Wicklow Forum

Wicklow Leagues - Fixtures Watch

(Oldest Posts First)

With the first round of league fixtures over and the second round coming up this weekend, WIcklow's fixtures people failed at their very first test of implementing the fixtures schedule that they worked so hard to come up with in the first place and were at pains to insist that it wouldn't be bent or broken for no club.

Surprise surprise, two certain neighbouring clubs on the East coast were the ones who have had the rules bent for them immediately. The 1st round meeting between Rathnew and Pats has been refixed for the 16th of March. Am I wrong in saying that the rule that the fixtures people mentioned was that any match that needed to be refixed had to be played in the midweek of the following week?

Also, no game was to be moved unless there was a death in the club so my deepest sympathies for any loss that occurred and I'm not blaming the clubs involved because they will do anything to gain an advantage but it's up to the county board to impose the same rules for everybody or else the whole system breaks.

Unless the pitches in Rathnew and Pats have been deemed unplayable for a whole month I can't see why the rules have been bent here.

New year, same old county board failed promises.

_BLUE_ (Wicklow) - Posts: 78 - 22/02/2018 13:12:52    2079197

Link

Replying To _BLUE_:  "With the first round of league fixtures over and the second round coming up this weekend, WIcklow's fixtures people failed at their very first test of implementing the fixtures schedule that they worked so hard to come up with in the first place and were at pains to insist that it wouldn't be bent or broken for no club.

Surprise surprise, two certain neighbouring clubs on the East coast were the ones who have had the rules bent for them immediately. The 1st round meeting between Rathnew and Pats has been refixed for the 16th of March. Am I wrong in saying that the rule that the fixtures people mentioned was that any match that needed to be refixed had to be played in the midweek of the following week?

Also, no game was to be moved unless there was a death in the club so my deepest sympathies for any loss that occurred and I'm not blaming the clubs involved because they will do anything to gain an advantage but it's up to the county board to impose the same rules for everybody or else the whole system breaks.

Unless the pitches in Rathnew and Pats have been deemed unplayable for a whole month I can't see why the rules have been bent here.

New year, same old county board failed promises."
The same has happened in a Division 2 match aswell so maybe its not just down to these clubs?

LSDEindhoven (Wicklow) - Posts: 65 - 22/02/2018 15:56:59    2079241

Link

I was looking there at the master fixture list for the year.

Very disappointed to see the county minor final is not down to be played before the senior final. They now have the inter mediate final down as th ecurtain rasiser.

I know th eminor is gone to undear 17 but the minors should still get to play in the big county final day. Another tradition done away with and for no good reason that I can see.

Pat Mustard (None) - Posts: 308 - 22/02/2018 20:58:15    2079341

Link

Replying To _BLUE_:  "With the first round of league fixtures over and the second round coming up this weekend, WIcklow's fixtures people failed at their very first test of implementing the fixtures schedule that they worked so hard to come up with in the first place and were at pains to insist that it wouldn't be bent or broken for no club.

Annacurra v Rathnew in division 1A was called off on Saturday evening because Rathnew couldn't field a team. Aughrim v St. Pats in division 3 on Sunday morning was called off because St. Pats also could not field. Let's hope that they are both penalised by losing the points, receiving a big fine and are notified by the County Board that 1 more walk over will result in relegation and a fine. I also didn't see a fixture for Rathnew in division 1 this weekend. Does anyone know why not? There was no death in the village over the weekend but there was a stag party. Special Strokes for Special Folk.

Gardenman99 (Wicklow) - Posts: 91 - 26/02/2018 07:48:09    2080321

Link

Replying To Gardenman99:  "

Annacurra v Rathnew in division 1A was called off on Saturday evening because Rathnew couldn't field a team. Aughrim v St. Pats in division 3 on Sunday morning was called off because St. Pats also could not field. Let's hope that they are both penalised by losing the points, receiving a big fine and are notified by the County Board that 1 more walk over will result in relegation and a fine. I also didn't see a fixture for Rathnew in division 1 this weekend. Does anyone know why not? There was no death in the village over the weekend but there was a stag party. Special Strokes for Special Folk."
Rathnew are playing annacurra this Monday night. The seniors weren't fixed to play anyone and their game against pats was moved because a pats player was getting married!!!! Surely that's allowed????! Conspiracy theory's and its only February!!!!

Onlywayisup (Wicklow) - Posts: 199 - 26/02/2018 10:24:40    2080364

Link

Replying To Onlywayisup:  "
Replying To Gardenman99:  "[quote=_BLUE_:  "With the first round of league fixtures over and the second round coming up this weekend, WIcklow's fixtures people failed at their very first test of implementing the fixtures schedule that they worked so hard to come up with in the first place and were at pains to insist that it wouldn't be bent or broken for no club.

Annacurra v Rathnew in division 1A was called off on Saturday evening because Rathnew couldn't field a team. Aughrim v St. Pats in division 3 on Sunday morning was called off because St. Pats also could not field. Let's hope that they are both penalised by losing the points, receiving a big fine and are notified by the County Board that 1 more walk over will result in relegation and a fine. I also didn't see a fixture for Rathnew in division 1 this weekend. Does anyone know why not? There was no death in the village over the weekend but there was a stag party. Special Strokes for Special Folk."
Rathnew are playing annacurra this Monday night. The seniors weren't fixed to play anyone and their game against pats was moved because a pats player was getting married!!!! Surely that's allowed????! Conspiracy theory's and its only February!!!!"]Game against Pats was moved to March 16th. That's hardly within 3 days of the original fixture is it? Obviously not so the rules are being bent at the start. For the big clubs.

Gardenman99 (Wicklow) - Posts: 91 - 26/02/2018 18:34:12    2080683

Link

Is there a functioning website this year for Club & Juvenile fixtures & results ? Or is that something else we can't even get right in Wicklow ?

Links from previous years don't seem to work and nothing showing up on Google search.

ogra (Wicklow) - Posts: 137 - 29/03/2018 11:49:01    2089292

Link

Gaelic football is dead in this county.

6 feet under.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2673 - 29/03/2018 17:44:18    2089393

Link

Replying To sponger:  "Gaelic football is dead in this county.

6 feet under."
Football is NOT dead but bygod it's on live support. Badly need to appoint a DG for the county,Someone who can put in place structures to improve football at all grades.

Key objectives

Streamline the Leagues, 3 x 12 team League's with 3 up & 3 down - Starts in April finish in July
Reserve League 3 x 9 team League's with 3 up & 3 down - Starts in May finish in July

Cut the Senior championship to 8 teams
Cut the Intermeidate championship to 8 teams
Restructure the Junior championship to 12 teams
Restructure the Junior B championship to 8 teams
Introduce Reserve championships for second teams

Introduce 5 properly ran divisional teams at all age groups to ensure the better players in smaller clubs can play at the highest level

Introduce a proper u20 competition

Small steps to gradually feed into the inter county set up

lasertech (UK) - Posts: 129 - 03/04/2018 12:14:14    2090608

Link

If the WicklowGAA.net results page is accurate, from the weekend's schedule of fixtures, in Intermediate Hurling League - 2 walkovers, Div 1 Football Cup - 4 walkovers, Div 3 Football cup - 2 walkovers. What the hell is going on? All this in the GAA's "month of the club". Other counties are going out that there is not enough fixtures , particularly championship fixtures, during this month, and we can't get clubs to play?

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 62 - 30/04/2018 10:08:45    2095658

Link

Replying To Hawkeye2:  "If the WicklowGAA.net results page is accurate, from the weekend's schedule of fixtures, in Intermediate Hurling League - 2 walkovers, Div 1 Football Cup - 4 walkovers, Div 3 Football cup - 2 walkovers. What the hell is going on? All this in the GAA's "month of the club". Other counties are going out that there is not enough fixtures , particularly championship fixtures, during this month, and we can't get clubs to play?"
Aside from the inter hurling w/o's the football cup was never going to take hold. It was to bridge the gap between league and championship and although it sounds like a good idea its probably too many games in the run up for the championship especially with league playoffs still to come and relegation battles. Id imagine little to none of the clubs will get involved with that cup.

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 162 - 02/05/2018 11:04:43    2096201

Link