Longford Forum

National Football League 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think what made the end so contentious was the fact the ref let alot of fouling go on for the majority of the game for both sides but then ultimately became whistle happy in the last 5 mins which definitely suited us...i felt that the last free that led to the wining score was a free but the free before that to level the game was definitely touch n go.....definitely a steal for fermanagh, commiserations to longford..wishing yous all the best in the championship!!

abitawit (Fermanagh) - Posts: 272 - 25/03/2018 23:32:49    2088049

Link

Replying To green.and.gold:  "Gutted for ye lads ye were robbed today. Keep the heads up ye have Sean McCormack, Mickey Quinn and probably James McGivney to come into that team for the Meath match in championship, ye are more than capable of winning that."
Tks greenandgold. It's the players I feel sorry for. We all know in this part of the world, that it's a uphill battle. Players like ours and yours, it's a different sacrifice they make to play in their county Jersey, for very little other than pride. The very least they expect is fair play. The players were very frustrated and extremely gutted. If you lose, lose cause the other team were better than you, lose fair and square. That did not happen today, but we also should not have allowed it to be in hands of the officials. At one stage, there was even a "runner" out on the field for several of the longford kickouts, directing the fermanagh players, where to mark up!!!!...i kid you not!!...and the same runner directed the free taker to bring on the final free about 10yds from where it should've been...and officials looking at this..longford players go to point this out and they're waved away!!!!...farcical....i don't blame fermanagh, they took whatever was going, foolish not to, and best of luck to them...unfortunately this is the third time this has happened in last 12 months or so..last year v donegal, when Bernard Flynn, meath, went on a rant on radio 1, about decisions costing the smaller teams games, then v armagh this year when their own oisin mcconville tweeted how upset he would be if he were a longford supporter leaving the ground..bad when a teams own legend is saying it??.....anyway time to move on now. Tks for the post, and here's to good runs for both in summer, whatever form they take!!

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 105 - 26/03/2018 00:23:10    2088068

Link

Fairly high levels of hysteria on social media and radio yesterday after the game. The ref had a big influence in the end, but the game was as much lost because Longford squandered a 3 point lead and couldn't hold on to the ball for the 30 seconds needed to close it out at the end. Inability to close out big games is a hindrance when you are not so used to winning and is symptomatic of why this team (although they have progressed massively and deserve credit for a good season) are not quite Division 2 material yet. That is a hard reality, no need for the hysteria or nonsense voiced yesterday about northern refs. How anyone could reason with a straight face that referees would actively be against Longford (what earthly reason would there be for that?), or moreover how anyone could reason that somehow northern refs only want their own province teams to win (have you ever been to Ulster games?), is beyond me, and frankly beyond reason. If the ref was from Laois and we drew the game and qualified, would you find a Fermanagh argument about Leinster refs 'sticking together' credible? The ref deserves criticism and lots of it, but only as much as the team in the final analysis. I feel for the players who will feel a massive punch in the gut at the end of a solid campaign - but some players clearly need to know how that punch feels, because learning to close out the big games is a massively important capability. In the end we were better than we thought, but annoyingly better than we ended up. Onward to a confident performance and win over Meath and some good performances in the qualifiers. Trend is still upward.

arcadia (Longford) - Posts: 39 - 26/03/2018 10:42:43    2088167

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Fairly high levels of hysteria on social media and radio yesterday after the game. The ref had a big influence in the end, but the game was as much lost because Longford squandered a 3 point lead and couldn't hold on to the ball for the 30 seconds needed to close it out at the end. Inability to close out big games is a hindrance when you are not so used to winning and is symptomatic of why this team (although they have progressed massively and deserve credit for a good season) are not quite Division 2 material yet. That is a hard reality, no need for the hysteria or nonsense voiced yesterday about northern refs. How anyone could reason with a straight face that referees would actively be against Longford (what earthly reason would there be for that?), or moreover how anyone could reason that somehow northern refs only want their own province teams to win (have you ever been to Ulster games?), is beyond me, and frankly beyond reason. If the ref was from Laois and we drew the game and qualified, would you find a Fermanagh argument about Leinster refs 'sticking together' credible? The ref deserves criticism and lots of it, but only as much as the team in the final analysis. I feel for the players who will feel a massive punch in the gut at the end of a solid campaign - but some players clearly need to know how that punch feels, because learning to close out the big games is a massively important capability. In the end we were better than we thought, but annoyingly better than we ended up. Onward to a confident performance and win over Meath and some good performances in the qualifiers. Trend is still upward."
Good post Arcadia,i would agree ref made so bad calls - For Longford,Full forward fouled in first half after kicked shot and in second half when number 11 made super run free could have been given,plus i would say Fermanaghs second last free scored was questionable foul, though Fermanagh had similar fouls not given on Breen and Seamie Quigley first half.

Longford will be kicking themselves as had lost of possession but probably didnt move the ball quickly enough and drive on for scores of frees to clinch it,knowing a draw is enough can hinder a team in that situation.
Definitely you are a team on the up and i know with Quinn and McCormack to add to the team certainly great potential to test meath in Leinster plus to push into division two next year.

macca999 (Fermanagh) - Posts: 816 - 26/03/2018 11:09:55    2088189

Link

Replying To arcadia:  "Fairly high levels of hysteria on social media and radio yesterday after the game. The ref had a big influence in the end, but the game was as much lost because Longford squandered a 3 point lead and couldn't hold on to the ball for the 30 seconds needed to close it out at the end. Inability to close out big games is a hindrance when you are not so used to winning and is symptomatic of why this team (although they have progressed massively and deserve credit for a good season) are not quite Division 2 material yet. That is a hard reality, no need for the hysteria or nonsense voiced yesterday about northern refs. How anyone could reason with a straight face that referees would actively be against Longford (what earthly reason would there be for that?), or moreover how anyone could reason that somehow northern refs only want their own province teams to win (have you ever been to Ulster games?), is beyond me, and frankly beyond reason. If the ref was from Laois and we drew the game and qualified, would you find a Fermanagh argument about Leinster refs 'sticking together' credible? The ref deserves criticism and lots of it, but only as much as the team in the final analysis. I feel for the players who will feel a massive punch in the gut at the end of a solid campaign - but some players clearly need to know how that punch feels, because learning to close out the big games is a massively important capability. In the end we were better than we thought, but annoyingly better than we ended up. Onward to a confident performance and win over Meath and some good performances in the qualifiers. Trend is still upward."
Agree 100% with all of this

iluvspuds (Longford) - Posts: 125 - 26/03/2018 11:17:17    2088193

Link

Yes we can blame the ref for not giving berry and Brady frees to put us 3 up...yes we can complain that the last two frees and even the penalty were soft....and Also the fact that Quigley nearly ran from outside the 45 to the 21 to tap the winning score over...but where we lost it was the last few minutes as I seen pointed out on a post on Twitter. Why o why did we go long with our last couple of kick outs instead of looking for the short one that worked so well for us. We can't blame paddy Collum for that as it looked like our outfield players were afraid to look for the ball. Collum had no choice but to go long and we lost every one of them that resulted in scores for Fermanagh. On to Meath now and hopefully McCormack will be back fit for that one.

Spinx (Longford) - Posts: 844 - 26/03/2018 15:01:48    2088320

Link

We stole it.

ERNEDEVIL (Fermanagh) - Posts: 28 - 26/03/2018 22:01:57    2088515

Link

Replying To ERNEDEVIL:  "We stole it."
Ye did, and if it was in reverse, I wouldn't give a sh*te!!!....hope ur now.perform well in div 2!!

Longfordbaz (Longford) - Posts: 105 - 28/03/2018 13:19:48    2089027

Link