Limerick Forum

GAA club scene in serious trouble

(Oldest Posts First)

I think we need to have a serious look at where gaa clubs in this and other Counties are heading before it is too late.With so much emphasis placed on county teams and development teams ,clubs and club players are being classed as second grade expected to wait for action while county teams are in action.Just look at how rural clubs are struggling.Amalgamations are common place and only cities and large urban towns can command the numbers required to maintain clubs thrive on their own for the forseeable future.But it is the rural club that made the gaa the huge entity it has become and now it is been forgotten.Its scary how many clubs have joined up to be able to field teams especially at underage level.Players are been lost to other sports and to rural clubs this cant be sustained.Someone needs to cry stop and do something.The GAA club is the hub of the rural community.We cant allow it to fade away like our creameries,post offices and shops.

flyinghigh (Kerry) - Posts: 195 - 21/01/2018 13:46:32    2069656

Link

There is an issue, huge issue surrounding clubs and the lack of support they are getting. However there are many small clubs that are simply not viable and they need to bite the bullet and amalgamate and form strong clubs with good resources. Clubs come and go, that's sport. What's really bad are the club's hanging on by a thread who won't take action and amalgamate or wind up. They struggle year on year. But why do that. It's not sustainable. The GAA is built on rural clubs but not tiny failing clubs...its built on strong sustainable competitive clubs.

PeggyShippen (Limerick) - Posts: 300 - 21/01/2018 18:34:30    2069711

Link

P.S.I think it is only in the last few years that amalgamations have become rampant.Are we going to have to accept that our clubs will go the way of rural shops .bars and creameries ? Almost every parish has a gaa pitch which also doubles as a meeting place for so many in our communities who are seen such places rapidly disappearing,By joining we immediately lose players who have kept numbers up.Now joining is seen as a means to win something by bringing the elite of the combining clubs together and ignoring the ones that struggled to make the team in their own club,Will amalgamated clubs always stay together and what happens when relations break down? Where do clubs turn then? What is considered a viable club? Surely all clubs should be encouraged and helped to stand alone.There are enough levels at every grade to give competing clubs a chance of being competitive.Nothing will ever beat the pride of the parish .Even if success is only gained by so few.It is the dream of winning that has kept many clubs going.Lets try keep it like that .

flyinghigh (Kerry) - Posts: 195 - 22/01/2018 19:22:06    2069950

Link

as a ground level member of the GAA, i can honestly say that i feel this is happening simply due to the same people being left burdened with handling teams and clubs affairs year in and out, its these people that are ringing players, driving around for players and having heartbreak when they dont turn up etc. I am afraid no one has time for this and yes Mentor burnout is and issue also!!!, In reality it is only big clubs that dont have these struggles, its a constant struggle and i think its easy for people to say "why are they joining with them" , "look at the size of the parish" etc.. but if you dont know the struggle then you cant comment. and this notion that clubs join to win something!! this is a notion truly only thought of by, in my opinion big club members who havent trolled the roads , pubs , etc looking for players to fufill a fixture! and yes you do lose players when clubs join but on the other hand i have seen some very good players get dillusioned and also leave the GAA as their team/club is limping through just fulfilling fixtures with no ambition! In essence its a no win situation but for survival its a necessity!

JohnMcArthur (Limerick) - Posts: 36 - 22/02/2018 14:36:14    2079216

Link

Replying To JohnMcArthur:  "as a ground level member of the GAA, i can honestly say that i feel this is happening simply due to the same people being left burdened with handling teams and clubs affairs year in and out, its these people that are ringing players, driving around for players and having heartbreak when they dont turn up etc. I am afraid no one has time for this and yes Mentor burnout is and issue also!!!, In reality it is only big clubs that dont have these struggles, its a constant struggle and i think its easy for people to say "why are they joining with them" , "look at the size of the parish" etc.. but if you dont know the struggle then you cant comment. and this notion that clubs join to win something!! this is a notion truly only thought of by, in my opinion big club members who havent trolled the roads , pubs , etc looking for players to fufill a fixture! and yes you do lose players when clubs join but on the other hand i have seen some very good players get dillusioned and also leave the GAA as their team/club is limping through just fulfilling fixtures with no ambition! In essence its a no win situation but for survival its a necessity!"
Couldn't agree more with you, every word you said is the truth.

cityman73 (Limerick) - Posts: 315 - 22/02/2018 19:21:55    2079310

Link

Replying To JohnMcArthur:  "as a ground level member of the GAA, i can honestly say that i feel this is happening simply due to the same people being left burdened with handling teams and clubs affairs year in and out, its these people that are ringing players, driving around for players and having heartbreak when they dont turn up etc. I am afraid no one has time for this and yes Mentor burnout is and issue also!!!, In reality it is only big clubs that dont have these struggles, its a constant struggle and i think its easy for people to say "why are they joining with them" , "look at the size of the parish" etc.. but if you dont know the struggle then you cant comment. and this notion that clubs join to win something!! this is a notion truly only thought of by, in my opinion big club members who havent trolled the roads , pubs , etc looking for players to fufill a fixture! and yes you do lose players when clubs join but on the other hand i have seen some very good players get dillusioned and also leave the GAA as their team/club is limping through just fulfilling fixtures with no ambition! In essence its a no win situation but for survival its a necessity!"
I think you have got to the crux of the issue here. I'm a member of a club that is very similar to what you describe. We have good numbers at underage but very little by way of parents volunteering to train them or even assist. Mentor burn out is a very real issue. Another one is complacency at board level. Relationships built up at county board level and with other clubs cam often supersede the needs of their own club when this mindset and decline sets in.

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - Posts: 85 - 23/02/2018 13:02:41    2079446

Link