Dublin Forum

Super 8's and the 4 in a row

(Oldest Posts First)

What you reckon lads/lasses we've a brand new structure being introduced just as Dublin are going for 4 in a row

Could it hamper our chances? Or could it prove to be beneficial?

What you reckon?

jimbodub (Dublin) - 02/01/2018 17:09:35    2066508

Link

A lot will happen née on the stringer panel, fitness stamina and suspension for me, we will be as good as anyone and better then most.

We're back again tomorrow and encouraging to see some of the U21s given an opportunity.

Team Vs Offaly: Dublin (O'Byrne Cup v Offaly): Andy Bunyan; Ross McGowan, Graham Hannigan, Brian Howard; David Devereux, Seán McMahon, Gerry Seaver; Emmet Ó Conghaile, Aaron Elliott; Kieran Doherty, Colm Basquel; Glenn O'Reilly; Killian O'Gara, Shane Carthy, Chris Sallier

Is Paddy Small injured?

TheUsername (Dublin) - 02/01/2018 21:32:24    2066525

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "A lot will happen née on the stringer panel, fitness stamina and suspension for me, we will be as good as anyone and better then most.

We're back again tomorrow and encouraging to see some of the U21s given an opportunity.

Team Vs Offaly: Dublin (O'Byrne Cup v Offaly): Andy Bunyan; Ross McGowan, Graham Hannigan, Brian Howard; David Devereux, Seán McMahon, Gerry Seaver; Emmet Ó Conghaile, Aaron Elliott; Kieran Doherty, Colm Basquel; Glenn O'Reilly; Killian O'Gara, Shane Carthy, Chris Sallier

Is Paddy Small injured?"
Yeah looking forward to the game tonight! 8pm in the Neller. I was hoping to see P Small in there alright, he wasn't right after the injury he picked up in the semifinal.. so maybe that's why?
He was playing v well indeed for Kickhams up to that point and scoring heavily, I thought he'd be a shoe in for the O'Byrne cup..

jimbodub (Dublin) - 03/01/2018 09:33:35    2066561

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Yeah looking forward to the game tonight! 8pm in the Neller. I was hoping to see P Small in there alright, he wasn't right after the injury he picked up in the semifinal.. so maybe that's why?
He was playing v well indeed for Kickhams up to that point and scoring heavily, I thought he'd be a shoe in for the O'Byrne cup.."
Given some of the lads there that have been given opportunities on club form, you would have to think its injury. Also surprised there is no sign of Aoron Byrne there by the looks of it to.

TheUsername (Dublin) - 03/01/2018 10:09:46    2066573

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "What you reckon lads/lasses we've a brand new structure being introduced just as Dublin are going for 4 in a row

Could it hamper our chances? Or could it prove to be beneficial?

What you reckon?"
I reckon this could be beneficial to Dublin for a couple of reasons. Firstly, you could argue that Dublin have the deepest panel in the country given the success in the OBC last year as well as the amount of players who were used throughout last year's league campaign. The extra games could well lead to more injuries and / or suspensions and the larger panel will help to deal with this. More importantly, I think the amount of competitive games in close proximity to the semi-final and All-Ireland final will help shake off any residual rustiness that occurs when there is a gap in games. Dublin really weren't tested until the final last year and were well off the pace for a large part of that game, as a result. Mayo had had several competitive games at that point and were playing regularly which could only benefit cohesion and were consequently much sharper in the final. The new format should help even this up. This is obviously dependent on Dublin making it to the semis / final, though I'd imagine most people would be reasonably confident of this.

A more interesting question is what Dublin will do if they meet Mayo in the super 8 (which should happen if Mayo win Connaught) with qualification already secured. Do they put out a shadow side to conserve energy etc. or do they go for it to put down a marker? I suppose, depending on other results this match (if it happens) could already be a dead rubber.

Kurt_Angle (Dublin) - 03/01/2018 10:42:15    2066580

Link