Carlow Forum

Footballers 2018 Season

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I am very optimistic that we will be promoted - We might even win it
All looks very positive - good result against Wicklow and in contention with Meath as well as good performances in Challenge games against Northern Opposition ( a win and a draw)
We are 3rd fav with bookies but i think we will win division with a bit to spare

Blackbog (Carlow) - 15/01/2018 15:21:02    2068506

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I am very optimistic that we will be promoted - We might even win it
All looks very positive - good result against Wicklow and in contention with Meath as well as good performances in Challenge games against Northern Opposition ( a win and a draw)
We are 3rd fav with bookies but i think we will win division with a bit to spare"
What will be the key difference this year? We barely got over London last year and Antrim away will also be tricky.I hope we are still in it when we play Laois.

CarlowLad85 (Carlow) - 15/01/2018 18:25:31    2068549

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "I am very optimistic that we will be promoted - We might even win it
We are 3rd fav with bookies but i think we will win division with a bit to spare"
What two Ulster teams did they play Blackbog?

Passer_By (Carlow) - 15/01/2018 19:41:35    2068569

Link

Replying To Passer_By:  "What two Ulster teams did they play Blackbog?"
Monaghan and Tyrone

Blackbog (Carlow) - 15/01/2018 21:26:54    2068587

Link

Replying To Blackbog:  "Monaghan and Tyrone"
absolutely cracking opposition .... the Ulster connection thru Poacher is very positive even if the style of play is not attractive, but it is working .... a few years ago we were almost playing club teams in challenges ....

I know the start to the league is much anticipated, I understand there are a fair few heading over to London for the opening match

Bainisteoir (National) - 16/01/2018 09:46:05    2068631

Link

Wow! they are great games to get against Div 1 opposition!! Not too long ago I do remember Carlow playing Kildare's Junior team - 2 years in a row.
We seemed to have gained respect after our championship performances in 2017. Hopefully we hit the ground running in the league. Have the flight booked!!

novalis (Carlow) - 16/01/2018 11:55:45    2068669

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "absolutely cracking opposition .... the Ulster connection thru Poacher is very positive even if the style of play is not attractive, but it is working .... a few years ago we were almost playing club teams in challenges ....

I know the start to the league is much anticipated, I understand there are a fair few heading over to London for the opening match"
yes i will be there

Blackbog (Carlow) - 16/01/2018 16:04:30    2068721

Link

Replying To Bainisteoir:  "absolutely cracking opposition .... the Ulster connection thru Poacher is very positive even if the style of play is not attractive, but it is working .... a few years ago we were almost playing club teams in challenges ....

I know the start to the league is much anticipated, I understand there are a fair few heading over to London for the opening match"
There's 7 of us going.
Staying in Ramada in Ruislip.

Win, lose or draw there'll be good sport, not to mention a few pints!

I'm also confident on the outcome of the match and the league itself.

I went to see them playing Wicklow in O'Byrne cup and the team's enthusiasm and organisation was obvious. Encouraging to see their fitness and willingness to work for one another.

Still have to grind out the results though and London will be fancying their chances too.

Blackbogger (Carlow) - 17/01/2018 12:25:27    2068850

Link

Mark Breheny SLIGO has retired from playing for the county after 17 years.

He was the longest-serving intercounty footballer in Ireland but he reveals that winning a second Connacht championship or reaching an All-Ireland final would have meant more to him than extending that record:

"I wasn't really hanging on for that, it was very much about winning a Connacht title every year. And trying to reach the highest I could go and getting to an All-Ireland final. I never stopped believing in that every year.

I felt, 'why not? why can't it be us? If a Mayo fella can do it up the road, why can't we do it?' That was always my mentality with the Sligo team."

Carlow take note - we are no different. Best of luck to all teams in 2018

Incidentally Carlow footballers (experimental side) beat Sligo at the weekend by 13 points. Can't wait for the start of the league.

fullbach (Carlow) - 17/01/2018 14:09:55    2068878

Link

Replying To fullbach:  "Mark Breheny SLIGO has retired from playing for the county after 17 years.

He was the longest-serving intercounty footballer in Ireland but he reveals that winning a second Connacht championship or reaching an All-Ireland final would have meant more to him than extending that record:

"I wasn't really hanging on for that, it was very much about winning a Connacht title every year. And trying to reach the highest I could go and getting to an All-Ireland final. I never stopped believing in that every year.

I felt, 'why not? why can't it be us? If a Mayo fella can do it up the road, why can't we do it?' That was always my mentality with the Sligo team."

Incidentally Carlow footballers (experimental side) beat Sligo at the weekend by 13 points. Can't wait for the start of the league."
On the subject of the challenge match results, it's very heartening that the lads are pulling out such great results.

However the Carlow team are very fit for this time of year and obviously have promotion from Div 4 on the top of their priorities. That fitness may be giving a false shine to the challenge match results though, since I suspect that other teams may still be winding up their preparations and are far from their peak.

Having said that, winning can become a habit and hopefully there will be a bit of momentum from those results coming in to the league.

Fingers Crossed !!

Blackbogger (Carlow) - 17/01/2018 15:52:45    2068913

Link

Replying To Blackbogger:  "
Replying To fullbach:  "Mark Breheny SLIGO has retired from playing for the county after 17 years.

Incidentally Carlow footballers (experimental side) beat Sligo at the weekend by 13 points. Can't wait for the start of the league."
On the subject of the challenge match results, it's very heartening that the lads are pulling out such great results.

However the Carlow team are very fit for this time of year and obviously have promotion from Div 4 on the top of their priorities. That fitness may be giving a false shine to the challenge match results though, since I suspect that other teams may still be winding up their preparations and are far from their peak.

Having said that, winning can become a habit and hopefully there will be a bit of momentum from those results coming in to the league.

Fingers Crossed !!"
Ya irrespective of the opposition winning is good, but to be running close to or beating top sides such as Tyrone or Monaghan, who are carrying a few divisions on us, has to be great for morale. However, lets hope we can keep this challenge circuit form going in the League, which is up a level or two against London, who at home will be no pushovers and will certainly fancy taking us.

Flights are booked - gang of us heading & looking forward to a good night in some hostelries - this Brexit is great for the exchange rate !! Lets hope we have a result to celebrate ...

Bainisteoir (National) - 18/01/2018 17:03:27    2069123

Link

New Jersey with it carlow

https://mobile.twitter.com/Carlow_GAA/status/953985490474160128/photo/1

carlovia (None) - 18/01/2018 17:55:17    2069139

Link

To me we look like very good value at 13/2 on Bet365 but there's no e/w option. Anyone see anything better or near that with an e/w option? I'd be fairly confident we'll be in the top two but would be worried about winning it outright as that might mean beating Leix in a final in Croke Park. However I think we could well beat them at home in the last game, especially if by then they're already promoted, but doing it a week later in Croke Park might be too much to expect especially seeing as promotion itself is the priority.

Onion Breath (Carlow) - 19/01/2018 11:14:51    2069240

Link

I think we are all getting a bit ahead of ourselves. All these games will be hard fought, no team will fear us as every team in that division has a history of beating us, we haven't beaten laois in any competitive game since 02 and before that it was 88. Whilst I'm confident we will be in the shake up I certainly wouldn't dismiss anyone with the exception of Wicklow, from what I seen of them they will have a major struggle to get competitive this year, it's wait and see really, our first three games are crucial last year we only got two points from those three games, we need to have six this time or we can kiss goodbye to promotion. Pressure is another factor despite last year been a good year overall, this team has no history of winning so if we do start winning games it will be very important we handle it well and don't drop the ball against a team we should beat. It took Clare several attempts to get out of div4 one year they won their first 5 games and drew with limerick on the second last day all they needed was a draw against Waterford on the last day and they were home and hosed, Waterford had the game wrapped up after ten minutes and won promotion along with limerick, I remember Wexford doing the same to Carlow many years ago, Clare bounced back we didn't.

Also I would not be posting challenge game results as far as I know the players are told not to tell anyone

Barrowsider (Carlow) - 19/01/2018 12:51:07    2069268

Link

Replying To Barrowsider:  "I think we are all getting a bit ahead of ourselves. All these games will be hard fought, no team will fear us as every team in that division has a history of beating us, we haven't beaten laois in any competitive game since 02 and before that it was 88. Whilst I'm confident we will be in the shake up I certainly wouldn't dismiss anyone with the exception of Wicklow, from what I seen of them they will have a major struggle to get competitive this year, it's wait and see really, our first three games are crucial last year we only got two points from those three games, we need to have six this time or we can kiss goodbye to promotion. Pressure is another factor despite last year been a good year overall, this team has no history of winning so if we do start winning games it will be very important we handle it well and don't drop the ball against a team we should beat. It took Clare several attempts to get out of div4 one year they won their first 5 games and drew with limerick on the second last day all they needed was a draw against Waterford on the last day and they were home and hosed, Waterford had the game wrapped up after ten minutes and won promotion along with limerick, I remember Wexford doing the same to Carlow many years ago, Clare bounced back we didn't.

Also I would not be posting challenge game results as far as I know the players are told not to tell anyone"
wise words - as I have posted previously, on the day any team in Div 4 is capable of beating another. Suspension, injuries etc will have a big bearing on how things go. While things are motoring nicely now league is up a level and a bad loss could cause morale to sag. also pressure and expectations will be a factor.

Bainisteoir (National) - 19/01/2018 16:25:26    2069313

Link

Ah lads we can be a bit more bullish than that. On paper we're definitely in the top three in this division. We'll be warm favourites and rightly so to win most games in this division. We should swat away London, Wicklow, Waterford and Leitrim. We're way better than these four. Last year's league doesn't matter, we have belief and momentum now. Limerick away early is a tough one. Only a point or two in it either way I suspect. Even if we lose its all to play for so I completely disagree that we're gone if we don't have 6/6 after first three. Antrim away is the only other banana skin but they seem in some disarray and I think the wheels may come off their campaign early so when we play them up there it may be a promotion clincher for us or penultimate to a promotion clincher. We'll bring a huge crowd to Belfast and a great weekend it will be. Leix at home last game could not be better. They're not good, they're getting a bit worse every year and I think there'll be nothing between us. If they're already promoted which, bad and all as they are, they may well be then I'd be confident we'll beat at home. In fact we mightn't even need to as we could be promoted ourselves.

This is going to be our year lads, time to stick the chests out and let the management team worry about complacency. I've watched a lot of division 4 unfortunately and this is the weakest year for a long time. A lot of teams are going in the wrong direction at the moment. In fact, we're the only team with upward momentum in the division. As supporters we've suffered too long and should not be afraid to be bullish now. I believe in this team and management. Ten weeks time we'll be a division 3 team!

Onion Breath (Carlow) - 19/01/2018 21:07:40    2069367

Link

Div 4 has been a minefield as pointed out... good to be bullish too... no harm either to have the chest out... I would not be focussing on Laois... the first game and no other should be the concern...
My concern is where do we get the scores from... that is my concern. Not enough players have stepped up... plenty of lads fairly ok at defending but we need to win games. As pointed out we have a few players who have been injury prone and that is a worry. Roll on the first one... players are bursting to play which is what we need and we now have competition for places, something we have not had for a long time.

carlowman (Carlow) - 20/01/2018 20:10:04    2069512

Link

Lads, a few people on this board are drinking the Kool Aid and need a reality check.... For instance, we should "swat away London, Wicklow, Waterford and Leitrim..." are you on some weird medicine? Last year London AND Leitrim beat us in the league and we struggled to beat London in the All Ireland... you are all getting carried away... Carlow will do very well to get promoted... what if Paul Broderick gets injured or Brendan Murphy's discipline issues surface again (touch wood neither will happen) but really all of you get a grip... seriously.... yiz are writing on here like we are the Dubs or something... fact is we have been in Division 4 (or its variants) for over 30 years now... cut out the nonsense and the inflated confidence... we will do well to take 6 points from the first 3 games... 9 would be an amazing achievement. Calm down, people...

CARPS (Carlow) - 20/01/2018 22:28:50    2069544

Link

Replying To fergie:  "Half full and half empty are the same thing are they not?!:)
Was just looking at the league fixtures for the year. The 4th Feb the hurlers are in Tralee & footballers are in Newcastle West, both at 2. Seeing as anyone coming back from hurling would be passing through NCW wouldnt it be great if Hurling was pushed forward & football time pushed back. I'd def go to both anyway."
I don't doubt your Gaa knowledge Carps but you only get 2 points for a win in this sport. 3 in the premiership

Hometown45 (Carlow) - 20/01/2018 22:51:32    2069549

Link