Leitrim Forum

Leitrim Juniors 2018

(Oldest Posts First)

Does anyone know what the story with the junior team is this year? Even though our team last year had a lot of our senior panel on it I feel it proved very useful as it gave a few lads such as Shane Quinn a way back into the county game. Was trying to think of a list of players who didn't play inter county championship football last year who could represent us well and when I thought about it we could have an even stronger team than last year. However, one caveat I do feel it should be taken out of Benny's hands, he has enough on his plate and it might be a good political move in an effort to reintroduce certain players back into a Leitrim set up in an eye to next year. Here's what I came up with and I am sure I am forgetting a few decent players.
Farrelly (Ballinamore)
P.Earley (Aughnasheelin) F.McTague (Aughawillan) S.McWeeney(Aughnasheelin)
Mulvey(Drumshanbo) O'Brien(Manor) N.McWeeny(St.Marys)
S.Flanagan (Aughawillan)
P.Dolan(Aughawillan)
D.Farrell (St.Marys) M.Plunkett (Aughawillan) D.Flynn(Mohill)
N.Moore(Drumshanbo) E.Mulligan (Melvin) C.Dolan(Manor)
In my view the majority of that team are good enough to be on the senior panel and a few good enough to start. 9 of that team have represented Leitrim seniors in either league orchampionship which says a lot.
That would leave a bench with the likes of Gilheaney (Fenagh), Cunningham (Dromahair), Feeley(SOH), Leyden(SOH), P.Dolan(Aughnasheelin), M.Beirne(Drumshanbo), A.Wynne(Drumshanbo) D.McCabe (Drumreilly) C.Reynolds (Annaduff) Wynne(Ballinaglera) and Nevin O'Donnell if he regains fitness. I'm sure other posters will be able to add more names. I just think it could be a very worthwhile exercise if clubs could be convinced to release players such as these. It also highlights that there are loads of good quality footballers in Leitrim as this doesn't even include players who played senior last year and who aren't on the panel now for various reasons.

LeitrimWay (Leitrim) - Posts: 40 - 08/03/2018 22:42:16    2082829

Link

There hasn't been much talk about the Junior's this year whether it has been let go or not I'm not sure. I like most of that team I must say. I do hope this is the sort of approach they take towards it as it could be fruitful in the long run. I've wondered what had happened to Mulvey in the last few years he has gone off the radar, he used to be a very solid wing back with a great engine. McWeeneys situation is an example of what has gone wrong in Leitrim in the last few years, he was seen fit to be captain 22 or 23 and is not even on the panel anymore. The three or four Aughawillan lads are all good enough as we know but they seem to only want to play for their club at the moment. I think that's the same McTague that started centre back for the U21s a few years ago before he did his cruciate, another I haven't seen much more of sense. I'm surprised Flynn or Farrell haven't been called up to the senior clubs as they both always stand out at club level. Niall Brady from Manor is also worth a look in my view. It could be a very useful way of getting game time and confidence into Mulligan before New York. The St. Mary's Goalkeeper is also worth a look at this level. There's a depth in Leitrim football that I haven't seen before. I'd go as far to say that a team similar to the one named above with 1 or 2 additions would test the senior panel which we could never say in the past.

OnTheBank (Australia) - Posts: 101 - 09/03/2018 14:26:46    2082946

Link

Replying To OnTheBank:  "There hasn't been much talk about the Junior's this year whether it has been let go or not I'm not sure. I like most of that team I must say. I do hope this is the sort of approach they take towards it as it could be fruitful in the long run. I've wondered what had happened to Mulvey in the last few years he has gone off the radar, he used to be a very solid wing back with a great engine. McWeeneys situation is an example of what has gone wrong in Leitrim in the last few years, he was seen fit to be captain 22 or 23 and is not even on the panel anymore. The three or four Aughawillan lads are all good enough as we know but they seem to only want to play for their club at the moment. I think that's the same McTague that started centre back for the U21s a few years ago before he did his cruciate, another I haven't seen much more of sense. I'm surprised Flynn or Farrell haven't been called up to the senior clubs as they both always stand out at club level. Niall Brady from Manor is also worth a look in my view. It could be a very useful way of getting game time and confidence into Mulligan before New York. The St. Mary's Goalkeeper is also worth a look at this level. There's a depth in Leitrim football that I haven't seen before. I'd go as far to say that a team similar to the one named above with 1 or 2 additions would test the senior panel which we could never say in the past."
Both deluded posters. Some of the lads mentioned aren't making any impact at club level without naming names. Going by age profile of this team I suspect ye are of the same vintage. Domhnall Flynn was on the senior panel not sure what happened there since. Anyway junior team is a second string comp to try and unearth talent. Nobody on that team is new to the scene or will suddenly "MLGA".

bananapublican (Leitrim) - Posts: 834 - 09/03/2018 17:43:11    2082994

Link

Replying To bananapublican:  "Both deluded posters. Some of the lads mentioned aren't making any impact at club level without naming names. Going by age profile of this team I suspect ye are of the same vintage. Domhnall Flynn was on the senior panel not sure what happened there since. Anyway junior team is a second string comp to try and unearth talent. Nobody on that team is new to the scene or will suddenly "MLGA"."
To call the two posters deluded is very harsh "BananaPublican". I have to say I agreed with most of what they had to say. The junior team can prove invaluable for bridging the gap between club and inter county football and give players a taster. We also have to consider that most of last year minors will be playing U20 football and the best of the U21s from last year are either on the Senior panel at the moment or played for the seniors last year so are ineligible this year. I'm sure there is a few others players not mentioned above but I must say it is a good starting point. Leitrim is such a small county we all know the players that have the ability to play at a higher level so generally there is no missed diamond etc. so trying to get a few players back in the mix could be the best way to use this competition.

Leitrim1234 (Leitrim) - Posts: 221 - 11/03/2018 17:33:14    2083433

Link

Does anyone know when this competition starts and who is looking after the team? This is a competition where Leitrim should be pushing on in after last years successful performances which also brought a lot of new faces into our current senior team. Surely there are still plenty of quality players that are not part of the current senior setup that should be all called in.

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 30/04/2018 21:00:38    2095811

Link

Replying To FrankAndHonest:  "Does anyone know when this competition starts and who is looking after the team? This is a competition where Leitrim should be pushing on in after last years successful performances which also brought a lot of new faces into our current senior team. Surely there are still plenty of quality players that are not part of the current senior setup that should be all called in."
Competition starts on Wednesday night. We play Mayo in MacHale park and Leitrim will play the winner of that game the following Thursday the 3rd of May.

ispeakwisdom (Roscommon) - Posts: 1967 - 30/04/2018 23:02:35    2095847

Link

Replying To ispeakwisdom:  "Competition starts on Wednesday night. We play Mayo in MacHale park and Leitrim will play the winner of that game the following Thursday the 3rd of May."
It's Mayo in Pairc Sean next week with the Final a curtain raiser to the Mayo V Galway game. Check Observer for more details. Seamus Quinn manages the team - same as last year

leitrimabu1 (Leitrim) - Posts: 28 - 03/05/2018 12:07:14    2096393

Link

How we fixed for this game? I assume members of the senior panel who didn't play in New York are eligable?

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 292 - 08/05/2018 19:11:35    2097371

Link

This is what I can come up with from who didn't play in New York - Matthew Murphy is injured from what I can gather? Still a lot of places to be filled. Does anyone know what players are in training?

A lot weaker than the team that performed so well last year.

1. Gary Hickey
2. James Mitchell
3. Alan Armstrong
5. Nicholas McWeeney
6. Keith Keegan
8. Colm Moreton
9. Damien Moran
10. Killian McGloin
11. Eoin Ward

FrankAndHonest (Leitrim) - Posts: 9 - 08/05/2018 22:38:07    2097413

Link

Well beaten by Mayo 17 points to 8 this evening

green.and.gold (Leitrim) - Posts: 292 - 10/05/2018 23:31:06    2097998

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Well beaten by Mayo 17 points to 8 this evening"
And to a mayo team made up of only junior and intermediate club players within their county. No senior club players allowed. Shows how strong and what standard club football is operating at in mayo compared to us when they beat us so easily without leaving second gear

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 401 - 11/05/2018 19:07:46    2099709

Link