Wicklow Forum

2018 Football Championship Predictions

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Any feedback on how the much vaunted new fixtures committee experiment worked ?? Seems to have taken its eye off the ball here at any rate. Was going to take an act of parliament to get a fixture changed, we were told. How come we are in this situation then ?.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 23/10/2018 17:04:41    2147946

Link

Sorry to be butting in on Wicklow forum, but can anyone answer for me, why on earth are the wicklow championships always done in a panic around this time? The Wicklow senior hurlers and senior footballers were both finished on June 9th. There is absolutely no way that it should be taking until now to get championships played. Every year there seems to be an issue in Wicklow about teams having to play hurling and football in consecutive days or a team having to play in leinster the day after a county final.

Wexford were finished in all ireland senior hurling on 14th of july, and have about 40 dual clubs yet still manage to have senior championships completed by now

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 978 - 26/10/2018 09:11:19    2148353

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Sorry to be butting in on Wicklow forum, but can anyone answer for me, why on earth are the wicklow championships always done in a panic around this time? The Wicklow senior hurlers and senior footballers were both finished on June 9th. There is absolutely no way that it should be taking until now to get championships played. Every year there seems to be an issue in Wicklow about teams having to play hurling and football in consecutive days or a team having to play in leinster the day after a county final.

Wexford were finished in all ireland senior hurling on 14th of july, and have about 40 dual clubs yet still manage to have senior championships completed by now"
Wicklow rarely fix any mid-week championship games because they try to capitalise on weekend supporters paying into games and fear they wouldn't get numbers midweek to justify enough money being taken in. This then means that only weekend fixtures are made and if there are dual players or dual clubs involved it causes a long delay in getting all games played.
This of course is only my opinion and I've no idea what the real delay is, this is just the way i see it. I was at some Dublin hurling quarter finals that were played on a Monday night in Parnell Park. Of course, they had lights where by Arklow or Aughrim don't. Another issue that causes delay.

SidelineSupreme (Wicklow) - Posts: 162 - 26/10/2018 16:10:28    2148382

Link

Replying To SidelineSupreme:  "Wicklow rarely fix any mid-week championship games because they try to capitalise on weekend supporters paying into games and fear they wouldn't get numbers midweek to justify enough money being taken in. This then means that only weekend fixtures are made and if there are dual players or dual clubs involved it causes a long delay in getting all games played.
This of course is only my opinion and I've no idea what the real delay is, this is just the way i see it. I was at some Dublin hurling quarter finals that were played on a Monday night in Parnell Park. Of course, they had lights where by Arklow or Aughrim don't. Another issue that causes delay."
There are no mid week fixtures in Wexford either. We play alternate weekends as soon as our intercounty hurlers are beaten. Since our championships resumed in July, 6 rounds of football champiobship and 7 rounds of hurling championship have been played, and this included a gap week and a replayed football final. There were 2 football and 1 hurling played in April. And it all finished last weekend

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 978 - 26/10/2018 16:50:10    2148387

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Sorry to be butting in on Wicklow forum, but can anyone answer for me, why on earth are the wicklow championships always done in a panic around this time? The Wicklow senior hurlers and senior footballers were both finished on June 9th. There is absolutely no way that it should be taking until now to get championships played. Every year there seems to be an issue in Wicklow about teams having to play hurling and football in consecutive days or a team having to play in leinster the day after a county final.

Wexford were finished in all ireland senior hurling on 14th of july, and have about 40 dual clubs yet still manage to have senior championships completed by now"
To answer your question when you have a Co Board who's asleep at the whee.l There is absolutely no excuse why both football and hurling championship should be finished a month ago

dubarra (Wicklow) - Posts: 344 - 27/10/2018 15:57:17    2148428

Link

Replying To dubarra:  "To answer your question when you have a Co Board who's asleep at the whee.l There is absolutely no excuse why both football and hurling championship should be finished a month ago"
Be very interesting to hear any more observations on how we got into this situation re St Pats and Rhode. Silence is deafening from our fixtures people and also how do Leinster Council who I presume arrange the Leinster club championship games explain how, when other championships were only finished yesterday, they had to get their fixtures underway. If Wicklow Champs had to play Dublin champs instead of Offaly what would have happened ? This still doesn't excuse our fixtures continually running so late. Next up, I wonder did Mr Evans and co uncover any talent during the summer. Lastly congrats to the new County Champions , St Patrick's and to both teams on two sporting displays.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 29/10/2018 15:36:21    2148608

Link

https://www.the42.ie/wicklow-gaa-statement-st-patricks-4312964-Oct2018/?fbclid=IwAR0GVRLt_w1FoXJeG-pep-QjkkRCcou1gIXrGGrovJ20_XD91TRLrtBCM18

Wicklow County Chairman has a lot to answer for.

Monopoly (Wicklow) - Posts: 188 - 30/10/2018 15:08:59    2148739

Link

I think credit needs to be given to the Wicklow County Board here for coming out with such a statement (I dont believe there was a strict need to answer to anyone, publicly at least).

Does this now push the issue onto Rhode and how an agreement was not reached between the clubs? As I mentioned, per the fixture list for Leinster, the following round v St Columbas (Longford) is fixed for November 11th. How a re-fixture was not agreed upon is concerning? Did the player welfare of the St. Pats players not concern the Offaly club? Or is there only concern there when it's your own club player?

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 191 - 30/10/2018 15:40:58    2148742

Link

Replying To neutralfan:  "I think credit needs to be given to the Wicklow County Board here for coming out with such a statement (I dont believe there was a strict need to answer to anyone, publicly at least).

Does this now push the issue onto Rhode and how an agreement was not reached between the clubs? As I mentioned, per the fixture list for Leinster, the following round v St Columbas (Longford) is fixed for November 11th. How a re-fixture was not agreed upon is concerning? Did the player welfare of the St. Pats players not concern the Offaly club? Or is there only concern there when it's your own club player?"
This issue is absolutely nothing to do with Rhode. And the co.chairman was trying to imply that Rhode should take some blame. The blame for this is 100% at the door of the fixture makers in Wicklow.

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 978 - 30/10/2018 17:20:32    2148764

Link

I think this is an issue for Wicklow Gaa, none of Rhodes business.

Gaa1928 (Kildare) - Posts: 42 - 30/10/2018 17:27:28    2148766

Link

Replying To neutralfan:  "I think credit needs to be given to the Wicklow County Board here for coming out with such a statement (I dont believe there was a strict need to answer to anyone, publicly at least).

Does this now push the issue onto Rhode and how an agreement was not reached between the clubs? As I mentioned, per the fixture list for Leinster, the following round v St Columbas (Longford) is fixed for November 11th. How a re-fixture was not agreed upon is concerning? Did the player welfare of the St. Pats players not concern the Offaly club? Or is there only concern there when it's your own club player?"
The draw for these games was made on 25th July, so every county board in Leinster knew when their county winners were due to play months ago. Wicklow, Westmeath and Kildare ran to close to the line having county finals last weekend, madness.

Gaa1928 (Kildare) - Posts: 42 - 30/10/2018 17:41:26    2148768

Link

I think it is interesting to know why a re-fixture could not be agreed upon though, in the interest of player welfare...

neutralfan (Wicklow) - Posts: 191 - 30/10/2018 17:42:04    2148769

Link

Replying To Gaa1928:  "I think this is an issue for Wicklow Gaa, none of Rhodes business."
Just read that statement from the county board. A tad mealy mouthed to my mind. Firstly a spiel about dual players. I think our Wexford contributor nailed that one by pointing out the number of dual clubs in that county. Then to tag on a footnote about not being able to come to an agreement with Rhode ? As noted in a post above, it's hardly Rhode's fault that we can't run our fixtures. While I respect everybody's opinion I'm not too sure if I could agree that the county board didn't have to come out with a statement. To me it is absolutely necessary that they explain their situation, and possibly make another. If there are clubs with dual players who had games postponed or requested that games be rescheduled to facilitate these players why not be more open about it. At least we might have a clearer picture of how the weekends fiasco came about.
Brings back memories of the Eire Og situation last year.

Freethinker (Wicklow) - Posts: 48 - 30/10/2018 19:12:07    2148784

Link

Organising championships to take account of dual players and club championships is very easy. Same schedule can suit all grades. Wicklow beaten on June 9th. Championship starts June 16th. Simple structure will suit everyone. And still leave championships planned to be finished by end of September, leaving the whole of October free in case semi finals or finals go to replays.
This really isn't rocket science.

June 16th Football rnd 1
June 23rd Hurling rnd 1
June 30th football rnd 2
July 7th hurling rnd 2
July 14th football rnd 3
July 21st hurling rnd 3
July 28th football rnd 4
Aug 4th hurling rnd 4
Aug 11th football rnd 5
Aug 18th hurling rnd 5
Aug 25th football 1/4 finals