Sligo Forum

Club Scene 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Exemption:  "My only issue with the draft calendar is we are starting the warm up competition pretty much in April and finishing it in July.......Is this a concerted effort to move away from the notion of a warm up competition? If so I don't think we need a 3rd competition to be honest. Why not play this off in the 6 weeks from mid February to end of March and allow players to work on their fitness via games rather than 6 weeks of training? No inter-county players would be playing in this club warm up anyway so no issue there....I'm sure there is some reason for the late start but have not heard what it is"
The start of the league isn't that late maybe 2 weeks but with the weather recently most pitches aren't playable yet anyways. Some teams may play 5 games in april also with 4 league and a benson cup tie. My issue would be why are the finals still being held in october now that the all ireland final is earlier.

westvoice (Sligo) - Posts: 30 - 13/02/2018 11:49:01    2076486

Link

Replying To Exemption:  "My only issue with the draft calendar is we are starting the warm up competition pretty much in April and finishing it in July.......Is this a concerted effort to move away from the notion of a warm up competition? If so I don't think we need a 3rd competition to be honest. Why not play this off in the 6 weeks from mid February to end of March and allow players to work on their fitness via games rather than 6 weeks of training? No inter-county players would be playing in this club warm up anyway so no issue there....I'm sure there is some reason for the late start but have not heard what it is"
I can think of a few reasons for the late start. With county finals in October the season is long enough. Secondly, have you noticed the weather? Can you imagine what pitches would be like if you were playing games now?

We're pretty lucky in Sligo that the fixtures are easier to run off than other bigger counties where both codes are played by all/most clubs. Best to try to target playing most of your games in the better times of the year.

No mention of amalgamations on calendar.....probably not the place for it. Any word since or has it died a death?

an_broc (Sligo) - Posts: 18 - 13/02/2018 11:52:14    2076487

Link

No clubs have applied to amalgamate for the senior championship

As someone else said the co finals in October of all grades (senior etc) and hurling final is ridiculous. And the connacht comp reply is spurious as lets say Molaise win senior, it will be beer for a week or two, in fact in senior if it is anyone but Tour it will be party time for all concerned, same in inter. So better to play it in Sept get the beer out of the way and then have a week or two to get ready for connacht.

overinthewest (Sligo) - Posts: 119 - 13/02/2018 12:13:48    2076494

Link

It's funny that weather is been put up as an excuse for the later start....we are talking about football in Sligo where the weather will be largely poor most of the year! and yes, I can imagine what pitches would be like as we used to play in February regularly up until a few years ago......If pitches were not playable fair enough the game can be postponed with no great detriment to the annual calendar....however when games will be inevitably called off later in the year due to weather or something else it has a greater knock on effect.....You say the year is too long? the finals of the warm up competition finals were played in November last year so that's that argument for a later start knocked on the head....I'd rather have November off than February.....as I say I'm sure there's a reason but I've yet to hear a logical one.

Exemption (Sligo) - Posts: 35 - 15/02/2018 10:37:18    2077007

Link