Westmeath Forum

St. Loman's v Moorefield

(Oldest Posts First)

Incredible game with unbelievable finish. Lomans 6 up with 6 mins of normal time remaining.
Sometimes the best team doesn't win.
Yes Lomans didn't help themselves in the closing stages but I guess once the goal went it the momentum swung big time. I thought it was heading for a fair draw at that stage.
Should the last point have counted as the free appeared to be last kick of game ?
Overall I thought the referee did a great job in difficult conditions and both teams served up a cracker of a game.
A relatively young Lomans team will be back but this was a once in a lifetime chance for a provincial title.
Will Luke stay on ?

BigSur (Westmeath) - Posts: 580 - 17/12/2017 17:00:22    2065440

Link

Super game but has to go down as awful game management on and off the pitch. Lomans played some beautiful football in the second half.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 429 - 17/12/2017 18:59:05    2065460

Link

Replying To BigSur:  "Incredible game with unbelievable finish. Lomans 6 up with 6 mins of normal time remaining.
Sometimes the best team doesn't win.
Yes Lomans didn't help themselves in the closing stages but I guess once the goal went it the momentum swung big time. I thought it was heading for a fair draw at that stage.
Should the last point have counted as the free appeared to be last kick of game ?
Overall I thought the referee did a great job in difficult conditions and both teams served up a cracker of a game.
A relatively young Lomans team will be back but this was a once in a lifetime chance for a provincial title.
Will Luke stay on ?"
How do you make the referee had a good game. One Moorefield defender struck two players with his fist and nothing was done about it and he was also about to give their midfielder a yellow card, until he realized he had one already. Poor decision. And to add to all that the five minutes of extra time was up when the last kick out was taken.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 1645 - 17/12/2017 19:11:40    2065461

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "How do you make the referee had a good game. One Moorefield defender struck two players with his fist and nothing was done about it and he was also about to give their midfielder a yellow card, until he realized he had one already. Poor decision. And to add to all that the five minutes of extra time was up when the last kick out was taken."
agreed the Moorefield player should have walked for the strike

Lomans should have shut the game down but kept giving away the ball

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1527 - 17/12/2017 22:28:33    2065481

Link

Hard luck to Lomans today but the one thing I can not say was the of decisions from the referee's that lost it for them.
They were. 6 points up going into injury time of 5 mins
Moorfeild scored their golden goal and heartache struck again when McSharry was sent of on second yellow.
This then brought the game back to 2 pts which they kicked over without return.
But winner point from wing half back stole the title with a fine point in the 66 min of the game.
Listening to comments regarding the score but from my view it was a valid point for the Kildare side.
My view on the referee was he had a good day, but Moorfield wing back number 4 should have seen red early in the second half.
Its tough way to lose a game ,but it was the exact same situation with their game against Longford Champions Mullinalaghta.
They got a gift goal in injury time and kicked of the points.

It was a great game of football for any neutral,
Showing skills of the highest quality.

Lomans came from been down against Simionstown in there match, they may have felt the game was over they had it won and took the foot of the petal.
It was a great game of football for any neutral,
Showing skills of the highest quality.

Supervalue (Longford) - Posts: 16 - 17/12/2017 23:42:38    2065486

Link

Regardless of referee Lomans were 6 points to the good with a couple of minutes to go. They tried to play keep ball in their own back line and it badly backfired. The defence was terrible for some of the scores in that injury time particularly the goal where Sweeney was unmarked and the winning point, for a Moorefield man to collect the ball 6 or 7 yards out, turn and pop it over the bar with no pressure from a Lomans defender was unbelievable.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 747 - 18/12/2017 10:06:50    2065493

Link

Lomans got what they deserved. They tried to be to clever wasting time and throwing the ball back for the free. Lomans fans complaining about the ref need to have another look at the game. I remember Sweeney picking up a ball in the 2nd half and get a shoulder straight in the face and lomans actually got a line ball from it. Number 11 sticking his tongue out and pointing at the crowd should feel embarrassed today.

wd45 (Westmeath) - Posts: 177 - 18/12/2017 11:48:57    2065502

Link

Replying To wd45:  "Lomans got what they deserved. They tried to be to clever wasting time and throwing the ball back for the free. Lomans fans complaining about the ref need to have another look at the game. I remember Sweeney picking up a ball in the 2nd half and get a shoulder straight in the face and lomans actually got a line ball from it. Number 11 sticking his tongue out and pointing at the crowd should feel embarrassed today."
agree wd 45. As in county final a bit too much show boating.

jfd (Westmeath) - Posts: 163 - 18/12/2017 13:02:18    2065517

Link

Replying To jfd:  "agree wd 45. As in county final a bit too much show boating."
Get a grip lads ffs! A young lad celebrating scoring a goal in a Leinster final is hardly committing a crime.

JohnyDuncan (UK) - Posts: 66 - 18/12/2017 16:12:02    2065529

Link

Replying To JohnyDuncan:  "Get a grip lads ffs! A young lad celebrating scoring a goal in a Leinster final is hardly committing a crime."
3 lads ran over to high five him
their minds were on the celebrations in the fence

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1527 - 18/12/2017 17:54:52    2065536

Link

Replying To valley84:  "3 lads ran over to high five him
their minds were on the celebrations in the fence"
He scored a great goal and 2 great points. Entitled to celebrate. Hope to see him playing for Westmeath.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 429 - 19/12/2017 08:22:43    2065562

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "How do you make the referee had a good game. One Moorefield defender struck two players with his fist and nothing was done about it and he was also about to give their midfielder a yellow card, until he realized he had one already. Poor decision. And to add to all that the five minutes of extra time was up when the last kick out was taken."
Agree with the strike comment but the injury time is a minimum of 5 minutes and there was plenty that went on to justify going over the 5.

The ref was quite good outside of the one striking decision I thought and I certainly don't think Loman's can blame him for the loss. They really hit the panic button when the goal went in. I can't remember ever seeing a team make as many silly decisions in such a short period of time. The game management was really poor

anon (None) - Posts: 302 - 19/12/2017 12:36:40    2065588

Link