Mayo Forum

Galway V Mayo NFL

(Oldest Posts First)

The way this forum has been deserted this past 3 days one would think the season for us is already over.
A few facts should be kept in mind.

Only 4 of the team that started in the All Ireland Final which was lost be a single point started in Salthill last Sunday,
Clarke, Boyle, AOS and COC.
No player from AI final started in our FB line.
One player from the AI final started in HB line.
No player from midfield.
No player from HF line.
One player from FF line.
Stephen Rochford remains in my view the best manager in Ireland, but the backroom, players and supporters must keep full faith in him. He knows the team have been on the road a long time. He knows that no super player will be unearthed this year, so it is going to be the same group from last year that will have to carry the hopes of the county in 2018. There is only one prize being aimed at, and Rochford rightly is unconcerned about anything else. Mayo are 2 months behind Galway at this stage in the training that has been put in. Galway were at least at 90% in terms of their championship starting team last Sunday. We will pick up points in the last 2 or 3 games to ensure DIV 1 for 2019. It is a fair question to ask and many are asking, "are Mayo gone"? No one knows the answer to that but on 13 May, the feast of our Lady of Fatima, we will find out. This really is a must win game. Even allowing for a slow build up, and later start to heavy training this season, I cannot see us getting to an AI final via the qualifiers. Mayo have not gone from being within a point of the greatest team ever 6 months ago to being finished now. Last year Roscommon won only one game in the NFL, and still had a handy enough win of this same Galway team on the day that really mattered.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 387 - 13/02/2018 13:59:49    2076537

Link

Rochford probably the best man to manage Mayo,but he is not the best manager in Ireland. The mistake re David Clarke for the 2016 replay will always stand out as one of the great managerial clangers.

Mayo will take Galway out on May 13 because they will have a stronger and fitter team in Castlebar.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2194 - 13/02/2018 15:36:55    2076568

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "The way this forum has been deserted this past 3 days one would think the season for us is already over.

Only 4 of the team that started in the All Ireland Final which was lost be a single point started in Salthill last Sunday,
No player from midfield.
No player from HF line.
One player from FF line.
Stephen Rochford remains in my view the best manager in Ireland, but the backroom, players and supporters must keep full faith in him. He knows the team have been on the road a long time. He knows that no super player will be unearthed this year, so it is going to be the same group from last year that will have to carry the hopes of the county in 2018. There is only one prize being aimed at, and Rochford rightly is unconcerned about anything else. Mayo are 2 months behind Galway at this stage in the training that has been put in. Galway were at least at 90% in terms of their championship starting team last Sunday. We will pick up points in the last 2 or 3 games to ensure DIV 1 for 2019. It is a fair question to ask and many are asking, "are Mayo gone"? No one knows the answer to that but on 13 May, the feast of our Lady of Fatima, we will find out. This really is a must win game. Even allowing for a slow build up, and later start to heavy training this season, I cannot see us getting to an AI final via the qualifiers. Mayo have not gone from being within a point of the greatest team ever 6 months ago to being finished now. Last year Roscommon won only one game in the NFL, and still had a handy enough win of this same Galway team on the day that really mattered."
A lot of what you say is true but I wouldn't be that confident of us getting the wins needed to stay up. Other years when we needed points we were able to put out an almost full team but that may not be possible this time around. A bit worrying that five out of our six 'best' forwards started last Sunday and still we hardly won a fifty, fifty ball all day. Our return from play has been dismal in the league and we still don't seem to have a clue what to do against a massed defence. Just wondering how we are going to get the necessary scores against the likes of Tyrone, Dublin or Donegal. If we get our full squad back in the next three weeks I think we can give Galway a good rattle but if we are depending on a half fit Keegan, Barrett, Seamie etc we could be in bother. No need to panic just yet but the injuries are out of our control. Galway lads are saying we are wildly overconfident about our May meeting when we say we are 'hopeful' so I'll just say I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 868 - 13/02/2018 19:27:29    2076618

Link

Biggest problem I have is what happened in the Kerry game, we were shockingly poor down the spine of our team, 3, 6, 8, 9, 11 and 14, along with that we were dodgy at wing half back and only Diarmuid O'Connor and Jason Doherty were playing in the forwards, very poor plan to put Cillian on taking frees when Doherty was doing fine, we couldn't win a ball at midfield even when no Kerry player was in sight. For the Galway game we didn't improve, we won a few balls in the middle but over played the ball in the forwards, by halftime Galway had handpassed the ball 35 times, Mayo 120, that shows Mayo were too slow bringing the ball forward, we were still poor down the spine, put that along with poor at corner back, off the pace wing back and gone home in the forwards, can't name 1 player that deserved any plaudits for his performance, I know it's only February but it doesn't bode well when we have Dublin at home next then away to relegation threatened teams like Kildare, Tyrone and Donegal all well able to beat us, we need a good performance against Dublin and hopefully a win to ease the pressure on the team heading into the last few games and the 1st round of Connacht championship

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1286 - 14/02/2018 08:08:18    2076682

Link

Mayo short 8 players,who should be available for the championship game v Galway. Different game ,different story.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2194 - 14/02/2018 12:53:02    2076764

Link

I think everyone should calm down.
It looks like Galway have trained hard for the league and they want to wait in Division 1 like Roscommon two years ago. Anyone at the game could see that Galway were two or three steps ahead of Mayo. You could clearly see, it looks like Mayo are only slowing coming back into the season and as stated above the Mayo team that started last Sunday will be completely different to the starting 15 next May.
Hopefully not getting relegated, which is a strong possibility, and finding another scoring forward is what is the league will give us this year.

Giveitago (Mayo) - Posts: 69 - 14/02/2018 16:32:58    2076859

Link

Here is 1 question, how come Mayo look very heavy on their feet, like they are training hard during the week yet Dublin waltz around the pitch, they, like Mayo were on holiday, it seems that Dublin must be training during the winter and Mayo must have sat on their arses watching TV during the winter. You can't be super fit at the end of September early October and within 4 month having to start from scratch again unless you done nothing during the winter, I know there is a closed season but surely individual players were training all the time on their own or in groups

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1286 - 14/02/2018 20:28:49    2076906

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Here is 1 question, how come Mayo look very heavy on their feet, like they are training hard during the week yet Dublin waltz around the pitch, they, like Mayo were on holiday, it seems that Dublin must be training during the winter and Mayo must have sat on their arses watching TV during the winter. You can't be super fit at the end of September early October and within 4 month having to start from scratch again unless you done nothing during the winter, I know there is a closed season but surely individual players were training all the time on their own or in groups"
Dublin players have very little travelling to do in comparison with our squad, therefore they have far better rest opportunities, especially at this time of year.

They also have the luxury of a much deeper squad than we do.

People need to stop worrying about the league, it is shadow boxing at best.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1494 - 16/02/2018 10:56:15    2077347

Link

Replying To martinjoe:  "The way this forum has been deserted this past 3 days one would think the season for us is already over.

No player from midfield.
No player from HF line.
One player from FF line.
Stephen Rochford remains in my view the best manager in Ireland, but the backroom, players and supporters must keep full faith in him. He knows the team have been on the road a long time. He knows that no super player will be unearthed this year, so it is going to be the same group from last year that will have to carry the hopes of the county in 2018. There is only one prize being aimed at, and Rochford rightly is unconcerned about anything else. Mayo are 2 months behind Galway at this stage in the training that has been put in. Galway were at least at 90% in terms of their championship starting team last Sunday. We will pick up points in the last 2 or 3 games to ensure DIV 1 for 2019. It is a fair question to ask and many are asking, "are Mayo gone"? No one knows the answer to that but on 13 May, the feast of our Lady of Fatima, we will find out. This really is a must win game. Even allowing for a slow build up, and later start to heavy training this season, I cannot see us getting to an AI final via the qualifiers. Mayo have not gone from being within a point of the greatest team ever 6 months ago to being finished now. Last year Roscommon won only one game in the NFL, and still had a handy enough win of this same Galway team on the day that really mattered."
were jason doherty, mcloughlin, aos and Cillian from the forwards not all starting in the all ireland final? I know Diarmuid wasn't.

Rocky.Road (Galway) - Posts: 312 - 16/02/2018 13:30:00    2077387

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Here is 1 question, how come Mayo look very heavy on their feet, like they are training hard during the week yet Dublin waltz around the pitch, they, like Mayo were on holiday, it seems that Dublin must be training during the winter and Mayo must have sat on their arses watching TV during the winter. You can't be super fit at the end of September early October and within 4 month having to start from scratch again unless you done nothing during the winter, I know there is a closed season but surely individual players were training all the time on their own or in groups"
Dublin need the League to keep sharp as they have no meaningful game in the Leinster Championship. If fact Mayo are the only team to offer them anything like a real challenge in the last few years. Mayo on the other hand have had to go via the back door the last 2 years after losing to Galway. The extra games really brought us on, but is not what we need this time round, with the same millage up as the dubs but with no Sam. We need to go into the super 8 play offs as Connacht Champions. So Stephen will have to have them ticking nicely for the last 2 NFL games. In those 2 games we should see if we are going to be ready for 13 May.

martinjoe (Mayo) - Posts: 387 - 19/02/2018 11:30:08    2078278

Link

don't agree with the argument about going the back door, long route , if the team wins Connaught they will be still in fulltime training, and battering each other for places on the team, for better to have a game every weekend against so called weaker teams and build up confidence with a few wins, so the back door is ok with me.

culmore (None) - Posts: 1280 - 19/02/2018 17:20:32    2078456

Link

Backdoor may help teams but for supporters it's another extra cost, we have spent the last 2 years travelling the country following the team, we need a break, the front door please, gives us a chance to recover and gather a few bob for the assault on Croke Park

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1286 - 20/02/2018 13:41:48    2078727

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Backdoor may help teams but for supporters it's another extra cost, we have spent the last 2 years travelling the country following the team, we need a break, the front door please, gives us a chance to recover and gather a few bob for the assault on Croke Park"
Backdoor is fine if u get good draws. i.e. start with a nice handy one to get u up and running and get a bit tougher each time until u are back into last 8.

Problem is u could pull a tough draw. Look at the pre lim and Q/F draw in Ulster. You could get the losers of those games, away, in first back door game.

But if u do get on a roll at all it is not a bad way to get to the later stages. Well battle hardened, systems bedded in etc. Worked well for ye last year once ye got up and running.

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 715 - 26/02/2018 12:04:29    2080419

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Backdoor may help teams but for supporters it's another extra cost, we have spent the last 2 years travelling the country following the team, we need a break, the front door please, gives us a chance to recover and gather a few bob for the assault on Croke Park"
I'd be more concerned with the effect another defeat to Galway and the long trek through the backdoor would have on the team.

In fairness we have spent a lot following Mayo since 2011 and I believe we are the best traveling support with our population but nobody forces us to it....it's great fun too while it lasts.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 9214 - 27/02/2018 14:45:23    2080945

Link

Fun fact: it was mentioned at Congress over the weekend that Mayo's All-Ireland run last season made up for the potential shortfall of having no final replay in either football or hurling.

This is how much we mean financially to the GAA, and IMO we should start throwing our weight around (at board level) a lot more than we do.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1494 - 28/02/2018 11:32:29    2081187

Link