Wexford Forum

Smallest club

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To alwaysasub:  "I did a quick look at the CSO website, and used population area against club locations. Unfortuantely the areas marked on the CSO website go into other parishes so its hard to determine the size of a club. Also with town clubs, some clubs are larger than others but for the list below I have just divided the population amongst the clubs ( I know not a fair reflection but just for the survey). I have done the same with Ennsicorthy even though I know the Shamrocks are located on the outskirts of town and the Rapps/Starlights probably capture more of the population. Tara Rocks is not really a true reflection as they can pick players from Gorey, but for the sake of the survey I have just taken the population of their area. As I said its just a rough guide as boundaries go into other areas on website. I suppose it shows some clubs really punch above their weight, Clongeen being the obvious one.

1. Naomh Eanna 10363
2. Geraldine O'Hanrahans 7714
3. Starlights 5690
4. Shamrocks 5690
5. St. Marys Rosslare 5114
6. Glynn Barntown 4704
7. Shelmaliers 4532
8. Ballygarrett - Realt na Meara ` 4492
9. St. Martins 4297
10. Clonard 3983
11. St. Josephs 3983
12. Marys Maudlintown 3983
13. Sarsfields/Faythe Harriers 3983
14. Volunteers 3983
15. Horeswood 3397
16. HWH Bunclody 3378
17. Buffers Alley 3352
18. Kilmore 3109
19. Kilanerin - Ballyfad 3101
20. Castletown/Liam Mellows 2826
21. Oulart The Ballagh 2814
22. Bannow Ballymitty 2812
23. Rathgarogue-Cushinstown 2697
24. Ferns St. Aidans 2667
25. Ballyhogue 2588
26. Duffry Rovers 2556
27. Crossabeg-Ballymurn 2487
28. Oylegate-Glenbrien 2281
29. Rathnure 2262
30. St. Patricks 2197
31. Cloughbawn 2193
32. Monageer-Boolavogue 2131
33. St. Annes 2094
34. Craanford 2053
35. St. James 2045
36. Askamore-Kilrush 1948
37. Marshalstown Castledocrell 1937
38. Taghmon-Camross 1893
39. Davidstown Courtnacuddy 1830
40. Blackwater 1809
41. Gusserane O'Rahillys 1603
42. Adamstown 1541
43. Fethard on Sea 1426
44. St. Fintans 1193
45. Our Ladys Island 1147
46. Clongeen 1 school, 891
47. Tara Rocks (does not include Gorey pick) 451
48. Clonee 450 (circa)"
Unreal that st.marys rosslare are ranked 5th and have to join with kilmore ranked 18th to field underage teams under kilross gaels and play in lower grades. Is the south east corner of wexford a gaa wasteland. 4 primary schools with nearly 900 kids to pick from. The club of both liam Griffin and Margaret doyle

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - 17/01/2018 20:50:45    2068976

Link

Replying To 890202:  "I can remember a certain member of the Dail speaking at a county board meeting in relation to a club amalgamation and he used the argument that a certain primary school in their catchment area had only 25 pupils, he failed to mention that the other two primary schools in the catchment area had 140 pupils and 96 pupils respectively. The 25 pupil school according to my research now has 43 pupils. So the three primary schools in that catchment area have 279 pupils. One of their neighbours has a combined total of 256, while another neighbour has a combined of 172 and a third neighbour has a combined of 228.

So this particular club used primary school numbers as a basis to argue for amalgamation when in fact their numbers compare favourably to their neighbours.

In summary, forget about numbers in primary schools, they are a nonsense argument"
Your point makes absolutely no sense re smallest club, the example you give is about a club not been up front about its primary schools in its parish, hard to believe a county board would not be able to counter argue with the accurate information. Point is, size and amount of primary schools in rural areas has a direct correlation to the amount of players going forward available for adult teams, end of.

Fair play to the info accumulated, just wonder say does Adamstown total include the parish of Newbawn, likewise St James has 2 parishes, Ramsgrange and Duncannon, I would imagine their numbers are bigger than above

bottletopbill (Wexford) - 17/01/2018 21:21:32    2068988

Link

Replying To bottletopbill:  "Your point makes absolutely no sense re smallest club, the example you give is about a club not been up front about its primary schools in its parish, hard to believe a county board would not be able to counter argue with the accurate information. Point is, size and amount of primary schools in rural areas has a direct correlation to the amount of players going forward available for adult teams, end of.

Fair play to the info accumulated, just wonder say does Adamstown total include the parish of Newbawn, likewise St James has 2 parishes, Ramsgrange and Duncannon, I would imagine their numbers are bigger than above"
I disagree. It is becoming far more common now for a child to go to a primary school outside their parish and play with their local club and vice versa so the school numbers should not be tolerated as an argument. And there is no correlation between primary school numbers and adult teams. If there was then Ballygarrett (4 adult teams), Rosslare (4 adult teams), Gorey (4 teams), Shamrocks (3 teams), Sars (2 teams), Clonard (1 team), St Josephs (2 teams), Vols (2 teams), Maudlintown (2 teams) would all have more teams than Gusserane (5 teams) and Monageer (5 teams) but despite having massively higher numbers in the primary schools in those areas, they still fall behind the two I have mentioned with 5 teams.

Forget about school numbers

890202 (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 09:12:00    2069022

Link

Replying To 890202:  "I disagree. It is becoming far more common now for a child to go to a primary school outside their parish and play with their local club and vice versa so the school numbers should not be tolerated as an argument. And there is no correlation between primary school numbers and adult teams. If there was then Ballygarrett (4 adult teams), Rosslare (4 adult teams), Gorey (4 teams), Shamrocks (3 teams), Sars (2 teams), Clonard (1 team), St Josephs (2 teams), Vols (2 teams), Maudlintown (2 teams) would all have more teams than Gusserane (5 teams) and Monageer (5 teams) but despite having massively higher numbers in the primary schools in those areas, they still fall behind the two I have mentioned with 5 teams.

Forget about school numbers"
It's far more common to go to a primary school outside their parish? really? I dont believe that for a second.

Plus the point being that those clubs should have more than Gusserane, they dont because they are not putting the work in to get all the kids at their disposal to play. You mention Ballygarret, the pick they have yet they have nearly a whole school left untouched that do not play for their club.

School numbers absolutely have a contribution to the size and numbers at a clubs disposal, to think otherwise is illogical.

james2011 (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 11:00:08    2069049

Link

Replying To james2011:  "It's far more common to go to a primary school outside their parish? really? I dont believe that for a second.

Plus the point being that those clubs should have more than Gusserane, they dont because they are not putting the work in to get all the kids at their disposal to play. You mention Ballygarret, the pick they have yet they have nearly a whole school left untouched that do not play for their club.

School numbers absolutely have a contribution to the size and numbers at a clubs disposal, to think otherwise is illogical."
[url=]http://ferns.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Parish-map.png
map of parishes here...

comc (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 13:54:37    2069083

Link

Replying To james2011:  "It's far more common to go to a primary school outside their parish? really? I dont believe that for a second.

School numbers absolutely have a contribution to the size and numbers at a clubs disposal, to think otherwise is illogical."
Yes James it is more common. Many country people now send children to primary schools in the towns for many reasons including convenience and special needs units for those with learning difficulties or going for the availibility of gaelscoils. Also it is more common for members to start off playing for a club despite living elsewhere. This may be due to parents moving outside of a parish to live but remain involved in their own club and thus their children start off in parents club.
It is more common and therefore school numbers are not reliable

890202 (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 14:15:02    2069085

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Yes James it is more common. Many country people now send children to primary schools in the towns for many reasons including convenience and special needs units for those with learning difficulties or going for the availibility of gaelscoils. Also it is more common for members to start off playing for a club despite living elsewhere. This may be due to parents moving outside of a parish to live but remain involved in their own club and thus their children start off in parents club.
It is more common and therefore school numbers are not reliable"
I think your definition of more common needs revising. Because it sometimes happen, does not make it more common. The vast majority of children in this county go to school in their home parish. That is more common.

I would also hazard a guess that school numbers would also be in a similar proportionate to available population within a parish.

james2011 (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 15:30:32    2069101

Link

Replying To james2011:  "I think your definition of more common needs revising. Because it sometimes happen, does not make it more common. The vast majority of children in this county go to school in their home parish. That is more common.

I would also hazard a guess that school numbers would also be in a similar proportionate to available population within a parish."
The majority of kids go to their local school and this is the main feeder to local gaa clubs, school numbers help but hard work is needed from clubs and weak clubs with poor structures will not benefit, like rosslare, three school and nearly 600 kids but have not fielded a minor team in over ten years.

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 16:38:09    2069115

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Yes James it is more common. Many country people now send children to primary schools in the towns for many reasons including convenience and special needs units for those with learning difficulties or going for the availibility of gaelscoils. Also it is more common for members to start off playing for a club despite living elsewhere. This may be due to parents moving outside of a parish to live but remain involved in their own club and thus their children start off in parents club.
It is more common and therefore school numbers are not reliable"
Other way around!!! Urban kids go to rural schools

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 16:40:32    2069117

Link

Replying To james2011:  "I think your definition of more common needs revising. Because it sometimes happen, does not make it more common. The vast majority of children in this county go to school in their home parish. That is more common.

I would also hazard a guess that school numbers would also be in a similar proportionate to available population within a parish."
You are spot on James2011, majority of kids go to schools in their parish and it is a true reflection of populations within a parish. The towns do tend to be different, re numbers etc

bottletopbill (Wexford) - 18/01/2018 22:00:44    2069181

Link

To be honest my stats are really only a guide, just to give people an idea where numbers are. Just an idea for another conversation, for instance in Ballygarretts case, most of there club members are probably from there and not from Courtown as soccer seems to be prevalent in the Riverchapel/Courtown area. If Realt na Meara (Courtown) were a separate club would they have higher participation numbers? They have a pitch in the area now and the population of that area is over 2000 people, a lot more than some clubs.

Also with the way the population has grown in Gorey, would there be a case for a second club in the town? Would numbers increase?

My point is that when there is only one team at each level u13/u15/u17 (in Goreys case) and players are not getting on, they just give up, if there was another club catering for the towns population would numbers increase or would they still give up anyway.

Maybe they couldnt be sustained, and maybe it wouldnt work.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - 19/01/2018 12:16:49    2069260

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "To be honest my stats are really only a guide, just to give people an idea where numbers are. Just an idea for another conversation, for instance in Ballygarretts case, most of there club members are probably from there and not from Courtown as soccer seems to be prevalent in the Riverchapel/Courtown area. If Realt na Meara (Courtown) were a separate club would they have higher participation numbers? They have a pitch in the area now and the population of that area is over 2000 people, a lot more than some clubs.

Also with the way the population has grown in Gorey, would there be a case for a second club in the town? Would numbers increase?

My point is that when there is only one team at each level u13/u15/u17 (in Goreys case) and players are not getting on, they just give up, if there was another club catering for the towns population would numbers increase or would they still give up anyway.

Maybe they couldnt be sustained, and maybe it wouldnt work."
quick answer to that question, there was a second club in Gorey and that has gone by the wayside. Personally, with no involvement and only looking in from afar, I think there was huge scope for Tara Rocks to establish themselves and to get a foothold in the town and with a new secondary school there too. I think the county board should have pushed and helped whatever way they could to get that done, rather than the easy option of amalgamating with Kilanerin.

james2011 (Wexford) - 19/01/2018 12:47:34    2069267

Link

Replying To james2011:  "quick answer to that question, there was a second club in Gorey and that has gone by the wayside. Personally, with no involvement and only looking in from afar, I think there was huge scope for Tara Rocks to establish themselves and to get a foothold in the town and with a new secondary school there too. I think the county board should have pushed and helped whatever way they could to get that done, rather than the easy option of amalgamating with Kilanerin."
Great point. Yes the easy option with Tara rocks. Gorey is growing at a quick rate and will probably be on par with wexford size in the next 20 years.

alwaysasub (Wexford) - 19/01/2018 18:36:55    2069340

Link

Replying To james2011:  "quick answer to that question, there was a second club in Gorey and that has gone by the wayside. Personally, with no involvement and only looking in from afar, I think there was huge scope for Tara Rocks to establish themselves and to get a foothold in the town and with a new secondary school there too. I think the county board should have pushed and helped whatever way they could to get that done, rather than the easy option of amalgamating with Kilanerin."
"Amalgamating with Kilanerin" ?????

As far as I can ascertain, both clubs are still in existence, now can that be if there is an amalgamation ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - 19/01/2018 21:10:02    2069368

Link