Donegal Forum

McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cowsinthehills:  "Rumour has it Ciaran Thompson has been dropped from the panel because of a breach of rules."
That is really disappointing if Ciaran Thompson has been dropped from the panel. We can't afford to be losing players of his ability.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 19/01/2018 10:18:16    2069219

Link

Just on the NFL opener against Kerry, I read somewhere that they have a host of players ruled out for the opener against us next weekend. Now I know we won't have the full deck either, but it could be a very good opportunity to get an unexpected win down there. We have an awful away record against them so it would be a real boost if we managed the win in what promises to be a very competitive division.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - 19/01/2018 10:49:15    2069230

Link

Another inspection tomorrow morning to see if game goes ahead. must be a nightmare for managers getting pitches to train on. wonder will bonner name squad for league or will he leave it open. Kerry is going to be difficult, there was a time when it was good to meet Kerry early on in the league but not any more as we seen last year in letterkenny. with the hype surrounding young Clifford and a few more of the all Ireland minor champions winning players theres going to be a huge interest in this game. Kerry may have a few of the established players missing but these young lads are fantastic footballers so we need to be really up for this one. looking forward to making the trip next Friday.

rorysboys (Donegal) - 19/01/2018 11:21:59    2069241

Link

Replying To Lockjaw:  "Just on the NFL opener against Kerry, I read somewhere that they have a host of players ruled out for the opener against us next weekend. Now I know we won't have the full deck either, but it could be a very good opportunity to get an unexpected win down there. We have an awful away record against them so it would be a real boost if we managed the win in what promises to be a very competitive division."
It would be great of we could get any kind of result away to Kerry but it won't be easy. Will TG4 show that game? I am really worried about the game against Galway in Letterkenny, our record there is awful.

The game must be in danger of being cancelled tomorrow as well. It must be difficult to even train at the moment.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 19/01/2018 11:35:40    2069245

Link

I the game against Armagh has been switched to Celtic Park in Derry at 6pm this evening.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 20/01/2018 10:40:30    2069418

Link

Ciaran Thompson starting!!!

EP (Donegal) - 20/01/2018 18:48:23    2069497

Link

Replying To cowsinthehills:  "Rumour has it Ciaran Thompson has been dropped from the panel because of a breach of rules."
According to twitter Ciaran Thompson just scored a point. Never let the truth get in the way of gossip, eh Cowsinthehills.

HEREBENJI (Donegal) - 20/01/2018 18:53:48    2069500

Link

Decent performance by all accounts so any eye witness feedback as always would be much appreciated. Apparently the high ball did into the inside back line did cause Donegal problems. Thoroughly dominant 2nd half display but you have to factor in how seriously Armagh were taking it. Paddy McB has started the year on fire and great to see Jigger finding some form. If he can stay injury free and show the form that made him an exciting prospect a couple of years ago Donegal will be in a really strong position in an attacking sense. By all accounts Nathan Mullin was again excellent could be the find of the year if this form continues into the summer.

panamasam (Australia) - 20/01/2018 21:04:01    2069524

Link

Worst Armagh team i have seen we were impressive all the same.Nice to end Tyrones run but we will be underdogs in 4 weeks time.

neutral (None) - 20/01/2018 21:52:28    2069533

Link

was listening to commentary on the radio and it's good to see so much young attacking talent coming through this donegal side. Paddy certainly flying already, will be interesting to see if any other forwards step up in the league to take some pressure off him. Paul Brennan sounds like he's going well at the minute. Very powerful player

Fr.spodo_gamodo (Leitrim) - 20/01/2018 22:07:40    2069537

Link

Our forward line seems to be shaping up nicely. Early days but of course. Jigger was lively last night. Ciaran Thompson is a good player who can't be left out if on form. NOD hits sweet scores but i still have an notion to let him play U20 this summer. Interesting what McHugh said that S McBrearty was the most naturally gifted footballer he ever worked with. Says he needs more confidence and be played in the right position. Paddy is on fire so hope that continues. Options though are what its all about. Have to admit i favour the big men as the wee men didn't work last year.

EP (Donegal) - 21/01/2018 09:40:20    2069581

Link

Replying To EP:  "Our forward line seems to be shaping up nicely. Early days but of course. Jigger was lively last night. Ciaran Thompson is a good player who can't be left out if on form. NOD hits sweet scores but i still have an notion to let him play U20 this summer. Interesting what McHugh said that S McBrearty was the most naturally gifted footballer he ever worked with. Says he needs more confidence and be played in the right position. Paddy is on fire so hope that continues. Options though are what its all about. Have to admit i favour the big men as the wee men didn't work last year."
Mixture of both big and small can work. The additions and returns to the squad has strengthened has put Donegal back into a better position to compete physically. I don't think we will see the best for another 2 years or so so anything before will be a bonus. An Ulster final, qualifying for the super 8 and maintaining Division 1 status and that will be a very good year.

panamasam (Australia) - 21/01/2018 15:54:28    2069685

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Mixture of both big and small can work. The additions and returns to the squad has strengthened has put Donegal back into a better position to compete physically. I don't think we will see the best for another 2 years or so so anything before will be a bonus. An Ulster final, qualifying for the super 8 and maintaining Division 1 status and that will be a very good year."
I agree, if we can maintain Division 1 status and qualify for the Super 8's then that would be a good year. Winning the Ulster title would be a bonus but hopefully we can within the next 3 years. I am very satisfied with how the McKenna cup went, not the results so much but the manner in which we played, especially playing more direct. Nathan Mullins has been a great find and players like Caolan McGonagle and Darrach O'Connor have come from nowhere to stake a claim for a starting place. We have also saw the undoubted takent of Niall O'Donnell and Stephen McBrearty shine. Also bit-part players under Rory such as Hugh McFadden and Paul Brennan have shown up well so far. Leo and Odhran returning is also a massive bonus. Its only January but at least we have something to feel optomistic about.

The one major concern for me is the full back line. We have no natural corner or full backs except Stephen McMenamin. Caolan Ward, Eoghan Ban, Paul Brennan and Eamon Doherty are more natural half backs. We just got to hope we can keep things shored up at the back until Neil McGee and Paddy McGrath return. Caolan Ward is our best option for full back at the moment I feel.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 21/01/2018 17:25:34    2069702

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I agree, if we can maintain Division 1 status and qualify for the Super 8's then that would be a good year. Winning the Ulster title would be a bonus but hopefully we can within the next 3 years. I am very satisfied with how the McKenna cup went, not the results so much but the manner in which we played, especially playing more direct. Nathan Mullins has been a great find and players like Caolan McGonagle and Darrach O'Connor have come from nowhere to stake a claim for a starting place. We have also saw the undoubted takent of Niall O'Donnell and Stephen McBrearty shine. Also bit-part players under Rory such as Hugh McFadden and Paul Brennan have shown up well so far. Leo and Odhran returning is also a massive bonus. Its only January but at least we have something to feel optomistic about.

The one major concern for me is the full back line. We have no natural corner or full backs except Stephen McMenamin. Caolan Ward, Eoghan Ban, Paul Brennan and Eamon Doherty are more natural half backs. We just got to hope we can keep things shored up at the back until Neil McGee and Paddy McGrath return. Caolan Ward is our best option for full back at the moment I feel."
Not seen any games live yet this year due to work commitments to comment on who I feel would be best suited to the full back line. I really liked Caolan Ward last year I think he has all the components to be a top inter county player just lacking some nous which he can gain from experience plus more confidence on the field and on the ball. Personally I always thought Stephen McMenamin was the heir to follow Neil McGee into the full back position. He is cut from the same cloth but also reminds me of both Johnny Cooper and Philly McMahon in that he has pace, aggression and comfortable on the ball. As for Darrach O'Connor I really hope he can stay injury free. There is no doubting his talent and ability just the injuries has curtailed him. I don't think the previous regime gave him much of a chance but he is getting it now thankfully. Having Leo and Odhran back is just a massive lift for everybody. I know Leo can divide opinion among some supporters but for me he would be one of the first players on the team sheet especially when playing the likes of Tyrone. There is a big squad there now and in the modern game that must be utilized. Great to see the management team giving everybody a chance something which was not the case since Jim left.

panamasam (Australia) - 21/01/2018 18:42:49    2069713

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "I agree, if we can maintain Division 1 status and qualify for the Super 8's then that would be a good year. Winning the Ulster title would be a bonus but hopefully we can within the next 3 years. I am very satisfied with how the McKenna cup went, not the results so much but the manner in which we played, especially playing more direct. Nathan Mullins has been a great find and players like Caolan McGonagle and Darrach O'Connor have come from nowhere to stake a claim for a starting place. We have also saw the undoubted takent of Niall O'Donnell and Stephen McBrearty shine. Also bit-part players under Rory such as Hugh McFadden and Paul Brennan have shown up well so far. Leo and Odhran returning is also a massive bonus. Its only January but at least we have something to feel optomistic about.

The one major concern for me is the full back line. We have no natural corner or full backs except Stephen McMenamin. Caolan Ward, Eoghan Ban, Paul Brennan and Eamon Doherty are more natural half backs. We just got to hope we can keep things shored up at the back until Neil McGee and Paddy McGrath return. Caolan Ward is our best option for full back at the moment I feel."
Great to see jigger back on form. Caolan McGonagle is a funny one too. Looked like a superstar as a minor, but struggled to even get a starting spot last year for the 21's. Good to see him adapting to senior football so well. We look brilliant going forward. Lots to work on defensively, the amount of frees we are conceding is a big problem.

Have to agree, the full back line is the major concern this year. Even if Paddy McGrath makes it back for championship, the cruciate really does take 18 months - 2 years to get back to the same levels as before. Ciaran Gillespie is a huge loss for the year and Neil McGee is gone for the first three league games. That's our best full back line. I like Stephen McMenamin but still a bit raw yet at this level. Let's see how he goes in the league.

How long is Michael Langan out for?

HandballRef (Donegal) - 21/01/2018 18:59:35    2069716

Link

Replying To HandballRef:  "Great to see jigger back on form. Caolan McGonagle is a funny one too. Looked like a superstar as a minor, but struggled to even get a starting spot last year for the 21's. Good to see him adapting to senior football so well. We look brilliant going forward. Lots to work on defensively, the amount of frees we are conceding is a big problem.

Have to agree, the full back line is the major concern this year. Even if Paddy McGrath makes it back for championship, the cruciate really does take 18 months - 2 years to get back to the same levels as before. Ciaran Gillespie is a huge loss for the year and Neil McGee is gone for the first three league games. That's our best full back line. I like Stephen McMenamin but still a bit raw yet at this level. Let's see how he goes in the league.

How long is Michael Langan out for?"
You'd have to be very positive about where things are at after a disaster of a 2017 season. I was in celtic park last night and the pace and flair we played with was breathtaking at times. It's so refreshing to see how direct we are playing. The downside is that i thought we looked very vulnerable in defence against a poor 2nd string Armagh team, but its a work in progress. All in all I think its been a very positive start and I'm genuinely excited about where this could go. I think we'll struggle in Div 1 and loose to Kerry next week but so what! The bigger picture looks good and progressing well. Exciting year ahead.

fatkeeper (Dublin) - 21/01/2018 21:49:42    2069746

Link

Bases on those available and from the games I watched our strongest team for the league would be;

MMcG
Paul Brennan
Caolon Mc Goinagle (could he play here) strong, good fetcher, not that slow, played in goals so positioning might be ok. Really hard to find 3 defenders for full back line based on what ive seen)
Caolon Ward

Ryan Mc Hugh
Leo Mc Cloone
Marty O Reily

Nathan Mullins
Hugh Mc Fadden/Jason Mc Gee

Stephen mc Breatry
Niall O Donnell
Odhran Mc Neilis

Paddy
Jamie Brennan
Jigger

Very young team and very light. This team won't be picked but these 15 impressed most but teams aren't picked like that for a variety of reasons.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - 22/01/2018 00:16:49    2069762

Link

Replying To fatkeeper:  "You'd have to be very positive about where things are at after a disaster of a 2017 season. I was in celtic park last night and the pace and flair we played with was breathtaking at times. It's so refreshing to see how direct we are playing. The downside is that i thought we looked very vulnerable in defence against a poor 2nd string Armagh team, but its a work in progress. All in all I think its been a very positive start and I'm genuinely excited about where this could go. I think we'll struggle in Div 1 and loose to Kerry next week but so what! The bigger picture looks good and progressing well. Exciting year ahead."
Good to read u were impressed FK lets just hope it is not a case of flattering to deceive. Saying that Declan Bonner's underage teams could also create that impression but found wanting outside of the province. I like the backroom team he has got together. Any players I have heard interviewed have all made a point of expressed being impressed by the set up and how professional it is being run. As supporters we just need to be patient and not lose the run of ourselves. There is no doubt in my mind the talent and ability of the younger lads coming up even if they have not achieved success at a national level. In my mind we will really see the fruits of it it in 2-3 years so anything else is a bonus. Even players like Frank and Neil McG have a few more years left if they are protected and used sparingly just like this year so far. This is what the best teams like Dublin, Kerry and Mayo do with their elder lads.

panamasam (Australia) - 22/01/2018 02:19:41    2069764

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "That is really disappointing if Ciaran Thompson has been dropped from the panel. We can't afford to be losing players of his ability."
Think that story is a pack of lies.

donegal1992 (Donegal) - 22/01/2018 10:26:45    2069792

Link

Replying To donegal1992:  "Think that story is a pack of lies."
Yes it looks that way alright and we should be thankful. The rumour was doing the rounds last week but obviously not true. Ciaran Thompson is a fine player and should only get better.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - 22/01/2018 16:16:03    2069910

Link