Galway Forum

Intermediate Football Championship 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Go n-eiri le na dha chub on Gaeltacht amarach ann job deanta go dti seo.

As a neutral to call it I'd have to go with MB +4, too small a team and more importantly a panel from spideal

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 19/10/2018 20:31:24    2147290

Link

Great game at the stadium, really exciting stuff. To hard to call imo. Both teams could have knicked it. Spiddal could be slightly happier after out scoring MB in second half. NB free taker was super. All to play for!

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 20/10/2018 18:25:55    2147387

Link

The first half was very cagey. An Spidéal left a few scores behind them. Gave away a couple of scores too from mistakes. Second half was much better and the end was as tense as it gets.
Great resilience shown by both sides and they played their best football in the last 15, with some big scores kicked under pressure.
Beidh lá eile againn!

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 584 - 20/10/2018 20:04:17    2147397

Link

Spiddal came back which was expected with the aid of a tricky breeze strong subs and went 2 points up.. they were coasting. Fair play to MB to snatch a draw and nearly won it. Great second half. Lá eile.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 20/10/2018 20:33:23    2147400

Link

One thing I noticed , whoever wins has to play the Connacht semi final in Tuam???That's crazy!
Surely if its a Galway venue it should be Pearse, or if MB win they should be able to host the game at home. Or at least in Conamara.
Plenty of the other counties do the same

Regarding the game, strange that both teams had it lost and won. Spideal missed frees in the first half when they had huge amount of ball but the fress killed the momentum.On the other hand MB capitilised on two frees on the sideline, a pick up off the ground and a bad kickout

Second half was a much better spectacle, I would wonder is An SPideal will have a better plan to deal with MB zone defense.

Should be a decent replay whenever its fixed

puckemhard (Galway) - Posts: 191 - 22/10/2018 11:16:40    2147628

Link

Bit of controversy yesterday in menlough in the game between KC and Athenry. Athenry had a man sent off midway through the 1st half for 2 yellows even though he never received a 1st yellow? KC deserved winners. Athenry should have enough for Carna in the playoff but you never know....

mkeary5 (Galway) - Posts: 27 - 22/10/2018 12:38:20    2147653

Link

Was an enjoyable game between MB and An Spidéal although i would say at times it lacked a bit of quality. Would say the winner will need to kick on a fair bit to do well at senior. Felt An Spidéal left it behind them a bit, missed a few gettable frees whereas whoever the free taker for MB was seemed to put them over from everywhere especially in the first half nailed several from out on the sideline

kazoochka (Galway) - Posts: 274 - 22/10/2018 13:20:33    2147671

Link

Glenamaddy and Brendan's gone to junior Williamstown needed a 6 point win to stay up and got it in what I hear was a tough game with 4 players getting red cards,They topped the group with Carna now facing Athenry,Carna to win that by a couple of points,fancy m/b to get the job done in the replay a great days football in store in salthill on Sunday

Thelastword (Galway) - Posts: 33 - 23/10/2018 00:14:36    2147816

Link

Exciting but a poor enough affair. Spiddal s hunger and fitness getting them over the line. Breatnachs will have nightmares about losing a game with an extra man for 40m and been a pt up at the death of ordinary time, particularly there management.

Some flashes of " football" fron spiddal corner forward, with exquite pass to set up goal.

Both teams would struggle in senior ranks, not worrying spiddal at the moment.

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 28/10/2018 16:24:15    2148498

Link

Best team won. I congratulate an Spidéal on going up to Seinor ranks and wish them the best. 14 men but if you count them as footballers Spiddal had the extra footballers. Disappointing to loose to old enemy but no complaints.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 28/10/2018 18:18:04    2148509

Link

Replying To northbouind:  "Exciting but a poor enough affair. Spiddal s hunger and fitness getting them over the line. Breatnachs will have nightmares about losing a game with an extra man for 40m and been a pt up at the death of ordinary time, particularly there management.

Some flashes of " football" fron spiddal corner forward, with exquite pass to set up goal.

Both teams would struggle in senior ranks, not worrying spiddal at the moment."
It was a better game than the one that followed it. Fantastic effort from buachaillí an Spidéil, especially for the whole second half with 14 men. MB couldn't push on with the extra man advantage. A first championship at this level and first time back in senior for almost 20 years. An Spidéal abú.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 584 - 28/10/2018 18:22:06    2148511

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Best team won. I congratulate an Spidéal on going up to Seinor ranks and wish them the best. 14 men but if you count them as footballers Spiddal had the extra footballers. Disappointing to loose to old enemy but no complaints."
Fair play dhuit a mhac.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 584 - 28/10/2018 18:35:28    2148514

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Best team won. I congratulate an Spidéal on going up to Seinor ranks and wish them the best. 14 men but if you count them as footballers Spiddal had the extra footballers. Disappointing to loose to old enemy but no complaints."
An Spidéal abú. What's another year, eh Sammy?

galwayfan (None) - Posts: 655 - 28/10/2018 23:37:29    2148549

Link

Replying To galwayfan:  "An Spidéal abú. What's another year, eh Sammy?"
Proud of our lads to have reached the final. As I said way before the match, spending another year or 2 in Intermediate wont be any harm. Sure if you enjoy mocking me , knock yourself out. It was a good game , tough but clean and nobody went out to hurt another player. Heading to Spiddal now to sample the atmosphere and take my medicine. Enjoy the mocking.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 29/10/2018 10:58:06    2148569

Link

Replying To SAMMYTHEBULL:  "Proud of our lads to have reached the final. As I said way before the match, spending another year or 2 in Intermediate wont be any harm. Sure if you enjoy mocking me , knock yourself out. It was a good game , tough but clean and nobody went out to hurt another player. Heading to Spiddal now to sample the atmosphere and take my medicine. Enjoy the mocking."
MB really missed Peadar Og O'Griofa, they had no scoring forward and the free taker kept them in it with three or four massive frees from around the 45. Denvir and O'Curraoin had less impact than I expected, but the return for serious injuries is a long journey back. An Spidéal had all the legs in the middle sector and probably deserved the win.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 29/10/2018 11:33:11    2148572

Link

Replying To GDL:  "MB really missed Peadar Og O'Griofa, they had no scoring forward and the free taker kept them in it with three or four massive frees from around the 45. Denvir and O'Curraoin had less impact than I expected, but the return for serious injuries is a long journey back. An Spidéal had all the legs in the middle sector and probably deserved the win."
Totally agree. Forwards threw it away when we were a point up going into injury time. I would kick straighter with a pair of wellingtons, lol. Peadar Óg on Crutches would be an improvement. I couldnt begrudge An Spidéal the win. I thought the sending off was a bit harsh also. But we missed a penalty and was denied another penalty so could have gone either way. Fair play to O' Curraoin and Breathnach for their free taking skills under pressure, worth the entry fee. Cant see much difference between the standard of football in Intermediate and Senior in Galway at the moment anyway. Even Coroffin are being dragged down to the doldrums. Breathnachs will be back, we can cheer on our hurlers now and Hand ball champions. Strong healthy club with great athletes, always proud of them.

SAMMYTHEBULL (Galway) - Posts: 1634 - 29/10/2018 12:45:10    2148579

Link

Disagree on FOC. Thought he was unmarkable in that first half. He was head and shoulders above all else and beating 3/4 players on kickouts all day. He picked a rough looking injury before full time that you could see rocked the Breathnaigh. Also heard before the match from some MB fans that he's still carrying a long-term injury that hasn't fully cleared up.

Have a give full credit to Mánus Breathnach though. Not a fan of him at intercounty but he turned up in a big way when Spidéal needed leadership. Also Micheal Ó'Curraoin was excellent along with Mac an Rí.

Some really good finishing throughout the game and best of luck to MB's hurling contingent who have a potentially ruthless fixture list this week.

Diabhal (Galway) - Posts: 167 - 29/10/2018 12:53:33    2148581

Link

Replying To GDL:  "MB really missed Peadar Og O'Griofa, they had no scoring forward and the free taker kept them in it with three or four massive frees from around the 45. Denvir and O'Curraoin had less impact than I expected, but the return for serious injuries is a long journey back. An Spidéal had all the legs in the middle sector and probably deserved the win."
Yes I would agree, it let them down big time, the penalty is on social media and it was pretty much straight down the middle.
Felt the ref was a small bit bias in MB's favour but it doesnt matter thankfully.
MB going to struggle now with the likes of Caltra, Kilconly, O.Ard, K.Clon, Menlough, Aran and Bearna or Cortoon.
I really see them stuck down in this grade for the next 5 years, now or never for both clubs.
As for Spideal thaught 14 played v well, sweet kick to the number 8 who stuck an absolute peach, Manus the man for pressure, small guys but very fit and strong.
No. 8 deserves a closer look with Kevin in the stands.
Best of luck in the provincials

mise87 (Galway) - Posts: 102 - 29/10/2018 13:12:10    2148582

Link

Replying To Diabhal:  "Disagree on FOC. Thought he was unmarkable in that first half. He was head and shoulders above all else and beating 3/4 players on kickouts all day. He picked a rough looking injury before full time that you could see rocked the Breathnaigh. Also heard before the match from some MB fans that he's still carrying a long-term injury that hasn't fully cleared up.

Have a give full credit to Mánus Breathnach though. Not a fan of him at intercounty but he turned up in a big way when Spidéal needed leadership. Also Micheal Ó'Curraoin was excellent along with Mac an Rí.

Some really good finishing throughout the game and best of luck to MB's hurling contingent who have a potentially ruthless fixture list this week."
How could you disagree with my point about FOC and Denvir, the Fintain we saw in the first half is the superb athlete and footballer most football people in Galway know. However the return from a nasty break took its toil on him yesterday. I noted him also to be holding a hamstring during extra time. A FOC at 100% is very difficult to mark and would have made a big difference.

On another point, I thought it was a free out to MB when Manus nailed the player with a shoulder, from my seat I didn't think it was shoulder to shoulder. But the referee at both games yesterday were all over the place with some strange decisions.

GDL (Galway) - Posts: 349 - 29/10/2018 14:02:15    2148590

Link

Not to mention three more senior teams coming down next year. They MB also have an over inflated opinion of themselves which doesn't help. They look upon themselves as a"big" club with all their facilities. Maybe some humble pie is in order from a "small" club like spiddal with such a small poulation base,

northbouind (Galway) - Posts: 225 - 29/10/2018 14:19:40    2148594

Link