Derry Forum

Derry vs UUJ

(Oldest Posts First)

The McKenna cup is starting back and I am getting fairly Excited, we start off against UUJ next Wednesday which will be an easy win. I am looking forward to see how McErlain lines out and plays this game. I will be expecting alot if the U-20s to be playing In this game. It will show how the League could plan out for us but I will be keeping an eye on the Armagh game more next Sunday as the team that will probably be starting will have a fair number of the lads who will be starting in the League, so the Armagh game will have a bigger vision on the League. Down side for Derry is that the Sleachtneil lads will not be there as they are preparing for their All-Ireland campaign and could be out for a huge part of the League which is a disadvantage, if we want promotion. Not complaining on my behalf though. As for this match I expect a large margin between both teams, looking forward to it.
Derry 9+

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 659 - 26/12/2017 15:30:54    2066016

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "The McKenna cup is starting back and I am getting fairly Excited, we start off against UUJ next Wednesday which will be an easy win. I am looking forward to see how McErlain lines out and plays this game. I will be expecting alot if the U-20s to be playing In this game. It will show how the League could plan out for us but I will be keeping an eye on the Armagh game more next Sunday as the team that will probably be starting will have a fair number of the lads who will be starting in the League, so the Armagh game will have a bigger vision on the League. Down side for Derry is that the Sleachtneil lads will not be there as they are preparing for their All-Ireland campaign and could be out for a huge part of the League which is a disadvantage, if we want promotion. Not complaining on my behalf though. As for this match I expect a large margin between both teams, looking forward to it.
Derry 9+"
Very inexperienced Derry side named. Any word on how strong the UUJ side is. Could be a close game

ciaran1988 (Antrim) - Posts: 77 - 02/01/2018 23:57:38    2066540

Link

Very lucky to get the result, seemed an entertaining match but we need push our weight.
Keilt made a huge impact when came on and Ruarí Mooney looked to be impressive. I'm not going into details yet. I'll wait till the Armagh game.
We need a different starting 15 for the Armagh encounter.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 659 - 03/01/2018 21:54:44    2066693

Link

A few good performances from the debutants, however it was the same old Derry mentality. Defensively all over the place and UUJ opened us up like a hot knife through butter. The attacking side of our game was encouraging but we have to marry it with a strong defensive setup. It seems to me the new management team are going to play open expansive football, it might be nice on the eye but when we come up against the Donegals and Tyrones of this world they will destroy our defensive system.

He needs to go out there and entice Dermot McBride, Heavron and McKInless to come back into the set-up as we are lacking experience. We need these boys for the league as the Slaughtneil contingent are unavailable. To summarise, it was a young team with some of the debutants showing they haste the potential to play at intercounty level. Attacking side of our game was very pleasing to watch, however I am not sure on what defensive setup we are trying to play as it was opened up on numerous occasions like the Red Sea..

OakGael (Derry) - Posts: 287 - 04/01/2018 04:00:38    2066723

Link

Replying To OakGael:  "A few good performances from the debutants, however it was the same old Derry mentality. Defensively all over the place and UUJ opened us up like a hot knife through butter. The attacking side of our game was encouraging but we have to marry it with a strong defensive setup. It seems to me the new management team are going to play open expansive football, it might be nice on the eye but when we come up against the Donegals and Tyrones of this world they will destroy our defensive system.

He needs to go out there and entice Dermot McBride, Heavron and McKInless to come back into the set-up as we are lacking experience. We need these boys for the league as the Slaughtneil contingent are unavailable. To summarise, it was a young team with some of the debutants showing they haste the potential to play at intercounty level. Attacking side of our game was very pleasing to watch, however I am not sure on what defensive setup we are trying to play as it was opened up on numerous occasions like the Red Sea.."
I agree that he needs to entice Mc Bride and Mc Kindless, did he even select Mc Kindless in the first place, same as Heavron, not selected, completely nuts. Both are county player standard. I also believe that Bellaghy's Peter Cassidy should also be there, we need midfielders and he is very mobile, he is carrying Bellaghy. I don't see Paidraig CASSIDY from Sneil as being a county midfielder, not big enough, see him at whf. Mc Erlain worry's me. He needed a vastly experienced man in his management team.

MickeyMouse (Derry) - Posts: 173 - 17/01/2018 21:09:56    2068984

Link