Westmeath Forum

Colaiste Mhuire Mullingar Leinster Junior Football 'A' Champions

(Oldest Posts First)

Well done to everyone involved, great win today over Colaiste Eoin played in Dunganny.
Wasn't at the game but followed on Twitter - trailing 1-3 to 0-2 at half time, they went on to win 0-9 to 1-2 thus restricting their opponents to just the one point after the break.
Remember these lads played the semi 48 hours earlier which went to extra time (3-12 to 3-10 over Naas)
Not sure when the school last won a Leinster A title but it must be a while.
Has to be good for the bigger picture, I'm sure a few of these lads on county U17 panel.
Obviously the Marist reaching the Senior A Final is good too but I think a lot of their lads are west of the Shannon.
On another note, I see the Loreto Mullingar girls had to play their senior football semi the day after their All Ireland Camogie Final. Crazy stuff with so many dual players.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 550 - 16/03/2018 16:29:55    2084946

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Well done to everyone involved, great win today over Colaiste Eoin played in Dunganny.
Wasn't at the game but followed on Twitter - trailing 1-3 to 0-2 at half time, they went on to win 0-9 to 1-2 thus restricting their opponents to just the one point after the break.
Remember these lads played the semi 48 hours earlier which went to extra time (3-12 to 3-10 over Naas)
Not sure when the school last won a Leinster A title but it must be a while.
Has to be good for the bigger picture, I'm sure a few of these lads on county U17 panel.
Obviously the Marist reaching the Senior A Final is good too but I think a lot of their lads are west of the Shannon.
On another note, I see the Loreto Mullingar girls had to play their senior football semi the day after their All Ireland Camogie Final. Crazy stuff with so many dual players."
A very talented group of players. Good spread of clubs with all 4 local clubs, plus Multy, Delvin, Millmore, and maybe others I'm missing. All Ireland semi on Wednesday I belIeve.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 204 - 17/03/2018 11:22:29    2085046

Link

Big win in semi v The Bish, Galway. All-Ireland final against Brendan's Killarney.

Well done to all involved.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 204 - 21/03/2018 13:27:17    2086611

Link

Best of luck to the lads this Saturday.
Note change to venue and start time.
Game now on in the home of Galtee Rovers in Bansha Co. Tipperary throw in 330pm.

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 550 - 27/03/2018 22:09:00    2088874

Link

It was nice of the county board to fix Under 16 hurling games on Saturday, minor football on Sunday and more U16 hurling on the Monday
Best of luck to the school team

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1506 - 28/03/2018 11:19:59    2088971

Link

Magnificent. All Ireland Champions. Well done to all involved.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 204 - 31/03/2018 16:53:09    2089724

Link

Unreal bunch of lads. Leading 1-5 to 0-4 at HT, the Sem kicked 4 points in the first 4 mins to pull level and it looked ominous. But fair play, they stuck at it and replied with 2 to edge in front and stayed ahead until the final whistle. Tense closing stages as you'd expect, but the lads showed great discipline to hold their nerve. Can't single out any one player as they were all excellent. To win an 'A' All Ireland title by beating the mighty Sem is some achievement.
The Killarney boys are a decent team but relied on 3 or 4 top lads while the CBS were brilliant all over the pitch.
From the 24 listed on the programme, the following clubs were represented:
The Downs (8)
St. Loman's (6)
Mullingar Shamrocks (3)
Millmore Gaels (2)
Shandonagh (2)
Delvin (1)
Multyfarnham (2)
This excludes the extended panel as clubs not listed.
Management team are Roscommon's Brian Murtagh, Sarah Guilfoyle and Matthew Dempsey (Ballycommon, Offaly)

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 550 - 01/04/2018 13:05:38    2089916

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Unreal bunch of lads. Leading 1-5 to 0-4 at HT, the Sem kicked 4 points in the first 4 mins to pull level and it looked ominous. But fair play, they stuck at it and replied with 2 to edge in front and stayed ahead until the final whistle. Tense closing stages as you'd expect, but the lads showed great discipline to hold their nerve. Can't single out any one player as they were all excellent. To win an 'A' All Ireland title by beating the mighty Sem is some achievement.
The Killarney boys are a decent team but relied on 3 or 4 top lads while the CBS were brilliant all over the pitch.
From the 24 listed on the programme, the following clubs were represented:
The Downs (8)
St. Loman's (6)
Mullingar Shamrocks (3)
Millmore Gaels (2)
Shandonagh (2)
Delvin (1)
Multyfarnham (2)
This excludes the extended panel as clubs not listed.
Management team are Roscommon's Brian Murtagh, Sarah Guilfoyle and Matthew Dempsey (Ballycommon, Offaly)"
Great achievement BUT is there a structure with in the county to develope these lads to go on to future success

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 333 - 04/04/2018 22:36:29    2091165

Link

Replying To RAHKILL:  "Great achievement BUT is there a structure with in the county to develope these lads to go on to future success"
It shows that unless you have a few teachers with an interest in coaching and going to games then nothing will be done
Need to develop more of that in every school in the county and support teachers
Some schools barely even field a team

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1506 - 05/04/2018 13:13:15    2091234

Link