USA Forum

New York 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Although an amazing atmosphere and day in gaelic park I have to agree with gaa_lover that NY should have beat that Leitrim team which was very poor. It was there for the taking and how they didnt is mind boggling. With a few mins to go and up by 2 points kill the clock by whatever means necessary. Having watched new york the past three years I cant understand how people are saying that this was the best new york team in years. It is my belief that the team that got beaten by Roscommon two years ago by a point would have won that game yesterday by 10+ points. Roscommon were a high flying division 1 team that would have been beaten on the day if there was a fair referee and a few more minutes put on the clock like there was yesterday. That roscommon team then beat a better leitrim team than was on show yesterday by 15 points in the next round that year. I think last years team also would have got past that leitrim team. Its just very dissappointing because in that first 15 minutes although up by 6 points it could easily have been 9 or 12 points if one or two of those very scorable goal chances had have been taken. Couldnt believe Clarke missed that 25 yard free right infront of the goals in the 2nd half but thought he generally was a major benefit to the NY cause and hopefully he sticks around this time. Thought the wexford lad and Shane Hogan were excellent. David Freemam was very good in extra time when he was dropped deeper and allowed to run at the leitrim defence with some great passes into the full forward line and Clarke in particular. Cunniffe was very strong at the back. Thought the meath lad dalton was good in patches but clearly not fit enough. Onwards to next year.....

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 07/05/2018 14:16:30    2097083

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Although an amazing atmosphere and day in gaelic park I have to agree with gaa_lover that NY should have beat that Leitrim team which was very poor. It was there for the taking and how they didnt is mind boggling. With a few mins to go and up by 2 points kill the clock by whatever means necessary. Having watched new york the past three years I cant understand how people are saying that this was the best new york team in years. It is my belief that the team that got beaten by Roscommon two years ago by a point would have won that game yesterday by 10+ points. Roscommon were a high flying division 1 team that would have been beaten on the day if there was a fair referee and a few more minutes put on the clock like there was yesterday. That roscommon team then beat a better leitrim team than was on show yesterday by 15 points in the next round that year. I think last years team also would have got past that leitrim team. Its just very dissappointing because in that first 15 minutes although up by 6 points it could easily have been 9 or 12 points if one or two of those very scorable goal chances had have been taken. Couldnt believe Clarke missed that 25 yard free right infront of the goals in the 2nd half but thought he generally was a major benefit to the NY cause and hopefully he sticks around this time. Thought the wexford lad and Shane Hogan were excellent. David Freemam was very good in extra time when he was dropped deeper and allowed to run at the leitrim defence with some great passes into the full forward line and Clarke in particular. Cunniffe was very strong at the back. Thought the meath lad dalton was good in patches but clearly not fit enough. Onwards to next year....."
The team that played Roscommon went so so close but I believe they caught a Roscommon team that day who were down a large number of players. On paper yesterday's team was the strongest I've seen in many a year. It was the perfect storm for NY. A poor poor reeling Leitrim and a strong New York backed by a number of proven County players. It's harsh but I believe NY should in no way have lost that game.

nyny (USA) - Posts: 195 - 07/05/2018 15:28:11    2097095

Link

Replying To nyny:  "The team that played Roscommon went so so close but I believe they caught a Roscommon team that day who were down a large number of players. On paper yesterday's team was the strongest I've seen in many a year. It was the perfect storm for NY. A poor poor reeling Leitrim and a strong New York backed by a number of proven County players. It's harsh but I believe NY should in no way have lost that game."
Roscommon were at full strength but i do think there was an element of shock and awe that day that roscommon were not expecting. Sligo and Leitrim both came into town this past two years with their eyes wider than open. I agree nyny it was a matter of NY throwing that game away than Leitrim winning it. NY should have had them dead and buried in normal time. In extra time although we went up again Leitrim did kick about 5 consecutive wides that most other county teams would not have missed. Those misses allowed NY the opportunity to battle back and take that 3 point lead going into the last 5 mins that noone in the stadium thought they would relinguish. On paper it was a very strong team but I heard before the game that many of the big name players joined the squad late, refused to do the hard slog training, went on recent holidays. Several of those big name players wouldnt join the squad last year. It was there for the taking yesterday and as an avid NY supporter it is just very dissappoiting that we arent in full celebration mode today.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 07/05/2018 16:26:57    2097109

Link

That was as tense a match as I've been at in a while. I thought Jamie Clarke was excellent. He made a few mistakes - the free that hit the post, and the hand- pass that went wide when New York were 2-on-1 in front of goal in the first half. But he was a class above most on the pitch. He has an amazing knack for making an extra yard of space to get his shot off despite the defender knowing what he wants to do.

I think New York needed to be more cynical at the end of extra-time. For all the beautiful football Dublin and Mayo and Kerry play, they are dirty when they have the lead with time almost up. New York should have tactically fouled in Leitrim's half to stop the last couple of attacks.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Was an amazing atmosphere, and was heartbreaking to lose in the way they did.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 126 - 07/05/2018 18:17:47    2097130

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Roscommon were at full strength but i do think there was an element of shock and awe that day that roscommon were not expecting. Sligo and Leitrim both came into town this past two years with their eyes wider than open. I agree nyny it was a matter of NY throwing that game away than Leitrim winning it. NY should have had them dead and buried in normal time. In extra time although we went up again Leitrim did kick about 5 consecutive wides that most other county teams would not have missed. Those misses allowed NY the opportunity to battle back and take that 3 point lead going into the last 5 mins that noone in the stadium thought they would relinguish. On paper it was a very strong team but I heard before the game that many of the big name players joined the squad late, refused to do the hard slog training, went on recent holidays. Several of those big name players wouldnt join the squad last year. It was there for the taking yesterday and as an avid NY supporter it is just very dissappoiting that we arent in full celebration mode today."
Well that's simply not true in regards Roscommon. Enda smith Ian kilbride ciaran caffrekey and Kevin higgins among others didn't even travel along with three more. This was coupled with withdrawals from the panel meant Roscommon were down 9-10 starters. I've connections in Roscommon and we knew they were very much weakened going into that game. We still didn't expect it to be as close in the end. New York have had a few things break their way th last few years. Sligo were missing their best player in niall Murphy last year too yet went on to a comfortable 8 point win in the end. This year was the year for the win as in reality Leitrim wouldn't beat a really good club team.

nyny (USA) - Posts: 195 - 07/05/2018 18:36:39    2097134

Link

Replying To nyny:  "Well that's simply not true in regards Roscommon. Enda smith Ian kilbride ciaran caffrekey and Kevin higgins among others didn't even travel along with three more. This was coupled with withdrawals from the panel meant Roscommon were down 9-10 starters. I've connections in Roscommon and we knew they were very much weakened going into that game. We still didn't expect it to be as close in the end. New York have had a few things break their way th last few years. Sligo were missing their best player in niall Murphy last year too yet went on to a comfortable 8 point win in the end. This year was the year for the win as in reality Leitrim wouldn't beat a really good club team."
Nyny I am originally from Roscommon and I can tell you that in 2016 in the Connaught semi final or final only enda smith that you mention came on as sub in the final. Maybe if you compare the team to future or previous connaght campaigns we were missing players but for that year in question that the Rossies got to the connaught final against new york they were at full strength minus ok enda smith. If they werent at full strength then the team against leitrim in the semi final and galway in the final would have been drastically different which it wasnt. Thats my point.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 07/05/2018 19:38:22    2097140

Link

If NY were playing a Wicklow, Limerick or Waterford yesterday they would have won. Sure if they played Leitrim every year then they would have won a game by now. It's a pity that some other counties outside of connacht don't get the opportunity to play over there too. It's great for the ex-pats from the connacht counties but I am sure the ones from other provences would love their county coming over for the big game too. They best way for NY to improve IMO is get the lads legal - then compete in division 4, get a better championship deal than the rotating connacht one now, lowest ranked county in each provence from end of NFL on a rotating basis around the provences or similar

leitrim4sam (Leitrim) - Posts: 373 - 07/05/2018 22:46:26    2097174

Link

Heartbreaking for the ny players, management, and genuine supporters. The past 3 years haved proved new york are good enough. It surely has to be talked about that ny deserve a shot at the qualifiers. Before that its time for the gaa to put all the millions and millions sitting in their bank account to use. Getting Corofin was great but that was their own team holiday and they were hardly off the plane. One option is during the course of the leagues send 1 team from each divsion to come play new york. That gives them at least 4 actual games. OR, Another option would be for the gaa to award the all ireland senior county winners, all ireland senior club winners, and a non-connacht provicial senior county winner a trip to new york on the basis of first and forermost giving ny a game and then have their holiday. Not saying the gaa should pay every penny of those 2 options but they def have the money to cover most of it! Another small note, the home support for ny really needs to improve. Really poor atmosphere again with alot of the crowd just there for the day out and hardly watched the match. Could hear a pin drop at times despite a brilliant game. Im sure the players would rather play in front of 2000 that care instead of 4 or 5 thousand that wont be seen again til next may

carlow80s (Carlow) - Posts: 5 - 09/05/2018 03:15:01    2097432

Link

Good photos of the New York v Leitrim game at:
https://peter-marney.smugmug.com/Gaelic-Park/Gaelic-Football-Connacht-Championship-NY-v-Leitrim-2018/

Gaa Fan (USA) - Posts: 439 - 09/05/2018 14:57:30    2097588

Link

Although disappointing, Sunday was a great day for NYGAA and Gaelic Park. Largest crowd I can remember in the last 10 years. All development squads won their matches with camogie and hurling winning by large scores. Development footballers looked great against a strong, older Boston team.

The main forum is debating entering New York into the national league and many are giving their options and different options. I am wondering is it time to re-enter a New York hurling squad into championship? With the Joe McDonagh, Christy Ring, and Nicky Rackard Cups to be played for, this will allow counties from around Ireland their day out in New York that many posters are envious of. New York hurling has been in a resurgence in recent years with many underage, Junior, and now three senior teams this year. Would like to hear what others think

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 34 - 09/05/2018 17:42:10    2097635

Link

Ok, so the season is just about to get into full swing in the Park. Any insights/thoughts on how it will play out in all Divisions?

ranger (None) - Posts: 164 - 10/05/2018 13:16:43    2097824

Link

SFC - Longford to win and Monaghan to run them close
IFC - Sligo to win and Brooklyn to run them close
JFC - Dublin and Kerry to run them close

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 10/05/2018 16:12:04    2097896

Link

Over the past few years the biggest gripe that players have had in new york and which has actually resulted in many footballers just not playing is a lack of a fixed schedule. It has been stressed to the county board on so many occasions but yet here we are on May 11th and the schedule has only been fixed through May 20th. No adjustments have been made to the schedule since early April. Absolute disgrace. No doubt next week sometime when somebody gets around to it there will be games scheduled from May 21st through the rest of May and then managers will be scrambling to contact players to see if they are available on such short notice. Players show their frustrations to the manager who tries to smooth over the issue by saying 'the full schedule will be out soon, this wont happen again' but we all know it will. NY county board or whoever is in charge of scheduling get your shit together and stop using manhattan college as an excuse as they are 10 times more organized than the NY GAA and I am sure they have their games scheduled through the end of the summer. Last year bye ball was given since a new surface was being applied to gaelic park (clubs kept in the dark) that meant the IFC final wasnt played until late October. I can tell you if that happens this year with lack of clarity on the schedule alot of players will be turning their back on the sport they love in this town.

Patsy1916 (USA) - Posts: 136 - 11/05/2018 16:55:20    2099324

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Over the past few years the biggest gripe that players have had in new york and which has actually resulted in many footballers just not playing is a lack of a fixed schedule. It has been stressed to the county board on so many occasions but yet here we are on May 11th and the schedule has only been fixed through May 20th. No adjustments have been made to the schedule since early April. Absolute disgrace. No doubt next week sometime when somebody gets around to it there will be games scheduled from May 21st through the rest of May and then managers will be scrambling to contact players to see if they are available on such short notice. Players show their frustrations to the manager who tries to smooth over the issue by saying 'the full schedule will be out soon, this wont happen again' but we all know it will. NY county board or whoever is in charge of scheduling get your shit together and stop using manhattan college as an excuse as they are 10 times more organized than the NY GAA and I am sure they have their games scheduled through the end of the summer. Last year bye ball was given since a new surface was being applied to gaelic park (clubs kept in the dark) that meant the IFC final wasnt played until late October. I can tell you if that happens this year with lack of clarity on the schedule alot of players will be turning their back on the sport they love in this town."
Well said. We are all sick of the laissez faire attitude from the NY County board regarding fixtures. Always left to the last minute, which is simply not good enough. I was chatting one club manager the other day who informed me that they have already wrote a letter to the County Board in both a request and plea to not fixture games Memorial weekend (going back to Patsy1916 comment - Memorial weekend is 2 weeks away and we are still in the dark). Clubs have been hung out to dry in the past with memorial weekend fixtures and no team as players are living their lives.
With regards to the upcoming Championship:
Senior - is it true Donegal have folded? Similar to Leitrim a few years ago, every club has its day. The lavish spending is not sustainable. Longford will be hard bet looking at the transfer and home base they have. Its a toss between them and Monaghan. If Donegal are indeed gone, it should create a more level playing field. Be interesting to see how Kerry and Barnabas goes.
Intermediate - I see Cavan are back in the mix. They won it two years ago, folded as they objected to going senior and are now reinstated straight back into Intermediate. Its hard look past Sligo to win it this year (although I have said that the last 2 years). Westmeath will also be there or there abouts. As we all know, Summer sanctions can prove the difference for any team.
Junior - Not overly familiar with this division but you would have to imagine Cork or Dublin will prevail.

TractorTom4 (Australia) - Posts: 14 - 11/05/2018 17:20:26    2099399

Link

i heard talk of a players union back at Christmas. pity it never happened as the scheduling is a joke again. no regard for the players. i think all the ny players should come together and say enough is enough.

totm (Dublin) - Posts: 11 - 12/05/2018 03:49:36    2099772

Link

I see a couple of matches have been no shows already! Not a good start to the season. I agree in the years past, the schedule was very slow coming out, 2 week schedules at most. Senior im guessing is all Longford (they are the new Leitrim/Donegal with all the transfers and $ spent) Intermediate will be very competetive again with Sligo, Cavan and Brooklynn in the mix. Cant rule out Mayo or Rangers making a push either. Junior A could be any number of teams. Dublin i would imagine will make a strong push but Barnabas, Cork, Kerry or even Manhattan might be challenging as well. Junior B will be interesting with the few new teams in the mix, so any team can win it.

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 145 - 12/05/2018 14:15:17    2099820

Link

Replying To Patsy1916:  "Over the past few years the biggest gripe that players have had in new york and which has actually resulted in many footballers just not playing is a lack of a fixed schedule. It has been stressed to the county board on so many occasions but yet here we are on May 11th and the schedule has only been fixed through May 20th. No adjustments have been made to the schedule since early April. Absolute disgrace. No doubt next week sometime when somebody gets around to it there will be games scheduled from May 21st through the rest of May and then managers will be scrambling to contact players to see if they are available on such short notice. Players show their frustrations to the manager who tries to smooth over the issue by saying 'the full schedule will be out soon, this wont happen again' but we all know it will. NY county board or whoever is in charge of scheduling get your shit together and stop using manhattan college as an excuse as they are 10 times more organized than the NY GAA and I am sure they have their games scheduled through the end of the summer. Last year bye ball was given since a new surface was being applied to gaelic park (clubs kept in the dark) that meant the IFC final wasnt played until late October. I can tell you if that happens this year with lack of clarity on the schedule alot of players will be turning their back on the sport they love in this town."
Reminds me of back in the 90s when I bought a ticket at the front gate and asked for a schedule. The old man at the gate gave me my change and had a big laugh at that.

mikeyjoe (USA) - Posts: 409 - 19/05/2018 16:22:43    2102146

Link

Anyone at the matches Sunday? Kerry beat Donegal and Monaghan beat the Saints. Is it right to say, Donegal are past it now with Longford coming in taking some of their players, etc? I know its early days yet. One Sunday doesnt make a summer and all that. Any reports?

NarrowBack914 (USA) - Posts: 145 - 22/05/2018 12:50:41    2102993

Link

Anyone think Connolly will land in New York? If so who would he play for? Dublin Juniors?

TheDigger (USA) - Posts: 34 - 06/06/2018 17:01:30    2108132

Link

Replying To TheDigger:  "Anyone think Connolly will land in New York? If so who would he play for? Dublin Juniors?"
He's going to boston and isn't permitted to play in NY this year anyway

NYCcavanman (USA) - Posts: 197 - 06/06/2018 21:11:12    2108200

Link