Posts: 396 - 25/04/2018 10:17:35 2094904

It doesn't take much for one to become negative either, can I suggest that the wheels were off the wagon for 33 long years, Stephen Poacher knew quiet well the sort of set up he was getting involved with, the history was there and all that went with it, but he volunteered himself and bought into the cause, both he and TO'B pulled out all the stops and got the wheels back on the wagon and promotion to div.3
My focus and priority would be staying in div. 3 next year, that's not wishful thinking may I add.
Should Poacher make himself available for 2019 season he would be more than welcome, if not then so be it, Brendan Murphy will have to be replaced, Marty Kavanagh will have to be replaced, Stephen Poacher would have to be replaced, all reluctantly though.
In the mean time the wheels are very much on the wagon.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 1720 - 25/04/2018 12:56:23    2094948

Link

I agree with that supersub.

Best year that both teams have had for decades and 2 young men decide to go to the states for the summer.

Fair play to them both, hope they enjoy the experience and come back to star for Carlow again next summer.

As for the people saying that it reflects badly on Carlow, it's happening in every county.

Look at Jack mcaffery taking the year out to go to Africa instead of winning an All Ireland. We don't own these young men and nor do we pay them.

Let them make their own decisions.

carlovia (None) - Posts: 729 - 25/04/2018 15:06:45    2094977

Link