Westmeath Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Chops:  "If you read the articles on hoganstand over the past 7-8 weeks you'd see that reasons were clearly given. Sharry wanted a break and is in 2 minds over taking a year out. Kevin Maguire is travelling in South America, McDaniels has transferred to Dublin and is working there and would not commit to travelling up and down for training/games."
McDaniels was togged out on Sunday. Would be a good addition to have him back.

ondeball (Westmeath) - Posts: 88 - 07/02/2018 09:33:50    2074736

Link

The thing that disappointed me most from Sunday was the lack of a kick-out strategy of any sort. Seemed to always be kick it out long and hope we win the mark. I don't think it was Carberys fault as he was just doing what he was told and nobody ever seemed to be looking for it short. After Armagh scored the peno they won the next 3 kick-outs and scored 3 points in quick succession which killed us off. we needed to get possession and take the sting out of them for a few mins

martyW (Westmeath) - Posts: 193 - 07/02/2018 09:41:17    2074741

Link

Back on track.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 55 - 12/02/2018 00:03:12    2076067

Link

The amount of possession and wides is concerning. We should have had Wexford buried 10 mins into second half. With Offaly Longford and Fermanagh we wont get that luxury.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 717 - 12/02/2018 09:55:30    2076104

Link

They should have got at least 3 goals yesterday. On numerous times there was a free man with a goal on but the players just took the point which was disappointing. We need to be a lot more ruthless going forward as against better opposition you will be punished for not taking these chances. On the positives, Carberry pulled off two very good saves and Loughlin kicked a few very good points. If the Meath games goes ahead next week it will be good to give Coyne, Gardiner a few others a run out. Coyne has does well on every game he has come on.

Matthew (None) - Posts: 818 - 12/02/2018 11:54:48    2076169

Link

I think we are doing ok in the Div 3,realistically the best we should be hoping for is another win or 2 to secure our div 3 status,I think anymore than that and it would be a major bonus.I don't see this team capable of getting to div 2 ,Armagh will take one spot and possibly will be joined by either Fermanagh or Longford.

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 722 - 12/02/2018 11:58:19    2076172

Link

i disagree with footiemad . i think we can get promoted . we have fermanagh at home . a game we can win . the pivotal game will be longford in pearse park . i think the winner of that game will get the second spot with armagh .

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 968 - 12/02/2018 12:30:19    2076188

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "i disagree with footiemad . i think we can get promoted . we have fermanagh at home . a game we can win . the pivotal game will be longford in pearse park . i think the winner of that game will get the second spot with armagh ."
Problem is Mick we seem to write Fermanagh off every time we play them and they bite us in the rear end. We are forgetting about Offaly too are we not?? Only a kick of a ball between both sides usually. And Longford look strong.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 717 - 12/02/2018 13:24:01    2076217

Link

chops i will write of offaly . they are in dissaray and if our minds are right we will beat them convincingly. i take your point about fermanagh and i would worry about our full back line in that game . my biggest worry is longford . by all accouts they were extremely unlucky yesterday in armagh . if we keep our eye on the ball i think we can beat them but i certainly am not confident of it

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 968 - 12/02/2018 13:53:50    2076231

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "chops i will write of offaly . they are in dissaray and if our minds are right we will beat them convincingly. i take your point about fermanagh and i would worry about our full back line in that game . my biggest worry is longford . by all accouts they were extremely unlucky yesterday in armagh . if we keep our eye on the ball i think we can beat them but i certainly am not confident of it"
So therefore Mick you do actually agree with me and and don't think we will get promoted?

footiemad (Westmeath) - Posts: 722 - 12/02/2018 14:27:52    2076243

Link

how could Westmeath look down at Offaly and Longford?
two counties who regularly beat us at county level

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 507 - 12/02/2018 14:33:51    2076248

Link

chops if all things fall into place we can do it and i hope they do . it was good to see jamie gonoud getting game time yesterday and to be fair if we were a bit more ruthless we could have been out of sight . happy with progress so far . i take
it we have no o byrne cup final on sunday and the break will do them good

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 968 - 12/02/2018 14:57:07    2076261

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "chops if all things fall into place we can do it and i hope they do . it was good to see jamie gonoud getting game time yesterday and to be fair if we were a bit more ruthless we could have been out of sight . happy with progress so far . i take
it we have no o byrne cup final on sunday and the break will do them good"
Two wins and a loss isn't bad. Teams will take points off others so we can afford to lose one more game but that said we need to be ruthless with likes of Offaly and Longford if we want to get out of division.

maroonkingdom (Westmeath) - Posts: 27 - 12/02/2018 15:21:53    2076273

Link

Our first goal is to preserve Division 3 status. It looks like we have done that. Longford would seem to be second favourites for promotion now. If we could improve our dismal record against Ulster teams and beat Fermanagh we will be in the mix.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 411 - 12/02/2018 21:58:03    2076399

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "chops if all things fall into place we can do it and i hope they do . it was good to see jamie gonoud getting game time yesterday and to be fair if we were a bit more ruthless we could have been out of sight . happy with progress so far . i take
it we have no o byrne cup final on sunday and the break will do them good"
I do agree we can do it, we will need other teams to do us favours too. But I don't think Offaly will give us the easy ride you think. No matter how bad they are they always up their game for us. Recent results will show generally there is never much more than a kick of a ball between us apart from the replay in Mullingar last year, we generally get dragged into a scrappy dog fight. Longford will need to drop points in my opinion and we cannot afford to lose more than 1 more game to cross the line.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 717 - 13/02/2018 17:25:07    2076588

Link