Wexford Forum

Smallest club

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To yelowbelly:  "What has the underage club got to do with this ?

I just don't understand how its an amalgamation if both clubs are still operating independently"
both clubs are still operating independently..... so they don't train together or play together ? I'm very confused

grassroots01 (Wexford) - Posts: 18 - 24/01/2018 12:37:38    2070314

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "I understand the point you are trying to make but my point is they are joined underage and our called a different name and they are joined at adult level and just keep there own names. So you would call the underage team amalgamated and if not what would you call them? Two clubs joining together is an amaglimation.

What do you call the adult clubs if not amaglimated?"
"Two clubs joining together is an amalgamation"
Absolutely agree100%.
These clubs have amalgamated at underage to form ballinastraw, no problem there.
But if they have amalgamated at adult, how are the 2 clubs still operating ?
I'd like someone to tell me how this works. If they are separate clubs, how are they combined at adult level ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 346 - 24/01/2018 12:57:56    2070323

Link

there is a "gentlemans agreement" between the clubs that anyone who wants to hurl from Ballyfad will do so with Tara Rocks and vice versa with the football. Its a technicality so the likes of yerman on here can say "oh they arent amalgamated" when they truly are at all grades from underage to adult. Everyone knows they are amalgamated, the pretence of saying they arent is just ridiculous.

But that is totally getting away from the point anyway, that despite Tara Rocks being one of the smallest clubs in the county, they have access to one of the biggest catchment areas and on of the biggest growing populated areas in the county. The county board should have done more to get them more involved in the town rather than merging 2 clubs and diluting numbers even further. When this agreement is over and Kilanerin are back senior footballing, where will that leave the Rocks then?

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 397 - 24/01/2018 16:19:57    2070378

Link

Replying To james2011:  "there is a "gentlemans agreement" between the clubs that anyone who wants to hurl from Ballyfad will do so with Tara Rocks and vice versa with the football. Its a technicality so the likes of yerman on here can say "oh they arent amalgamated" when they truly are at all grades from underage to adult. Everyone knows they are amalgamated, the pretence of saying they arent is just ridiculous.

But that is totally getting away from the point anyway, that despite Tara Rocks being one of the smallest clubs in the county, they have access to one of the biggest catchment areas and on of the biggest growing populated areas in the county. The county board should have done more to get them more involved in the town rather than merging 2 clubs and diluting numbers even further. When this agreement is over and Kilanerin are back senior footballing, where will that leave the Rocks then?"
James2001, Thanks for explaining that arrangement that's in place between those clubs. I'm not being pedantic here, but there's a huge difference between a "gentlemans agreement" and an amalgamation.

The problem I have, as I explained earlier, is how both clubs are still in existence if there's been an amalgamation.

Regarding the Gorey situation, you are obviously more acquainted with the situation than I am. I understood the Rocks were a small stand-alone club from outside the town. Maybe there are some local personnel or political reasons why they don't involve more players from the town ?
Naomh Eanna appear to be one of the "coming" teams in hurling, surely it would benefit them and the Rocks to pool their resources ?

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 346 - 24/01/2018 17:23:14    2070391

Link

I think we can safely say that only people from within Tara Rocks/Kilanerin/Ballinastragh or whatever name you want to call them could argue that it's not an amalgamation

irishmanabroad (Wexford) - Posts: 31 - 24/01/2018 18:06:48    2070414

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "James2001, Thanks for explaining that arrangement that's in place between those clubs. I'm not being pedantic here, but there's a huge difference between a "gentlemans agreement" and an amalgamation.

The problem I have, as I explained earlier, is how both clubs are still in existence if there's been an amalgamation.

Regarding the Gorey situation, you are obviously more acquainted with the situation than I am. I understood the Rocks were a small stand-alone club from outside the town. Maybe there are some local personnel or political reasons why they don't involve more players from the town ?
Naomh Eanna appear to be one of the "coming" teams in hurling, surely it would benefit them and the Rocks to pool their resources ?"
Apologies for my earlier post so, I read it that you were defending the clubs claiming they weren't amalgamated.

Ballyfad, the hurling team of Kilanerin, no longer exists. Tara rocks have also disbanded their football team. As a result, because there is no hurling team in Kilanerin, they are free to join any local hurling team. And likewise for Tara rocks who can join any football team. But the agreement is that they join together. Therefore can technically retain their clubs, but are for all intents and purposes, amalgamated. So there really is not much difference between the agreement and an amalgamation.

Tara rocks is within the parish of Gorey town, so have eligible picks from the town. A little unknown fact is that Castletowns pitch is actually in the parish of Gorey town and they also are technically allowed have players from Gorey town play for them.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 397 - 24/01/2018 22:45:09    2070472

Link

Replying To james2011:  "Apologies for my earlier post so, I read it that you were defending the clubs claiming they weren't amalgamated.

Ballyfad, the hurling team of Kilanerin, no longer exists. Tara rocks have also disbanded their football team. As a result, because there is no hurling team in Kilanerin, they are free to join any local hurling team. And likewise for Tara rocks who can join any football team. But the agreement is that they join together. Therefore can technically retain their clubs, but are for all intents and purposes, amalgamated. So there really is not much difference between the agreement and an amalgamation.

Tara rocks is within the parish of Gorey town, so have eligible picks from the town. A little unknown fact is that Castletowns pitch is actually in the parish of Gorey town and they also are technically allowed have players from Gorey town play for them."
Jesus, don't confuse me even more by throwing Castletown onto the equation as well !!

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 346 - 25/01/2018 10:04:28    2070513

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Jesus, don't confuse me even more by throwing Castletown onto the equation as well !!"
I hadn't realised that about Castletown. Interesting. Matty Forde talking in the Irish Independent today has called it 'an amaglimation' so as he plays for Kilanerin and he thinks it, I think that pretty much answers any questions. Best of luck to them this weekend

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/forde-hopes-to-have-one-last-dance-in-croke-park-36532666.html

alwaysasub (Wexford) - Posts: 113 - 26/01/2018 13:20:19    2070785

Link

Replying To alwaysasub:  "I hadn't realised that about Castletown. Interesting. Matty Forde talking in the Irish Independent today has called it 'an amaglimation' so as he plays for Kilanerin and he thinks it, I think that pretty much answers any questions. Best of luck to them this weekend

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/forde-hopes-to-have-one-last-dance-in-croke-park-36532666.html"
Hard luck to Kilanerin in the semi. A very tight loss.

Best of luck to Fethard next week too. Great to see a club make it to Croke Park. Just a shame that the Cork league game clashes with it. But I'm sure our county board will ensure we get lots of updates from Croke Park anyway, they were superb giving the updates for the semi final they played in too.

james2011 (Wexford) - Posts: 397 - 29/01/2018 10:30:46    2071804

Link

Replying To james2011:  "Hard luck to Kilanerin in the semi. A very tight loss.

Best of luck to Fethard next week too. Great to see a club make it to Croke Park. Just a shame that the Cork league game clashes with it. But I'm sure our county board will ensure we get lots of updates from Croke Park anyway, they were superb giving the updates for the semi final they played in too."
Absolutely, best of luck to Fethard in the final in Croke Park, would be great to see them win. And I'm sure their club twitter account can more than capably keep us informed of events as we sit in Wexford Park. There are some really excellent club twittermen who keep the world informed of events and I certainly enjoyed following Fethard's tweets from the semi-final.

UncleJunior (Wexford) - Posts: 9 - 29/01/2018 11:51:47    2071859

Link

Replying To UncleJunior:  "Absolutely, best of luck to Fethard in the final in Croke Park, would be great to see them win. And I'm sure their club twitter account can more than capably keep us informed of events as we sit in Wexford Park. There are some really excellent club twittermen who keep the world informed of events and I certainly enjoyed following Fethard's tweets from the semi-final."
About Tara rocks and kilanerin joining: these two clubs have joined as "there wasn't enough numbers to field one team each" in championship when in fact there was plenty. These teams can now field to adult teams and are Tara rocks in hurling and kilanerin in football. My club had being struggling at intermediate a level and had to leave intermediate a to go down to junior because of the amalgamation of Tara rocks and kilanerin. This was in place for the 2017 season by the way

Dtownhurler (Wexford) - Posts: 67 - 29/01/2018 18:54:03    2072126

Link

Its entirely a marraige of convenience. It's notable that there were a few Tara Rocks lads playing in the early rounds of the championship, but when push came to shove in the latter stages, they were discarded. I am talking about the sort of lads that do what's required at corner back or wing forward, not the two stand-out players who were automatic starters who you'd be highlighting as the reason Kilanerin wanted to amalgamate in the first place.

There is a whole generation of Rock players there now that are being wasted entirely due to the fact that Kilanerin pin-pointed two players that would improve them in the long run.

Fethard's All-Ireland quest deserves a lot more neutral support as at least it's home-grown

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 242 - 29/01/2018 20:02:06    2072154

Link

Replying To beano:  "Its entirely a marraige of convenience. It's notable that there were a few Tara Rocks lads playing in the early rounds of the championship, but when push came to shove in the latter stages, they were discarded. I am talking about the sort of lads that do what's required at corner back or wing forward, not the two stand-out players who were automatic starters who you'd be highlighting as the reason Kilanerin wanted to amalgamate in the first place.

There is a whole generation of Rock players there now that are being wasted entirely due to the fact that Kilanerin pin-pointed two players that would improve them in the long run.

Fethard's All-Ireland quest deserves a lot more neutral support as at least it's home-grown"
Beano, I'm surprised at you of all people coming on here to lecture on home-grown !!
Maybe those clubs up there beside you should have cast the net nationwide, just like your own beloved Castletown.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 346 - 29/01/2018 22:42:51    2072213

Link

Replying To yelowbelly:  "Beano, I'm surprised at you of all people coming on here to lecture on home-grown !!
Maybe those clubs up there beside you should have cast the net nationwide, just like your own beloved Castletown."
I bet there isn't a club in the country that doesn't have transfers in and out. Very few have 'amalgamated' with their neighbours though. All for gain

beano (Wexford) - Posts: 242 - 29/01/2018 23:37:15    2072244

Link

Replying To beano:  "Its entirely a marraige of convenience. It's notable that there were a few Tara Rocks lads playing in the early rounds of the championship, but when push came to shove in the latter stages, they were discarded. I am talking about the sort of lads that do what's required at corner back or wing forward, not the two stand-out players who were automatic starters who you'd be highlighting as the reason Kilanerin wanted to amalgamate in the first place.

Fethard's All-Ireland quest deserves a lot more neutral support as at least it's home-grown"
Fethard Homegrown?

all but one I imagine.

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 88 - 30/01/2018 17:05:40    2072482

Link

Mark Wallace, top scorer and free taker is originally a St James player.

hurler101 (Wexford) - Posts: 445 - 30/01/2018 18:43:30    2072520

Link

Replying To beano:  "I bet there isn't a club in the country that doesn't have transfers in and out. Very few have 'amalgamated' with their neighbours though. All for gain"
One man one club for life is near impossible in modern life, people move for different reasons, clubs joining together is nothing new in the gaa be it for gain or survival. Best of luck to tara rocks and lets hope hurling is the winner here.
Ballyhale shamrocks is really only a new club no more than 40 years old, the shamrock representative of the three clubs that joined together, if this was for gain it worked for hurling and Kilkenny hurling in General .

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 422 - 30/01/2018 21:13:44    2072580

Link

Replying To beano:  "I bet there isn't a club in the country that doesn't have transfers in and out. Very few have 'amalgamated' with their neighbours though. All for gain"
"All for gain" ????
Isn't every move, transfer or whatever, for gain ? It could be players gain, or the clubs gain, but it's always for somebody's gain.
And of course there are always transfers, but that's beside the point. You made reference to "home grown" which I think is a bit rich, coming from your club background.

yelowbelly (Wexford) - Posts: 346 - 30/01/2018 23:01:42    2072637

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "One man one club for life is near impossible in modern life, people move for different reasons, clubs joining together is nothing new in the gaa be it for gain or survival. Best of luck to tara rocks and lets hope hurling is the winner here.
Ballyhale shamrocks is really only a new club no more than 40 years old, the shamrock representative of the three clubs that joined together, if this was for gain it worked for hurling and Kilkenny hurling in General ."
what a load of sh*te....

lots of men play one club all those lives... our club have 11 lads based in Dublin... none have left.

comc (Wexford) - Posts: 88 - 31/01/2018 08:01:35    2072675

Link

Replying To comc:  "what a load of sh*te....

lots of men play one club all those lives... our club have 11 lads based in Dublin... none have left."
Could not agree with you more, drove up and down from Dublin with 2 first cousins for 20 years from mid 80's to 06 to play with our club in the south of county(when roads were rubbish and was a 6 hr journey) as club was small and numbers were crucial, but more to the point it was our identity and pulling on that jersey was the best feeling ever.

bottletopbill (Wexford) - Posts: 9 - 31/01/2018 21:58:36    2072923

Link