Donegal Forum

McKenna Cup 2018

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

panamasam thank you for your detailed updates on the match. I was away at the weekend so unfortunately missed the match so appreciate your posts. It sounds like it was another encouraging performance from Donegal and hopefully we can pick up the victory against Kildare this coming weekend to kick start our league campaign.

I don't think anybody is getting carried away, the supporters know we have a long way to go in terms of challenging the likes of Dublin. However we are making serious progress since last year's performances in the championship. We probably shouldn't be looking any further than our first championship game at home to Cavan. When the new manager was selected I was hoping that we would mix up our style of play and on that front we are trying, it won't happen overnight but at least I can see attempts at changing.

I would agree with other posters than we have some defensive issues and the kickouts are a concern. The new management team have only been in place a few months so hopefully come championship time they will have worked on these problems. I think we have to accept that we will be a little more open at the back if we are going to play a more expansive attacking game that the fans want. At the start of the year I was very worried about midfield but apart from the first half of the Dublin game we have competed really well here with Hugh McFadden outstanding.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1084 - 19/02/2018 09:24:41    2078223

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "panamasam thank you for your detailed updates on the match. I was away at the weekend so unfortunately missed the match so appreciate your posts. It sounds like it was another encouraging performance from Donegal and hopefully we can pick up the victory against Kildare this coming weekend to kick start our league campaign.

I don't think anybody is getting carried away, the supporters know we have a long way to go in terms of challenging the likes of Dublin. However we are making serious progress since last year's performances in the championship. We probably shouldn't be looking any further than our first championship game at home to Cavan. When the new manager was selected I was hoping that we would mix up our style of play and on that front we are trying, it won't happen overnight but at least I can see attempts at changing.

I would agree with other posters than we have some defensive issues and the kickouts are a concern. The new management team have only been in place a few months so hopefully come championship time they will have worked on these problems. I think we have to accept that we will be a little more open at the back if we are going to play a more expansive attacking game that the fans want. At the start of the year I was very worried about midfield but apart from the first half of the Dublin game we have competed really well here with Hugh McFadden outstanding."
No problem at all. It was an encouraging display especially given the team that was picked. I cannot wait for Sunday now and hopefully getting a first league win. The hand passing game is definitely still to the fore but players are now playing with their head up looking to play a foot pass. In terms of midfield I think it won't be much of a worry in a year or twos time. At that stage Michael Langan, Jason McGee and Caolan McGonagle will be a couple of years down in their development. I seen alot of promise in McGonagle Saturday night. Himself and Daire O'Baoill were 2 players I watched closely. I like most supporters just want to see the team competitive again especially if coming up against the likes of Tyrone again. Tyrone will be a completely different animal to what they were Saturday night but they have their own issues to contend with. In terms of challenging Dublin not even on my mind. But what I will say if the teams do meet at some stage again this year I would hope Donegal would take the game to Dublin. What you cannot do with Dublin is treat them with too much respect. Do this and they will tear you apart.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 19/02/2018 16:06:47    2078419

Link

Very surprised with the team that started and how they played, really worked the bench well, so we have to be happy. Great result for the squad and management, I know its mckenna cup but its the old saying, get into winning games is not a bad habit to be in!

PastandPresent (Donegal) - Posts: 327 - 19/02/2018 17:03:19    2078449

Link