Sligo Forum

Sligo hurling structures

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi,
I'm just wondering how strong the game currently is within sligo. Im talking about the club scene at adult level. I know there is a championship but is there a league? How many competitive games does a club Hurler expect to play in a season?
If Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim agreed to forego their internal leagues(if any) would a two division combined counties league be feasible?
Thks

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 06/12/2017 13:08:20    2064540

Link

Replying To Tadhgmacda:  "Hi,
I'm just wondering how strong the game currently is within sligo. Im talking about the club scene at adult level. I know there is a championship but is there a league? How many competitive games does a club Hurler expect to play in a season?
If Roscommon, Mayo, Sligo and Leitrim agreed to forego their internal leagues(if any) would a two division combined counties league be feasible?
Thks"
There is the Demot Molloy Hurling league which takes place around April/May which consists of the Sligo clubs, along with Manorhamilton and Carrick from Leitrim, and Castlebar and Tooreen from Mayo. There are 2 groups (one with 5 teams and one with 4 teams). The north Sligo teams along with manor and Carrick play on a round robin basis while the south Sligo teams along with Castlebar and Tooreen play their round robin phase. Top two teams from each group then goes onto the semi finals of the league which is played usually after the championship in the Autumn. There is also the Martin Brennan cup that is played on a knockout- basis with the Sligo teams participating. So you have one quarter-final and 2 semi finals. There was also the Tain league held in Jan/Feb but not sure if that's still on the go? An average club player would be looking at about 12-15 games. With the amount of clubs playing hurling in sligo, they do a good job filling up the GAA calender!

from_the_21 (USA) - 06/12/2017 17:45:38    2064558

Link

Replying To from_the_21:  "There is the Demot Molloy Hurling league which takes place around April/May which consists of the Sligo clubs, along with Manorhamilton and Carrick from Leitrim, and Castlebar and Tooreen from Mayo. There are 2 groups (one with 5 teams and one with 4 teams). The north Sligo teams along with manor and Carrick play on a round robin basis while the south Sligo teams along with Castlebar and Tooreen play their round robin phase. Top two teams from each group then goes onto the semi finals of the league which is played usually after the championship in the Autumn. There is also the Martin Brennan cup that is played on a knockout- basis with the Sligo teams participating. So you have one quarter-final and 2 semi finals. There was also the Tain league held in Jan/Feb but not sure if that's still on the go? An average club player would be looking at about 12-15 games. With the amount of clubs playing hurling in sligo, they do a good job filling up the GAA calender!"
Thks for reply.
Would it be feasible to extend the Dermot Molloy League to include all clubs in those 4 counties and grade it in two divisions based on merit?

Tadhgmacda (Limerick) - 07/12/2017 12:14:30    2064605

Link