Donegal Forum

U17s and U20s

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Good win for your 17s today anyone at the game?

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 11 - 10/03/2018 22:28:45    2083266

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "Good win for your 17s today anyone at the game?"
I seen that a game of 2 halves apparently. Outscored by 13 scores to 10 but still won with the 2 goals. One a pen the other a keeper error. I hope to maybe get to one or 2 games over the next few weeks so will give feedback then but a good start for them.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 11/03/2018 00:15:23    2083278

Link

I see Jason McGee has opted to play for the under-20 team this year, some boost for them.

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/mcgee-elects-join-20-panel/

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1084 - 14/03/2018 09:46:54    2084444

Link

The right decision given the interrupted season Jason has had. Good boost to the U-20's and I would be hopeful Niall O'Donnell might join up with them too. Both players have loads of time ahead of them to play for the senior side. The jump up is quite a big one as we seen last year, this year and not just in Donegal but look at the young Kerry players alot of which won everything there is to win in underage football. Realistically Niall will only be a bit part player at best for the senior side. For the U-20's he can be the one of the top 5 players in the country.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 14/03/2018 11:29:11    2084476

Link

One less will he won't he conversation we will be having. Just the small issue of Niall O'Donnell now.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 14/03/2018 11:34:14    2084480

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "Good win for your 17s today anyone at the game?"
I was at the league game today. Good performance from Donegal who look to again have a strong underage team. Difficult to gauge the merits at this time of the year but again look to be producing quality young players. Fermanagh controlled alot of the earlier possession and the early scoreline flattered Donegal with the goal. Fermanagh had one very good morning midfielder and centre half forward. However the longer the game went on the more of a foothold Donegal took. Yet again a Donegal and Tyrone underage team will face each other in the opening round of the championship. Tough draw for both sides and given the frequency this is happening makes you wonder.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 24/03/2018 20:21:58    2087525

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "I was at the league game today. Good performance from Donegal who look to again have a strong underage team. Difficult to gauge the merits at this time of the year but again look to be producing quality young players. Fermanagh controlled alot of the earlier possession and the early scoreline flattered Donegal with the goal. Fermanagh had one very good morning midfielder and centre half forward. However the longer the game went on the more of a foothold Donegal took. Yet again a Donegal and Tyrone underage team will face each other in the opening round of the championship. Tough draw for both sides and given the frequency this is happening makes you wonder."
Huge win for the u-16s to-day as well 0-22 to 2-2 against down.The good work seems to be continuing.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 367 - 25/03/2018 00:09:20    2087595

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Huge win for the u-16s to-day as well 0-22 to 2-2 against down.The good work seems to be continuing."
Ya I seen that too. Another impressive result. But given the work been put in and consistent quality sides been produced in both Donegal and Tyrone, must be great for the rest of the provincial sides seeing them consistently getting drawn against one another. Law of averages would make u wonder. Like again this year meet in the first round.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 25/03/2018 03:20:52    2087597

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Ya I seen that too. Another impressive result. But given the work been put in and consistent quality sides been produced in both Donegal and Tyrone, must be great for the rest of the provincial sides seeing them consistently getting drawn against one another. Law of averages would make u wonder. Like again this year meet in the first round."
Anyone know the teams for the underage games at the weekend ?

LKGael (Donegal) - Posts: 213 - 26/03/2018 11:37:08    2088206

Link

Replying To LKGael:  "Anyone know the teams for the underage games at the weekend ?"
Team for the under 17 game is included with match report in the democrat. Cannot find a match report on the under 16 game.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 26/03/2018 14:43:13    2088311

Link

Big wins for your 16s and 17s today must be great work going on in Donegal

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 11 - 31/03/2018 23:30:13    2089841

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "Big wins for your 16s and 17s today must be great work going on in Donegal"
Yes the work that is going on at underage in Donegal is excellent. I did not get to see the U-16's yet but that is 2 big wins under Rory Kav. I got to see the U-17's against Fermanagh last weekend. They were down a few players but were impressive all the same. They played really nice football and their tackling forcing turnovers was top class for such a young side. Of course very difficult to compare their merits against the other young sides in the province. However having to face Tyrone (again) first up in the championship who similarly seem to have another strong side is far from ideal. I imagine the winners of that clash will be favourites to win Ulster.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 01/04/2018 15:39:51    2089951

Link

How will your 17's do against Banty's Monaghan in the final on Saturday?

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 11 - 10/04/2018 22:46:42    2092243

Link

Who do u20s play in Cship. This team won Ulster minor Cship so should be favs for u20s

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 134 - 11/04/2018 00:07:52    2092256

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "How will your 17's do against Banty's Monaghan in the final on Saturday?"
Impossible to say. I have only seen them play once in the flesh and while I was impressed I have no idea how that would match up against the other top sides in the province. I believe last weekend the scoreline could have been closer as Armagh could easily have scored another goal or 2. I was very surprised at the score and margin of victory that Monaghan achieved against Tyrone. Now it could have been a case of Tyrone wanting to keep their cards close to their chest and not wanting to play Donegal before the 28th but still u would not expect them to get beaten so comprehensively. Could Donegal have a similar mindset at the weekend especially with the game getting played on Tyrone soil. I am sure there will be plenty involved with the Tyrone set up watching the game closely so cannot rule it out. What I can say is that Donegal will have a very good half forward line and 2 decent midfielders. They tackle well and are quick on the counter attack. The Donegal backs are equally adept at going forward but if u give up too many goal chances u won't win many matches. Like I said I am only going on 1 game I seen in person and match reports. Hopefully going to the game and looking forward to seeing Shane O'Donnell play. I have only seen him on TV and video so far but from what I have seen he is just as an exciting talent as Niall. The seniors could have some forward line in 5/6 years with the 2 O'Donnells, the 2 Mcbreartys, MM in his twilight and an array of other attacking talent who have matured or still coming through.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 11/04/2018 03:00:26    2092262

Link

Why is the Cavan game not a curtain raiser to the senior game.I see it will be on in Derry on the 27th of May if we get through in the Senior game.Anybody know the logic behind this.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 367 - 13/04/2018 00:23:20    2092728

Link

Replying To gunman:  "Why is the Cavan game not a curtain raiser to the senior game.I see it will be on in Derry on the 27th of May if we get through in the Senior game.Anybody know the logic behind this."
No idea as to why not.

Due to an unforeseen change in circumstances I won't make it to Drumragh today for the U-17 league final. Best of luck to the team and management. There seems to be a bit of hype behind our opponents today given their manager. Saying that they are out again next week with a tough game against Derry so are sure to have an eye on that game. Similarly Donegal are out against Tyrone in 2 weeks time which will be the main priority. Looking at the league and the championship draw it looks like the possible best 4 sides in the province will be facing off in their first championship games. That includes ourselves against Tyrone and Derry against Monaghan. Tough for all involved with only one bite at the cherry. If anybody knows or comes across any live feeds for todays final it would be much appreciated if they could post on here.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 14/04/2018 11:17:33    2092969

Link

Disappointing result for the lads today. Looking like Monaghan have a serious side for the grade this year. That is 2 massive scores against Tyrone last week and Donegal this week. Hopefully the lads can get refocused for 2 weeks time and a big game with Tyrone.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1185 - 14/04/2018 16:04:42    2092992

Link