Mayo Forum

Future of Mayo football

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Seriously now Gleebo? I've live 17 of the last 19 years in Leinster. Maybe a bit less rainfall than the West but not in a Spain v Philippines weather difference. Should technique not also suffer in Kerry, Galway and Donegal and be much better in Leinster counties if that's the case?"
What can I say, Greenandred? One can't ignore the science. The West does get a considerably larger rainfall than the East.

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp

All I'm saying is: it doesn't help, especially given that a lot of pitches in Mayo seem to have poor drainage, from what I can remember. Having played sport up east, I remember far fewer matches being cancelled, and the surfaces generally standing up a bit better to inclement conditions. That's always helpful.

Taking out Kerry, the exceptional football county the western seaboard counties have won what? 16 All-Ireland senior football titles in over 130 years.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1421 - 10/02/2018 22:45:43    2075573

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "What can I say, Greenandred? One can't ignore the science. The West does get a considerably larger rainfall than the East.

https://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/rainfall.asp

All I'm saying is: it doesn't help, especially given that a lot of pitches in Mayo seem to have poor drainage, from what I can remember. Having played sport up east, I remember far fewer matches being cancelled, and the surfaces generally standing up a bit better to inclement conditions. That's always helpful.

Taking out Kerry, the exceptional football county the western seaboard counties have won what? 16 All-Ireland senior football titles in over 130 years."
It definitely doesn't help. Or that we can't get the full squad to train together very often. So we need to look to improve that by trying to have more allweather training pitches that possibly clubs could share but they're not cheap.

For years we seem to rely on a very shortlist of players to rely on for scores or creating scores. Conor Mort and Ciaran Mac in the noughties. Cillian and Andy now and Andy's playing days are numbered. We have some great attacking backs to chip in but are a better scoring threat breaking from defence. We need to improve our other scoring options, new players putting pressure on forwards, more freetaking options, Cillian bringing more from play like he has done before. And I'd put Aidan back in midfield.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 4377 - 11/02/2018 11:27:24    2075704

Link

Be it bad/wet pitches or whatever we won't win f all till we start producing forwards. Kerry last week and Galway today show what a few handy forwards can do with a bit of space. It's only February but last year's all Ireland showed our 16/17 lads can't beat a squad of 25. We came close but no cigars

kpd (Mayo) - Posts: 50 - 11/02/2018 19:08:16    2075943

Link

Is there a plan to produce better quality forwards in the county? I have no doubt if we had say a Padraig Joyce, Bernard Beogan or Peter Canavan that we would have at least one All Ireland by now.

Nearly every winning recent All Ireland team I can think of had an absolutely profilic forward who if the team weren't firing on all cylinders would kick the team on and produce it on the biggest day of all...

Our over reliance on Andy came back to haunt us in the final last year. The level we all know Cillian can get to will hopefully return. We need a big season from Loftus and an other but who that will be I don't know.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 8846 - 13/02/2018 17:28:47    2076591

Link

Since the mid 90s I can only think of 1 or 2 big strong forwards, we have a habit of finding small forwards, is there no 6 Ft plus forwards that can play in Mayo or do we have to wait another 10 years before the kids with Eastern European parents are old enough to play for the county, we had a Slovak working on a building site years ago, he was nearly 7ft tall

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 14/02/2018 08:13:51    2076683

Link

Immediate future, League survival, and knock Galway out of Connacht championship. Long term future,up in the air.
County Board reckoned they headhunted the new Mayo minor manager. A bit ironic, in that one club apart ,all his other clubs were looking for his head after a short tenure in charge.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2183 - 14/02/2018 12:57:03    2076768

Link

Also the minor selectors dont appear to have "coached" anywhere with any great success.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - Posts: 2183 - 14/02/2018 13:05:57    2076771

Link

The minor manager is just a the public face out front. Mr Prenty is behind the scenes pulling the strings and whispering in his ear. I saw it myself at the trials. The more things change the more they stay the same....god help mayo underage we are slowly slipping ALL other teams in connaught

richardcrowe (Mayo) - Posts: 48 - 16/02/2018 17:06:02    2077455

Link

Not naming names but years ago the Mayo management were told by a co board officials 'i don't care who you have on the panel but my son will start every game' no wonder it's 67 years since we we won Sam, nobody should be whispering in the manager ear, p##s off and let the man do his job

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 17/02/2018 12:23:06    2077614

Link

Replying To richardcrowe:  "The minor manager is just a the public face out front. Mr Prenty is behind the scenes pulling the strings and whispering in his ear. I saw it myself at the trials. The more things change the more they stay the same....god help mayo underage we are slowly slipping ALL other teams in connaught"
Absolute nonsense Tom Morley is a very good coach the best appointment in the last few years hopefully he can bring the minors on.

Hunter077 (Roscommon) - Posts: 40 - 17/02/2018 20:22:13    2077753

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "Not naming names but years ago the Mayo management were told by a co board officials 'i don't care who you have on the panel but my son will start every game' no wonder it's 67 years since we we won Sam, nobody should be whispering in the manager ear, p##s off and let the man do his job"
Wouldn't be mayo gaa if the likes weren't happening!

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 581 - 17/02/2018 22:34:52    2077791

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "Wouldn't be mayo gaa if the likes weren't happening!"
I have heard similar stories from friends of mine that have played in underage All-Ireland finals for Mayo.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 1421 - 20/02/2018 10:34:22    2078665

Link

Replying To Gleebo:  "I have heard similar stories from friends of mine that have played in underage All-Ireland finals for Mayo."
Some people in mayo football circles really don't have an interest in the greater good of football in the county.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 581 - 20/02/2018 11:32:27    2078679

Link

I see Alan Dillon Kevin O Neill Austin O Malley and Ciaran McDonald appointed to some role of underage coaching. What happened the development panel that was established a few years ago. I think this was set up to nurture players from minor to under 21 level. Hopefully the lads appointed this year will have more of an impact than this development panel

imonmyway (Mayo) - Posts: 79 - 20/02/2018 12:29:19    2078704

Link

Again not naming names but I know of a few club players from a few years ago that received phone calls at 11pm on a Friday night telling them to be at county trials at 10am on Saturday morning, if my club told me at that hour to be at club training the following morning I would have eaten the head off them, to me its disrespectful to any player to tell them at the 11th hour that they are wanted the following morning, if those lads were over seas, working on Saturday, etc it was way too late to tell them to come to county trials and to make alternative arrangements, there has always appeared to be a click within the county grouping

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1153 - 20/02/2018 13:38:51    2078726

Link