Derry Forum

League Expectations after Round 1

(Oldest Posts First)

Well, my optimistic outlook for the season ahead took a nosedive today against Westmeath. Where do I start........

what has changed I asked myself? First competitive league encounter and we conceded yet another cricket score. Damian has to realise that the days of playing open expansive football are gone for the teams outside of Dublin, Mayo and Kerry.

How much pressure are you putting on our attacking players to win matches when our defence is giving shooting practice to the opposition. Can't fault the players for effort but if we continue to chase games instead of controlling them then we are free falling to Division 4.

The management has to go out and entice Dermott McBride, the Heavron brothers and McGuckin back onto the panel as I feel we have too many inexperienced players on the panel. A core of experienced players on the starting 15 would help with game management and provide guidance to the more inexperienced players.

I don't want to hear 'if we had the Slaughtneil' contingent'. We don't and we have to deal with it and others have to step-up. Unfortunately some players who could fill the void have not been asked onto the county panel or have declined the invitation to play.

Damian needs an experienced mentor on the sideline with him as his inexperience was evident today.

I can't believe I am saying this but 'next weeks game v Longford is a must win' and Derry has an appallingly bad record away to Longford. We can only afford one defeat if we are serious about promotion and that means we will have to go away to Fermanagh and Armagh and win which will be a huge ask.

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 290 - 29/01/2018 02:00:41    2071735

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "Well, my optimistic outlook for the season ahead took a nosedive today against Westmeath. Where do I start........

what has changed I asked myself? First competitive league encounter and we conceded yet another cricket score. Damian has to realise that the days of playing open expansive football are gone for the teams outside of Dublin, Mayo and Kerry.

How much pressure are you putting on our attacking players to win matches when our defence is giving shooting practice to the opposition. Can't fault the players for effort but if we continue to chase games instead of controlling them then we are free falling to Division 4.

The management has to go out and entice Dermott McBride, the Heavron brothers and McGuckin back onto the panel as I feel we have too many inexperienced players on the panel. A core of experienced players on the starting 15 would help with game management and provide guidance to the more inexperienced players.

I don't want to hear 'if we had the Slaughtneil' contingent'. We don't and we have to deal with it and others have to step-up. Unfortunately some players who could fill the void have not been asked onto the county panel or have declined the invitation to play.

Damian needs an experienced mentor on the sideline with him as his inexperience was evident today.

I can't believe I am saying this but 'next weeks game v Longford is a must win' and Derry has an appallingly bad record away to Longford. We can only afford one defeat if we are serious about promotion and that means we will have to go away to Fermanagh and Armagh and win which will be a huge ask."
Would take a different view entirely to be honest. Derry had a relatively young side out and even allowing for the players who are back in the panel, it's fair to say they weren't the most experienced at inter county football anyway.

We have to accept young players are going to make mistakes, I don't see how the manager can be at fault for the first goal, that was a collection of basic errors by players on the pitch. Opposition are then given a penalty out of nowhere.

So what was always going to be a difficult game became much more harder. I thought the response of the players was to be admired. We contested all kick outs and committed men to the attack. Of course we didn't help ourselves at times, I thought some of the hand passing in particular was poor leading to turnovers which ultimately led to scores and a few players were rash in the tackle giving away scoreable free's.

Despite all that, we missed a last minute penalty, a great goal chance 5 minutes before that and still only lost by 3 points?

Promotion for me was never on the cards, given the age profile of the squad and the omission of the slaughtneil men for realistically the entire league. Next weeks game will be must win, but no games in this division will be handy. I still feel I seen enough yesterday to suggest whilst promotion wont happen, Derry should have enough to stay within the division.

unclederry (Derry) - Posts: 67 - 29/01/2018 13:54:21    2071951

Link