Mayo Forum

2018 Connacht FBD League

(Oldest Posts First)

Anyone know where I can get the full fixture list for the 2018 Connacht FBD League? The Connacht GAA website is a disaster for fixtures and results in comparison to the other provincial websites. I have our own fixtures thanks to Mayo GAA.

LeftHalfBack10 (Mayo) - 18/12/2017 17:30:10    2065534

Link

any word of new players getting a chance during the FBD league

culmore (None) - 29/12/2017 14:29:48    2066150

Link

Some unknowns appear set to get a chance,some who would be better off at home ,getting a chance,some who deserve a chance getting a chance,No information at all about what clubs are being represented. Some who should get a chance, not getting a chance. The last bit of scouting done by some members of the management was at Carton house watching the Irish Rugby team training.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - 06/01/2018 16:16:46    2067099

Link

Replying To Brinsley Swartz:  "Some unknowns appear set to get a chance,some who would be better off at home ,getting a chance,some who deserve a chance getting a chance,No information at all about what clubs are being represented. Some who should get a chance, not getting a chance. The last bit of scouting done by some members of the management was at Carton house watching the Irish Rugby team training."
One man from a junior club is getting a go but doesn't seem too many from the junior scene are getting a look in. Why? Possibly not the required level of fitness or skill. Possibly the old snobbery from the from the levels above, who knows. When you look at Kerry and the amount of junior players that make the grade at inter county and have a real outlet to experience the higher levels of club football. It's an old argument talked to death on here with no outcome in it.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - 08/01/2018 08:34:28    2067272

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "One man from a junior club is getting a go but doesn't seem too many from the junior scene are getting a look in. Why? Possibly not the required level of fitness or skill. Possibly the old snobbery from the from the levels above, who knows. When you look at Kerry and the amount of junior players that make the grade at inter county and have a real outlet to experience the higher levels of club football. It's an old argument talked to death on here with no outcome in it."
Difference with Kerry is that there are divisional sides playing in the senior championship (and junior teams playing senior league!) allowing junior players to test themselves in senior football.

Has this ever happened in the Mayo championship? I do remember a few junior sides came together to form West Mayo in the early 2000s, didn't last very long though.

Gleebo (Mayo) - 08/01/2018 17:25:38    2067375

Link

Brian Cody has used and promoted several Junior players over the years. So have successive Dublin managers.Kieran Kilkenny was a junior club player when he first wore a Dublin jersey. The Brogans play for a club that whilst a senior club now was in the past an amalgamation of two junior clubs. Yes there is a snobbery in Mayo. However ask the former senior clubs who are languishing in Junior how hard it is to get out of Junior. The auld stock are alive and well
and permeate the whole system. For years through the reigns of Maughan [Mark1]Holmes,[Mark i] Maughan[mark 2]
Mickey Moran, Horan,Holmes /Connolly, there was very few junior players as consisent starters or even long term panel members.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - 10/01/2018 13:06:06    2067641

Link

Why is boyler playing tonight? Surely he should be rested through these competitions!
Who cares if we lose as long as the new stock get a chance and perform!!

dollarbills (Mayo) - 10/01/2018 16:29:34    2067665

Link

Replying To dollarbills:  "Why is boyler playing tonight? Surely he should be rested through these competitions!
Who cares if we lose as long as the new stock get a chance and perform!!"
He didn't go to Malaysia, maybe because of work commitments? Could be playing because he brings experience to a team lacking much senior experience?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - 10/01/2018 20:31:06    2067702

Link

Replying To dollarbills:  "Why is boyler playing tonight? Surely he should be rested through these competitions!
Who cares if we lose as long as the new stock get a chance and perform!!"
No harm in having an experienced all star lining out with such a young team. I'm sure there were nerves there among some players last night. FBD only but your still lining out for the mayo seniors

yew_tree (Mayo) - 11/01/2018 18:30:04    2067856

Link

Anybody we should watch out for tonight? As a north mayo man I am excited to see Peter Naughton. The couple of times I seen him last year he was a joy to watch. Not many players have a dummy or step like his. Ciaran Tracey another exciting one. Hopefully replace the dead wood,

bonnyandclyde (Mayo) - 12/01/2018 14:43:40    2067974

Link

Ok, i've seen all the opening games and I doubt very much if the management are at all worried about losing these opening practice sessions. In fairness they're meaningless, but get the rustiness out of gym bones, etc. Good that the elder statesmen are being rested, also good to give new players a chance to flex their muscles and all that. Weather and pitches make decent football impossible, even dangerous, so i'd imagine some are watching themselves in case they leave the fray before anything serious starts. We all know there's not a huge amount of lads who can make the panel and get on the A team. I just wonder if we're reaching the end game with regard to players wanting to give up their life to try and play county football? Is it worth it?, is the abuse worth it?, is a relationship or lack of one worth it? etc, etc. No doubt but Mayo will battle on for this season, but there's quite a few Mayo's out there and i've a feeling the whole system might cause serious problems very soon. But for now, 1st league match coming up soon enough, that will tell us a few things one way or the other.

davittsman (Mayo) - 14/01/2018 16:16:45    2068243

Link

Management wont be too worried about the results,how they interpret the performances of newcomers only they know themselves. Contrary to reports and comments in the "Western",a forensic look at line ups and players used will show that there was no glaring lack of inter county experience on view,considering the nature of the competition.

The National League games versus Galway and the championship game against the same opposition on May 12 will certainly have a big bearing on the future of both squads and management teams.

Brinsley Swartz (Mayo) - 16/01/2018 13:44:12    2068694

Link