Donegal Forum

U17s and U20s

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I concur that the management did not get carried away with the hype after the Cavan game. In fact McDaid highlighted the fact that Derry were probably every bit as good if not better than Donegal so I very much doubt there was any underestimating or getting carried away going on. One of the players missing for Derry was their keeper so not as big a loss as some. I knew when the draw was made it was always going to be tricky even though I expected more from Cavan. My thinking was if we win the first 2 games an Ulster final was a cert and a title likely. Also I am not sure this was one of the best underage squads ever. Lots of potential yes but in reality probably not. I don't think Jason McGee was fit in fact I was surprised he played last week and again Sunday. The same goes for McCormick but having seen him play for LYIT in the Trench Cup I am not sure if he is in the same form as he was 2 years ago plus also just back from injury. The loss of the 2 Glenties lads was huge I feel. From what I heard on the commentary the Derry lads had the advantage physically and Gallagher would have given some parity. Also with Niall O'Donnell kept in check our next best forward from 2016 was McGettigan and he would have been worth a few points to us. If u remember in the 2016 minor final he got some great scores. We did could have played better on the day but got the job done all the same. I think our free taking was not great last Sunday but Derry's free taker was excellent. Also according to the match reports and on the radio some of the ref's calls in the last 10-15 mins were questionable with some soft frees given to Derry but I stand to be corrected on that. Plus despite maybe not playing as well as we could Donegal had enough chances by all accounts to force extra time but did not take them. Those are the small margins. I would say the minor side of 2015 who would be under 21 this year were a more talented bunch than this. They also lost to a Derry side probably inferior to the one who beat Donegal on Sunday. These are the small margins but good luck to Derry they outscored Donegal by 16 scores to 11 and missed a penalty. They faced adversity throughout especially after the goals plus having a man sent off and still won. That shows great character especially for such a young team and that despite what we might think they thoroughly deserved their win on the day. On the plus side we know Niall O'Donnell, Jason McGee and Peader Mogan are certain future senior panelists. Also a player I was not aware of Paddy Dolan is one to really watch. In fact I believe he was the player who really kept Donegal in it. Disappointing end to the underage season in the county. However lets hope over the next few years we have a team or teams to get excited about again. Starting with next years U-17's likely to be led by Rory Kav. I also think our U-20 side could be competitive and are not as bad as some might think because of the loss to Antrim last year.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1483 - 04/06/2018 17:23:49    2107355

Link

Dolan was very good. Serious pace and finish for the goal.

On a separate note, posters on here clearly trying to blame management and make it sound like our 20s team couldn't defeat an under 8s club team!!, are a bit over the top.

Put your agenda aside and support each management group in place. Add constructive criticism when appropriate. We lost by a point to a very good team. That happens. We had some injuries and hung in well to a team who had some great options.

Also, a sidenote on Rory Gallagher. I hope the people who chased him out of the county realise how talented a manager he is now. We were in transition but the premier league mindset was well out in force.

Beating Monaghan and holding them to 10 points is serious with that squad he has. Hope if we get to the final we win, but he'll know us inside out. Wouldn't begrudge him an Ulster title but not at our hands. Think he has proven his point to everyone at this stage.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 149 - 04/06/2018 20:06:42    2107411

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Dolan was very good. Serious pace and finish for the goal.

On a separate note, posters on here clearly trying to blame management and make it sound like our 20s team couldn't defeat an under 8s club team!!, are a bit over the top.

Put your agenda aside and support each management group in place. Add constructive criticism when appropriate. We lost by a point to a very good team. That happens. We had some injuries and hung in well to a team who had some great options.

Also, a sidenote on Rory Gallagher. I hope the people who chased him out of the county realise how talented a manager he is now. We were in transition but the premier league mindset was well out in force.

Beating Monaghan and holding them to 10 points is serious with that squad he has. Hope if we get to the final we win, but he'll know us inside out. Wouldn't begrudge him an Ulster title but not at our hands. Think he has proven his point to everyone at this stage."
You make some great points regarding the U-20's and the management. But I do not agree with you regarding Rory. I wish him well and no doubt he has done a good job with Fermanagh but he was not a good match for Donegal. I think the parting was best for both sides. Maybe he learned from his mistakes and got a good team around him especially with Mcmenamin. Remember he did say that Donegal would struggle to stay in the top 10 sides when parting which was a ridiculous comment in my opinion. Lets focus on next weekend and take it from there. But I would love Donegal to have the opportunity of playing Fermanagh in the final.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1483 - 04/06/2018 20:38:58    2107425

Link

Replying To TheRock2121:  "Dolan was very good. Serious pace and finish for the goal.

Beating Monaghan and holding them to 10 points is serious with that squad he has. Hope if we get to the final we win, but he'll know us inside out. Wouldn't begrudge him an Ulster title but not at our hands. Think he has proven his point to everyone at this stage."
Rory used the same tactics yesterday that he used for 3 years under Donegal and fair play it worked. Every players bar one forward behind the ball, trying to force turnovers and break at speed. There is nothing new in this and Monaghan should have been prepared. Fermanagh built up a lead and sat back in the second half instead of pushing on and winning it when in the ascendency, sounds very familiar to us Donegal fans. Maybe he will be a better fit for Fermanagh but we were awful last year under him with the same players available to him as Declan Bonner has. Declan Bonner may not be perfect but at least he is trying to get us playing some football again and I would take him any day over Rory.

Sorry lad rant over. Some poster on the main forum referred to Rory as a genius lol. BTW I agree with your comments on the u20 team and management.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1309 - 04/06/2018 21:01:42    2107436

Link

Hi TheRock2121: Check out what Rory Gallagher has won in his own right as a manager with clubs or county.

AudiMan (Donegal) - Posts: 352 - 04/06/2018 21:30:04    2107448

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Rory used the same tactics yesterday that he used for 3 years under Donegal and fair play it worked. Every players bar one forward behind the ball, trying to force turnovers and break at speed. There is nothing new in this and Monaghan should have been prepared. Fermanagh built up a lead and sat back in the second half instead of pushing on and winning it when in the ascendency, sounds very familiar to us Donegal fans. Maybe he will be a better fit for Fermanagh but we were awful last year under him with the same players available to him as Declan Bonner has. Declan Bonner may not be perfect but at least he is trying to get us playing some football again and I would take him any day over Rory.

Sorry lad rant over. Some poster on the main forum referred to Rory as a genius lol. BTW I agree with your comments on the u20 team and management."
Referring to the actual game itself. Without Quigley and a keeper who couldn't reach past his own half back line! Don't agree with complete negative fball and can see why so many are glad to see him go. But for me, it's credit where it's due.

TheRock2121 (Donegal) - Posts: 149 - 04/06/2018 21:36:05    2107450

Link

Strange to see posters praising U20 management and in same post questioning whether players were fit, surely if players weren't fit management wouldn't have played them.

erneboys (Fermanagh) - Posts: 22 - 04/06/2018 21:44:06    2107457

Link

Replying To erneboys:  "Strange to see posters praising U20 management and in same post questioning whether players were fit, surely if players weren't fit management wouldn't have played them."
Not praising but defending them. It was put out there that the management might have took Derry lightly when in fact the manager was quoted as saying the opposite. I have not seen the game so I cannot really comment on what they could have done tactically to change things in terms of the game itself. As for players fitness given the players in question especially Jason McGee it was a risk they had to take simple as. To be fair I think he done reasonably well last Sunday up until taking a knock and then the legs ran out. While the Cavan game was a relatively easy game they still had to win it. Given it was also played in searing heat the way the fixtures came probably suited Derry more.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1483 - 04/06/2018 22:39:48    2107479

Link

Rory Gallagher is some boy in that he's been able to infiltrate a discussion on donegal u17s and u20s !! He really is a genius☺

Back to topic, it's interesting that Leinster have created a league for their under 20 competition and I suppose gives everyone at least a second chance and at least three games. I don't quite know why the ulster council needed to play the matches off so quickly or could not at least give more of a break between matches. They really have not impressed with their under 21 schedule last year and the under 20 this year. As panamasam has pointed out there was absolutely no need to link that game to a senior ulster semi final that neither team was involved in. It's really unfair on supporters of both teams.

Some form of league especially at under age always strikes be as a much better to run off a championship, it's fairer and gives players more opportunity to play and develop. I suppose it would put extra pressure on clubs and the players with exams. Perhaps playing it somewhat in tandem with the national leagues. Under 20 players either play national league or under 20 and not both. Later in the year if a player is good enough they can play senior championship. I suppose a little like con o'callaghan last year. I realise though this may interfere with sigerson or fresher competitions and maybe even schools football. Another option is to player it later in the year - say october/November. This may overlap with provionsal club championships but impact should be less. Anyhow just some ideas.

Ulsterchamps_32 (Donegal) - Posts: 87 - 04/06/2018 23:00:55    2107495

Link

very disappointed with result for u20 team . This team has some very talented players on board from previous good minor teams and had expected them to win Ulster at least this year. They have been in training since long before Christmas and had looked like a very good backroom team on board. So what went wrong , will be very interesting at next County Board meeting to hear Managers views on what went wrong, also would be very interested in the cost of preparing this team and a break down of same to see if we are getting value for money for all the training and experts attached to team .

culmore (None) - Posts: 1295 - 05/06/2018 09:40:12    2107557

Link

Dissapointing result although Derry were good but still felt we had a ulster winning team. A lack of sharpness to Mc gee and Mc Cormack prob let us down. I felt the competition was ran at the wrong time when you have lads pulling out because of exams that tells you the though the big wigs in Croke Park put into it. Hopefully the management will stay on board next year I really rate Mc daid. One intersting tweet I seen on twitter on Sunday from a prominent club person was thank god we lost that at least now the clubs can get there players back. It took me by surprise but this person was only voicing his clubs opinion. As I say if competition was run off later in year you wudnt be reading these comments.

rorysboys (Donegal) - Posts: 431 - 05/06/2018 12:24:03    2107644

Link

Prior to the U-20 competition I would have put Derry slightly ahead of Donegal when you put the minor teams of 2016 and 2017 together.Donegal were better in 2016 but Derry were miles better in 2017.However I bought in to the notion that we had a very professional management team which I thought might swing it back in our direction.Reading to days paper it would appear that indisipline on the sideline turned the referee totally against us in the last quarter,nothing very professional about that and shades of a couple of years ago against Tyrone in the U-21

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 05/06/2018 17:54:51    2107793

Link

will the County Board take any action against the Management team and their shenanigans on the side-line during the game , surely it cant help the players when they see the management involved in this type of thing and one of the management sent to the stand .

culmore (None) - Posts: 1295 - 05/06/2018 22:04:12    2107869

Link

Replying To culmore:  "will the County Board take any action against the Management team and their shenanigans on the side-line during the game , surely it cant help the players when they see the management involved in this type of thing and one of the management sent to the stand ."
What went on? Who was sent to the stand?

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 213 - 05/06/2018 23:11:36    2107894

Link

Ok before we get on our high horses asking the county board to do this or that who was actually at the game? Because if u were not then maybe the management had legitimate claims to be upset. Anybody who listened to the commentary will testify that Derry deserved their win but also it was commented that there were some questionable decisions given against Donegal including a free not given at the end which even the Derry manager says should have been given.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1483 - 05/06/2018 23:33:39    2107904

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Ok before we get on our high horses asking the county board to do this or that who was actually at the game? Because if u were not then maybe the management had legitimate claims to be upset. Anybody who listened to the commentary will testify that Derry deserved their win but also it was commented that there were some questionable decisions given against Donegal including a free not given at the end which even the Derry manager says should have been given."
I wasn't at game but listened to it on radio. Based on commentary we were beaten by the better team. A Derry team that were missing 3 or 4 of their best players that were on the senior team. But if there was ill discipline on the line by the management, then there's no excuse. It's no example to underage players and let's the county down, no matter what the referee was like!

fatkeeper (Dublin) - Posts: 213 - 06/06/2018 09:20:11    2107951

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Ok before we get on our high horses asking the county board to do this or that who was actually at the game? Because if u were not then maybe the management had legitimate claims to be upset. Anybody who listened to the commentary will testify that Derry deserved their win but also it was commented that there were some questionable decisions given against Donegal including a free not given at the end which even the Derry manager says should have been given."
I wasn't at the game either but I am going by what the reporter in the paper said who I presume was at the match,a reporter that is not known for going over the top and always gives a very balanced view.

gunman (Donegal) - Posts: 459 - 06/06/2018 10:34:52    2107969

Link

Exactly so not at the match but going on the words of others. Do we actually know what decisions have riled the management? I agree that the commentary did say the better team won but there were also some very dubious calls in terms of frees against and not given. The management have been training this team since before Christmas and put in serious work. I listened to the interview with McDaid last night and devastated is putting it lightly. So of course they might have got riled if they felt they were not getting parity from the officials. Credit to them that they did not make any excuses after. The same can be said of Donnelly the Derry manager who said Donegal should have had a free at the end. As for the Derry team they were down 2 players. They had 4 players involved with the senior panel but only 2 played meaning the other 2 were eligible as the rule was changed. One of the players was the goal keeper so I still think Derry had the advantage when it came to player resources especially when you consider the lack of game time Jason McGee had going in.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 1483 - 06/06/2018 12:19:25    2108017

Link